Eliminate Menu Bar Transparency

Numberzz

76 posts in this topic

I was so eager to see how Leopard preformed on my aging PowerBook. It installed, and the computer restarted. I went through the normal setup, and everything seemed nice and polished. So when I got to the Desktop, I wanted to see for myself how the non-transparent Dock looked like at the bottom of the screen. I went into Terminal and entered the following code:

defaults write com.apple.Dock no-glass -boolean YES
killall Dock

Then after the Dock restarted, and the new Dock was flat and dark, but I realized that something else was different. My eyes floated to the top of the screen to see a non-transparent Menu Bar. Yes! Disabling the 3D Dock made the Menu Bar "normal."

See and Belive!

No it doesn't. The reason you have a non-transparent menu bar is because you're running Leopard on an older PowerBook. Only machines capable of Quartz Extreme and Core Image display the transparent menubar.

post-137154-1193497086_thumb.png

Also. The 2D Dock is transparent it just has a dark(er) opacity.

That's better. I actually like the 3D dock, it's a cool idea. But in reality it takes up a quarter of my screen. Why sacrifice larger icons for a dock on an angle? Beats me.

And the finder bar looks kinda ODD with dark or really brightly-patterned backgrounds... glad that there's a simple hack out there. Thanks!

For a nice little FPS boost I used Quartz Debug to Enable Q2DE (Force Quit) it to make permanent, also used SwitchRes X to set the Display to 70Hz rather than 60.

Not Need on my machine but every little helps. window scaling, movement and genie effect and Dock magnification seem smoother now as well.

Want me to try on my MacBook Pro?

Yes...

But, are you sure the Menu Bar was transparent before you invoked that Terminal command? Also, after invoking that code, does it kill all transparency? Are drop-down menus from the Menu Bar and Quick Look still transparent, or opaque? :blush:

No it doesn't. The reason you have a non-transparent menu bar is because you're running Leopard on an older PowerBook. Only machines capable of Quartz Extreme and Core Image display the transparent menubar.

Man, he has a 1.5Ghz PowerBook. It's not considered "older PowerBook" yet, and it does have both QE and CI!

OK, this is strange, why would a PowerBook with a better graphics card get it disabled when an iBook doesn't. That Screenshot says that when I disable the Dock, the Transparency comes back.

The two pictures you posted are different, try using the same image for both 3D dock on and off.

On my system the menubar stayed transparent when the 3D dock was disabled.

As a test I switched back to the default "star field" background and turned off the 3D dock. I then went into Display preferences and played with the gamma settings (profiles) and much to my surprise the menubar appeared to be non-transparent. (Although it still was ever so slightly)

So maybe this could be affected by different monitors, gamma settings, wallpapers, etc.

i don't get this whole thing at all.what's the point of this ?

2d dock and non-transparent menubar you have in tiger ...

new feature of Leopard is new desktop right ?

:):wacko:

~R