[HowTo] Building my first OSx86 box...

bofors

549 posts in this topic

Ok, thanks again for your advice.

I just ran Xbench again with the lastest BIOS tweaks and my score is now 80.5.

Once I get the RAID working it probably will go to 90+ and a graphics card should put it well over 110.

yah, i have faith in you hitting 110+ no problem.

but my goal is 150+ when OpenGL for MacVidia hits the scene. :D

pict00031ir.jpg

I just tested one of my Dell 20" panels at 1680 x 1050, it works fine and OSx86 even it's color profile built-in. The only thing missing is their appears to be NO support for rotation in the GMA driver. This should be fixed when an ATI driver is working.

Just to round out the hardware comparison here, I shot some pictures of Antec Sonata II case next to the my PowerMac G5 (and the "cheese-grater" easily wins :D ) .

pict00092uj.jpg

pict00082kr.jpg

pict00105ud.jpg

pict00113qt.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Since my OSx86 machine has not been doing anything under any kind of prolonged load, I decided to try playing a DVD on it. Although Apple's DVD Player.app loaded fine, it would not play the DVD itself for some reason. :angry:

But I downloaded VLC and it is playing it fine now.

Next, I am going to break out the MX510 mouse and try setting it up SteerMouse. Otherwise, I really do not want to use to use this machine for work with just one display, so I am going to try to get some more information on the ADD2-N cards from people here who have used them and probably order on.

Then I will finally install Xcode, compile my software for x86 and see how it runs on this box. If I get my second Dell panel running and have no problem with Xcode and my software, I am going to start using this machine full time.

On to the mouse...

Edited by bofors

I ran my USB mouse through a USB->PS/2 converter because that's the only way it would work on 10.4.1, when 10.4.3 came out I never thought to change it. The lack of support for my extra buttons annoyed me though. When I heard of steermouse being a unibin I decided to see if my mouse would run as USB. Low and behold it does and I not have all my buttons back ;-)

I use an old MS Intellimouse explorer, the original optical red with the taillight.

Cheers,

V

logo_universal.jpg

While looking for SteerMouse, I noticed VersionTracker's brand new Universal Applications Resource Center "MacIntel Compatible Software".

This should be great for finding and reviewing native OSx86 applications.

I just tested printed to my HP LaserJet 1320 (connected via USB to my PowerMac) over may Ethernet LAN via Bonjour (aka Rendezvous, ZeroConfig) and it work fine. Later, I will try hosting that printer to my other machines instead.

Edited by bofors

Hey

Speaking of the mx 510, i have one, and yes it kicks ass. I have all the buttons working without any 3rd party drivers. Here is what they all do

Left click and right click do what they are supposed to do :)

mouse wheel works normally. mouse wheel click does nothing (but i would never use it anyway)

cruise control buttons work. sorta like up and down arrows

the button on the top with 2 boxes calls my dashboard.

the side buttons do Expose: Windows and Expose: Desktop.

You can set these buttons in the expose prefpane.

logo_universal.jpg

Not that I see anything wrong with SteerMouse, but USB Overdrive has just released their "10.4.4" and it is now Univeral. So, I will be looking at that later too!

http://www.usboverdrive.com/USBOverdrive/News.html

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/13443

EDIT: Hardware Monitor 3.2 detects no sensors in my box.

On a related Univerisal note, I am going to get Hardware Monitor 3.2 (Universal) to keep up on the CPU processor temperature:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/24043

Later I might write some simple code to continuously run both "cores" under full load to help the Artic Silver break-in.

icon14.gificon14.gificon14.gif

I am looking for a way to monitor CPU temperature from OSx86. Perhaps Darwin offers some command line program?

Edited by bofors

I have looking at some Xbench scores for comparison and found this little tip:

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=7288

My Xbench went from 80.5 -> 104.63 by disabling Beam Synch.

