Asus P5K-E and Leopard $$$ Now with iATkOS.. first post updated $$$

vikingboy

190 posts in this topic

i havent set any bios settings to AHCI but it works fine :) Using IDE HDD and USB Drive on an Asus P5K-E. The S-ATA drives are scanned without any problems.

Has anybody made the Marvell LAN work ? I dont like using W-LAN... And it seems to be a bit buggy too (the realtek Software doesnt work properly, it is a mix of systemsettings and the software which made it work... i use it without any Security..)

Greetings

I must have the worst luck. First a duff Gigabyte P35 DS3P now my Asus P5K-Premium is unable to install Vista or OSX Leopard!!!!!!!

What am I doing wrong, I have Raptor SATA HD plus Western Digital SATA HD plus Pioneer SATA DVDR. All set to ACHI mode in bios, vanderpool and cpuid disabled.

When I put in Vista disk to install it takes forever to pick up the disk and get going, reboots at end of install and blank screen!!!!!

with Kalyway install disk Leopard says it installs successfully then hangs at the cream coloured apple screen.

I have requested RMA now for this board.

ok here goes my first post... and I'm doing it from Leopard...

System:

P5K- deluxe

E6750 reports with place holder

Corsair XMS2 - 800

Nvid 7900gs

2 Seagate SATA drives

SATA samsung DL burner with Lightscribe

Just wanted to share my experience and help out some if I can... I've lurked behind the scenes for months and now it's time to share.

Firstly I've tried just about all the methods of Installing Leopard that have been mentioned here from Brazil Mac to TOHv2. I started out with a Plain p5k and it ran slow to me as well as no onboard sound. So once I decided to go with the Deluxe I decided to also look for a new method of instal. I was lucky enough to run across the Kalyway 10.5.1 cd in the usual places and it has been a dream. It installed EFI and the Vanilla Kernel perfectly and I even left my drives in IDE mode with J-micron turned off. I disabled Speed Stepping but not sure if I even had to. It loads the Sound drivers by default and of course still no sound input but hey. Only thing I had to change after, to get wireless working, was add the IOnetworking.kext from the P5ke.zip... didn't run the hole script cause when I did the first time my system had a Kernel panic. Just figured it was one of the kext in there that caused it so I just used the one I needed. System is working fine now and as stated typing this from it now. Also if you are looking for a cheap multi purpose sound solution I've been using my Creative USB Extigy with Tiger since it came out and now with leopard. Has tones on inputs as well as different outs. I've had my Extigy since 2000 so I'm sure there pretty cheap now if you can find it... and works on mac's without any work. Well I hope my first post can help someone and it won't be my last... I have a lot more to share just not the time right now...

Oh I do have a question... is anyone running this board or an E version with Dual Crossfire graphics?

I'm using the iATKOS 1.0i DVD

I'm using a 120GB SATA drive with the ICH9R SATA port and I created 1 big partition using MBR method using disk utility (also tried doing it thru fdisk using Ubuntu LiveCD). I made sure to mark the partition as active.

I also installed the Darwin boot using the EFI option to the appropriate partition (disk0s1) in this case.

The SATA controller is marked for AHCI in the BIOS (latest for p5k-e, 901, that is).

Still.... blinking cursor. Cannot boot without the DVD in drive. JMicron controller is disabled in BIOS

Help?

One thing you HAVE to do is mark the Leopard partition as active.

This is really really easy to do, as long as you have the right tools. fdisk will do it from any linux live cd, and diskpart will do it from win XP. Google "making partitions active" as it's a bit tedious to explain here. Once the partition is active leo will boot no problems.

Also, don't disable JMicron, it's totally compatible with the iAtkos 1.0i dvd - as it has drivers and all. it's recognised as generic ahci, and the IDE is recognised as an ATA bus.

I've this board too but still can't bootup properly after installation (smooth)

my hw config is

mb: asus p5k-e wifi-ap

ram: a-data ddr2 800 4G (2G x 2)

display: XFX 8800GT 512MB (g92 core)

hdd: seagate 320G sata2 ( connected to sata port 1)

rom: LG sata dvd-rw (connected to sata port 2)

My status is as follows:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry560251

Did anybody managed with eSATA to work on P5K-E WiFi/AP?

Any suggestions on that will be much appreciated!

