Cheapest place to buy Leopard

24 posts in this topic

The price for the 5 user family pack is $179.00 from Amazon.com. That translates to $38.50 per user. You can buy however OEM single license media (disc only) for $13-$15 each at these stores:

http://www.costcentral.com/proddetail/Appl...N62778/froogle/

http://www.apc-usa.net/ssproduct.asp?pf_id=1011160600

http://www.supereasybuy.com/ssproduct.asp?pf_id=1011160600

https://usm.channelonline.com/maglobal/stor.../?id=M004160062

Thats about 3 times less the cost but I guess the Retail pack at Amazon is a pretty good deal too.

why don't you just buy a single license and install it 5 times? You could even use disk utitily and a dvd burner to make copies!

Are there any protections against this?

I got it for $69.99 at the UCSD bookstore

After reading one of the sites carefully, I noticed that it does not sell a license. It only sells the disk. So technically, you have to buy a license from apple as well

Wait what's the difference if they live in the same house or not? Does it go by the internet or what? Because if so, I use wireless so wouldn't I be able to have them install it here and then that's it? I'm not familiar with this so I apologize with the flood of questions lol

There is no difference. You can buy a single license of OS X or a copy without a license at all and install it on many computers as you like. Apple doesn't use insane protection schemes like MS does. Just buy one single license copy, let your friends install it on their computers, and then install it on your computer. Nothing should happen and it should all work out.

There is no difference. You can buy a single license of OS X or a copy without a license at all and install it on many computers as you like. Apple doesn't use insane protection schemes like MS does. Just buy one single license copy, let your friends install it on their computers, and then install it on your computer. Nothing should happen and it should all work out.

He is right, OSX has no WGA like XP or Vista.

I know that you can get it for free Amidst the Bay :angel::lol::angel:

The point of the Family Pack is if you want to stay true to Apple's EULA (End user license agreement) and then you LEGALLY can install on 5 computers. But makes no difference physically. Bottom line: Family pack = 5 licenses | license = imaginary

ahhh... So the one license on a single copy will work on multiple computers anyway.. gotcha. Alright.. well once again, thanks a TON for the information you all provided. Another reason why this board is amazing ha.

As long as you're 110% positive on the one license working more than once.. at least two or three times then you saved me some money.. haha

Yeah I'm positive its like that. Its been like that since the inception of OS X and there isn't any reason to change it now. Plus, if there was a copy protection scheme on Leopard, how are people installing BrazilMac and stuff with NO license problems and such AT ALL? It all points to that any copy of Leopard will work on any amount of computers.

Have fun with Leopard!

Yeah I'm positive its like that. Its been like that since the inception of OS X and there isn't any reason to change it now.

I can think of one good reason for Apple to change this policy - When the cost of people installing unlicensed copies of OS X based on the recommendations of people on forums outweighs the benefit of satisfied paying customers due to less hassle to install.

I'm poor and software isn't cheap.. I've talked like 5 of my friends into buying macs at 2k.. I'm not trying to bankrupt apple here..

oh and this was all hypothetically speaking......................

And as mentioned by Sarahbau hypothetically speaking when apple release their new os (10.6.x) they probably will implement a License just like M$ with vista/XP

Yes there will be hacks around it's solutions will be updates with blocked serial numbers (like XP SP2)so lets enjoy it while it lasts and as they haven't done it so far with 10.5.0/1 I dont think they could implement it with future updates

Still $15.00 at max apiece before tax isn't a bad deal. They could all order their own single user license copy of it. I know I am on payday. Never know when you may need it as my iMac came preloaded with Leopard, but they didn't give me a disk with it. Which makes me wonder how the Apple Authorized Dealer I got it from gets away with installing on several machines. Wonder if they grab a Leopard disk off the shelf and install or if they have the right to install on multiple machines without restrictions.