ALERT! Newer MSI P35 and G33 based motherboards don't work with OSX86!

258 posts in this topic

Hi,

I already tried to install OSX to:

MSI P35 Neo

MSI P35 Platinum

MSI G33M

There seems to be an issue with the ACPI implementation of these newer MSI motherboards (I already installed OSX86 in a MSI P965 Platinum motherboard without issues). None of the OSX86 releases work (the computers just reboot a few seconds after booting).

The only thing that kinda works is JaS 10.4.8 in safe mode (useless) and with only one CPU core, with these switches:

-cpus=1 -x

This is not a SATA issue.

This is not a GPU issue.

This is not a general chipset issue (P35 and G33 motherboards from other vendors work, i.e. Asus and Gigabyte)

This is about something weird happening with the ACPI implementation. Researching about this problem, I found that this same strange thing is happening with some notebooks.

Anyone has any information about fixing this problem?

Thank you!

I've tried turning ACPI off but no dice.Ha Ubuntu also has trouble with the mobo's ACPI but turning that off let me get the live cd booting. I am tempted to upgrade the BIOS from 1.0 to 1.5 and see if that does anything.

I should still be able to boot OS X using VMWARE with the install on a seperate disk no?

I tried installing leopard using vmware but I got a kernel stack error...do you know how to go about installing it that way?

as for the bios update...I have 1.4 and it doesnt work. I might try updating to 1.5, but MSI just says that it fixes a bug with resuming from S3 sleep, so I dont have high hopes...

please post if you try it!

Hi there,

I have a MSI P35 Neo-F, and I can confirm what has been said.

I have tried almost everything. Different OSX versions and DVDs, all kinds of BIOS/AHCI/ACPI/CPU settings. cpus=1 -v -x -f -s all the letters in all possible combinations.

I have tried the BrazilMac Leopard as well, kinda the same issue (Headers IO something bla bla, cant remember), or reboot if I don't use cpus=1.

I'm serriously thinking of getting an other P35/ICH9 motherboard, just to get OSX86 running.

---

Could someone contact MSI and have them make an OSX86 compatible BIOS? ;)

BTW, I'm using BIOS version 1.3.

/E

how would we go about using it? dont you need to install it first before you can use the patch?

and isnt that to do with sata drives, whereas ours is an acpi problem?

I probably dont know what im talking about :)

how did you install it using vmware? I got a kernel stack error...

Hi again,

People, forget about any kind of HD controller patch/kext. Even VMware install (unless you want to run OSX86 always that way, it will never boot natively).

The problem isn't around that. The thing is that there's something different in the way MSI implements ACPI so they're making all their newer motherboards incompatible with OSX86 (the same that happens with some notebooks).

You can't disable ACPI because it's mandatory for OSX86, I guess. You could install *nix and Windows OS's without ACPI, but not OSX86. The only hope will be that MSI updates their BIOS in some way as their competition's BIOS's work.

BTW, I already tried all the available BIOS for MSI P35 Platinum and MSI G33M. No go.

Cheers!

I used to be able to install it by choosing "Other OS / Other 32bit", I installed it on a real HD and by enableing Independent/Persistent in the advance settings for the HD in VMWARE.

But now I get an error when I'm about to erase the HD from within OSX install ;) Don't konw why.

/E

hi everyone...

i contacted to msi and they don't want to do something

1.Product Type: msi p35-neoF

2.BIOS version:1.4

3.External VGA Type: pciE-x16 8800gtx

4.CPU Type: intel q6600

5.Memory Type: ddr2 pc6400 2x1024

6.Power Supply Type:atx 500w

7.Operating System:osx86, xp, vista

8.Problem Description:

i can't install macosx86. i know that it is unoffical, but the problem is in your board, because on the borards from other vendors on this chipset (p35) all works... i don't know what to do, because i afraid that will be more other problems.

also i want to say that i was pleased with MSI as the solid company and i want to keep this feeling.

Thank you very much

Date:2007-11-1

Our solution

Dear Dan Shamota,

Thanks for contacting MSI Technical Support.

Duo to macosx86 is a unofficial OS,so you will meet many problems(you could meet different problems in same PC) even if you can install it successfully.The chipset vendors haven't released professional drivers for macosx86.So we can not provide the relevant drivers yet to our valued users.So we recommend our valued user to install Windows Server2003/XP/Vista to let your PC work perfectly.

BR

MSI Technical Support Team

Your Question.

but I am not sure that problem will be only in Mac OSx86... other vendors' boards are working. I read many forums and people said that the problem is with ACPI... may be you should learn more about your and other vendors' boards...

Thank you very much 2007-11-1

Our Answer

i am waiting for the answer