[HowTo] Building my first OSx86 box...

bofors

549 posts in this topic

I agree with the principle of using the minimal patching necessary, but I am still trying to understand this AMD-enabler kernel patch dependancy: An AMD-Enabler script (not the AMD-enabler kernel patch) was run over the entire patched 10.4.5 DVD? Yuck! icon8.gif

Hmm... I guess it is worth giving the JrrJrr reverse AMD-Enabler technique a shot, but I am also thinking it might have been better to just follow Maxxuss' instructions step by step instead of using the prepatched 10.4.5 disk here.

Well, the patch is not applied to the whole DVD, just to some files that need patching. (Can't check at work, but I think its maybe around 90 files). These files seem to rely on the AMD enabler patch also being present in the kernel. A prominent example is "loginwindow".

I'm still undecided whether I should bother unpatching. According to maxxuss the SSE3 emulator doesn't get used when SSE3 is supported by the CPU so there's no performance penalty. I'm not sure about the effect of the AMD enabler patch, but presumably it simply pretents to be genuine intel. No performance penalty there, either, as myzar mentions. I've got a nice, fast, stable system at the moment and already installed Apps etc. I don't necessarily want to risk making it unstable if there's no benefit from it. Still, my philosophy is to only have the minimal number of patches ... so I might risk it anyway.

I kept my 10.4.3 installation intact and still am primarily using it, so I can experiment with 10.4.5 sans risk (I was worried about prematurely moving to 10.4.5).

I just ran the AMD unpatcher: 248 "patches" applied to 81 files.

I tried using only the base patch and again I got the "EIP 0x0019309f" panic, so I guess my next step will be to see if CPUID patch fixes this. But I do not understand why this should be necessary as Shaughn reported above that it was not needed with the AMD patch.

Thankyou Bofor for ur encouragement I just updated to the latest version of BIOS 3630 through windows.

Also installed the 10.4.5 and works great except for the LAN and Sound ..could you help he with these please . I need the kext for these and also few instructions with the terminal input (giving rights i mean ). I dunno why my onboard LAN doesnt work..do i just need to put the vendor id and device id ?

please if possible mail it to hiteshsharoff@gmail.com

post-19873-1142423984_thumb.png

Also installed the 10.4.5 and works great except for the LAN and Sound ..could you help he with these please . I need the kext for these and also few instructions with the terminal input (giving rights i mean ). I dunno why my onboard LAN doesnt work..do i just need to put the vendor id and device id ?

For the sound, all I did was replace the AppleHDA.kext with the one from 10.4.3

For the LAN, I had to add device id: 0x27dc8086 to the list of device ids in

/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntel8255x.kext/Contents/Info.plist

repair permissions, delete the Extensions.kextcache and Extensions.mkext files in: /System/Library/Extensions

reboot

EDIT: I forgot to mention, my board is also a D945GNTL

For the sound, all I did was replace the AppleHDA.kext with the one from 10.4.3

For the LAN, I had to add device id: 0x27dc8086 to the list of device ids in

/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntel8255x.kext/Contents/Info.plist

repair permissions, delete the Extensions.kextcache and Extensions.mkext files in: /System/Library/Extensions

reboot

EDIT: I forgot to mention, my board is also a D945GNTL

added the device id to the list ..could you please write the command for repair permissions,delete extrension.kextcache and extensions.mkext files in ......

also can you mail me the AppleHDA.kext from 10.4.3 at hiteshsharoff@gmail.com ....and do i have to set the repair permissions for this too ?

added the device id to the list ..could you please write the command for repair permissions,delete extrension.kextcache and extensions.mkext files in ......

also can you mail me the AppleHDA.kext from 10.4.3 at hiteshsharoff@gmail.com ....and do i have to set the repair permissions for this too ?

For the LAN and device ID you should not need to repair permissions.

To delete the cache files, start terminal, then

sudo -s

cd /System/Library

rm Extensions.kextcache

rm Extensions.mkext

reboot

My system is at home, so I don't have access to it at the moment. If you get the HDA from somewhere else, to repair permissions, start terminal, then

sudo -s

cd /System/Library/Extensions

chmod -R 755 AppleHDA.kext

chown -R root:wheel AppleHDA.kext

cd ..

rm Extensions.kextcache

rm Extensions.mkext

reboot

Hope that helps

EDIT: Corrected directory location

thank aton bearcat just a quicky im trying to add the device id to the list by opening it in textedit ..but it says "its a read only file " ..i can seem to add the id some how ..procedure if possible .. appreciate your help.....

thank aton bearcat just a quicky im trying to add the device id to the list by opening it in textedit ..but it says "its a read only file " ..i can seem to add the id some how ..procedure if possible .. appreciate your help.....

The method I use is, to open a terminal, then

sudo -s

vi /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntel8255x.kext/Contents/Info.plist

add my device id, then save with :wq

but you need to be familiar with the editor vi, or substitute nano for vi

Alternate Method

Copy the above Info.plist to your desktop in Finder, then edit it on your desktop, then drag the edited file back to its original location. OSX should ask you to authenticate to drag the file back.

Also installed the 10.4.5 and works great except for the LAN and Sound

You may know this already, but anyways:

Make sure you plug your speakers in to the "line out" connector, which is the top connector from the base of the motherboard, the middle connector where you normally plug speakers in to, does not work.

