NForce SATA Controller

MeDevil

757 posts in this topic

I see the 12/31 kext disables support for MCP67, are there plans to support this in the future or are we out of luck?

MCP67 and later are know to work with ahci, please use that instead.

Now I deleted the Extensions.mkext off the DVD, edittetd the info.plist so it only has my SATA devID, put the FIRST version of the driver in the extension main folder, deleted the AppleNvidiaATA.kext in the plugin folder, and then booted off. Here's what I got:

AppleNForceATA: NVIDIA nForce MCP61 by MeDevil
AppleNForceATA::scanForDrives found 1 units.
AppleNForceATA: phy connection failed. status=0x00000000
*An error with IOUSBESCI.*
...Still waiting for Root device.

Is it that error that's keeping me from booting? If so, I'll try to post the rest here.

Meanwhile, I am going to try the Jas 10.4.8 DVD.

pata also? it looks that cd-dvd drive has no kext. is it sata or pata.

and also loaded to extension.kext mkext

Wow, i actually finally managed to write to my SATA hd! Dunno why it works now, but i copied AppleNForceATA.kext in the plugins folder of the IOATAFamily.kext and it is finally working, i have just formated a 20GB parition in leopard :)

Now im gonna try to install leopard on the SATA drive so i dont need to boot on a usb drive anymore :)

Thnx!

Edit: I know why it's working now, i removed all other dev id's and only kept mine (03F6) in the info.plist and that seems to have worked :)

Edit2: I restored my USB partition onto the sata partition, but i cant seem to boot like this, so i still will need to inject the kext into the dvd, i'll report back somewhere tomorrow :blink:

Leopard (IDE Install) + MCP 55 (evga 680i) NForce SATA Driver by MeDevil + Paragon NTFS + Moving/Copying Large Data (NTFS <-> HFS+) = Disaster (System Hangs)

Tried with alll combinations. HFS+ <-> HFS+, NTFS <-> HFS+ or NTFS <-> NTFS. Even though the speed is great around 45MB/s on my machine, it always crashes the OS X. I have to hold the power button to restart.

Also tried Carbon Copying my IDE install to SATA drive. After 3 to 4 tries I was finally able to clone it, because system hung in between most of the time. Trying to boot from SATA drive gives me "Still waiting for Root Device". My Sata partintion is primary and active. I see no errors before this. Looks like interrupts are also correctly assigned to each SATA drive (no 23). I am using the latest driver (31st Dec) and have removed all other device Ids from the info.plist other than my SATA & PATA controller. I have added 0xffff0000 as the Device Id at the end as someone suggested it might help with this error if you have more than one Nvidia Devices. It does not seem to work. If anybody have any ideas, please let me know.

Leopard (IDE Install) + MCP 55 (evga 680i) NForce SATA Driver by MeDevil + Paragon NTFS + Moving/Copying Large Data (NTFS <-> HFS+) = Disaster (System Hangs)

Tried with alll combinations. HFS+ <-> HFS+, NTFS <-> HFS+ or NTFS <-> NTFS. Even though the speed is great around 45MB/s on my machine, it always crashes the OS X. I have to hold the power button to restart.

Also tried Carbon Copying my IDE install to SATA drive. After 3 to 4 tries I was finally able to clone it, because system hung in between most of the time. Trying to boot from SATA drive gives me "Still waiting for Root Device". My Sata partintion is primary and active. I see no errors before this. Looks like interrupts are also correctly assigned to each SATA drive (no 23). I am using the latest driver (31st Dec) and have removed all other device Ids from the info.plist other than my SATA & PATA controller. I have added 0xffff0000 as the Device Id at the end as someone suggested it might help with this error if you have more than one Nvidia Devices. It does not seem to work. If anybody have any ideas, please let me know.

If you don't OC your system, it might be a little more stable. I set my system (cpu/ram) back to default...