:) I got almost another point by enabling QE 2D:

Results	105.59	
System Info		
	Xbench Version		1.2
	System Version		10.4.3 (8F1111g)
	Physical RAM		4096 MB
	Model		ADP2,1
	Drive Type		WDC WD360GD-00FLC0
CPU Test	61.68	
	GCD Loop	85.40	4.50 Mops/sec
	Floating Point Basic	72.63	1.73 Gflop/sec
	vecLib FFT	44.48	1.47 Gflop/sec
	Floating Point Library	59.20	10.31 Mops/sec
Thread Test	153.82	
	Computation	143.90	2.92 Mops/sec, 4 threads
	Lock Contention	165.21	7.11 Mlocks/sec, 4 threads
Memory Test	122.77	
	System	106.15	
		Allocate	76.92	282.47 Kalloc/sec
		Fill	127.25	6187.02 MB/sec
		Copy	135.08	2790.01 MB/sec
	Stream	145.57	
		Copy	141.48	2922.16 MB/sec
		Scale	139.91	2890.44 MB/sec
		Add	151.51	3227.53 MB/sec
		Triad	150.12	3211.36 MB/sec
Quartz Graphics Test	95.70	
	Line	101.88	6.78 Klines/sec [50% alpha]
	Rectangle	94.04	28.08 Krects/sec [50% alpha]
	Circle	94.27	7.68 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]
	Bezier	99.35	2.51 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]
	Text	89.89	5.62 Kchars/sec
OpenGL Graphics Test	181.17	
	Spinning Squares	181.17	229.83 frames/sec
User Interface Test	181.12	
	Elements	181.12	831.23 refresh/sec
Disk Test	71.72	
	Sequential	108.04	
		Uncached Write	90.88	55.80 MB/sec [4K blocks]
		Uncached Write	113.47	64.20 MB/sec [256K blocks]
		Uncached Read	110.66	32.39 MB/sec [4K blocks]
		Uncached Read	122.39	61.51 MB/sec [256K blocks]
	Random	53.68	
		Uncached Write	19.14	2.03 MB/sec [4K blocks]
		Uncached Write	123.13	39.42 MB/sec [256K blocks]
		Uncached Read	122.12	0.87 MB/sec [4K blocks]
		Uncached Read	167.71	31.12 MB/sec [256K blocks]

I am now running the memory testing program Rember. This is a good idea anyways to make sure my RAM is good (I got some bad RAM for my PowerMac last year and did not know it for three months, that wasted a lot of my time). But I also just want to run the machine under load for extended periods of time to test the processor and help the Artic Silver set. Rember has a continous mode and loads the CPU at about 50% (both cores).

However, neither Rember nor OS X's Activity monitor see all 4GB of RAM and I am kind of puzzled by this. Activity Monitor reports my system to have 3.24 GB. I know part of the reason (and perhaps the entire reason), is that the Intel GMA takes a chuck of RAM over for itself (and I set it to take the maximum amount in BIOS). But that is supposed to be only 256 MB of RAM and if drop down to 2 GB of RAM that is what appears to missing, not some 800 MB.

Any ideasicon14.gif

Edited by bofors

I just found this thread, so now I know that dual displays should be supported with the ADD2-N card:

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=569&hl=

So, I am going to order one now.

I've been reading this post with great interest, since my setup (built last weekend) is very similar to yours: Mobo Intel D945GNT (GMA 950 but no FW, only 10/100 ethernet, but has ICH7), CPU Pentium D 830 (3GHz dual core, 2x1Mb cache), 2GB 677 MHz DDR2 Ram.

Currently I'm running 10.4.1 with 10.4.3 updates, and I've got almost everything working. Running both SATA and IDE hds.

I also have a Silicon Image Orion ADD2-N card, and with this I've got a problem - whenever I try to boot with the card in the machine, I get the second display on the VGA screen (only desktop backround), and no output on the DVI connector of the ADD2 card. I've tried to fiddle with the bios and drivers, but so far no luck. Does anyone know what are the maximum resolutions of the GMA950 in a dual screen setup (I'm running 1600x1200)?

The other problem is sound. After changing device ID's on azaliaaudio, I got the sound output appearing in the control panel and volume control on the menu bar. However, no sound at all coming from any of the jacks. Device ID of the sigmatel HDaudio chip on my board is 7680 (vendor id 8384). Anyone know if I can get this chip working?

I'll upgrade to a clean install 10.4.3 as soon as I get the ISO... meanwhile, I'm waiting for your expriences with the ADD2 -card :)

I've been reading this post with great interest, since my setup (built last weekend) is very similar to yours: Mobo Intel D945GNT (GMA 950 but no FW, only 10/100 ethernet, but has ICH7), CPU Pentium D 830 (3GHz dual core, 2x1Mb cache), 2GB 677 MHz DDR2 Ram.

