Build Osx86 To Run Logic 8

Steveuk

47 posts in this topic

Hi Steve,

No, I sold them along with my Powercore. I'm all native now. My RME PCi card is working great though, with very high plug count and low latencey. I'm using the RME mac drivers btw.

You should build something around the Q6600 (G0 version). For current price/performance you will not get better.

Hello Steve, I just read the you have an RME PCI card working under a hackintosh? Any who, I though PCI cards did not work under a hackintosh. I'm looking to change my FW 410 to an RME. Can you clear that for me. am I able to use PCI only, no PCIe or both?

-Thanks

Please stop suggesting an overclocked Q6600 hackintosh is the same as, or better than, a top of the range Mac Pro. I totally agree that for most of our intents and purposes, and probably for the OP, the Q6600 would be the better box.

However, the fact of the matter is that a Mac Pro has FB-DIMMs, which suck in direct performance comparisons due to their high latency. However, want to add another couple of DIMMs to a desktop system? It'll likely have a serious effect on performance. You can just keep adding RAM to a Mac Pro with no implications. And you don't have ECC RAM in a desktop, which you may never notice, but I wouldn't dare use a machine for serious workstation purposes without it. It may never happen to you, but it only takes on error bit to completely f**k up a project, to ruin thousands worth of work.

A Mac Pro is nigh on silent. You WILL NOT be able to build an air-cooled desktop as quiet, and do you want to risk water-cooling?

The Mac Pro has a warranty, something you invalidate by overclocking your CPU, regardless of whether that is well known to be a perfectly safe thing to do these days.

You really are somewhat tenuously comparing an Apple to an Orange every time you compare a Mac Pro, which is a workstation, to cheap desktop components, which never have the tolerances or build quality of workstation kit.

Please stop suggesting an overclocked Q6600 hackintosh is the same as, or better than, a top of the range Mac Pro. I totally agree that for most of our intents and purposes, and probably for the OP, the Q6600 would be the better box.

However, the fact of the matter is that a Mac Pro has FB-DIMMs, which suck in direct performance comparisons due to their high latency. However, want to add another couple of DIMMs to a desktop system? It'll likely have a serious effect on performance. You can just keep adding RAM to a Mac Pro with no implications. And you don't have ECC RAM in a desktop, which you may never notice, but I wouldn't dare use a machine for serious workstation purposes without it. It may never happen to you, but it only takes on error bit to completely f**k up a project, to ruin thousands worth of work.

A Mac Pro is nigh on silent. You WILL NOT be able to build an air-cooled desktop as quiet, and do you want to risk water-cooling?

The Mac Pro has a warranty, something you invalidate by overclocking your CPU, regardless of whether that is well known to be a perfectly safe thing to do these days.

You really are somewhat tenuously comparing an Apple to an Orange every time you compare a Mac Pro, which is a workstation, to cheap desktop components, which never have the tolerances or build quality of workstation kit.

I can still buy a Dell PowerEdge Server (with ECC RAM, Dual Quad Core Xeon, and SAS 15,000 RPM HDD) which will kick the {censored} out of a MacPro and be cheaper. Almost 1/2 price (1900€). To me a computer is a work horse, not a work of art. If you think that its "beauty" is worth it. Then go for it. I rather have the horse power (at the right price). I'm working with it not showing it off to my friends/family/co-workers.

My hack pro is silent, building a silent hack iss um... very easy. You can easily compare an oc'd Q6600 to any quad mac pro. They do a lot better in benchmarks, no need to pay apples crazy over inflated prices for a shiny case.

Well does that mean I can use any PCIe and PCI card as long as there is a macIntel diver for it?
No we are talking about RME.

You can of course use any pci-e card that has a mac intel driver though. When it comes to PCI your only luck will be with RME though.

My hack pro is silent, building a silent hack iss um... very easy. You can easily compare an oc'd Q6600 to any quad mac pro. They do a lot better in benchmarks, no need to pay apples crazy over inflated prices for a shiny case.No we are talking about RME.

You can of course use any pci-e card that has a mac intel driver though. When it comes to PCI your only luck will be with RME though.

So what your saying is I can buy any PCI or PCIe RME and it will work perfectly with its MacIntel Drivers on my hackintosh?

