Asus P5K-E and Leopard $$$ Now with iATkOS.. first post updated $$$

vikingboy

190 posts in this topic

I have a P5k Deluxe board and I was trying to install using either the Kalaway 10.5.1 or the Atkos 1.0ir2, both give me the plist error.

1. Asus P5K Deluxe WiFi-AP Intel

2. IDE Hard drive - 30GB (not SATA): Not formatted & no other drives are connected.

3. 4GB kingston ValueRam (2x2)

4. 8800GT EVGA card

5. Intel E6750 2.66 Ghz CPU - core 2 duo

6. Updated BIOS

7. I have mostly been trying to use the Kalaway 10.5.1 disk to set this up - Been burning them on DVD+R disks at slowest speed (either 4x or 6x)

8. An x-fi elite pro in one of the PCI slots (I don't care if it works or not in Leopard)

9. DVD burner - IDE (not sata)

I have tried using the default setting in bios and switching the settings (Advanced > Onboard Devices Configuration> Controller Mode > AHCI) & (SATA configuration> Configure SATA as > AHCI) & (I disable the floppy drive because I don't have one).

I have also tried other settings in BIOS to no success.

I keep getting this error: "System config file "/com.apple.Boot.plist' not found"

Any suggestions or other places I could look for help? Thanks in advance. and I'll be googling some more to see if I can find anything else..so far I havn't found much help under the same specs as mine.

Also I did the f8 -v thing and it says this:

Darwin/x86

4095MB memory

Vesa 3.0 14 MB (Nvidia)

hd(255,0) Ethernet PXE Client

after -v it gives me the plist error again.

Could the problem be with my IDE dvd burner or my 8800gt or my IDE hard drive?

zonoskar: follow this guide to make your os x partition bootable http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=209 I've done it twice now and it worked flawlessly both times. Also disconnect or disable your IDE controller in the bios, I had issues with this. I'm running my os x install off a ide to usb caddy. It's a bit slower but still performs quite well when the disk isn't under load.

cheers

I'm running Kalyway 10.5.1 on my P5K. I ran the script in the original post to get my sound working, but now it won't see my 500gb hard drive properly (it can see up to somewhere between the 100-200gb mark). Here are the hard drives I have and whats on them:

1 - 500gb SATA - contains Windows and all my files on NTFS drives

2 - 200gb IDE - contains Kalyway

The 200gb drive it can recognize fine, but in Disk Utility it recognizes the 500gb one as 128gb. I can see all the files, but if I try to access one that's over the 100-200gb mark Finder will close.

My controller is set to IDE, but I've tried with AHCI and it's the same (it was IDE when I ran the script though, maybe that's the problem?). Before I ran the script, it recognized both drives properly.

Also, my on-board ethernet still doesn't work. I've solved that temporarily by installing a generic PCI one, but it would be nice to get the on-board one working.

Anyone have similar experiences with Kalyway?

Those of you with P5K-Deluxe Wifi-AP, what options did you select to install and what disc did you use?

Basically I want the following to work:

* My GF7950 graphics card

* SATA HDDs

* IDE DVD burner (after install is fine)

* Firewire

* Sound

* USB (duh)

* At least one of the Gig-E controllers (both is unnecessary)

Don't care about dual boot or any other extraneous stuff.

Thanks in advance.

I managed to fix my hard drive problem by replacing AppleAHCIPort.kext and AppleVIAATA.kext with the original ones.

I now have an almost perfect installation running:

- Sleep works

- Shutdown works (completely turns off the computer, doesn't leave the fans on)

- Sound works (only out of the back ports)

- The on-board Gbit ethernet controller still doesn't work (I'm using a generic PCI one which works fine)

Here's my settings and what I'm using:

- Running Kalyway 10.5.1 with Vanilla kernel, EFI emulation, and MBR partition table

- SATA configured as Enhanced

- Using Acronis to dual boot Windows and MacOS

- Using the kexts provided in this thread to get the sound working, but replaced the two above with the original ones

Now I just gotta get the Gbit ethernet working...

Greetings,

This is my first post so please bear with me! I'm in the process of getting iATkOS v1.0i (2.08 GB size) to install on my rig without any success.

The rig:

Asus P5K-E/WiFi-AP

Intel Q6600

Asus GeForce 8600GT 256MB PCIe HDMI

1 x 4 Crucial Corsair TWIN2X 6400 DDR2, 2048MB CL5

Samsung HD321KJ 320GB 7200rpm 16MB SATA2

Installation procedure:

1. SATA configuration set to AHCI

2. Fixed and flagged a partition with GParted Live CD

3. Booted with iATKOS DVD

4. Formatted drive with Drive Utils as Mac Journaled file system and MBR mode for partitioning

5. Set up Darwin_boot with the correct disk and partition number

6. Chose to install EFI

7. Installed a customized installation with iATKOS and NVInject 256 Mb without any hitch

8. Rebooted with DVD in drive in verbose mode.

The boot process appears to be normal only to freeze after approximately 20-30 sec. And each time it hangs at different places in the loading process.

