ALERT! Newer MSI P35 and G33 based motherboards don't work with OSX86!

258 posts in this topic

I am attempting to use the EFI boot method to see if that resolves the issue on my P31 Neo motherboard. I am struggling to find a method by which I can boot via EFI on my memory stick. Is it possible to install grub onto my memory stick only (so that I don't mess with my primary HDD), and then boot PC EFI from there?

Failing that, the Intel EFI pages seem to have disappeared, which is unfortunate, as they promised to hold a sample, which I presume was pre-compiled, and would have been perfect for me to play with.

I'm afraid I have no further news about getting PC EFI to boot on my Windows Vista machine. I'm sure that if I had Linux and Grub installed on my machine it would be a piece of cake, but I don't really have the time / will to install Linux right now as I'm very busy at the moment!

I suspect that I might be able to get it working with EasyBCD and NeoGrub, but I have done what I thought was logical and haven't had any joy yet. I don't know if this will actually help with the booting, but as EFI is intended to act instead of the BIOS interactions, it may possibly work...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Kalyway works

well, I think it does

my dvd drive is IDE, and it gets stuck at waiting for root device if I use it.

however if I plug it into my ide to usb adapter, the dvd loads fine.

My hard drive is IDE too though, and doesnt show up in the disk utility, but hopefully ill find my other ide usb adapter

right, ive got leoaprd installed now

I had to use the kalyway disc, and cpus=1 to get it to boot

this may not be a problem for some of you, but it doesnt recognise anything connected to the IDE port

including the dvd

so use ide to usb or sata adapters if you have them.

I'm running leopard off a hard drive conneced via usb, and onlu using 1 core, but its still running amazingly well

I just need to get ide recognised, and 4 cores working now

Starblob - Any recommendations on the cheapest way to get my IDE DVD drive working (you say that I can get an IDE->SATA converter, is that just a cable, or something fancy?). I tried Kalyway a short while ago, and when it died - I just assumed it was for the same reason as always, but this sounds hopeful.

I'm still running BIOS v1.2, but I notice that v1.6 is out now - It might make some difference? Either way, they seem to be releasing a lot of BIOS updates in a short period of time, so maybe they're still working on some 'compatibility with linux' issues... We can hope, eh?

I'll go play, and hopefully have something good to report shortly!

Starblob - Any recommendations on the cheapest way to get my IDE DVD drive working (you say that I can get an IDE->SATA converter, is that just a cable, or something fancy?). I tried Kalyway a short while ago, and when it died - I just assumed it was for the same reason as always, but this sounds hopeful.

I'm still running BIOS v1.2, but I notice that v1.6 is out now - It might make some difference? Either way, they seem to be releasing a lot of BIOS updates in a short period of time, so maybe they're still working on some 'compatibility with linux' issues... We can hope, eh?

I'll go play, and hopefully have something good to report shortly!

I think it's just a cable, however I havent bought one yet. I have version 1.6 and it makes no difference, ide still doesnt work.

I managed to get it working by using ide to usb adapters, however it means that my hard drive is permanently connected to usb, which is a bit annoying.

but who knows, maybe a bios update soon...

Success I say - Huzzah!

I have my MSI P35 Neo motherboard with one of my Quad Cores (Q6600) booting into Kalyway Leopard 10.5.1. Install was performed from the Kalyway DVD in an IDE DVD-RW drive, booted with boot parameters "cpus=1 -v", onto a freshly formatted 80Gb SATA drive (on the second channel I suspect, as I recently put it in). I set that hard-drive bootable in the BIOS before installing so that I could switch back to my XP hard-drive when it finished (or failed). Here is what I did.

1. Stuck an 80Gb SATA drive into my machine, as it was rotting in my old PC.

2. Inserted the Kalyway 10.5.1 DVD into my IDE DVD-RW drive and booted with parameters: cpus=1 -v.

3. I waited for almost 10 minutes, then selected English from the list. Next I erased my 'new' 80Gb SATA drive and setup a single 80Gb partition as Mac Extended (Journaled). The drive was set to use MBR partitioning, as I thought it was probably safer than going with GPT.

4. I selected my new drive/partition as the installation target for the OS. Before then initialising the installation, I clicked on the configure link. I did not enable the Vanilla Kernel (tried that the first time around, and it wouldn't boot afterwards). I also selected from the bottom option "EFI for MBR" - failure to pick the correct EFI option means that you will get the 'b0 error' or 'HFS+ File System Error' at boot. At this stage, I think the only other thing that I chose was the Azelia HD sound drivers (which seemed to work perfectly with my on-board sound).

