10.5.1 update

blunotte69

55 posts in this topic

Not without EFI patch.

Has anyone done this update yet? With or without having applied the EFI patch?

Results please.......

. . yes; ran it with PC_EFI [ToH/vanilla kernel]: installer would for some reason not write a package receipt.

System profiler shows 10.5.1 9B18

I used the BrazilMac method to create my installer disk from a full Leopard install disk. After installing the efi bootloader v.5, I loaded the vanilla kernel and after rebooting, I updated to 10.5.1 and it works perfectly. This is great news. For my system, if there's ever a way to include the efi bootloader on a full Leopard install disk, I'll have a "one disk does all" solution for Leopard...better than the best I've had with Tiger. Everything works out of the box.

I used the BrazilMac method to create my installer disk from a full Leopard install disk. After installing the efi bootloader v.5, I loaded the vanilla kernel and after rebooting, I updated to 10.5.1 and it works perfectly. This is great news. For my system, if there's ever a way to include the efi bootloader on a full Leopard install disk, I'll have a "one disk does all" solution for Leopard...better than the best I've had with Tiger. Everything works out of the box.

BJMoose,

This is great news! So you did a regular system update (10.5.1) through connecting to apple in software updates?

I'm thinking of buying a real copy of Leopard tomorrow and patching it with BrazilMac and running the EFI v.5 installer. When you say everthing works out of the box, you mean that you don't have to alter video and audio kexts?

Any advice would help,

Miro30

My rig:

Pentium D805 running on a Asus P5W DH motherboard

ATI 1800XT 256meg Saphire

BJMoose,

This is great news! So you did a regular system update (10.5.1) through connecting to apple in software updates?

I'm thinking of buying a real copy of Leopard tomorrow and patching it with BrazilMac and running the EFI v.5 installer. When you say everthing works out of the box, you mean that you don't have to alter video and audio kexts?

Any advice would help,

Miro30

My rig:

Pentium D805 running on a Asus P5W DH motherboard

ATI 1800XT 256meg Saphire

Of course if you examine our specs, you'll notice we have different motherboards and different graphics so YMMV. I did a fresh install on a newly formatted hard drive and it needed not graphics kexts for my 7600GS to get full everything. I use a usb sound so I didn't check my onboard sound. Ethernet works fine too. This was actually easier than any version of Tiger I've used. Yes, I did a normal Apple update to get to 10.5.1.

Use pacifist and install everything else but the kernel and integratedframebuffer.kext

you mean select everything, deselect those two items and then just hit install? seriously? that works? then why was every dot-dot-update such a mess for most people? ... I'm considering doing 10.4.11 this way. If it works, that'd be very fine...

any way to patch the update w/o EFI emulator since i just have a pentium 4? i saw a patch but its only for the kernel 9B13.

My system is also a Pentium 4 - hardware specs are in the signature. I have installed the pc_efi_v51 boot loader and the dsmos.kext package. I can't boot the original Apple kernels so I still use the ones from ToH.

Why tell you this? Well, I made a backup copy of /mach_kernel and then used software update to install the 10.5.1 update. After the update I did a reboot from my maintenance partition - you could use an install DVD -> utility->terminal - and I replaced the Apple kernel with my backup copy of mach_kernel.

Far as I can tell, everything is running just fine.

Update: Just noticed my USB audio speakers are not detected - will need to work on that sometime soon ;)

I just did a MAC Update on my TOH release on a Dell GX620. Everything was fine before I just did this update that was about 10 MB and I think there was an Itunes update. Computer said something about the Cache but I couldn't use my keyboard to say OK or use the mouse so I had to do a hard shutdown. Now each time I turn on the machine I see the Dell logo it disappears and reboots over and over again. I got into the Darwin screen (pressing F8) tried typing legacy -v and again the PC keeps rebooting. Is there a way to fix this because I already installed a lot of my MAC apps and I wouldn't want to have to redo this from scratch again. I already had issues with the NIC and sound not working. Any advice?

Hey Tech264, same thing here, was out all week in Florida and came home to check out the system and saw the 10.5.1 update, thought i would give it a try and see if it cleared up some issues I am having. Now I have the same issues as you, looks like the kernel may have been updated in and is now no longer able to load. Any help with would be great..