10.5.1 update

blunotte69

55 posts in this topic

I have upgraded to 10.5.1 from 10.5.0 with EFI. No problems, except with the Natit.kext.

It kept flashing to a blue screen, and when it came back the mouse was buggy. Deleted the natit.kext, which got rid of the problem, but took me back to a poor resolution.

The tried to replace the natit.kext, but every time I try to chown in terminal now, it simply says Operation not permitted. I've used sudo, tried anything else I can think of, and Googled profusely.

Shaun-Mac:Extensions Shaun$ chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/natit.kext
chown: /System/Library/Extensions/natit.kext: No such file or directory
Shaun-Mac:Extensions Shaun$ chown -R root:wheel /Users/Shaun/Desktop/Natit.kext chown: /Users/Shaun/Desktop/Natit.kext/Contents/Info.plist: Operation not permitted
chown: /Users/Shaun/Desktop/Natit.kext/Contents/MacOS/Natit: Operation not permitted
chown: /Users/Shaun/Desktop/Natit.kext/Contents/MacOS: Operation not permitted
chown: /Users/Shaun/Desktop/Natit.kext/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/InfoPlist.strings: Operation not permitted
chown: /Users/Shaun/Desktop/Natit.kext/Contents/Resources/English.lproj: Operation not permitted
chown: /Users/Shaun/Desktop/Natit.kext/Contents/Resources: Operation not permitted
chown: /Users/Shaun/Desktop/Natit.kext/Contents: Operation not permitted
chown: /Users/Shaun/Desktop/Natit.kext: Operation not permitted

Anyone got any ideas on why Leopard won't let me chown? (Note: this is on all files now, not just the Natit.kext)

Cheers.

Here I just upgraded to 10.5.1 with EFI v5 installed by using EFI bundled AppleSMBIOS and replacing my BrazilMac patched kernel with original non-patched kernel.

Be careful to backup AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext before upgrade if you're using GMA950 graphics card, after upgrade boot into single user mode with -s, run fsck -fy;mount -uw / and replace backuped AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

I have upgraded to 10.5.1 from 10.5.0 with EFI. No problems, except with the Natit.kext.

It kept flashing to a blue screen, and when it came back the mouse was buggy. Deleted the natit.kext, which got rid of the problem, but took me back to a poor resolution.

The tried to replace the natit.kext, but every time I try to chown in terminal now, it simply says Operation not permitted. I've used sudo, tried anything else I can think of, and Googled profusely.

Shaun-Mac:Extensions Shaun$ chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/natit.kext
chown: /System/Library/Extensions/natit.kext: No such file or directory
Shaun-Mac:Extensions Shaun$ chown -R root:wheel /Users/Shaun/Desktop/Natit.kext chown: /Users/Shaun/Desktop/Natit.kext/Contents/Info.plist: Operation not permitted
chown: /Users/Shaun/Desktop/Natit.kext/Contents/MacOS/Natit: Operation not permitted
chown: /Users/Shaun/Desktop/Natit.kext/Contents/MacOS: Operation not permitted
chown: /Users/Shaun/Desktop/Natit.kext/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/InfoPlist.strings: Operation not permitted
chown: /Users/Shaun/Desktop/Natit.kext/Contents/Resources/English.lproj: Operation not permitted
chown: /Users/Shaun/Desktop/Natit.kext/Contents/Resources: Operation not permitted
chown: /Users/Shaun/Desktop/Natit.kext/Contents: Operation not permitted
chown: /Users/Shaun/Desktop/Natit.kext: Operation not permitted

Anyone got any ideas on why Leopard won't let me chown? (Note: this is on all files now, not just the Natit.kext)

Cheers.

sudo chown ...?

I did try that, and it didn't complain, but it didn't work either. I'm no expert on any of this, but just from playing around I got the idea that sudo didn't return error messages.

So it doesn't seem that sudo chown works either. I'll give it another quick shot in case I did something last time, but still wondering if there's anything else that could be causing the problem.

Top of the morning to everyone. Hoping someone can assist DonW35 and myself with our rebooting issues after we both came in and saw an update from Apple applied it and now a dead machine.

There's a lot of messages and links out there that talk about EFI this and that but there's got to be a noob guide out there because not all of us are technically advanced.

I'm using TOH's release that worked fine till yesterday. Sure hate to redo this little PC after all that work that was put into it to get kexts working and a few apps as well.

I wrote some scripts to do the update without the fi patch and I have 10.5.1 working fine. Here is how I updated:

1. Downloaded the update DMG from apple website.

2. Ran terminal and used these commands:

sudo -s

cd /users/xxx/Downloads/

. pre-update.sh

3. ran the apple update installer. After update, when it asks to reboot, just close the installer.

4. in terminal used these commands:

cd /Users/xxx/Downloads/

. post-update.sh

cd /Users/xxx/Downloads/

. post-update2.sh

restarted the system.