Wow, i actually finally managed to write to my SATA hd! Dunno why it works now, but i copied AppleNForceATA.kext in the plugins folder of the IOATAFamily.kext and it is finally working, i have just formated a 20GB parition in leopard :)

Now im gonna try to install leopard on the SATA drive so i dont need to boot on a usb drive anymore :)

Thnx!

Edit: I know why it's working now, i removed all other dev id's and only kept mine (03F6) in the info.plist and that seems to have worked :)

Edit2: I restored my USB partition onto the sata partition, but i cant seem to boot like this, so i still will need to inject the kext into the dvd, i'll report back somewhere tomorrow :P

is the partition set to active, bootloader on?

An update: I managed to get Leopard up and running properly with MeDevil's driver. I found that Zephyroth won't install nvinject unless you select the 88xx drivers, and not having nvinject (even on my 7950) apparently will hang my system as soon as AppleNforceATA.kext is loaded.

So now I have everything almost running smoothly. I had to recompile Planetbeing's forcedeth-nockd driver without debug messages since that was the only version that brings up the 430 ethernet interface properly, but it sends out a huge amount of debugging info to the console which gets saved in the system log and impacts performance.

The last problem is a system delay/service hang at startup and shutdown which I am trying to track down. I don't know if it's related to the AppleNforceATA driver or not. I'll have dig a little deeper and experiment with kexts.

An update: I managed to get Leopard up and running properly with MeDevil's driver. I found that Zephyroth won't install nvinject unless you select the 88xx drivers, and not having nvinject (even on my 7950) apparently will hang my system as soon as AppleNforceATA.kext is loaded.

So now I have everything almost running smoothly. I had to recompile Planetbeing's forcedeth-nockd driver without debug messages since that was the only version that brings up the 430 ethernet interface properly, but it sends out a huge amount of debugging info to the console which gets saved in the system log and impacts performance.

The last problem is a system delay/service hang at startup and shutdown which I am trying to track down. I don't know if it's related to the AppleNforceATA driver or not. I'll have dig a little deeper and experiment with kexts.

remove intelcpu something kext?

Nah, it's something to do with ACPI -- at least that's what the logs show. There's a timeout occuring when it makes an IOKit call. On power off or reboot, the cpu is properly halted, but the motherboard never gets the ACPI signal to shut down or reboot. It's not a show stopper, but it is very annoying.

pata also? it looks that cd-dvd drive has no kext. is it sata or pata.

and also loaded to extension.kext mkext

I am pretty sure it's a SATA.

27589304jn3.jpg

Top is my DVD drive, and bottom is my HDD.

They both have the same DevID; what do I do? Here's what I have in info.plist;

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>

<string>English</string>

<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>

<string>AppleNForceATA</string>

<key>CFBundleGetInfoString</key>

<string>1.0.3, Copyright Domenico 'MeDevil' Colella. 2007</string>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.nvidia.driver.AppleNForceATA</string>

<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>

<string>6.0</string>

<key>CFBundleName</key>

<string>Apple NVIDIA nForce Driver</string>

<key>CFBundlePackageType</key>

<string>KEXT</string>

<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>

<string>1.0.3</string>

<key>CFBundleSignature</key>

<string>????</string>

<key>CFBundleVersion</key>

<string>1.0.3</string>

<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>

<dict>

<key>NForce ATA Driver</key>

<dict>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>AppleNForceATA</string>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>AppleNForceATAChannel</string>

</dict>

<key>NForce PATA Controller</key>

<dict>

<key>Hardware Name</key>

<string>NForce PATA</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>AppleNForceATARoot</string>

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x01bc10de 0x006510de 0x008510de 0x00d510de 0x00e510de 0x003510de 0x005310de 0x026510de 0x036e10de 0x03ec10de 0x044810de</string>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<integer>1000</integer>

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

<key>Serial ATA</key>

<false/>

</dict>

<key>NForce SATA Controller</key>

<dict>

<key>Hardware Name</key>

<string>NForce SATA</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>AppleNForceATARoot</string>

