[HowTo] Building my first OSx86 box...

bofors

549 posts in this topic

Yes, I always turn that {censored} off. Anyways, I have had no more kernerl panics to report (yet) and the machine is constantly on now.

Junio, again, it is not clear WHAT you are asking me here? So, I have to guess.

The machine I built is of comparable speed to my dual 2.0GHz PowerMac G5 (3GB RAM). However, that is for native, x86, applicationa and not PPC applications running on Rosetta (like PhotoShop). For some of my work, compiling software, my x86 box is much faster because the Gnu C compilier (GCC) is optimized for the x86 over PPC.

So, it depends on what your software needs are at the moment and also what we expect of the future. Fore example, Adobe may not release an x86 (Universal) Photoshop of OS X until next year. But these are relatively short term issues in my mind.

Bofors, excuse me my bad english, more is this even than you answered for me.

New sorry and thank's, i not go more it test your patience.

I wait than i've been clear now. :censored2:

hi guys.. first post from my new hackintosh. very similar to yours, bofors, except a D945GTP board instead of your GNT, and a lot less RAM :) Pentium D 920, 2x512Mb Corsair 667 in dual-channel mode, etc. and i have to say, this is damn sweeet! much better with accelerated graphics. i recommend anyone to build a hackintosh if they're considering it... beats the {censored} out of an imac ;)

That's great Munky, welcome to the club!

Regarding my excessive use of RAM, that is strictly for the special software I write and otherwise, I would have just used 2GB instead of 4GB.

now just need to get my ... onboard audio (Intel onboard 7-channel thingy)... to work...

Is that the Sigmtel 9223?

EDIT: i just picked up an X1800XL for £160 off ebay. Schweeeeet.

Nice, looking forward to your reports.

Bofors,

I just recently purchased the same hardware setup as you used, except for the following differences (which should not matter):

• 1GB Memory
  • SeaSonic S12 600W Power Supply
  • Lian-Li PC7 Plus Case
  • Seagate 160GB SATA Hard Drive
  • Pioneer 110 DVD-RW

I am having problems loading the unpatched kernel v10.4.3 DTK. Essentially, it starts to load the DVD gets past the gray Apple screen with the progress circle. It then goes to a blue screen and sits there with the beachball for some time. So I have a couple quick questions:

1. What BIOS settings did you change from the defaults (if any)?
  2. Did you use a patched DVD?
  3. If so, which one did you patch and what patches?

Thanks for your help. I am hoping get this system up and running.

What BIOS settings did you change from the defaults (if any)?

OK, I want to and will put up a complete list of my BIOS settings, soon. However, I believe the default settings should work fine, so do not worry about this for the moment. Instead first and foremost, please make sure that you have flashed the lastest BIOS from Intel. From your post, are we to assume that you are running on an Intel D945GNTLKR motherboard?

Did you use a patched DVD?

If so, which one did you patch and what patches?

I downloaded apparently the same, unpatched 10.4.3 torrent and patched it myself with JaS' "final" patch for 10.4.3. Not that this should matter either, but I converted the 10.4.3 DMG to an ISO, patched it and burned it on my PowerMac G5 as described here: http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=7389

I am guessing your problem has to do with patching.

Yes, I am using the exact same motherboard. I have not yet updated to the latest BIOS, but I will do so. Also, it appears that I do have the same DVD drive as you.

I did enable the TPM chip on the board via the BIOS. Also, I changed the SATA drive to AHCI mode.

Any reason why it would need to be patched if the TPM chip is present? Also, the CPU supports SSE3, SSE2 and No Execute bit, so it should not need that patch either. Only thing I can think is that Intel DTK had a license loaded into the TPM so it could load the Apple software. I will try a patched version and see if that will load on the system. I am just wondering why it needs to be patched.

Cheers...

Also, I changed the SATA drive to AHCI mode.

Put it back to IDE until later (when you add the 10.4.4 kexts), otherwise the 10.4.3 OSx86 install DVD will not "see" your hard drive.