Edit: I just find out that if JMicron is set to AHCI it works, but for dual boot, XP can't see it, shows it needs a driver even if your windows is installed on AHCI (strange)

This is my third time installation

under customize option , I selected

Vanille Kernel

Vanille ACPI fix

nvinject gfnvidia desktop

boot efi mbr

Now more bootup messages shown up (a step forwarding to success). However bootup still stuck on a message

localhost mDNSResponder mDNSResponder-164 (Nov 4 2007 13:23:04)[25]: starting

Jan 1 02:08:49 localhost /usr/sbin/ocspd[85]: starting

And under the same bootup screen page, I saw other failed messages too.

AppleYukon: 0000000,00000000 Pwr-SavingsEED - failed to get APCI devices

display: family specific matching fails

AppleYukon:00000008,000002bd sktwsi - AppleYukon: error - TWSI: transfer does not complete

If boot without -v, bootup process give me a message "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power Button for several seconds or press the restart button.." with a big power buttom image as background.

Go to the top of the page.Report Post

+

adrian did you enable the AHCI option in BIOS?

also is your leopard boot hard disk IDE or SATA?

Installed the iatkos on my p5k-e wifi, with the patch everything works perfectly.

Except for games for the mac. Then i usually get an: application X quit unexpectedly.

This probably has to do with the translater ( translate ??? (???) /usr/libexec/oah/translate) which crashes with:

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000024

Does anyone have a fix for this particular problem? Any insight in an solution would be greatly appriciated :censored2:

FYI: I Didn't install EFI since using it crashed the installer, could that be the source of my problem?

Chaps,

Having a problem getting it to boot having installed. Hoping you can help me. Have tried the original and r2 versions.

Specs are:

P5K-E WiFi

E6750

2Gb RAM

Pair of x1950Pro's

Pioneer SATA DVD-RW

2x 320Gb SATA drives (unplugged)

I'm trying to install onto a 120Gb IDE HDD connected to the JMicron. I don't have a spare SATA drive I can try unfortunately. With AHCI enabled I can partition, format and install Leopard. Partition has the boot flag set using the Live CD (which I have to switch to IDE mode to run). Just get the flashing cursor problem. Have tried the EFI and bootloader methods.

I can boot from the DVD, and with rd=disk0s1 get it to load Leopard from the HDD. Fill out the keyboard and language settings and tell it not to copy any data over. It then goes off and has a think and I get the keyboard setup screen again. It keeps cycling round and round...

Any ideas?

magicboy

I think the problem might be your leopard partition identifier not being disk0s1...

are you sure it is disk0s1?

you can find the partition identifier from the disk utility...

once you set the correct flag with rd="leoprd partition here", then it'll stop cycling over and over

Booted into the installer again, checked with disk utility and it is indeed disk0s1.

Rebooted again with the DVD still in and it's now working. Weird.

Run the P5K-E drivers script which seems fine. WiFi installed but doesn't seem to want to connect (annoyingly!).

Any way of getting it to boot off the HDD without needing Darwin/x86 from the DVD?

Hey guys

I'm going to attempt an install of iATKOS v1.0ir2 on my Asus P5k-SE this weekend. I'll be using an IDE hdd (can't spare a sata :)) for install so fingers crossed. I'm pretty confident that it will be a success, but I'm still a bit confused as to whether the Atheros L1 ethernet is supported or not? I'll have a Realtek RTL8139C PCI ethernet card on hand as a backup.

Wish me luck, I'll post details when I attempt it (most likely on Sunday).

Cheers

Tim

Ok so I attempted the install today. Here's how it went...

Firstly my specs:

Asus P5k SE mobo

Core 2 duo 6750

2gb ram

Installing to a 40gb hdd (will possibly go buy another sata if I can' get it working)

Trying to install using iATKOSv1ir2

Booted to the install setup fine. Originally it would only pickup my sata drive. I tried again without the sata drive connected and it still wouldn't detect the IDE drive. I chucked it in my external USB caddy and what do you know, the setup detected it fine.

Now I tried to follow the guide, the only problem is is that I could not find the Darwin_boot install. It was not present in the utilities menu.

So I proceeded with the install anyway and it was successful.

But, I am now faced with the dreaded blinking cursor when I try to boot. Apparently running the darwin_boot script will fix this but I can't find it for download anywhere! I've tried this guide http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1789 but I don't have the Clonetool. I'm going to give this guide a try next http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=209. I'll post the outcome soon.

