ATIRadeon9700 Patch?

sniperviper

313 posts in this topic

Good luck! Sooner or later I'm sure someone will figure it out, it seams it wasn't much different with Tiger last year so I don't think I'll buy another 60 or 70 bucks card (just got my Ati x550 last year and it's still doing good - with her own 256 Mb) I don't want to make a collection of cards..

So may the force be with you! I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Here's a nice emoticon to go give some encouragement :)

Hi folks, guess what?

IT WORKS!! :)

I've just played several videos in full-screen (at 1680x1050 oh yeah) with obvious hardware acceleration (meaning no dropped frames), and System profiler says well, look at the pics!

I still have mouse tearing, no big surprise there, and I can't drag/drop files, and I have permissions problems, but I know those are fixable. I just wanted to let you all know that IT WORKS! :D

I'll add more details later (how I did it, if I can remember exactly) :P

post-8281-1195920307_thumb.jpg

post-8281-1195920334_thumb.jpg

Something strange here, first screenshot is Tiger for sure.

Nope, it's Leo, I promise :( I'd include "About this Mac" in the screenshot but that's never worked on my machine in any Leo build to date.

Obviously the Dock is not what we'd expect, but keep in mind I'm using 9a321. Apparently the dock wasn't updated in that early build and they were using the one from Tiger. I should be able to fix that. Before I go screwing around with it though, I'm going to Ghost the partition.

post-8281-1195922173_thumb.jpg

Very nice, Spock. Now is there a way to take the components of 9a321 that enable this card and bundle them with the 9a581 build so we have the latest dock and all the other changes from the GM?

I hope so. That's what I'm going to try, I just made a backup so time to tweak.

WOW! Thank you guys for your work! Been using 10.4.8 for so long coz i cant get QE of my ATI 9700 Pro to work on any other version.

Finally i'll be able to update to Leopard once we get all the kinks ironed out! Thanks guys! I'll be waiting for more news!

Great to hear good news! I hope we'll be able to find a way just to add and patch the kexts rather then have to install 321 and have to find ways to upgrade it to the day. I've started downloading it too but i rather not go trough installation but find a way to grab and patch the necessary..

What do you think so far, Spokers, how does it look?

I've been busy with other things (family, etc) and haven't had any time to play with Leo, but I will tomorrow. Haven't made much progress, in fact I've re-installed GM and will try to get QE/CI working using parts of 321. I'll let you all know when I make some progress. For now, all I know is that it *is* possible, since it works on 321. By the way, yunjing, I'm not developing kexts, I'm nowhere near that knowledgeable about OSX :(

My English not too is good, or must thank your work, some viewsprovide for you refer: I thought is the OpenGL.framework editionquestion, likes the HD2600 actuation, it has provided the revision OpenGL.framework actuation under tiger, directly has supported toleopard, and in system many ATY_Franklin.kext! !

The hope obtains you to help

Does anyone have any idea on how to find the dependecies for all the files related to the graphics in 9a321. I think that would probably be the best place to start is to find out all the files required for the driver/graphics in 9a321.

oke, i tested the 321 9700 files, they are intel based.First of all, replacing opengl with the 321 version with the 321 kext doesnt work.After editing all plists and set the plugin to use callistoFB, it doesnt work.

Then when i use all these adjusted 321 files and i hexedit my 3d53560000 into the ATIRADEON9700.kext, the kext loads and i see the screen resolution switching to 1280x800, so that part works. But then it hangs on a bleu screen with a black part at the bottom

My conclusion about this all, that the 321 kext are good to use, except if you want to use it with the x700 mobility, we have to hexedit the ATIRADEON9700 file the wright way, if we do it like the way on tiger, i get the bleu screen with a black part at the bottom.

So the only thing to to should be hexediting the file the correct way. I hope someone here knows how and what to do then.

UPDATE

oke, i just spoke with netkas about this problem.It seems that the structs from the GLdriver changed a lot after the 377 build, so its impossible to get it to work.So at this point i dont think that spockers got everything to work, sorry if im wrong tho.

Was your successful install with the pacifist method? I would assume you used a hacked kernel and possibly the brazilmac extensions if you used pacifist. Please post your exact method and a good torrent site to search (or a direct link). I think it may be a while before we understand the changes enough to make a patch.

My current torrent gets a file "h-mt10410x.r__" from pirate bay, if you have this version try dumping your tracker list since I have no seeds & 40% availability.

We notice that the dock has not changed in this version, therefore a change was made to the graphics engine between 9a321 and the release build. It is possible that Apple found the ATIRadeon9700 kext unworkable after 9a321 and deprecated the card, not so much to hurt us, but because there was no Intel version of the card on the market for macs. (they could have deliberately sabotaged us also)

A good combination to try would be the 9a31 kext plus the old dock and loginwindow. It may be that new effects are used are used after 9a321 and those references would fail with an older version of opengl and/or kexts. It could also be reverse and we could move the new dock onto 9a321. Apple should have a revision list they send to developers, we could check that out.

Someone should also check the PPC version for changes. I don't know if it is possible to compare a Universal and a PPC executable, but we can definitely look at the info.plist file.

--Again, seed your torrent, since many of us would be happy with any version of Leopard over Tiger. I am happily using 10.4.6, but new apps such as iWork and photoshop require at least 10.4.8 - 10.4.10 so I am forced to upgrade to something.

UPDATE: I got 2 seeds, I'll be done in 2 weeks.

Thanks guys :P

I'm installing it with Pacifist now. Stay tuned...

Edit: I keep hanging at AppleACPIPlatform.kext, can't get past it and I've tried several Tiger and Leo versions. Time to sleep on it.. (I'm seeding btw)

Does anyone have any idea on how to find the dependecies for all the files related to the graphics in 9a321. I think that would probably be the best place to start is to find out all the files required for the driver/graphics in 9a321.
That's it in a nutshell. I've seeded 2.6 copies of 321 so a couple ppl must have it, we need to pool our minds.
oke, i tested the 321 9700 files, they are intel based.First of all, replacing opengl with the 321 version with the 321 kext doesnt work.After editing all plists and set the plugin to use callistoFB, it doesnt work.Then when i use all these adjusted 321 files and i hexedit my 3d53560000 into the ATIRADEON9700.kext, the kext loads and i see the screen resolution switching to 1280x800, so that part works. But then it hangs on a bleu screen with a black part at the bottom My conclusion about this all, that the 321 kext are good to use, except if you want to use it with the x700 mobility, we have to hexedit the ATIRADEON9700 file the wright way, if we do it like the way on tiger, i get the bleu screen with a black part at the bottom. So the only thing to to should be hexediting the file the correct way. I hope someone here knows how and what to do then.UPDATEoke, i just spoke with netkas about this problem.It seems that the structs from the GLdriver changed a lot after the 377 build, so its impossible to get it to work.So at this point i dont think that spockers got everything to work, sorry if im wrong tho.
Just noticed your post. I've gotten the half-blue/half-black screen also. I haven't tried hexediting the kexts yet. I did try one thing, to answer a question to myself (is ATIRadeon9700GLDriver.bundle needed for QE/CI?), I removed it from my Tiger install and lost QE/CI, so that tells us we definitely need that file.About your netkas update: Could we use 377? Does 377 have the Leo GUI?