A Few Mods for Leopard's UI

Numberzz

23 posts in this topic

Lately, many mods have been released for Leopard's UI. Here, I will show you a few of them: :D

1. Opaque Menu Bar

menubtint111507.jpg

This one is quite simple, it only involves editing a variable in one of the preference files. A very simple edit can lead to a much better menu bar.

Full Guide

2. Custom Stack Drawer Icons

dt_dock111607.jpg

If the custom drawer icons just aren't enough for you, TUAW shows us all how to make new drawer icons with an image editing program as simple as Preview.

Full Guide

3. Recent Items In Dock

recentitemsstack111607.jpg

We all know that the smart folder in the Finder's Sidebar cannot be dragged to the Dock. But someone has found a very simple way to add a recent items Stack in the Dock. You can choose from Recent Applications, Recent Documents, Recent Servers, Favorite Volumes, and Favorite Items. This is a very welcome addition.

Full Guide

Source of All Hacks: TUAW

The menubar link is leading to a 404 on the blog. And it's the only mod i want (next to a transparent finder with glossy aqua buttons).

Here is the original link to miner49r's blog, Turn off Translucent Menu Bar in Leopard. And from TUAW, Opaque Leopard Menubar Solved. The general instructions are to make a backup of /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.WindowServer.plist. And then enter this code in Terminal:

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.WindowServer 'EnvironmentVariables' -dict 'CI_NO_BACKGROUND_IMAGE' 0.62

Where "0.62" is a scaling factor to match the gradient of Tiger's Menu Bar. And that way you don't need to use Menu Bar Tint. You also need to Restart for the changes to take effect.

Also the Recent Items in Dock link is wrong. Here is the correct link for that one too, TUAW Tip: Put a Recent items Stack in your Dock.

For any one who is using the recent-item stack, and setting it to "favorite items": is there any way to change or reset the content of this "favorite items" from some file on disk? maybe a folder with short cuts or some plist file hidden somewhere?

I ask this because after some misbehavior of finder, my favorite items stack now has two copies of shortcut to Desktop, very perculiar. And changing the "places" in finder sidebar only removes everything else, except the desktop shortcuts. I've being trashing plist file of finder and dock and even cleaned cache with no effect. Incidentally, creating a recent stack in another user account gives the correct items (no duplicates), even though the desktop shortcut is always in stack whether or not it is in your finder sidebar.

any one?

guys, im having problems with the first line of stacks in terminal:

cd -/Downloads <----doesnt work. basically it just says the directory cannot be found. which is quite weird because i set up a folder already. am i missing something?

guys, im having problems with the first line of stacks in terminal:

cd -/Downloads <----doesnt work. basically it just says the directory cannot be found. which is quite weird because i set up a folder already. am i missing something?

Just go to /Users/yourusername/Downloads

ahhh...mucho gracias...:)

Edit: so if i were to put the drawer in a different location the command would be like:

cd ~/Applications/Utilities/Tool

and the 2nd line is:

touch ~mt 202001010101.01 "TL"

is that right? because it still doesnt work.

Assuming you're in the correct directory and the name of your folder is TL, the second line should be:

touch -mt 202001010101.01 "TL"

More directions HERE.

i tried access applications through terminal, it still say that there is no such directory or file. :( issit because i didnt install xTools?

i tried access applications through terminal, it still say that there is no such directory or file. :( issit because i didnt install xTools?

What exactly are you trying to do? The commands you've mentioned are to change the current directory to ~/Applications/Utilities/Tool and to change the modified date of "TL" within that directory. You do not need Xcode in order to complete the directions in the Tutorial.

What exactly are you trying to do? The commands you've mentioned are to change the current directory to ~/Applications/Utilities/Tool and to change the modified date of "TL" within that directory. You do not need Xcode in order to complete the directions in the Tutorial.

thats the thing. i made one. then i even tried to check it through the Go To function by putting in /applications/utilities/tool/tools and it brought me to it.

thats the thing. i made one. then i even tried to check it through the Go To function by putting in /applications/utilities/tool/tools and it brought me to it.

My mistake, don't use the ~

cd /Applications/Utilities/Tool/Tools

Or move the "TL" folder to your Desktop:

cd ~/Desktop