ALERT! Newer MSI P35 and G33 based motherboards don't work with OSX86!

258 posts in this topic

As predicted, no problems booting and installing from an IDE drive with the neo3, there are still the ACPI problems, which can be resolved with the howto 2 posts above.

I used an ubuntu amd64 livecd and used following line to mount:

sudo mount -t hfsplus -o rw,exec,nosuid,users,umask=000 /dev/yourharddisk /mnt

and then followed the howto for renaming and copying the files.

I don't use cpus=1 for booting and had no problems so far.

Kalyway DVD + acpi from tiger + nvidia 8xxx drivers for 10.5.2

I will probably buy the same motherboard as you in january. I have orher problems with MSI P35 as well. It doesn't shutdown properly from Windows, and doesn't boot up every time, or just keeps rebooting, not turning on the screen etc etc.

/E

I freaked out when mine did that too. They told me at PC Club that it attempts to boot several times until it discovers the proper processor type. Then, it boots up. After that, it only turns off 1 time before starting up. They told me it was typical when using a multi-core processor like Core2Duo.

I exchanged my Mobo anyways. The new one did the same thing. It works fine though. You also have to set the bios right for the sleep features.

So, I get to here when booting the patched DVD. Does this mean my CD is bad or is it because of the MOBO?

Image001.jpg

I am using Original OS X.5.1 with BrazilMac 9a581-patch (patched on my Mac).

MSI P35/G33 Neo Combo motherboard

ide 80 GB hard drive

ide Pioneer Dual Layer burner

1024 MB 800Mhz DDR2 RAM

MSI (NVIDIA) NX8500GT 512 MB PCIE VideoCard

When I type -cpus=1 ; no change

When I type -cpus=1 -x ; I get all the extensions loaded and it makes it to the screen you see above and then stops.

Somewhere I heard I should remove all the firewire kexts and put it on a new DVD. I did that with no luck either. Waaa. Kalyway takes waaay too long to download.

How much does a ide to sata or USB converter cost?

So, I get to here when booting the patched DVD. Does this mean my CD is bad or is it because of the MOBO?

Image001.jpg

I am using Original OS X.5.1 with BrazilMac 9a581-patch (patched on my Mac).

MSI P35/G33 Neo Combo motherboard

ide 80 GB hard drive

ide Pioneer Dual Layer burner

1024 MB 800Mhz DDR2 RAM

MSI (NVIDIA) NX8500GT 512 MB PCIE VideoCard

When I type -cpus=1 ; no change

When I type -cpus=1 -x ; I get all the extensions loaded and it makes it to the screen you see above and then stops.

Somewhere I heard I should remove all the firewire kexts and put it on a new DVD. I did that with no luck either. Waaa. Kalyway takes waaay too long to download.

How much does a ide to sata or USB converter cost?

Read my post a few posts up.

I posted a link to a tutorial that fixes that problem.

• 3 weeks later...
As predicted, no problems booting and installing from an IDE drive with the neo3, there are still the ACPI problems, which can be resolved with the howto 2 posts above.

I used an ubuntu amd64 livecd and used following line to mount:

sudo mount -t hfsplus -o rw,exec,nosuid,users,umask=000 /dev/yourharddisk /mnt

and then followed the howto for renaming and copying the files.

I don't use cpus=1 for booting and had no problems so far.

Kalyway DVD + acpi from tiger + nvidia 8xxx drivers for 10.5.2

Could you tell us what version of BIOS you have ?

Thanks

I'm using P35 Neo2-fr. I followed someone's post a few pages back and got the sound working right after install by picking the azaliaaudio driver from the customize install list.

@sub zero, your kalyway zip file u downloaded isn't corrupted, use winrar to "extract all" instead of the windows zip handler or winzip. apparently its packed differently. u shd get a large iso to burn.

for the benefit of others with similar setup as me, i managed to get kalyway 10.5.1 to install... a few times.

msi p35neo2fr

geforce 8500gt 512

2x1gbram, etc

i installed it on a mbr partition on the same harddisk my xp was running from. the last time i checked, had to boot with -f cpus=1. think i shd do something about my caches.

some opinion needed here though... on my previous install i updated to 10.5.2 using the kalyway comboupdate, its was working fine right after the update.

then, i decided to be a smartass and installed kalyway's hacked 9.2 kernels. boom. kernel panics all the way. i tried all the different parameters, no go.

shd i try the netkas 9.2 kernel instead? or if 9.1 is working fine i shouldn't bother with 9.2.

fanks, ge0rge.

ok. glad to help.

full specs:

mainboard:

MSI P35 Neo2-FR (pretty sure its not FIR, but I don't think it matters)

model MS-7345 1.0

Rev A2

chipset: Intel P35/G33/G31

southbridge: Intel 82801IR (ICH9R)

lpcio: Fintek F71882F

bios ver 1.8

CPU:

