Shutdown/Poweroff Fix

ovof

81 posts in this topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The shutdown "fix" works on my P5E system, which before the fix would go in and out of sleep properly but would only shut down 10% of the time. Installed CHUD and then the shutdown fix, and now the reverse is true - the P5E shuts down properly but won't sleep. It goes into sleep but won't wake up(no video). Ran the uninstall script for the shutdown fix and the CHUD deinstaller, but unable to get back to where I was before applying the fix. Gave up and reinstalled the fix. And so now the shutdown fix is installed and working, but no sleep.

However, sleep/shutdown/restart has always worked perfectly on my Intel 975XBX2, along with everything else. Same software installed in both systems.

I would love to get the sleep function working, but frankly I have never gotten it to work on any Asus board I have tried, including the P5WDH.

Others have reported this too: the AppleHDA.kext, in this case Taruga's ADI 1988b one, seems to cause a kernel panic on shutdown, especially if the sleep function has been cycled once or twice before hand. This took place in the pre-shutdown fix testing. The KP kept the power up during shutdown - holding the power button in for 6-8 seconds was the only option for a full shutdown, or killing the AC. However, the shutdown fix does make for a dependable shutdown, even though it seems to eliminate the sleep function from working at all.

The other thing I noticed is when the sleep function did work reliably, it would only do so when no external drives were connected(firewire or USB). If an external drive was connected, it would intermittently come up out of sleep with a warning about the drive not being unmounted properly. The way Leopard mounts and unmounts drives may be at the root of this problem, at least with the P5E. Not an issue with the 975XBX2 mobo.

Just wish we could figure out how to get sleep to work along with this - have tried different installs(iATKOS for example), different ACPIPlatform kexts, etc. But no dice. Anyone have success getting both sleep and shutdown to work on P35/X35/X38 Intel motherboards?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I am on a GA-EP35 DS3P with a E8300 CPU (Core2Duo, 2.83 Ghz)

OS is Leopard 10.5.4 with vanilla kernel 9.4.0.

I did install the shutdown fix, but I found that the StartupItem's

stop routine does not get executed on system shutdown. I assume

that this is either by intention or a Bug in 10.5.4?

Any ways to come around that and have the poweroff_fix beeing automatically

executed on shutdown?

(Sorry for somewhat double posting, I have another thread in which I ask it there

are problems known with startupitems on shutdown, but in the meantime i am quite sure

that it is true that startupitems's stop section never gets called)

Regards,

Stephan

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting thread, i have two questions:

How to uninstall this fix in case it doesn't works as expected or creates new problems?

Does this fix slowing down the computer by enabling one core only (out of four cores) at bootup?

Try this kext for the shutdown. It solved 100% my problems on the retail version

http://www.psystar.com/opensource/openHalt..._1.0.3.kext.zip

This works great for me using JaS OSx86 10.5.4 Client Server Intel SSE2 SSE3 on a Gateway M-6846 laptop. Now all that's left is to get a new compatible mini pci-e wireless card and I'm all set.

Thanks for the post!

-=Don=-

I happen to have the problem where after you tell the computer to shut down, it gives you a black screen and nothing happens. Someone said that it was for a multi-core CPU problem... but I have P4HT. Does anyone know how to fix my problem or have any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...
This works great for me using JaS OSx86 10.5.4 Client Server Intel SSE2 SSE3 on a Gateway M-6846 laptop. Now all that's left is to get a new compatible mini pci-e wireless card and I'm all set.

Thanks for the post!

-=Don=-

this OpenHaltRestart kext works great in Gigabyte EP31-DS3L with Kalyway 10.5.3

This kext do nothing for me.

Restart works as before. Shutdown doesn't complete.

Dell Inspiron 1525. iDeneb 10.5.4+vanilla.

MAC Framework successfully initialized

using 10485 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers

IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 64:87

ACPI: System State [s0 S3 S4 S5] (S3)

OpenHaltRestart: 2008 \M-B\M-) COPYRIGHT PSYSTAR CORPORATION (www.psystar.com)

Extension "com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components; use only one style.

I just downloaded the fix and installed it. I was able to sleep the computer and shutdown/reboot with no problems. Running JAS 10.5.4 here on a GA-EP35-DS3L Mobo.

Thanks guys!!

I'm definitely adding this one to my restore image

• 5 months later...