Any reason why it would need to be patched if the TPM chip is present?

Your TPM chip has not been set with Apple's "Endorsement Key", therefore OSx86 will not run on your machine "as is".

Likewise, I need to retry the IP over FireWire with this relaxed memory timing.

OK, I just got another _rare_ kernel panic with IP over FireWire. This transfer was about half gigabyte of which I had sucessfully completed numerous times on this hardware today.

Bofors,

Thanks for the quick reply. I patached the 10.4.3 8f1111 with Jas patches on my Mac G5. I will try to install it tomorrow when I get into the office.

I figured as much about the Apple Certificate on the TPM. It would be nice if Apple would allow us to purchase a License as part of the OS package :euro:.

Cheers...

I used "JaS.1111a.Generic.Patch.Final.zip" which is 22.2 MB compressed, appears to have been created on 12.23.05 and uncompresses into a folder that contains a .ppf file of 49.3 MB, md5summer.exe and the following .rtf file:

JaS 1111a Generic Patch Final PPF

Well this Is the Completion Of 3-4 weeks of testing patches and trying to work out bugs in the patching and system in general.

This patch will give you Nforce 2/ 3 /4 ATA support and VIA ATA /SATA To boot the dvd and also after the install.

It includes the following patches by maxxuss:

- Kernel Patch v3 (SSE3,SSE2 Emulation v3, no NX/DX, CPUID & RTC Fixed)
- Anti-TPM Patch v1
- Bootloader Patch (skips SSE3 check)

-A directory on the root of the drive (Extra Kernels) containing the orginal kernel and SSE3 No NX/DX,And All the patches for the kernel so you can mix and match if you need to.

The kernel has all the patches applied so that it will be compatible with
the largest number of systems available from the get-go. You can replace
the kernel with the version with fewer patches after installation if you
wish. You can create your own kernel using maxxuss's patchfiles set in the Extra Kernels Directory

It also includes the following additional extensions:

- AC97 Audio: supports Intel,VIA,nForce & Ensoniq ES1371(VMWare sound)
- Parallel ATA: supports nForce & VIA 
- PS/2 Controller: needed for PS/2 keyboard/mouse/trackball and VMWare
- AMD PC-Net II: needed for VMWare networking support (by maxxuss)

-SATA support for Intel and VIA

MD5 sums

e893e3a5612d1ff5d4443041f18c6dec *JaS.1111a.Generic.Patch.Final.ppf

3665735d1b651b5a4ad15ca59ab40142 *macosx_10.4.3_8f1111_for_dtk_userdvd.dmg

f086fa1cdd01013c9787dfd1e92c2078 *macosx_10.4.3_8f1111_for_dtk_userdvdunpatched.iso

fe8343e94089c80413aae80941055298 *macosx_10.4.3_8f1111_for_dtk_userdvdpatched.iso

If the patched DVD still does not install on your system natively, try
within VMware ( http://win2osx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1689 ).

I noticed the first one when I woke up, the machine had paniced running the screen saver.

I got another one of these today. Part the problem may be the fact that I am running dual 1680 x 1050 displays. The other thing is that am I not sure if I have the BIOS settings for video correct (but think I do). I will post the video BIOS options later.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

What's the stand on the graphic cards...does it make sense to buy a x1600...would it come with full QE/CI support?

I am very much looking forward to this...

Cheers Fritz

PS: Dell has a 25% discount on the 20" screens if you buy two.. i paid 404 bucks per screen...for people who are interested...

The Intel D945GNTLKR you use is sold out everywhere. Could I buy the Intel 945PVSLKR in order to get mac os x to work with full graphic support etc., http://www.laptops4me.com/product_info.php...roducts_id/9224

It seems to be the same board type, can anyone point out the diffrences between the two boards. Thanks...

PS: bofors when is 10.4.4 running on your machine?

The Intel D945GNTLKR you use is sold out everywhere. Could I buy the Intel 945PVSLKR in order to get mac os x to work with full graphic support etc., http://www.laptops4me.com/product_info.php...roducts_id/9224

It seems to be the same board type, can anyone point out the diffrences between the two boards. Thanks...

