Asus P5K-E and Leopard $$$ Now with iATkOS.. first post updated $$$

vikingboy

190 posts in this topic

behling, if adding rd=disk0s1 into the kernel flags doesn't solve the "blinking cursor" error, try entering "-F mach_kernel -v" at the boot options prompt, that solved a similar problem for me. I have no idea what it does, but it worked. And the Kalyway 10.5.2 update worked perfectly for me, go ahead with it if you want, but just to be safe throw a backup copy of /System/Library/Extensions/ on your desktop if you need to revert back to old kexts.

First, I highly recommend the Kalyway install 10.5.1. DVD, there's no need for any patches, they're all included in the DVD so you click those before you begin the install and you're set to go once the system reboots. Secondly, I dunno if you're running the iATkOS or Kalyway, but the 10.5.2 update and the kernel update worked perfectly fine for me, so if you're running the Kalyway install, go for it, if you're iATkOS, it may be hit or miss...

iAtkois is getting alot of problem. i tink im gonna to try kalway later. wat options did you check in the boxes to get the LAN and Audio running? i dont tink i can run the script in iatkos properly

@blackhole. i tried the rd=disk0s1, howver i need to keep the disk in all the time and even when it does run it seems to be bootting from the CD to get into the OS. which is really really slow. gonna give kalway a try later.

iAtkois is getting alot of problem. i tink im gonna to try kalway later. wat options did you check in the boxes to get the LAN and Audio running? i dont tink i can run the script in iatkos properly

I don't remember off the top of my head, but if you click (without checking the box) the various options it will actually tell you what motherboard series the option works for.

Just wanted to let people know that after updating to (Kalyway's) 10.5.2, running the p5kefix.sh script caused Leopard to no longer be able to detect any of my SATA drives. Booting with -v showed something like "failed to load extension com.apple.driver.AHCIport" in yellow, and sure enough, replacing AppleAHCIPort.kext with the original one from the install disk fixed the problem. Thank god for backup kexts.

Now I just have to wait for Realtek to release working RTL8187 drivers that work in Leopard, since the Tiger utility drops connections after a second or two. Unless someone else has a fix for that?

Anybody get Time Machine working with the Asus P5K-E mobo? Everything else is working great.

FYI, cloning can be done in OSX , using Carbon Copy Cloner. http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html (donationware)

worked since install on my p5k pro, using kalyway 10 5 1

Okay guys heres an update. in short i got my system to work. dual booting win XP with OSX 10.5.2 on same RAPTOR HDD

specs are:

P5K-E

E6750

WD RAPTOR 74GB SATA

WD 500GB SATA

Pioneer DVD SATA

GIGABYTE NX8800GT

4x1GB crucial value ram

Silverstone oly 750watt

BIOS: i didnt do any AHCI settings or anythign use left it at default IDE memory remap was enable

okay i had alot of problems with iatkos didnt noe why. i would advice those having problems to do a clean install using kalway 10.5.1

basically here is how i did it.

1) insert kalway disk, format using MBR into 2 partitions. 1st in format mac journal 2nd in FAT

2) for customize screen only selected vanialla kernal, sound for p5k mobo and boot EFI_MBR

3) once finish installing. reboot PC take out DVD. came to darwin boot loader and booted into OSX with no problem at all

4) got to OSX sound tested was working, LAN was working outta the box, dont care about wifi cos i dont use it (will get to GFX later).

5) ran the kalway 10.5.1 to 10.5.2 combo update. restarted and let the computer do wat it did. and got to OSX again with no problem updated at 10.5.2

6) ran the kalway original kernal script. restarted again no problem

7) ran NVinject installer v.33 restared and my 8800GT worked with no problem QE/CI all supported nicely. running at resolution 1900x1200 on my dell 2407

8) ran software update for 10.5.2 to get leopard graphics update and a bunch of other stuff.

9) that makes the end of OSX isntalltion. no problem at all. very happy with it.

-----------------------------win xp------------------------------------

just install on 2nd partition. that ez.

Just to let you all know, Realtek just updated their site with new drivers for the Wifi. Testing right now to see if it's any more reliable.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downlo...;Downloads=true

Direct links (cause I'm not quite sure which one is right...8187L or 8187B):

8187L: ftp://210.51.181.211/cn/wlan/87_Mac10.4_v1309.zip

8187B: ftp://210.51.181.211/cn/wlan/87B_Mac10.4_v1117.zip

:-)

Hey i have Q6600 on the p5k-e wifi ap

2gb Crucuial Ballistix, MSI 8800gt 512mb g92

Sata HDD 750GB, and Sata DVD +- RW 20x

Ok everything seems to load just fine iatkos installs, i select:

Darwin Bootloader EFI + stock kernel and acpi kernel (i've tried only using one as well)

Nvidia 512 Natit 8800 ( iknow its for g80 but i did it regardless)

i also selected the intel speed step, sata, ( i think i forgot something but i know its not crucial to the process here)

ok so i install and reboots i take disk out i get com.apple.boot.plist not found okay i read about that. So i rebooted with dvd pressed F8 and typed rd=disk0s1 and i got into mac OS X just fine.