Intel core2duo e4500 @2.2ghz conroe

mmx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 em64t

2x1024mb ddr2

realtekhd audio

nvidia geforce 8500gt 512mb

1x sata tssc corp dvdrw (samsung)

1x ide hdd

1x sata hdd (this is the one i installed both

what else you'd like to know?

here's what i did:

prep: my sata disk is 160gb. my install of xpsp3rc is pretty fresh, and so is my hdd, btw. defragged my drive (fast because im only using like 20 gb at point of install), use paragon partition manager to create a new partition (uncheck make logical partition), resized it to about 20 gb (i just picked 20, nice number. if you take something like 10gb you won't have enough space to do updates maybe). make sure when you create partition select unformated.

-initially i tried to use iAtkos, but am unable to boot the install dvd

-read hear that kalyway 10.5.1 works

-downloaded it. windows zip handler finds it corrupt, used winrar "extract all"

-burnt iso, boot from dvd without parameter changes

-boot failed, stuck at er some "use only one style" thing

-boot with "cpus=1", success. "-v" optional, if you wanna see the loading

-osx installer loaded, select language. go to disk utility and select the unformatted partition. noticed that my ide drive doesn't show up.

-select the erase tab

-erase disk to mac os extended (journaled)

(at this point in time, i think you can check if your partition is MBR or GPT thru one of the options. partition manager can only do MBR i think. i had some problems booting up the first time run cause the installer defaultly installs the GPT boot efi. I had to reinstall.)

-close disk utilities.

-proceed with install.

-now, go slowly, read every damn thing, MAKE SURE you locate the "customise" button. i missed it by chance going to fast during one of my tries lol.

-select the MBR efi. don't install any vanilla kernels or anything else other than the azalia audio (the first one in the audio drivers list)

-install.

-restart, remove dvd. when it darwin bootloader comes up, press any button before timeout. i got an option to pick which partition to boot from, with parameters. i booted up from my mac partition with the parameter "cpus=1"

-doesn't work. stuck at the buffer thing. rebooted into xp and did the0's fix using macdrive 7, you can use other options:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...ic=78235&hl

-reboot, into leopard this time with "-v cpus=1" just to see everything. works. added parameter cpus=1 to string header in my bootlist. still no ide.

that's basically it. graphics work, sound works. i'm not sure if i need to get better drivers for graphics, but as of now i don't want to touch what's not broken. i did the quicktime update and itunes update and consequently had to add "-f" to the boot parameter to boot up, don't know why. haven't tried a 2nd time without it yet.

after that i did ran kalyway's 10.5.2 combo update. works.

that's about it. haven't touched anything else. wow that was long. im actually quite noob at this, gotta thank the guys above for sharing their experiences.

I did everything almost like ge0rge did.

Installed the vanilla kernel and everything is running quite smooth under Kalyway 10.5.1. Haven't tried the upgrade to 10.5.2 yet.

MSI P35 Platinum M/B, ICH9, Realtek HD Audio, NVIDIA 8600 GT Graphics all working (IDE NOT working).

I do have to boot with cpus=1.

I did everything almost like ge0rge did.

Installed the vanilla kernel and everything is running quite smooth under Kalyway 10.5.1. Haven't tried the upgrade to 10.5.2 yet.

MSI P35 Platinum M/B, ICH9, Realtek HD Audio, NVIDIA 8600 GT Graphics all working (IDE NOT working).

I do have to boot with cpus=1.

What does the vanilla kernel do?

BTW, you can add the "cpus=1" to apple.com.pboot.list (I think thats the correct file) so you don't have to sit there and type it in every time you boot up.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, a glimmer of hope may be on the horizon, if you read http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...0505&st=140 you'll see that kabyl might have a solution pending completion, he has been patching people's BIOS images with modified acpi information, namely the way in which the multiple processor cores are being presented to the operating system.

However, all attempts at creating modified bios's seem to be bricking the MSI P35 mobo's. On the other hand, he is working on a kext that might allow us to use all cores and sse3/vanilla... don't hold your breath as it may not be feasible, but hey, it's a definite maybe.

PS, read the full thread, many people have asked about the MSI P35 and have all been referred to the bricking scenario.

What does the vanilla kernel do?

BTW, you can add the "cpus=1" to apple.com.pboot.list (I think thats the correct file) so you don't have to sit there and type it in every time you boot up.

/Library/Preferences/Systemconfig/com.apple.Boot.plist

• 2 weeks later...

Well everyone here who WAS ripped by MSI... there is now a working solution. http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry702654

Read post 216

This is confirmed to work with MSI P35 NEO... I'm now running all four cores and no switches for install or boot.

Of course, it goes without saying that BIOS flashing is always a risky procedure, make sure your system is stable, turn off any overclocks, follow instructions, you should be just fine.