ALERT! Newer MSI P35 and G33 based motherboards don't work with OSX86!

258 posts in this topic

Congrats!

That is great news for you guys, I believe I was the 2nd person to have a BIOS hacked by Kabyl for my laptop =). I had been aware of the scenario that bricked an MSI board. I am now wondering what has changed? Did Kabyl get some better tools to pack the BIOS file with or was there more stuff to be fixed in the actual BIOS?

hey glitchbit... It was a really silly issue down to the tools used for BIOS editing. Namely the fact that up untill fairly recently, AMI (American Megatrends Inc) Used 512kb ROM chips for their BIOS. Now they use 1MB ROM's. This meant that the bootblock in the bios was being obliterated. Hence the bricking.

However now kabyl has it sussed and badda-bing badda-boom it's grafting.

If you need more technical information, I'd PM him, It's quite a complex subject.

Awesome. I have a Neo2-FR - if it uses the same BIOS then I'm gonna give this badboy a go tonight.

it works, I have this motherboard as well

make sure when you copy it to the flash drive that you choose BETA bios

also, still no IDE support...means I still cant install it as my ide-usb cable is faulty.

I dont anyone knows if there's a way of installing kalyway off a separate partition rather than a dvd?

also out of interest, does anyone know why the jmicron our motherboard uses is still completely unsupported?

Well everyone here who WAS ripped by MSI... there is now a working solution. http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry702654

Read post 216

This is confirmed to work with MSI P35 NEO... I'm now running all four cores and no switches for install or boot.

Of course, it goes without saying that BIOS flashing is always a risky procedure, make sure your system is stable, turn off any overclocks, follow instructions, you should be just fine.

I installed the BIOS on my USB Stick, but when I try to boot with it, it says:

"Missing operating system"

So I can't make this BIOS Update and I can't work with all my 4 CPUs. :rolleyes:

Is there anybody who can help me?

Greets DarkNeZz

I installed the BIOS on my USB Stick, but when I try to boot with it, it says:

"Missing operating system"

So I can't make this BIOS Update and I can't work with all my 4 CPUs. :(

Is there anybody who can help me?

Greets DarkNeZz

ARGGHH

I installed 10.5.2 using a laptop onto an IDE hard dirve with a usb adapator

I plugged the hard drive back into this desktop and it booted up! everything worked fine on it apart from sound, which was my fault for choosing the wrong driver, and IDE obviously.

restarted it, and back to the good old APPLEUSBEHCI error

anyone know what it is?

and darknezz, how are you copying it to your usb stick?

it works, I have this motherboard as well

make sure when you copy it to the flash drive that you choose BETA bios

also, still no IDE support...means I still cant install it as my ide-usb cable is faulty.

I dont anyone knows if there's a way of installing kalyway off a separate partition rather than a dvd?

also out of interest, does anyone know why the jmicron our motherboard uses is still completely unsupported?

Amazing. If this works 100% I'm buying a Leopard license and going (sort of) legit.

...with the linked MSI Tool.

The operation with the tool in completly successfull, but I can't boot with it.

apparently that sometimes happens

I think they had an HP tool in that thread somewhere to format the USB stick properly, then it should work

apparently that sometimes happens

I think they had an HP tool in that thread somewhere to format the USB stick properly, then it should work

Thank you very much.

Update successfull. :D

€DIT:

Update was successfull but my system still doesn't support my quad core.

Processor: 2.4GHz Unknown

Processorspeed: 2.40 GHz

Number of Processors: 0

Number of Cores: 1

Any ideas to solve this problem?

I now have Leopard working pretty much perfectly on my MSI Neo2-FR board thanks to Kabyl's modded BIOS which solves the cpus=1 thing and the "using buffers... etc." problem (or whatever the error was).

Been using it for a few days now and it actually seems to run faster and more stable than XP or Vista.

I now have Leopard working pretty much perfectly on my MSI Neo2-FR board thanks to Kabyl's modded BIOS ...