And I who thought that iATKOS was supposed to be easy on a P5K-E board.....

Please people, help me out here!

I have the Asus P5K-E board and am using the iATKOS v1.0ir2 disk.

I got an SATA dvd drive and the installation disk finally loads up.

When it gets the the where do you want to install screen, nothing is listed and it does not detect me IDE hard drive. I temporarily fixed this by doing the same thing osx-tim did and I'm currently installing it to the IDE connected to the USB.

My question is if I buy an SATA hard drive, will it detect that and install to that?

I Have my SATA dvd plugged into the 2nd SATA Port and I am planning on plugging a SATA hard drive into the 3rd SATA Port. (My 8800GT card blocks the 1st SATA port so I can't plug anything into it, will this be a problem?)

And is there anyway to get the IDE detected without using a USB caddy?

Random: I've also tried both installation disks: Kalaway and iATKOS, I've noticed that iATKOS installs and loads the disk faster than Kalaway had. Anyone else find these same results?

Also this just happend: I installed Leopard just fine via iATKOS and I install the

Graphics card driver installer - for 8800 series cards only G80 file. I restart my pc and I get this error:

"You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button for several seconds or press the Restart Button"

I do this and the message just keeps popping up after the apple screen loads for a while. (I even tried repairing disk and repairing permissions) I have an 8800GT 512mb card.

Thanks for all your help.

blacklabelskater -- The 8800GT 512 is based on the G92 chipset (only supported in 10.5.2 kexts) so don't bother with whatever G80 kexts are on the iATKOS disk. I'm actually attempting to install iATKOS r2 on a similar system tonight, I'll know how it goes in a few hours. I tried Kalway earlier today, couldn't get it to recognize a PS/2 keyboard, and when I finally got it booting into Leopard, it was indeed horribly slow. I think that has something to do with which SATA ports are being used (read something like that on the forum somewhere), but that didn't seem to make sense, as I'm installing onto a USB flash drive anyway. Reboot, reformat, and now with iATKOS at least the installer window seems to be much snappier. And by horribly slow, I mean ~20 minutes to run the p5ke script.

But an unsupported graphics card shouldn't stop you from booting up altogether. I know our GPU isn't supported by 10.5.1 and below (there was some workaround with beta kexts, or now using Apple update to get the graphics update will hopefully do the trick), but as far as I can tell that should only affect your ability to run things like screensavers and the flashy animations within Leopard.

Greetings,

This is my first post so please bear with me! I'm in the process of getting iATkOS v1.0i (2.08 GB size) to install on my rig without any success.

The rig:

Asus P5K-E/WiFi-AP

Intel Q6600

Installation procedure:

1. SATA configuration set to AHCI

2. Fixed and flagged a partition with GParted Live CD

3. Booted with iATKOS DVD

4. Formatted drive with Drive Utils as Mac Journaled file system and MBR mode for partitioning

5. Set up Darwin_boot with the correct disk and partition number

6. Chose to install EFI

7. Installed a customized installation with iATKOS and NVInject 256 Mb without any hitch

8. Rebooted with DVD in drive in verbose mode.

The boot process appears to be normal only to freeze after approximately 20-30 sec. And each time it hangs at different places in the loading process.

And I who thought that iATKOS was supposed to be easy on a P5K-E board.....

Please people, help me out here!

UPDATE:

I re-installed with iATKOS, chose to install the default installation settings (no drivers or patches or anything added). Partitioned via MBR. Everything now works great! Sound and Internet work thanks to asap18 and this forum.

Only things to complain about:

1. I don't have the graphics drivers for my card (Am going to try the apple update tonite and see if they support it because I'm stuck in 1920x728 resolution)

2. The OS won't load if the DVD is not in the drive (I've read guides on how to fix this, I just don't understand them and don't want to make a second partition on my drive.)

El Zodio: I don't have much experience but maybe just try installing the disk with all the defaults without adding any of the drivers or anything extra and see if that gets by the freezing, occasionally mine took a long time to load as well, I just let it sit for a while and eventually it booted up. I dunno?

blackhole005: Thanks for the advice, and I got it working fine without the graphics drivers being noticed. I actually never had luck with Kalaway either, gave me an error at the very end of the installation.

I fixed it! I had to use my old Tiger install's ApplePS2Controller.kext (that kext was grabbed from this forum), and my PS/2 keyboard worked!

