Building my first super Hackintosh

16 posts in this topic

I am seriously thinking about buying a new computer (my current one is at least 15 years out of date)

I will mainly use this computer for Gaming, but I would really like to get it compatible with osx as much as possible.

STRICT Budget $1,400 (Includes the tower and os)

Case: I don't really care something that lights up with a built in fan i guess.

PSU: 600 watts?

GFX: Nvidia SLI so like 2x 8600GT?

RAM: 2GB DDR3

CPU: INTEL 2.6 Ghz (It would be nice to have one of those majorly overclockable ones)

MotherBoard: I have no idea.... Something that will support all of the other hardware and is good for gaming.

Sound: Sound Blaster X-FI

Wired Ethernet: Something that is lag resistant.

HDD: SATA 350GB

Disk Drive: Standard CD/DVD +-RW DL

Thanks a lot for your help

I am seriously thinking about buying a new computer (my current one is at least 15 years out of date)

Gracious God! What is it, a C64? ;)

I will mainly use this computer for Gaming, but I would really like to get it compatible with osx as much as possible.

STRICT Budget $1,400 (Includes the tower and os)

Case: I don't really care something that lights up with a built in fan i guess.

PSU: 600 watts?

GFX: Nvidia SLI so like 2x 8600GT?

RAM: 2GB DDR3

CPU: INTEL 2.6 Ghz (It would be nice to have one of those majorly overclockable ones)

MotherBoard: I have no idea.... Something that will support all of the other hardware and is good for gaming.

Sound: Sound Blaster X-FI

Wired Ethernet: Something that is lag resistant.

HDD: SATA 350GB

Disk Drive: Standard CD/DVD +-RW DL

Thanks a lot for your help

Your budget is plenty!

PSU: I'd go for more power and buy a quality one, like an Enermax (don't save money on your PSU!)

GFX: I am not much of a gamer, but probably I'd go for a single, better card (8800GT? 8800GTX?)

RAM: it is common belief that you can't take much advantage of DDR3 yet. In any case I'd go for at least 4GB.

CPU: buy a Quad. Penryns aren't the big deal many want you to believe. Nehalems will be.

MOBO: I like the Bad Axe 2, but I am sure plenty of people will rush to say that it is not the latest and greatest. However its OS X compatibility and overall reliability are difficult to beat.

HDD: buy a fast one, like a WD Raptor. Buy a cheaper, second one for storage.

Good luck!

XION Onyx XON-303 Black/Blue Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Item #: N82E16811208021

$69.99

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Item #: N82E16822136073

$104.99

XFX PVT88GYDF4 GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

Item #: N82E16814150261

$339.99

XION Supernova XON-600F14R-201 ATX12V 600W Power Supply - Retail

Item #: N82E16817190012

$114.99

Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model BL2KIT12864AA804 - Retail

Item #: N82E16820146565

$149.98

($74.99 each) Total of 4 GB

Intel BOXD975XBX2KR LGA 775 Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Item #: N82E16813121059

$219.99

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600 - Retail

Item #: N82E16819115017

$279.99

Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Ultimate for System Builders Single Pack DVD - OEM

Item #: N82E16832116215

$179.99

OK that is what i found

Could somene verify that all of those parts work together Please?

Thanks

My $0.02: Buy your computer case locally. Not worth it waiting around for slowpoke mail for a $40 case.

$1400 is ALOT to work with, I can build a computer that blows anything off the shelf at Best Buy for $700 (not really impressive, but that's beyond the point). If you have that extra cash kicking around, go with two 21" widescreen displays (provided your desk has the real estate :()

My recommendation:

GA P35-DS3P (what can I say, I think its awesome)

Q6600,( or e6750.)

8800GT 512 MB

4GB RAM (DDR2-800, CL4) (today I maxed out 2GB of RAM (Photoshop CS + ffmpeg conversion) (Fry's has 2*1GB for $35)

Antec Sonata III (500W included)

dual Acer 20" LCD (AL2016W) displays

Huey monitor calibrator (I'm typing from a calibrated Acer LCD, and it looks amazing)

Sony Nec Optiarc DVD burner (this is the best for 30. But, I suppose you could go better)

Mac OS X Leopard + Vista Home Premium 64 bit

this would put you at about 1500 (due to the OSes)

newegg got me my stuff (in San Diego) within two days

Yea...whoever said it is 100% righ penryn is going to look like crud when nehalem comes out....8 freakin cores!!!yea thats why im stickin to my amd 3500+ for now..I just hope AMD has competitive at the time...dang the only reason intel is churning this stuff out now is because they have to compete with AMD.

