New nVidia GeForce 8800GTS rev2 card

cmdshft

31 posts in this topic

According to EggXpert.com, nvidia is/has released a revision of the 8800 GTS graphics card which used to be based on the G80 chipset, which is well known for being supported easily under Mac OS X.

The revision calls for an increase in GDDR3 memory, to 512MB or 1024MB, and will instead be using the G92 chipset. Why is this pertinant? Many of you know that the 8800 GT card does NOT work under OS X because it is a G92 based card. This means that the new 8800 GTS will no longer function under OS X.

Although this is a great card for Windows, I am dissapointed by this revision because support no longer exists under OS X.

Link 1

Link 2

g92_gts_real.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
Running or dragging? very low FPS with the BETA kexts...

Depends of the cards. With beta kexts, G80 are performing much better than with 10.5.1 one, and G92 perform really good too.

I guess 8400 doesn't from what you say, though the kexts will be updated again on 10.5.2 final and hopefuly will run right for you !

G92 performing well... Now c'mon, a 7300GT is perceptively faster. Even the dashboard splash effect runs at about 5 FPS - I get lag even dragging windows around! It beats a VESA framebuffer at 1024x768 on a 1680x1050 display though, that's for sure and all I care about.

LOL, what games run on OS X to take advantage of 8800GT?

What games on Vista take advantage of an 8800GT? And do it right? None so far, no one really uses the 8 series and HD2 and HD3 series for DX10, but for HD, or just for raw power. Guitar hero 3, you would never expect it but the damn game is demanding as all hell.

G92 performing well... Now c'mon, a 7300GT is perceptively faster. Even the dashboard splash effect runs at about 5 FPS - I get lag even dragging windows around! It beats a VESA framebuffer at 1024x768 on a 1680x1050 display though, that's for sure and all I care about.

Huh ? Don't know what you are smoking but my dashboard splash effect is 60fps. Yep, it's a LOT faster than on my MacBook Pro with X1600 (Expose on Leopard, Spaces, are slow on it). This is using the 8800 GT. I'm not sure how it compares with a 7300GT, but really I doubt 7300GT is faster than ATI X1600 !

You surely didn't see my post comparing WoW fps in OSX and Windows with G92 : sometimes WoW is faster in OSX than Windows, i'm not sure it's the case with the 7300GT :)

EDIT : oh and NO LAG dragging the Windows. Yep I noticed some people has it, though not on G92 but G84. OSX is definitly FASTER than on ANY Mac I have seen Leopard run.

EDIT2 : Make sure your card is running in PCIe 16x in system profiler and not 1x but if you get lags in GUI, then you definitly have a problem.

EDIT3 : Here is my link comparing WoW OSX vs Vista... Yeah sure you'll get 175fps with 7300GT !

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=79186

I told you. I don't care about 3D performance. It's the GUI performance that sucks. I'm not the only one, so you must be very lucky!

Edit: Perhaps it was a bit unfair that my paying attention to the performance was while handbrake was encoding - I don't get the lag (i.e. windows look like they're 'following' the cursor) normally if you move windows around fast :( However, my comment stands that the GUI just doesn't feel as smooth as it does on a Mac Pro (standard config) with 7300GT. Minimising to the dock is a bit jerky with lots of windows on screen, dashboard is jerky as it fades in/out, the water effect, as I said before, is jerky. None of this happens on the Mac Pro (which is running 1920x1200 vs 1680x1050 on this rig!), it feels closer to my Dad's X1600 20" iMac in terms of GUI responsiveness. Some operations are really fast, perhaps faster than the Pro, like resizing large Safari windows (which really chokes some systems...) and no way am I saying it's in the league of say, my 12" FX5200 powerbook, but I think there's still work to do, considering how much horsepower this card has! I'm sure this thing is a 3D monster under OS X, unlike 8800s with the old kexts - not that I have any games to play under OS X, but for GUI use, older cards do still seem faster...

I get around 480-500 in UI test on Xbench, don't know about you... But I don't think i'm lucky :( All G92 are the same ! I really think you can fix this. Or maybe because i'm in 1280x1024 and in your rez it would be slow ? Try in 1280x1024 and report back, maybe that's why I think it's fast !

Pah. XBench. I don't know why you even bother running it :(

It's the biggest waste of space of a benchmark I've ever used.

http://db.xbench.com/merge.xhtml?doc1=2625...;setCookie=true

but really I doubt 7300GT is faster than ATI X1600 !
It's much faster in OS X for 2D. I know it's weird (although do remember there isn't that much between 7300GT and a vanilla X1600), but it's definitely true. X1600s (at least Mobility X1600s) are laggy as hell in OS X. The NV40/G70 drivers in OS X are really well optimised for all cards. My 7800GTX felt like a real speed demon too, although I never tried it under 10.5.

Anyway, I'm not saying G92 sucks in OS X, far from it. I'm just saying it isn't perceptibly as fast as 7300GT (which performs really well for 2D under OS X) It certainly beats the 2900XT, which I couldn't use GL/QE/CI on, and the fact that I finally have a fully working Hackint0sh desktop is brilliant! :P

What games on Vista take advantage of an 8800GT? And do it right? None so far, no one really uses the 8 series and HD2 and HD3 series for DX10, but for HD, or just for raw power. Guitar hero 3, you would never expect it but the damn game is demanding as all hell.

Your joking right, have you even tried playing the latest games at over 1440x900, AA, AF on a 7series, I guess not because you need a 8 series to do so with good framerates.

Crysis owns a 8800GT, you need a next gen card to run it at full setting anything over 25fps.

Your joking right, have you even tried playing the latest games at over 1440x900, AA, AF on a 7series, I guess not because you need a 8 series to do so with good framerates.

Crysis owns a 8800GT, you need a next gen card to run it at full setting anything over 25fps.

The 7 series is still great, no doubt on that. But the 8 series so far is the best bang for your buck. I actually kind of messed up in the post though, didn't catch until now. I meant to say no one uses the 8 or HD series for DX10, but for just power.

What's the best Nvidia driver, Natit, Titan, NVInject or 8800? I have an 8800GT 512MB.

Titan, and Natit are no longer developed. NVinject is the only one still active. They are not drivers as such, more a map for your hardware in OSX. I have seen no difference in performance between Natit and NVinject. I'm using NVinject0.2.0.