Yes, that is very simiiliar box. I would be interest to see your Xbench results after you install 10.4.3.

I also have a Silicon Image Orion ADD2-N card, and with this I've got a problem - whenever I try to boot with the card in the machine, I get the second display on the VGA screen (only desktop backround), and no output on the DVI connector of the ADD2 card. I've tried to fiddle with the bios and drivers, but so far no luck.

You may also also want to tweak the BIOS setttings for the GMA950 (and if you are not running the lastest BIOS, "3309", released 1.9.06, make sure you install it). I would try booting with only the DVI output connected to a display and vice versa, and with the other monitor off hot plug it to the VGA (and vice versa the DVI) connector and them turn it on. However, I suspect that 10.4.1 may be the culprit here as 10.4.3 cured a lot problems with the 945 boards.

Does anyone know what are the maximum resolutions of the GMA950 in a dual screen setup (I'm running 1600x1200)?

Well I don't know, but I suspect you should at least be able to run 2 x 1600 x 1200. My goal is 2 x 1680 x 1050. My card shipped out yesterday, but I has it shipped by ground service, so I am not expecting it to show up for a few days, perhaps next Monday.

EDIT: UPS tracking says I will get my ADD2-N card on Tuesday, 1.31.06.

The other problem is sound. After changing device ID's on azaliaaudio, I got the sound output appearing in the control panel and volume control on the menu bar. However, no sound at all coming from any of the jacks. Device ID of the sigmatel HDaudio chip on my board is 7680 (vendor id 8384). Anyone know if I can get this chip working?

I think this a is known 10.4.1 problem.

Edited by bofors

Yes, that is very simiiliar box. I would be interest to see your Xbench results after you install 10.4.3.

Will post. At the moment Xbench is around 78-80, all in all the machine feels very fast and responsive.

You may also also want to tweak the BIOS setttings for the GMA950 (and if you are not running the lastest BIOS, "3309", released 1.9.06, make sure you install it). I would try booting with only the DVI output connected to a display and vice versa, and with the other monitor off hot plug it to the VGA (and vice versa the DVI) connector and them turn it on. However, I suspect that 10.4.1 may be the culprit here as 10.4.3 cured a lot problems with the 945 boards.

Tried all of that, no help whatsoever. I have the latest BIOS, but the options are (typical Intel) extremely limited, tried them all. I hope this is also just one of the problems that 10.4.3 will fix. I'd love to hear whether you get DVI output without problems.

I think this a is known 10.4.1 problem.

All the more reason for me to do a proper clean install. Seed people seed :poster_oops:

thanks for the continual updates bofors.

I asked earlier in this thread about OC options and you said you werent much interested in this sort of thing.

well, it would defenately provide you with a performance increase. these chips be it my understanding can break 4ghz without issue.

I dont think anyone here is made of money. atleast I know Im not. :P so even from a practical stand point. a 920 2.8ghz @ 3.4ghz is 400$ cheaper than the 950 3.4ghz stock. and the 920 will benifit from increased FSB.. so between the 2 systems 1 with OC'd 920 and one with stock 950.. the 920 will win. infact, send me the 400 dollars and Ill send you back some custom watercooling :graduated: hehe

the problem will be finding a chipset that osx likes and onboard gfx while still getting a board that doesnt suck for OCing.

oh and thanks for the reply about Photoshop. if you get a chance to test it out let us know (im sure a good portion of people here are gfx ppl.. or know someone that is..)

thanks again bofors! gluck with everything!

-jamie

Not that I see anything with SteerMouse, but USB Overdrive has just released their "10.4.4" and it is now Univeral. So, I will be looking at that later too!

http://www.usboverdrive.com/USBOverdrive/News.html

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/13443

It's a shame that USBOverdrive do not have BlueTooth support Yet, I'm using Steermouse and both of my BT mice works great.
EDIT: Hardware Monitor 3.2 detects no sensors in my box.
Hardware Monitor works on my box but it only detects the temps of my two PATA Disks :angry: , but works great on my PowerBook.

oh and thanks for the reply about Photoshop. if you get a chance to test it out let us know (im sure a good portion of people here are gfx ppl.. or know someone that is..)