I don't want to sound like an {censored} but if you have $1,400 dollars to spend, why not to get an imac? At least you get the real deal and the imac is an awesome computer :)

Agree'd.

Bootcamp for games, it'll be faster than your 15-year out of date pc :(

I agree with the above posters who say the iMac is the way to go.

$1,400 with a student discount gets you the 20" iMac with the 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo and HD 2600 256MB Video card. Not a bad machine at all. I use mine for gaming in boot camp (and I have the RAM maxed out to 4GB 3rd party) and it works just great.

While this budget may not leave much room for 3rd party RAM, I am sure you can scrap up the additional $100 or so to get two 2GB sticks for it somehow, even if it means shoveling some snow for your neighbors or selling a few things you don't need around the house on eBay.

In the end you get legitimate iMac with iLife, a great looking machine that doesn't take up any space under your desk and uses relatively few cables, and you can play your games in Windows via Boot Camp.

No hackintosh headaces or lost weekends - if not weeks - trying to figure out weird kernel panics and mysterious errors, no torrenting for days on end the latest underground patches, and no fear of doing updates.

The only reason anyone would build or get a hackintosh is if they cannot afford a real mac, as they are expensive machines; in your case, that is clearly not the case.

Oh and Mac Mall has the older 2.16Ghz iMacs on sale for $1299 or $1399, the 24" white ones. That is also a great machine too, and within your budget.

So why not an iMac?

I agree with the above posters who say the iMac is the way to go.

$1,400 with a student discount gets you the 20" iMac with the 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo and HD 2600 256MB Video card. Not a bad machine at all. I use mine for gaming in boot camp (and I have the RAM maxed out to 4GB 3rd party) and it works just great.

While this budget may not leave much room for 3rd party RAM, I am sure you can scrap up the additional $100 or so to get two 2GB sticks for it somehow, even if it means shoveling some snow for your neighbors or selling a few things you don't need around the house on eBay.

In the end you get legitimate iMac with iLife, a great looking machine that doesn't take up any space under your desk and uses relatively few cables, and you can play your games in Windows via Boot Camp.

No hackintosh headaces or lost weekends - if not weeks - trying to figure out weird kernel panics and mysterious errors, no torrenting for days on end the latest underground patches, and no fear of doing updates.

The only reason anyone would build or get a hackintosh is if they cannot afford a real mac, as they are expensive machines; in your case, that is clearly not the case.

Oh and Mac Mall has the older 2.16Ghz iMacs on sale for $1299 or $1399, the 24" white ones. That is also a great machine too, and within your budget.

So why not an iMac?

You make a lot of good points but personally my reason for a hackintosh is you get a lot more for less. For $1400 you can have very close to top of the line. The iMac is nice but for me I like setting up dual sometimes even tri monitors and the iMac isn't to good at doing that. I DO love the mostly wirelessness of the iMac, but having such limited ports on the back is also a pain, especially for optical surround systems. I'm not trying to put down the iMac in anyway, it is great I too would love to have one, it just wouldn't be very convenient for my life style. I also heard a lot of games run slow through parallels and 256mb isn't cutting it for the games I would like to play.

• 2 weeks later...

Ummmm......no. not even remotely correct.

I can afford as many real iMac's, Mac Pro's, 30" displays as I want right now today, I work for a living and do just fine.

I got into this for the challenge and the fun of building my own system(s).

My goal is to have a perfectly stable 8 core system running Leopard in short order.

I already have the 8 core system running XP 64 and 32, and just yesterday successfully booted it into Leopard using Kalyway 10.5.1, everything works except onboard sound and one of the ethernet ports, the rest runs perfectly and I booted it off of a USB drive.

This system cost me close to 5 grand to build, and I am going to play with it and make it a Mac because I can.

I also have 7 other quad core machines I built, as well as a dual socket Opteron 285 system, and a few older dual core AMD systems laying around.

Dont mean to be an ass but that sounds like an Apple fanboy comment to me......