Cool! Could you please specify wich BIOS File you used, at least the Name of it please, so one could search for it. Because there where different Files around here and some people wracked their ("newer MSI Boards", wich ones they dont specify..)board as far as i understood.

was "the MSI_P35_Neo_7360v17_mod" or the "7345v18.zip"?

i got a MSI P35 Neo2 (without FireWire) - means the "FR" you have the one with Firewire

any hints for Installation would be highly appreciated. Wich distribution did you use? Kalyway 10.5.2? Any Drivers to patch?

Thank you very much !!!

Cool! Could you please specify wich BIOS File you used, at least the Name of it please, so one could search for it. Because there where different Files around here and some people wracked their ("newer MSI Boards", wich ones they dont specify..)board as far as i understood.

was "the MSI_P35_Neo_7360v17_mod" or the "7345v18.zip"?

i got a MSI P35 Neo2 (without FireWire) - means the "FR" you have the one with Firewire

any hints for Installation would be highly appreciated. Wich distribution did you use? Kalyway 10.5.2? Any Drivers to patch?

Thank you very much !!!

I used the "MSI_P35_Neo_7360v17_mod" file installed from a usb memory stick.

The release I used was the Kalyway 10.5.1 version, upgrading to 10.5.2 once installed. LAN works out of the box but I had to use the HDApatcher app to get audio to work.

If you need any help send me a PM.

im planing to build a hackintosh, i heard the MSI P35 Neo2-FIR, P35 is a perfect oc board, my cpu will be a Dual-Core E2140 1.6 ghz im planing to oc it to 3.ghz.will i have any problems running it under kailiway?im new into this os86 stuff so hope i will not have too many troubles with the install, would you still recomened this board or should i choose another board like the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P ?

im planing to build a hackintosh, i heard the MSI P35 Neo2-FIR, P35 is a perfect oc board, my cpu will be a Dual-Core E2140 1.6 ghz im planing to oc it to 3.ghz.will i have any problems running it under kailiway?im new into this os86 stuff so hope i will not have too many troubles with the install, would you still recomened this board or should i choose another board like the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P ?

make sure you have sata drives!

including the optical drive

Just to let you know:

Leo4Allv3 supports the ATA controller on the MSI P35 NEO (Marvell 88SE6111).

With the bios hack and Leo4Allv3 you can now build your MSI p35 based hackintoshs without any problems. Just make sure to boot with maxmem=2048 from the CD when you have more than 2GB RAM installed otherwise the installation freezes at the end.

Just to let you know:

With the bios hack and Leo4Allv3 you can now build your MSI p35 based hackintoshs without any problems. Just make sure to boot with maxmem=2048 from the CD when you have more than 2GB RAM installed otherwise the installation freezes at the end.

do you know exactly which kext it uses?

if you do, that would be incredibly useful as I wouldnt have to do a full install

thanks

Hey guys, I'm running Leo4Allv3 on MSI P35 Neo-Fi now. But it can't find my DVD-ROM which is connected to the IDE port. I installed using it, but the OS doesn't find it? Heh... Any ideas? I tried the IOATAFamily kext fix in the hardware sub forum, but it didn't help...

• 2 weeks later...

yesterday I've installed a Leo4all v3 and it works amazing. but my IDE drive can be used only when I'm booting from it. any ideas? I really want to thank all the guys which'd done all that hard work with BIOS and right release and so much moreyesterday I've installed a Leo4all v3 and it works amazing. but my IDE drive can be used only when I'm booting from it. any ideas? I really want to thank all the guys which'd done all that hard work with BIOS and right release and so much more

what about a MSI g31m board. Has anyone been able to get an install to work with this board? Any chance the neo p35 bios hack will work on a g31m board?

I couldn't. I guess it's affected by the same problem than the other motherboard here, but I can't afford to toy with the bios. How can we check if this is actually the issue preventing us from installing osx?

Just to let you know:

Thanks for the tip zacman. Installed Leo4Allv3 out of the box fine into IDE HDD using IDE DVD drive on Neo2-FR. Decided not to use the hack bios for now and running with cpus=1.