For those still having problems, feel free to try my fix:

http://rapidshare.com/files/91256196/Apple...r.kext.zip.html

I've read that that your keyboard may not work after updating, http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...87139&st=20

I'm going to try the above patch before the restarting to do the update, if possible, just to take any preventative measures.

I've got this mobo, with a Q6600, and I have found out that the only way I can boot is if I use "cpus=1" do any of you know how to resolve this. I am overclocking my CPU, but all of the extra features for the CPU are disabled, only things I've tweaked are FSB and voltage.

So people have tried installing 10.5.2 on p5ke?

If we can get some definitive info on what kext's need to be kept and all that jazz.

I'll be attempting my upgrade in a few days on my base iAtkos v1.0rc2 + vanilla kernel.

decypheri, I gor 10.5.2 working with Netkas method on iATKOS v1.0i without replacing any kexts. All I did was to install a fresh 10.5.1 system of the v1.0.i DVD, apply p5kefix patch and 10.5.2_NVkexts+.pkg (props to uncola) and then install the 10.5.2 patch from Software Update. I followed Netkas (found here) suggestion basically all the way from point 1 to 13. I didn't bother to reinstall my kext backup (I just kept them), instead I ran the p5kefix and 10.5.2.NVkexts+.pkg again and then restarted. My first boot didn't go well but once I booted in -v -s it all suddenly worked. The first thing I did was to check whether I really had 10.5.2., which I did, and to restart without the "-v -s" command in Darwin boot. It worked like a charm. I then installed graphic update from Software Update and rebooted. My hardware info is all messed up though, so I think I should reinstall SMBIOS.kext.

Now to my question. I got really low results in Xbench 1.3. Somewhere around 140 each time. More suprisingly was the disk test. Random was 20 something, Uncached Write and Read were slightly higher... What's up with that?

My specs:

The rig:

Asus P5K-E/WiFi-AP

Intel Q6600

i'm getting the apple.com.boot error when booting off the installation disk (iatkos r2). can anyone help me? i read about the external dvd fix but i want to try and do it with an internal dvd drive.

edit: i got it to boot off vmware, but that would probably take me years to install.

edit2: dont worry, found out theres problem with the jmicron ide controller. ended up using an external dvd drive.

Behling -- to add that into com.apple.Boot.plist, go to terminal

sudo -s

(enter your password when prompted)

cd /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

nano com.apple.Boot.plist

find the line that reads "<key>Kernel Flags</key>"

and change the line immediately under it to "<string>rd=diskXsY</string>"

where X and Y are your drive/partition numbers

ctrl-O to save

enter

ctrl-X to exit nano

Repair permissions in disk utility, and you should be fine.

Also, update on my machine.

I got iATKOSv1.0 up and running fine on my system via the method on page 1, and updated to 10.5.2 with the kalyway update and kernel, and the new graphics update from Software Update. Install, patching, and all three updates went off without a hitch, repairing permissions and rebooting every time I changed anything. Yay! I've got two strange problems, though, which may or may not be related.

One, the whole system is really really sloooooooow, as though it was struggling to process any commands. Individual animations like the dock, etc, are snappy enough, but there's a huge delay whenever you do anything -- my cursor just loves being in spinning-beach-ball mode. About This Mac sees my C2D@2.67GHz perfectly fine, and the CPU/memory monitors show very little activity, so it's not like isn't using my processor properly. For example, starting up simple apps like Terminal or DiskUtility or TextEdit takes 20-30 seconds, booting up takes 3-5 minutes, etc. Usable, but very annoying. The only thing I can think of that could be causing this is that I have Leopard installed on an 8GB USB flash drive and maybe the USB port is a huge bottleneck. Is that possible? I know XP doesn't really like being on flash drives, but I thought OS X was fine with it. The drive works fine in Windows. I don't want to mess with my internal HD quite yet (with an XP install on it) for fear of screwing up something and making the XP partition unbootable, and I would try it on a regular external HD, but if it was the USB ports' bus speed slowing me down that wouldn't help anyway.

Two, my graphics card (8800GT 512MB) isn't being recognized, even after the Leopard graphics update. I thought 10.5.2 was supposed to natively support G92-based cards? System Profiler reports it as an unknown 32MB (!) NVIDIA card, which isn't even powerful enough to run the default screensaver properly. I suppose expecting it to work essentially out-of-the-box was kind of wishful thinking, but still, they should work with 10.5.2, that was the whole point of this EFI business. Any ideas? Kexts to replace? I did select NVIDIA drivers on the install disk at the beginning.