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x008e10de 0x00e310de 0x00ee10de 0x003610de 0x003e10de 0x005410de 0x005510de 0x026610de 0x026710de 0x037e10de 0x037f10de 0x03e710de 0x03f610de 0x03f710de 0x045c10de 0x045d10de 0x045e10de 0x045f10de</string>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<string>1000</string>

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

<key>Serial ATA</key>

<true/>

</dict>

</dict>

<key>OSBundleLibraries</key>

<dict>

<key>com.apple.iokit.IOATAFamily</key>

<string>1.5.0d1</string>

<key>com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily</key>

<string>1.1</string>

<key>com.apple.kernel.iokit</key>

<string>1.1</string>

</dict>

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>

<string>Local-Root</string>

</dict>

</plist>

As you can see, my DevID is already included; should I do something to the INfo.plist file still?

My system specs are as following:

Processor - AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6000+ 3.0Hz (Supports SSE2/SSE3, checked with CPUZ)

Motherboard - ECS Nettle2, chipset is NVIDIA MCP61.

Memory: DDR2, 3072 MBytes.

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6750SE nForce 430.

Disk Drive: SATA 500GB.

Try this

<string>0x008e10de 0x00e310de 0x00ee10de 0x003610de 0x003e10de 0x005410de 0x005510de 0x026610de 0x026710de 0x037e10de 0x037f10de 0x03e710de 0x03f610de 0x03f710de 0x045c10de 0x045d10de 0x045e10de 0x045f10de</string>

to this

Look under the SATA part btw :(

<string>0x03f610de</string>

It worked for me on my leopard install, but didnt have the time to try to inject it into the dvd...

Could someone tell us how to inject the kext the right way onto the DVD?

Could someone tell us how to inject the kext the right way onto the DVD?

Josh25 posted this link (#149):

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=67713

and debauchery1st condensed the instructions in post #163:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry562502

the method allows installation to SATA, but after installing, the kext will still need to be copied to the hard drive

I am pretty sure it's a SATA.

27589304jn3.jpg

Top is my DVD drive, and bottom is my HDD.

They both have the same DevID; what do I do? Here's what I have in info.plist;

As you can see, my DevID is already included; should I do something to the INfo.plist file still?

My system specs are as following:

Processor - AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6000+ 3.0Hz (Supports SSE2/SSE3, checked with CPUZ)

Motherboard - ECS Nettle2, chipset is NVIDIA MCP61.

Memory: DDR2, 3072 MBytes.

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6750SE nForce 430.

Disk Drive: SATA 500GB.

ehm so why is writen scsi?

ehm so why is writen scsi?

Because windows, as so linux, uses scsi command to communicate with the hd. Simple :blink:

Anyway, you can check if your driver is sata or not by looking at wich port it was attached.

Eg: if it is attached to a controller with vendor/device id like VEN10DE&DEV03f6 (0x03f610de) then it's surely attached as sata.

A list of sata/pata vendor/device ids is in the first post.

Everything working here but no WRITE on my NForce430. Any hints?

Can you be a little more precise about the whole thing? Eg: errors, file system used ecc ecc.

A little update: i'm currently installing leo 10.5.1 on my machine, and i'll write two different drivers to handle the pata and the sata part. They'll be called "NForceSata" and "NForcePata" (yep, obiviously i don't have much inventive! :) ), stay tuned for more news!

Regards,

Domenico.

Problem solved with Large Data copy. It was a problem with Paragon NTFS drivers. Installing the latest version solved that problem.

Still having problem booting from SATA drives with "Still waiting for Root Device".

just curious. is anyone able to boot from sata yet? right now im defragmenting my vista so i can shrink it enough to install osx. i don't wanna partition and stuff to learn it doesnt boot. i already injected into dvd and diskutil sees my sata so after defrag and shrinking i will be installing it. but to save head aches i wanna know can anyone boot from sata yet? mcp61 chipset