I just ran the AMD unpatcher: 248 "patches" applied to 81 files.

I tried using only the base patch and again I got the "EIP 0x0019309f" panic, so I guess my next step will be to see if CPUID patch fixes this. But I do not understand why this should be necessary as Shaughn reported above that it was not needed with the AMD patch.

In undoing the AMD unpatcher, I am pretty sure I made the same mistake as describe here:

ah, i found the problem: i'm incompetent >_< i used the txt from the 10.4.4 patch instead of the 10.4.5 one

That is, I have been working only with Maxxuss' 10.4.4 Patch Solution not that for 10.4.5.

So, I plan to undo what I did and then un-patch using the 10.4.5 text file.

hey bearcat ....my audio started working absolutely fine ....thankz to u

i replaced the kext and did the permissions but the first 2 commands work and the other 2 doesnt work.

Here is a screen shot of the errors.

hitesh-sharoffs-computer:~ hiteshsharoff$ rm Extensions.mkext

rm: Extensions.mkext: No such file or directory

hitesh-sharoffs-computer:~ hiteshsharoff$

I think this is the reason why my lan isnt working yet is shows the same error then too .

post-19873-1142492719_thumb.png

hey bearcat thankz for all your help

this is a very helpful forum..

Everything is working now ..i just plugged the internet cable and the lan port started working ... :whistle: ....everything works now .... nice thread bofor ,,,,, just if you could tell me why am i getting those errors ?? "NO SUCH FILE OR DIRECTORY"

hey bearcat thankz for all your help

this is a very helpful forum..

Everything is working now ..i just plugged the internet cable and the lan port started working ... :D ....everything works now .... nice thread bofor ,,,,, just if you could tell me why am i getting those errors ?? "NO SUCH FILE OR DIRECTORY"

Glad everything is working.

Don't know why the files aren't there, unless they got deleted in a previous attempt. They should have been rebuilt when you rebooted. You can check by browsing in Finder to your disk, then System, then Library, then Extensions. Those files should be there.

If all is working then they got rebuilt correctly and I wouldn't worry about it.

Also, KUDOS to Bofors, for his build of a wonderful system, and providing the inspiration to build my own.

Its perfectly fine Bearcat ....no worries.... only if you could edit the post where you gave me the commands so that others dont get confused :-0..

Thankz bofor you were right got it sorted with the right folder system/library..

Also could youll recommend me with a good 17" or 19" lcd monitor ? Also is there any specific feature we should look for ?

Most of the 19" panels have the same resolution as 17", so if your vision is good they are a waste of money in my mind.

The Samsung 740N is great deal at a little over $200 but it is a VGA analog panel, so it would not work with the ADD2 cards (DVI-D only). But for a few dollars more, the 740B is availble which is a true digitial display and what I would recommend (but you might need to get a VGA->DVI convertor): http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_attrib...._b_s&skd=1&rd=1

Both of these Samsung 740 panels have 8ms response time which is very good, I would avoid anything that is slower than 20ms.

Its perfectly fine Bearcat ....no worries.... only if you could edit the post where you gave me the commands so that others dont get confused :-0..

Thankz bofor you were right got it sorted with the right folder system/library..

Also could youll recommend me with a good 17" or 19" lcd monitor ? Also is there any specific feature we should look for ?

Edit done.

For a Monitor, I was using a Viewsonic VX724 monitor, it's bright, clear, and has good contrast ratios, but it is a 4:3 format monitor, and 1280x1024 is max resolution. My personal taste is a lower dot pitch monitor. This eliminates the 19" monitors for me, as they are the same resolution as the 17" monitors but have bigger pels, which I find annoying for a lot of text and coding work, but that's me, and only my preference, so take it with a grain of salt.

I think for OSX I prefer a wide screen monitor, the ones listed in Bofors signature (Dell 2005FPW) are good monitors and have the same panel in them that the Apple 20" monitor uses. Check out his previous posts, I think there is a link which has an article comparing them to the Apple monitors.

I bought a Viewsonic VX2025wm 20.1" (1680x1050, 800:1, 300cd/m2), I like it. Why? because it was cheaper. Something a little smaller is the newer Acer AL1916W (1440x900, Analog only), looks to be good, but has a larger .294 dot pitch, so the pels look bigger.

So I would recommend a monitor that has good brightness, good contrast ratios, a dot pitch you can look at for a couple of hours, and a form factor that you find convenient. Also if you want to add an ADD2-N card, like bofors did for dual monitors, make sure your monitor also has DVI-D inputs.

This is just me, so I would get feedback from others as well, maybe there is a forum discussing this, not sure.

I bought a Viewsonic VX2025wm 20.1" (1680x1050, 800:1, 300cd/m2), I like it. Why? because it was cheaper.

At a little over $400, I am not sure the Viewsonic VX2025 is cheap enough to bet the Dell 2005FPW on value as they are about the same price in my mind. I really like the Dell's adjustable height and extra features.

Something a little smaller is the newer Acer AL1916W (1440x900, Analog only), looks to be good, but has a larger .294 dot pitch, so the pels look bigger.

But this Acer AL1916W looks like a great deal for about $250. Here is comparison of it with the Dell 2005FPW: http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware...ral1916w/5.html