I didn't test anything yet but i wanna know how i can boot without loading the DVD each time.

I can't find a specific guide for this so if anyone knows how to fix it please let me know.

Also i tried GParted i get a black screen and then im thrown to command line interface for Grub v .97

but no GUI. I type in Root and it says my hdd is unrecognized.

Okay thanks Alot.

I'm running iAtkos r2 version and have to boot from iAtkos DVD to get my keyboard PS/2 working. I edited the boot.ini of my XP disk and add some tboot file so I could choose XP or Leopard and it runs fine, only problem is that my keyboard doesn't work. How could I copy the kext for the PS2 keyboard that is un the iAtkos DVD and replace the one in my Mac OS disk? if I boot using iAtkos DVD the keyboard work, but I don't know how to find the kext s in terminal and witch ones should I copy.

if anyone knows...

Thank you all

I'm running

E6750 at 3,2Ghz

P5K-E WIFIAP

2x1GB DDR2 1066

8800GTS 320MB

SATAII 320GB (XP)

SATAII 250GB (Leopard)

I have an asus p5k-E.

I have an SATA DVD-RW drive and an SATA 280GB HD.

I have tried using both the Kalyway 10.5.1 dvd and the iATKOS 1.0r2

I have an 8800GTS videocard (320mb, G80)

I can perform an install of 10.5.1 with no problems, sound, ethernet, etc. (video has never been right though).

When I update to 10.5.2 using the Kalyway update and also install the 10.5.2 kernels, I can boot into 10.5.2 but everything is non working again (sound, ethernet, etc.)

I was wondering if there was some easy guide to get this working, I have the blinking cursor after reboot as well on either dvd. The keyboard and mouse freeze after the update to 10.5.2 as well, after a second restart, it works fine, I tried reinstalling the drivers for everything else again though, just to see if that would get the sound and ethernet working but no luck.

My video has been inconsistant, I will install from the dvd and the card will work sometimes and will not work other times (same settings), I am remembering to reset my permissions, etc.

help?

My P5K-E WIFI runs perfect, except that i have sometimes problems with the sleep and shutdown issue. (sleep - but when it wakeup i have to restart, shutdown sometimes hangs with fans kept running)

I have installed a Kalyway 10.5.1 and the Kalyway Combo Update 10.5.2, for Sound i installed the AppleAzaliaAudio.kext from the p5k-e script.

Can someone please post some hint which kext affect the sleep and shutdown issue?

Thanx

HELP!!!

I have installed the iAtkos, and the p5kefix.sh script as you described, got the audio working, however, I can't get the Wifi to work! Any suggestions??

The installed Realtek shows the WLAN is disable, and I could not enable the AirPort.

Cheers.

Asus p5k-e wifi AP, Q6600, 4GB A-DATA, 750 WD SATA, ASUS 8600 512MB

Hey guys

I'm planning to install it on the following specs:

P5K-E wifi

C2 Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz (stock)

2x1GB DDR2-800 (will upgrade to 2x2GB DDR2-800 in the following days)

Sata hard drive and sata DVD-rom

From what I've read, both kalyway and iATKOS would work just fine, providing I enable the AHCI mode in the bios for both controllers I guess (jmicron and ICH). I read in the wiki that I should enable APIC 2 but there's no such thing in the bios option. There's ACPI2.0 which is disabled by default, and APIC which is enabled by default. I believed both things can be enabled at the same time. Is it crucial that I enable ACPI too?

Now my main question is regarding the whole booting thing. I dont get the whole MBR / darwin / EFI thing. Currently I dual boot vista32 and vista64 on my hard drive, and the vista bootloader lets me choose between those two. My plan is to install leopard on a separete hard-drive. Would grub handle the triple-boot without problems?

Thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

On a lot of boards, you have to set to ACHI in order to have it install. On my DFI P35-T2RS, I didn't have to set to ACHI in the BIOS and it works fine. So it all depends on the board.