PS: bofors when is 10.4.4 running on your machine?

http://gamepro.pricegrabber.com/search_get...asterid=9391652

From the sources shown in the link above, ZZF shows it in stock.

I do not have any SATA II hard drives to test with, but I am glad you ask this question because I did not realize I was so ignorant about SATA II. First of all, the Intel D945G/P motherboards supports SATA II (or rather 3.0 Gbps), so people who get these boards will be in good shape for the future. Next, I found this review article which claims that the Hiachi T7K250 (SATA II) are higher performance than Raptors: http://www.cluboverclocker.com/reviews/har...7K250/index.htm

That was big news to me as I thought Raptor's were by far the highest performance consumer grade drive on the market, and if this is for real, I would not have just bought three Raptors but rather T7K250's instead. I will be looking into that issue further, so I may be testing SATA II in the future.

In other news, I am happy to report that the kernel panics associated with the screen saver are gone (perhaps some physical breaking-in process with RAM?) The machine pretty much works perfectly with the exception of panics and crashs during DVD playback which I have doing with VLC because Apple's DVD Player does not work.

Two fine points:

1.) I have not tested the audio system expect for basic stereo output which comes out the wrong jack off of the motherboard. This "wrong jack" issue has been noted by other OSx86 users with this type of board.

2.) The Dell panels are great, but as reported by Anandtech they both suffer from a minor defect, "white" light comes in from certain parts of the panel edges and in particular corners when the screen is supposed to be completely black. I only notice this defect when the black Apple logo screen saver is on or when I watch movies. It does not bother me at all. One more thing about Dell panels, my brother got a FPW2405 (24", 1900 x 1200) and I like it alot. It may be a great choice for some people. I have not tested it on my box, but could if requested.

Otherwise, I am waiting to install 10.4.4 if for no other reason than 10.4.3 works great. I will probably wait to install 10.4.4 until ATI x1600 video cards are running perfectly on it.

I do not have any SATA II hard drives to test with, but I am glad you ask this question because I did not release I was so ignorant about SATA II. First of all, the Intel D945G/P motherboards supports SATA II (or rather 3.0 Gbps), so people who get these boards will be in good shape for the future. Next, I found this review article which claims that the Hiachi T7K250 (SATA II) are higher performance than Raptors: http://www.cluboverclocker.com/reviews/har...7K250/index.htm

I have a T7K250 with an D945GNTLKR. But at the moment only lying an my desk ;-) I hope that I have time to install 10.4.3 and than 10.4.4 today. After that I could post some bonnie results for the T7K250 and 10.4.x

I have a T7K250 with an D945GNTLKR. But at the moment only lying an my desk ;-) I hope that I have time to install 10.4.3 and than 10.4.4 today. After that I could post some bonnie results for the T7K250 and 10.4.x

ok. 10.4.3 is installed ;-) Here my specs:

MB: D945GNTLKR

CPU: CeleronD-351, 3,2GHz

RAM: 2# 512MB Infineon DDR2

HD: Hitachi T7K250 160GB

Here is my first Xbench after installation, nothing tuned and disk as IDE (no AHCI) drive:

Results 58.07

System Info

Xbench Version 1.2

System Version 10.4.3 (8F1111g)

Physical RAM 1024 MB

Model ADP2,1

Drive Type HDT722516DLA380

CPU Test 67.04

GCD Loop 94.28 4.97 Mops/sec

Floating Point Basic 62.47 1.48 Gflop/sec

vecLib FFT 55.01 1.81 Gflop/sec

Floating Point Library 67.23 11.71 Mops/sec

Thread Test 91.74

Computation 81.73 1.66 Mops/sec, 4 threads

Lock Contention 104.56 4.50 Mlocks/sec, 4 threads

Memory Test 74.29

System 55.76

Allocate 69.68 255.89 Kalloc/sec

Fill 44.93 2184.44 MB/sec

Copy 58.17 1201.41 MB/sec

Stream 111.26

Copy 105.33 2175.54 MB/sec

Scale 105.12 2171.84 MB/sec

Add 118.35 2521.03 MB/sec

Triad 117.70 2517.97 MB/sec

Quartz Graphics Test 45.92

Line 52.07 3.47 Klines/sec [50% alpha]