5. I now left the system to install. Took about the same time as it took the DVD to boot (little over 10 minutes).

6. I now had a working, bootable OSX installation, with ToH's Kernel. Of course, I had to hit the keyboard so that I could tell it to boot with cpus=1 but I didn't even bother putting -v I was that confident. Surely enough - the system booted. At this point, I removed the network cable and completed setup and registration.

7. Time now to test my system - On-board Sound, On-board LAN, IDE DVD Drive, all working fine. Perfect. Don't forget to modify your pboot.list (IIRC) so that it automatically puts cpus=1 in your boot options for you, otherwise you'll have to do it manually every time you boot.

8. Only thing to worry about now was my MSI GeForce 8600GT GFX Card (256Mb I believe). After a short search, I found 10.5.2_NVkexts+.pkg here on these forums. It includes the kexts from 10.5.2 for the 8600 and some other magic to replace some OpenGL files and the like. I don't really know the details, I just know that it worked. After a restart, I had a fully working OSX system running at 1280x1024 in 32-bit colour with the Advanced Quartz effects enabled (semi-transparent bar at the top). Everything worked savvy - including FrontRow and the like.

9. Next I set my BIOS to boot back from the old hard-drive. Low and behold, I was back in Windows XP.

10. I didn't want to leave anything to chance, so I downloaded WinGrub, set the base option to drive C: and let it install my menu files there. I then edited MENU.LST to include;

timeout 10

title Windows at (hd0,0)

root (hd0,0)

chainloader +1

boot

title OSX at (hd1,0)

root (hd1,0)

makeactive

chainloader +1

boot

11. I then installed Grub to my boot.ini (just being cautious). However, I would advise backing up your boot.ini first, as it completely nuked mine when I pressed install, so I had to recover it. Either way, it should read;

[boot loader]

timeout=10

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

C:\GRLDR="Grub Bootloader"

This lets you load grub from the windows ntldr boot screen. I agree this is a bit faffy, but I was being safe and cautious after using an alternative piece of software led to a 140Gb folder in my C drive and a system that never booted (sigh). Next, I will either install it to my MBR (if I'm feeling ballsy), or I'll just remove the windows option above and put the timeout to 1, so that it instantly loads OSX after I select "grub" from by ntldr boot menu.

12. Finally, I sat back and grabbed a bottle of Swedish Pear Cider and a cookie as I enjoyed my dual-booting OSX/XP64 experience. Fantabulous.

EvanRodge: I'm afraid it's not a Neo2, it's just the MSI Neo patched to BIOS version 1.2.

Starblob: I didn't do anything, it just worked. I've included my system specs below - if you want me to give a detailed read-out of my BIOS settings then I can do so. Might be something in those actually that will help both evanrodge and yourself starblob!

My hardware is as follows. The number in brackets at the end are the eBuyer quick-find codes incase you would like to find out anything more about this hardware that I might've missed.

1x Maxtor STM3320820AS 320gb 7200RPM SATAII (120305)

1x HP DVD1040 20x DVD±RW RAM Lightscribe Black (133591)

1x MSI 8600GT Silent edition 256MB DVI HDTV (126985)

1x A4 Tech Black/Silver Wireless Keyboard & Mouse (129410)

1x MSI P31 Neo-F iP31 Motherboard (134615)

1x Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 (131950)

1x 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 (129954)

As I said, apart from the motherboard being a right royal pain in the rear up until now (and even now, as I can only get 1 core working), everything else works perfectly. I can write to my IDE DVD-RW, get accelerated Graphics, can use the LAN, get audio and the wireless keyboard/mouse is happy. Oh, also, I can't use the Vanilla Kernel, but the ToH one packed with Kalyway works a treat.

First at all Hi all2gether,

thanks your, Orendil your recommendations works fine. I don't have install OSX yet, but i allready try to start the installation from DVD with the boot option "cpus=1 -v" and minutes later the Leopard installationscreen appear.

All I have to activate is the AHCI mode for my SATA HDD in the bios.

My specs:

*MSI Neo 2 FiR

*Q6600 (G0)

*4x1 GB G.E.I.L. DDR II 800MHZ

*nVidia Geforce 7300 | 256 MB

*WD Caviar 500GB

*SATA LiteOn DVD - RW drive

Hi all MSI P35 owners,

I managed to install Leo on my board using Theo ACAPI fix.

Beside running on one core only Leo runs quite OK.

Did anybody managed to run the onboard audio ALC888 ?

If yes please post link to working kext.

Spadak