It is best to have OSX86 installed on a different hard drive. I have OSX and XP installed on separate drives. The way to format to MBR is to have OSX Disk Utility to partition the hard drive, and there's an Option button that will allow you to select either GUID or MBR (I forgot what the other option was). I use tboot for the dual-booting so I can't answer your triple boot question.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I plan to install IATKOS, I want to ask how to do this step?

now edit apple.com.boot.plist file and include the rd command in kernel flags so that you dont have to enter it everytime

and want to ask is P5K-E Wifi-AP can run SATA, SATA2 , IDE with IATKOS??

ANyone got the front Audio connection to work or microphone device to work? I got everything else(ports) to function normally except front audio jack. I have no microphone. But I managed to install a Logitech Webcam using Macam driver and this webcam has built-in microphone. So for now, I have full functionality but I surely would like to have built-in audio chip AD1988B work with all ports.

• 2 weeks later...
ANyone got the front Audio connection to work or microphone device to work? I got everything else(ports) to function normally except front audio jack. I have no microphone. But I managed to install a Logitech Webcam using Macam driver and this webcam has built-in microphone. So for now, I have full functionality but I surely would like to have built-in audio chip AD1988B work with all ports.

In this site you can find drivers for full funcionality(mic, digital output, etc) for the sound card of the Asus p5k-e mobo:

http://wiki.taruga.net/tiki-index.php

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm a true n00b at OSX86 - but I'm going to swap out some PC parts soon and when I do so I'd like to install OSX.

My plan is to buy a P5K-E (I've built a computer with a P5K Deluxe and been very happy with it but this one doesn't need as many features) and an 8800GT card, maybe the MSI, to use with an existing Q6600/4GB RAM/4 SATA HDD's/2 SATA DVDs. I'm not happy with the current motherboard and the video card is old. I'm not sure about the video card, I might do an 8800GTS instead depending on what I can find out about Softquadroing the GT. My other computer is a Macbook with Leopard.

I'll dual boot using separate HDs. I'll need the ethernet, the 6 SATA ports and the USB, and the Firewire, and I'd like to have the sound working.

My questions:

-Starting from scratch, which OSX package do I want to use? I have iATKOS and Kalyway 10.5.2 discs here. Any big issues with either? Which makes it easier to do upgrades?

-What's the first thing that's going to go wrong? :(

-What's going to work better, an 8800GTS or an 8800GT? Or even an 8600GT?

-Is there such a thing as Softquadro for OSX? In Windows I can use Rivatuner to trick the OS by faking the PCI device ID to make the Geforce card appear to be the corresponding Quadro card, which allows the Quadro drivers to be used. For example, an 8800GTS with PCI Device ID 0193 gets its ID spoofed as 019E and Windows thinks it's a Quadro 4600. I've done 8800GTS to Quadro 4600 and 8600GT to Quadro 1700, and in theory 8800GT to Quadro 3700 should work. Any of these cards will be good enough for me in Windows.

I have the 8800GTS and it works very well with the NVidia drivers included in Kalyway's DVD. I don't know anything about the softquadroing though. Other than that, you'll need drivers for the audio and ethernet (and WiFi if you have it). All of these can be found on the OSx86 Wiki. You may have to tweek some of the bios SATA settings to get the DVD to recognize your hard drives.

-Starting from scratch, which OSX package do I want to use? I have iATKOS and Kalyway 10.5.2 discs here. Any big issues with either? Which makes it easier to do upgrades?

-What's the first thing that's going to go wrong? :P

-What's going to work better, an 8800GTS or an 8800GT? Or even an 8600GT?

-Is there such a thing as Softquadro for OSX? In Windows I can use Rivatuner to trick the OS by faking the PCI device ID to make the Geforce card appear to be the corresponding Quadro card, which allows the Quadro drivers to be used. For example, an 8800GTS with PCI Device ID 0193 gets its ID spoofed as 019E and Windows thinks it's a Quadro 4600. I've done 8800GTS to Quadro 4600 and 8600GT to Quadro 1700, and in theory 8800GT to Quadro 3700 should work. Any of these cards will be good enough for me in Windows.

Kalyway works really well with asus p5k-e.

The 6 sata ports and usb work fine.

There are drivers for 5.1 audio, ethernet.

I don't think that something can go wrong with your setup. Perhaps you will not be able to sleep the computer..

8800GT and 8800GTS work fine, but i don't think there is such a thing like Softquadro for OSX.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I've a big problem with this motherboard. I' ve installed the p5kefix but when i reboot i don' t have Audio and LAN working. For audio i found a file that solve it but for the LAN i don't find anything. I tried also to copy manually the file in teh Extension folder but now, when i reboot i've some error from this file (the system say that the file are not correctly installed) but the system work (without LAN e audio). can anyone help me?!? thanks