Rectangle 43.60 13.02 Krects/sec [50% alpha]

Circle 44.47 3.62 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]

Bezier 70.95 1.79 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]

Text 33.15 2.07 Kchars/sec

OpenGL Graphics Test 208.75

Spinning Squares 208.75 264.81 frames/sec

User Interface Test 25.11

Elements 25.11 115.22 refresh/sec

Disk Test 67.28

Sequential 101.05

Uncached Write 117.54 72.17 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 94.33 53.37 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 81.07 23.73 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 122.83 61.73 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Random 50.42

Uncached Write 19.32 2.04 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 95.09 30.44 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 99.80 0.71 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 142.47 26.44 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Next, I found this review article which claims that the Hiachi T7K250 (SATA II) are higher performance than Raptors: http://www.cluboverclocker.com/reviews/har...7K250/index.htm

This AnandTech article confirms that the Hitachi T7K250 outperforms the Raptor in some benchmarks: http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2454&p=1

That article also state that a DOS utility from Hitachi is required to unlock the advanced features like 3Gbps.

I am still a little confused about how is possible for a 7.2k RPM drive to outperform a 10K RPM. However, it is clamied that the 1.5Gbps limit of SATA I is actually reached in 7.2K drive but only in peaks, not sustained transfers. So, the SATA II limit of 3.0Gbps apparenty relieves that transient bottleneck.

Until Raptors are outfitted with an SATA II interface, the Hitachi T7K250 (or perhaps other SATA II drive) is the certainly the way to go for performance and value. However, I still expect that Raptors will outperform the SATA II drives significantly in some scenarios, perhaps in sustained transfers.

One more thing, for perhaps the ultimate in drive performance, I have received a report from an OSx86 user that large capacity flash drives are available (16 - 48 GB) and very fast. However, as those devices are certainly much more expensive than a hard drive, I would want to see some detailed testing results before investing (as it is, I feel a little foolish for spending so much money on three small Raptor drives when I could five times more space with Hitachi T7K250's at the same cost)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ok. 10.4.3 is installed ;-)

Here is my first Xbench after installation, nothing tuned and disk as IDE (no AHCI) drive:

Disk Test 67.28

Sequential 101.05

Uncached Write 117.54 72.17 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 94.33 53.37 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 81.07 23.73 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 122.83 61.73 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Random 50.42

Uncached Write 19.32 2.04 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 95.09 30.44 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 99.80 0.71 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 142.47 26.44 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Thanks for the report. I do not understand why your 4K block Random Uncached Write score is so low. My Raptor came out the same and I had attributed it to 10K RPM versus 7.2K RPM. Clearly, that it not the issue and now I wondering what this about. I mean your score of 19.32 is supposed to be normalized againt what that "standard" Xbench system did in that specific sub-test right?

I do not expect AHCI to be much of an improvement (perhaps 5%) but it might be necessary for SATA II. If you really are interested, you may need a floppy drive to run Hitachi's Feature Tool (v2.00) to set your T7K250 up for 3Gbps: http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

Be careful about the Intel 945PVSLKR because it doesn't have any integrated graphics. For the better video compatibility you should choose a board with GMA 900 or 950. Later you can think about dedicated video cards. At the moment ATI is clearly better supported.

About the difference between 945GNTLKR and 945GNTL, they are both ATX boards with GMA 950, the 945GNTLKR has FireWire, Gigabit Ethernet and RAID ( useless on our "hackintoshes" ), the 945GNTL has only 10/100 Ethernet. Both boards have the SigmaTel STAC9220 audio chip so you shouldn't have any problems with sound. I would go for the 945GNTLKR.