Notice, I changed directory to /User/xxx(my username)/Downloads/ because, I put my .sh files there. If you place your scripts in some other place, you can change directory to that place. The scripts are not very professional. I could've make on scripts that does all.. but I made them for my persional use..anyoen is free to use them.

update_script.rar

No offense, but why would you post that question in this thread? Don't see any references to irc.

sorry just realized how random that was. it was cuz everyone was mentioning efi_v4 etc and i couldnt get it. figured it all out and have it now... sorry again for that hiccup

I wrote some scripts to do the update without the fi patch and I have 10.5.1 working fine. Here is how I updated:

sudo -s

cd /users/xxx/Downloads/

. pre-update.sh

3. ran the apple update installer. After update, when it asks to reboot, just close the installer.

cd /Users/xxx/Downloads/

. post-update.sh

cd /Users/xxx/Downloads/

. post-update2.sh

restarted the system.

Notice, I changed directory to /User/xxx(my username)/Downloads/ because, I put my .sh files there. If you place your scripts in some other place, you can change directory to that place. The scripts are not very professional. I could've make on scripts that does all.. but I made them for my persional use..anyoen is free to use them.

Thank you.

On the first page of this thread, I noticed some mention of problems when trying to upgrade from a 10.5 Flat File installation to 10.5.1. Has anyone successfully done this yet? And if so, what method was used?

Thank you.

yes every think work fine

sudo -s

cd /users/xxx/Downloads/

. pre-update.sh

cd /Users/xxx/Downloads/

. post-update.sh

cd /Users/xxx/Downloads/

. post-update2.sh

restarted the system.

Thanks. Works like a charm. Kept my sound, airport, ethernet. Lost QE but I believe jccool has a new installer for my graphics card.

sudo -s

cd /users/xxx/Downloads/

. pre-update.sh

cd /Users/xxx/Downloads/

. post-update.sh

cd /Users/xxx/Downloads/

. post-update2.sh

restarted the system.

i did this and it worked but i can only boot with -f .....but everything works and its updated to 10.5.1.........in one of the teminal commands above, i mistakenly used a lowercase d ( downloads ) instead of a capital D ( i think in the . pre-update.sh terminal command ).... does anyone know if that would be the problem??

it also prompted me to remove apple power management kext and i did.. was i supposed to?

Hi Guys Looking for Help,

I have a flat file installation

Installed the 10.5.1 patch and now the following occurrs:

1) Darwin Starts

2) Get Grey Apple Screen for 1 second

3) System Reboots

Tried -v and I see 5 or 6 lines quickly displayed then the system reboots.

Any help on how to recover the installation?

Thanks.

Asus P5B

Hard Disk 0 - Vista

Hard Disk 1 - OSX Leopard 10.5 upgraded to 10.5.1 (not booting)

No Tiger

No Boot DVD - Leopard DVDs will not boot on this system

Objection and Dainix,

Thank you so much for the quick reply.

This Installation does not have EFI patch unless it was originally part of Flat File. I assume not.

If I change the kernel to Mach_Toh, does that get around the need for the EFI patch. Is there a guide on how to replace the kernel and where do I get Mach_Toh. I'll do some searching to see what I can find.

Thanks again for your help and quick responses.

You don't have EFI. Only with EFI is it safe to use Software Update to install system updates - which I assume is why you're not booting anymore?

It's going to be more than just Mach_Toh that you need, it seems, since several of the files in the 10.5.1 package don't play nice with machines lacking EFI. The easiest solution may be for you to install EFI, assuming you have a compatible system...

Otherwise you may want to get a list of files that need to be restored (I know there's one in the 680i thread on page 10 or 11 since thats what I used to install 10.5.1) and restoring them from terminal in an install disk (Copying them from the install disk's system folder). It's going to be quite a mess though. Also, if you used the flat image I'm not sure you would even have an install disk.

Ok. All of that said - assuming you have MacDrive or something... maybe it would be a good idea to backup the data on your Hackintosh partition and let the flat image dd.exe run again and wipe it all out. After you get a working leopard you can work on getting EFI up (if it's supported) or use an Non-EFI safe alternative installation method (like the Pacifist one detailed in the 680i thread on page 10 or 11 - it's in that thread but it'll work for anyone who can't use EFI)

Edit: To elaborate just a little further on WHY this happened:

You were running a cracked kernel (and a few other files) to allow Mac OS X to work on a machine that runs BIOS instead of EFI (which macs run). When you tried to patch to 10.5.1 it installed updated kernels and other files that are looking for EFI (which in turn causes you to crash when it doesn't find them). There are two work arounds: continue to use cracked files (using pacifist to install everything in 10.5.1 EXCEPT files that would break without EFI) or to install a bit of software that SIMULATES EFI so that the "vanilla" kernel included in the 10.5.1 patch THINKS you're running a genuine mac.