Behling -- to add that into com.apple.Boot.plist, go to terminal

sudo -s

(enter your password when prompted)

cd /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

nano com.apple.Boot.plist

find the line that reads "<key>Kernel Flags</key>"

and change the line immediately under it to "<string>rd=diskXsY</string>"

where X and Y are your drive/partition numbers

ctrl-O to save

enter

ctrl-X to exit nano

Repair permissions in disk utility, and you should be fine.

okay. i will try it later. however does this solve the problem where i need the DVD to be in the rom when i login, because at the moment i have to have the DVD in the rom, and whenever the option is up i have to press F8 key in rd=disk0s1 and enter so that i can login, else if i dont haev the rom in, i'll just boot to a blank screen witha blinking cursor or if i forget to press F8 it'll just wanna reinstall will running the script stop all this so i can boot in normally?.

2nd ting is did you run the p5ke script the same one

- Unpack the script to the DESKTOP.

you should have a folder "p5ke" now on your desktop

- Open TERMINAL

- Input code:

CODEcd desktop/p5ke

chmod +x p5kefix.sh

sudo ./p5kefix.sh

- Input your password, let the BASH do it's work.

- Type SUDO -S in Terminal

- Type REBOOT and press ENTER. Your Rig should reset.

i tried once but it didnt fix it, i might be doing it wrong, is there any sign to tell me when i do it corrrectly?. i read in an earlier post someone suggested not running the script but doing it manually. sorry im noob here can someone advice on that?.

lastly i have downloaded the kalyway 10.5.2 update. shld i just update to it directly? or just hold out at the moment?. cos i seriously do not know wat "back up kext, update kernal" all this mean. sorry for beign noob. all help appreciated. thx

hello everyone

this is my computer:

Processor: Intel® Core2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 3,40GHz

Memory: 4GB DDR2-800 GSkill 4-4-3-5

MB: Asus P5K-E Wifi/AP

Hard Drive: 2xWestern Digital WD5000AAKS RAID0 1TB + 1xWD2000JS

Video Card: Asus NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB

Sound Card: Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS

DVD Drives: Nec 3500a (IDE), Pioneer 112d (IDE)

I have both Kalyway and iATkOS but I cannot boot from dvd (error system config file missing com.apple.Boot.plist), because of JMicron IDE.

I haven't a external DVD or SATA DVD... so..

1) How can I boot from the install DVD? maybe I can install Jas 10.4.8 and then upgrade to Leopard?

1b) Is it possible to copy the dvd image on an external usb drive and boot from it?

2) Can I install Leopard on the single WD drive (SATA bios setting is RAID and not AHCI because of my 2xWD5000 raid0 with WinXP).

2b) Installation can corrupt Raid partitions?

3) Audigy2 ZS is working in Leopard? (I have read there that "Works Natively")

thank you very much

okay. i will try it later. however does this solve the problem where i need the DVD to be in the rom when i login, because at the moment i have to have the DVD in the rom, and whenever the option is up i have to press F8 key in rd=disk0s1 and enter so that i can login, else if i dont haev the rom in, i'll just boot to a blank screen witha blinking cursor or if i forget to press F8 it'll just wanna reinstall will running the script stop all this so i can boot in normally?.

2nd ting is did you run the p5ke script the same one

- Unpack the script to the DESKTOP.

you should have a folder "p5ke" now on your desktop

- Open TERMINAL

- Input code:

CODEcd desktop/p5ke

chmod +x p5kefix.sh

sudo ./p5kefix.sh

- Input your password, let the BASH do it's work.

- Type SUDO -S in Terminal

- Type REBOOT and press ENTER. Your Rig should reset.

i tried once but it didnt fix it, i might be doing it wrong, is there any sign to tell me when i do it corrrectly?. i read in an earlier post someone suggested not running the script but doing it manually. sorry im noob here can someone advice on that?.

lastly i have downloaded the kalyway 10.5.2 update. shld i just update to it directly? or just hold out at the moment?. cos i seriously do not know wat "back up kext, update kernal" all this mean. sorry for beign noob. all help appreciated. thx

First, I highly recommend the Kalyway install 10.5.1. DVD, there's no need for any patches, they're all included in the DVD so you click those before you begin the install and you're set to go once the system reboots. Secondly, I dunno if you're running the iATkOS or Kalyway, but the 10.5.2 update and the kernel update worked perfectly fine for me, so if you're running the Kalyway install, go for it, if you're iATkOS, it may be hit or miss...

ive got another problem now :( (seems like a new one appears everytime i manage to fix one). i got it to install perfectly and everything. it enters into osx no problems after the first installation. but when i reboot to the drive its installed on, it either freezes in the middle of loading at the apple logo screen or it gives me a message asking me to reboot in several languages. what needs to be fixed?