Eliminate Menu Bar Transparency

Numberzz

76 posts in this topic

Interestingly enough, I first entered that command into my terminal to disable the new dock for just the 2d dock and it worked, only leaving me with the transparent menu bar. I saw Numberzz's post this morning before leaving for work and typed the command in again and believe it or not, my menu bar is no longer transparent. Not sure if entering the command twice has any effect but my menu bar is definetly a solid white color. I will post an image of it when I get home.

Interestingly enough, I first entered that command into my terminal to disable the new dock for just the 2d dock and it worked, only leaving me with the transparent menu bar. I saw Numberzz's post this morning before leaving for work and typed the command in again and believe it or not, my menu bar is no longer transparent. Not sure if entering the command twice has any effect but my menu bar is definetly a solid white color. I will post an image of it when I get home.

Interesting. What Mac are you using?

Worth noting that while round corners are gone in Leopard, they’re there on the iPhone.

Oh, snap. You are correct. It's only about a single pixel, but still there.

I didn't even notice until you pointed it out.

Hey

Yesterday I upgraded my mac from Tiger to Leopard. I have a powerbook g4 1.5 ghz. To my suprise I had a solid menu with the 3d dock from start. I thought this was due to some settings that followed from the tiger install but now I'm not that sure. And I don't belive that this is due to the fact that I have an "old" powerbook. My powerbook support both Quartz Extreme and Core Image.

And yes I'm 100 % sure it is a solid menu.

Here is a screen:

solidmenu.png

Hey

Yesterday I upgraded my mac from Tiger to Leopard. I have a powerbook g4 1.5 ghz. To my suprise I had a solid menu with the 3d dock from start. I thought this was due to some settings that followed from the tiger install but now I'm not that sure. And I don't belive that this is due to the fact that I have an "old" powerbook. My powerbook support both Quartz Extreme and Core Image.

It seems to me that the menu transparency is not supported by your powerbook. Do you have a transparent dock when you place it on the right side of the screen?

Cheers,

hecker

It seems to me that the menu transparency is not supported by your powerbook. Do you have a transparent dock when you place it on the right side of the screen?

Yes, When I place the dock to the right it is transparent.

My friend who installed his powerbook that is a bit older than mine has a transparent menu. This is really strange, how could it be a issue with my powerbook if mine is newer than his? Must be some issue with hidden settings? I'm going to atempt a clean install of leopard when I get my external drive. Maybe it will be different then. Not that I'm complaining now but I want to have the oppertunity to choose between a transparent menu or a solid one.

Edit: Drop down menus are transparent. I also can have a transparent terminal.

Well - I'm stumped then.

I'm sure it's related to Core Image - since mine was opaque until I installed my X1800 drivers. After that, CI was supported and full transparency arrived.

Apparently if you don't have hardware accelerated Core Image you dont get blur or a transparent menu bar.

I have a 12" 1.5GHz PB with 1.25GB that supports QI and Core Image and I don't get the transparent menu bar either. I just find it strange that others with the exact same specs have it. Really, really odd.

I did some messing around with Quartz Debug and have found that the blurring is done by Quartz Extreme and not Core Image

Picture Left: QE disabled

Picture Right: QE enabled

post-136506-1193809871.png

post-136506-1193809877.png

Also, Over at MacRumors Maniamac contacted Apple Support:

20" iMac G5, 1.8 GHz, GeForce FX 5200 (64 MB vRAM): No Transparency

I called Apple Support yesterday regarding the lack of transparency in my menu bar. The support rep acted like she initially hadn't heard of the issue, but admitted the menu bar should be transparent in my computer. She then put me on hold, presumably to find out more.

When she returned, she told me the following: A bug is responsible for the lack of transparency in my menu bar, and that Apple's engineers are already aware of the issue and working on a fix. She claims that this will be among the issues addressed in 10.5.1, which she said to look for "in two to four weeks."

I hope this helps others with a GeForce FX 5200 who might have felt that they've been left in the lurch.

Looks like we may get this fixed after all!

I have a 12" 1.5GHz PB with 1.25GB that supports QI and Core Image and I don't get the transparent menu bar either. I just find it strange that others with the exact same specs have it. Really, really odd.

I did some messing around with Quartz Debug and have found that the blurring is done by Quartz Extreme and not Core Image

Picture Left: QE disabled

Picture Right: QE enabled

I have QE but I dont have blur?