Success! I have a bootable OS X installation. My next issue to get around now is that my PS/2 keyboard won't work. Anyone know why? I've tried 2 keyboards and both don't work once the Welcome setup wizard thing is running. (can't turn on caps/num lock or anything).

I'll try a usb keyboard on Monday but that's too long away lol!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT:

I found a guide here http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...t=0&start=0 to try and fix the ps/2 keyboard + usb mouse issue but now I can't boot. I did the following:

cd "/Volumes/(name-of-OSX-partition)" <--- use quotes if name has spaces

- but don't use parentheses

cd System/Library

rm -rf Extensions.mkext Extensions.kextcache

cd Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns

mv ApplePS2Trackpad.kext ApplePS2Trackpad.kext.bak

mv ApplePS2Mouse.kext ApplePS2Mouse.kext.bak

I think it may have something to do with deleting the Extensions.mkext file? When I boot with -v, it fails early on the boot process, something about nfs_boot_init.

Any suggestions?

Hi!

As far as I know, it's my first post ^^

My specs:

Asus P5K-E / Wifi AP

Core 2 Quad Q6600

4 gigs of DDR2 800MHz Kingston rams

Asus ATI HD 2900 XT

iAtkos r2 patched installed on sATA drive, sATA working as IDE.

I installed the drivers for the graphics card, have QE, everything works fine with it. I used the patch in this thread, hoping that audio and LAN will work. I followed the installation steps. After reboot, I got audio, it is working, but I have no LAN connection. Checking in Network settings two ethernet connections are showing, but neither of them has a connection. I don't know what to do. Please help, I envy those who managed to get this working :(

Thanks in advance, cheers.

UPDATE:

never mind, got it working. The trick was to remove all existing connections, then add a new ethernet connection. Everything works like a charm. Thanks to you all, who made it possible!

Edited by ZeroXX

I am struggling a bit with my OS-X installation. I'm using the iAtkos v1.0r2 DVD. This is my system:

Asus P5K-E Wifi/AP

Intel Core2Quad Q6600 (OCed to 3300MHz)

2GB Apacer memory PC6400 (running at PC7000)

XFX Geforce 8800GT 512MB

Samsung 320 SATA

Western Digital 500 GB SATA

Pioneer DVD SATA

Apple wired alu keyboard and Logitech wired mouse.

BIOS changes: SATA in AHCI mode, disable Vanderpool, Max CPUID disable, IDE controller disable.

I also tried non-OCed, but this also didn't help.

(funny thing is, even if I set the SATA to IDE mode, the installation still completes ok and I have the same problems)

The installation goes without a hitch, from the customize screen I select:

Bootloaders: ALL

Patches: ALL

Drivers: NVinject 512 MB

System: SATA only

Network: Marvel Yukon 88E8001 + Wireless patch

But then the problems start. I get the blinking cursor error, so I boot with "rd=disk0s1". The I get to the welcome screen. This also loops after selecting not to migrate my settings. Appearently, this has to do with faulty permissions, so I boot the DVD again and using diskutil, I repair the permissions. The welcome screen loop is solved and I get booted into Leopard. I edit the com.apple.Boot.plist to add the

kernel option 'rd=disk0s1" so I don't have to use the DVD anymore. Wrong!  I still cannot boot into the system without the iAtkos DVD in the drive. I have tried setting the partition active using 3 different ways (gparted, Hiren's CD and just using fdisk from the Leopard command prompt). No such luck.

So I decided to accept this flaw and try to get Leopard up and running. When I boot into Leopard, my resolution is stuck at 1024x768, there areno other resolutions. So I try the beta kext for the 8800 series (from this thread: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=83931). No luck, at least I think so because the res is still stuck at1024x768. So I 

try to get audio and networking going by running the p5kefix.sh sript. After 

the reboot, there are no ethernet adapters to be seen. Bummer.

So now I'm at my whits end, don't know what else to try. How come so many in this forum have had success while I cannot get it going? Do I have a different P5K-E board or what? Is my BIOS outdated?

@osx-tim how did you manage to get a bootable OS-X disk?

PS: I see this in the system log, is that the cause of my troubles?

notice - UUID of on-disk kernel (/mach_kernel) does not match running kernel
loaded version 1.6.0 of module com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily differs from requested version 1.6.0 (UUIDs differ)
a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon.kext