Recent abrasive-ness

16 posts in this topic

There are a lot of new users who use their twelve-year-old minds to do nothing but respond in the most abrasive way possible (and yes, I know that blanket statement is abrasive; it was done for effect). I'm getting the distinctive feeling that the forum has either completely lost its community feeling or is losing it very quickly.

Remember when we were all a great big happy family? I don't think we're heading back that way and it really saddens me.

I've noticed it too. Unfortunately, I think the community's been slowly heading this way ever since Swad left. It's just sped up a bit recently.

Too bad, really. This place used to be great. :(

• 2 weeks later...
Hop on the boat, theres room for a few more.

(This place is going under)

It's sad this place is going downhill and fast. This place used to be wonderful and we had this family feel. Now it just seems like the World of Warcraft forums--full of people who don't want to do anything else but attack someone or a subgroup. Not only is it awful, it's just pathetic.

I can't speak for others, but my abrasiveness is largely due to the fact that I spent a couple of weeks reading post after post and actually TRYING different things to get my hackintosh working. Due to recent hackintosh coverage on various sites there seems to have been an influx of people wanting to hackintosh that are under the impression it's a simple "plug the dvd in and it works" process. I've only been pissy towards people that had clearly not read any of the extensive posts OR asked a question that had already been asked and answered earlier in the same thread.

that and people that keep posting "here's my setup, will it work?" ...bloody try it and see!

This abrasiveness that you are talking about; is it in the real life and laughs forums, or is it in the main forums (OSx86 based)?

Regarding the main forums:

I think there is a solution to this problem of so many noob questions. What I remember from when I first showed up is that nothing was clear. I didn't know how to install a kext, how to search effectively (for anything), how to boot in verbose mode, there was no comprehensive and explanatory list of installs (kalyway, brazilmac, etc), and there was no good threads (that were accessible) that explained the "science" behind everything. But, I think the more experienced users among us (of which I include myself, in certain areas) could fix this. I, for one, have maintained a list of every problem I have had with hackintosh that I spent any significant amount of time on, along with solutions. Also, I have been compiling links (to posts) that deal with things I may care about in the future (using the 8800GT for one). I think if the experienced users did the same, and we all put it into one post, and stikied it in the installation section or elsewhere, it would be incredibly useful. Also, if you take the time to answer a question thoroughly, and it is something that you see alot, save the reply. Then, we can take these common replies, and put them in another (or the same) sticky.

If we do those two things, we will have solved 90% - 95% of all problems.

I have been thinking about this alot recently. So, I am going to go post my list of common mistakes, links, and replies in a thread. I would really appreciate it if you guys would post anything you have to contribute as well.

I don't care where he's putting his fingers. I just want the noob questions to stop.

</semi joking tone>

Here is the guide. I would really appreciate the help, because I don't feel like searching through tons of stuff. So from now on, if you answer someones question and it is a good answer, add it to the thread (if you want, or let it die a fast useless death in the oblivion of archival).

Here is the thread. It includes info on the various installs, how to go about installing osx86 in the first place (for a total noob), various random problems I encountered, and a list of install guides on the bottom.

Thanks! Now the challenge is to inform n00bs that this thread is there. Most of the time they don't even look and if they don't look they won't find your excellent FAQ :D

Maybe tell Admin to include a link to your FAQ in the Welcome email that gets sent to users when they first sign up :P

On one of my message boards, which happens to be a support board, I have included in the skin itself, in bold red letters: "Read the FAQ" with a link to the FAQ topic.

When posting a new topic, people are greeted with another banner that states that their questions will only be answered if not already addressed in the FAQ.

Actually in the FAQ topic itself they are invited to start their new topic with "I read the FAQ"; this will help expedite their issue.

I am not claiming that it's any kind of silver bullet; just something I do.

I don't think A Nonny Moose is pointing fingers at specific people...

No I wasn't pointing fingers at any specific people (although some do come to mind). The last thing I wanted to do was create a post to single someone out and say they do nothing but call people poopy heads.