Regarding Photshop, MacWorld has recently done some limited Rosetta tests on it here:

http://www.macworld.com/2006/01/features/i...est1/index1.php

mw2pl.jpg

So, while Photoshop is usuable on OSx86 now via Rosetta, it runs at less than half speed when compare to an iMac G5 (I want to call this the "Altivec Affect"). This might mean serious Photoshop users will want to wait until Photoshop goes universal.

It's a shame that USBOverdrive do not have BlueTooth support Yet, I'm using Steermouse and both of my BT mice works great.

Hardware Monitor works on my box but it only detects the temps of my two PATA Disks :angry: , but works great on my PowerBook.

I am getting the idea that we should just go ahead and write our own open sourse hardware monitor application for our more general needs. There does not appear to be much to it all. Most of the raw sensor data can had be by porting (if necessary) a few little FreeBSD programs which could quickly be wrapped in a nice Cocoa GUI.

Edited by bofors

im using SteerMouse aswell, and the program author is very helpful in assessing bug issues even if you're not on the paying customer list (as i am using only the evaluation period for now)

he seems willing to put forward his helping hand, and he'll try and assess any problems in the operation fo the mice that you wish to use, or program incompatability.

i.e. - i can right-click and copy/paste in every program but mac messenger (dont wanna use other messaging clients)

also... i found the photoshop test in the other forum was at around 49 seconds. which isnt too bad, considering the amount of ram, the IDE interface, and the Rosetta use.

but even then, the program runs perfectly fine. no problems. and relatively speedy.

much faster than the G5's i used at school.

I can't wait until Adobe goes uni-bin

I am looking for the best way to switch boot partitions/drives.

I know that Intel's BIOS has some provisions, but I think those only select drive and not partitions. I mean, I know that I can rearrange the drive boot order (but this is annoying because Intel's label for both of my raptors is exactly the same, so I can not tell exactly which is what, or even if I am successfully changing their order. Furthermore, they did not appear to work in my first try to switch boot drive over the weekend.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have been running some Rember sessions for hours at a time (about 50% load on both "cores"). BIOS then reports the CPU to be at about 62o Celsius and I believe the processor idles in the 50's. I assume these numbers are about right.

Edited by bofors

I am looking for the best way to switch boot partitions/drives.

I know that Intel's BIOS has some provisions, but I think those only select drive and not partitions. I mean, I know that I can rearrange the drive boot order (but this is annoying because Intel's label for both of my raptors is exactly the same, so I can not tell exactly which is what, or even if I am successfully changing their order. Furthermore, they did not appear to work in my first try to switch boot drive over the weekend.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have been running some Rember sessions for hours at a time (about 50% load on both "cores"). BIOS then reports the CPU to be at about 62o Celsius and I believe the processor idles in the 50's. I assume these numbers are about right.

why not just run a dual boot menu?

I have just set up the MX510 mouse on my PowerMac, my main computer until I get dual displays running on the OSx86 box. So far I like SteerMouse over USB Overdrive.

But I am kind of baffled by the "tilt-click" wheel features. I am not sure if this mouse actually has them or not because I can not seem to make them work.

Otherwise, my only criticism of SteerMouse is that does appear to offer button "chord" options (where two or more buttons pressed effectively create another button), for example I had clicking both right and left at the same time triggered to activate Expose' "Desktop" feature.

thanks bofors!

now i wonder, how does your system compare to that core duo performance wise? :)

id like to swing a pentium D presler 4ghz+ at those benches :)

also thanks for the info on the Mobos. Im gonna check them with my intel friends and get back to you ;)

laters!

moody in NYC,

Jamie

I have now set OS X to disable Beam Synchronization on boot:

Force Quit the Quartz Debug application (you need to force quit to make the changes "stick;" regular quitting will re-enable Beam Sync upon quitting)

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?sto...050518113854620

This also works:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver Compositor -dict deferredUpdates 0

http://www.macosxhints.com/comment.php?mod...rder=&pid=58254

NOTE: After rebooting, relaunching Quartz Debug will re-enable Beam Sych. So to verify that Beam Sync. is actually disabled, open com.apple.windowserver.plist with /Developer/Application/Utitlies/Property List Editor.app and look for Root->Compositor->deferredUpdates to be set to 0.

Two more things, (1) this Beam Sync. speed trick may only work on LCD displays (CRT's have beams, LCD's don't) and (2) these sorts of tricks also work to enable Quartz Extreme 2D on boot:

quartz-10.4.png

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/os/macosx-10.4.ars/14

Edited by bofors