-Thanks

I can still buy a Dell PowerEdge Server (with ECC RAM, Dual Quad Core Xeon, and SAS 15,000 RPM HDD) which will kick the {censored} out of a MacPro and be cheaper. Almost 1/2 price (1900€). To me a computer is a work horse, not a work of art. If you think that its "beauty" is worth it. Then go for it. I rather have the horse power (at the right price). I'm working with it not showing it off to my friends/family/co-workers.

That wasn't the point of my comparison at all. I was talking about hackintoshes, and I never so much as mentioned the beauty of the system coming into it. There will always be people who justify the price of Apple systems with the looks. I'm not one. I was merely trying to point out that you can't compare a P35/965/975-based Q6600 system, overclocked to a server architecture and the design for stability and lifetime inherent in the build of workstation boards.

You're quite right about the Dell, and that was pointed out in the last Mac Pro - Hackintosh comparison thread, although I expect it sounds like a wind turbine, being built as a server rather than a workstation, and I couldn't find anythig with the CPU clock of the Mac Pro much cheaper with Dell in the UK. :)

Who cares -- even if my hackintosh ignited in flames and nothing survived, and I had to build a new one, in the end, it'd STILL be cheaper than buying a Mac Pro.

Right im going for basically the same build as Build

Gigabyte P35-DS4 rev 1.1

Intel Q6600 Go

2x1gb Corsair DDR 800

Nvidia 7600GS 256mb @ 1920 x 1200 does this have dual outputs working?

Seagate 500gb model ST3500630AS

OCZ GameXStream 700W Power Supply

Need a case any suggestions?

Anything i missed?

What u guys think?

Quiet system?

Hi Steve,

My system is near silent. To achieve this I used the following.

A Themalright Ultra 120 CPU heatsink and a near silent 120mm Papst fan.

I'm using a slient Nvidia Graphics card which has no fan. (XFX 256mb Geforce 7600 GS)

For power I'm using a Antec low noise truepower 550 PSU.

Western Digital AAKS drive which is very quiet.

Case wise I have fitted it all into a Apple G5 case, with a new 23" apple cinema display, and new Alu keyboard.

I've used overclockers.co.uk for parts and been very happy with their service. They may not be the cheapest though.

And yes my RME PCI card works in the PCI slot of the DS4 with RME's mac drivers.

What kind of music are you making?

Any questions please ask.

No I didn't.

I had alot of trouble before, as I had two and a powercore. I spent alot of money on motherboards, and still suffered bandwidth issues with the Tyan under high loads. TC blamed UAD, UAD blamed the TYAN's chipset etc. etc.

It was then I decided to go native.

However, want to add another couple of DIMMs to a desktop system? It'll likely have a serious effect on performance.

Why would it have an effect on performance?

Air cooleded, depends on what fan you buy but you can find some top notch quite fans out there.

Water cooling isn't really a risk, distilled water ( pure as you can find ) will have low Resistant to conducting electricity.

I personally haven't water cooled, but from my reviews and friends i never heard of them having a problem with it.

How will the companies know that you overclock your cpu though?

True, but it all depends on what you need to do on the computer. I wouldnt say Cheap desktop components, there are alot of great desktop components also for people who like to OC, Play video games, more strenuous work yet dont need a workstation.

Why would it have an effect on performance?

Usually, occupying all 4 DIMM slots results in severe latency penalties with most chipsets...

Especially those which support 1T and are running at 1T with 2 DIMMs, because I don't know of any boards which support 1T with 4 DIMMs stably. THe more banks you have, the worse the situation, generally.

How will the companies know that you overclock your cpu though?

So you're the kind of f**kwit who RMAs hardware that you've burned out through your own fault. 'Nuff said in that case.

That wasn't the point of my comparison at all. I was talking about hackintoshes, and I never so much as mentioned the beauty of the system coming into it. There will always be people who justify the price of Apple systems with the looks. I'm not one. I was merely trying to point out that you can't compare a P35/965/975-based Q6600 system, overclocked to a server architecture and the design for stability and lifetime inherent in the build of workstation boards.

You're quite right about the Dell, and that was pointed out in the last Mac Pro - Hackintosh comparison thread, although I expect it sounds like a wind turbine, being built as a server rather than a workstation, and I couldn't find anythig with the CPU clock of the Mac Pro much cheaper with Dell in the UK. :blink:

Listen to me dude, i've got both workstations, this mac pro and i recently buy for my sister a new PC. it's a badaxe 2 with the Q6600, 4gb ram and a hd2900xt.

both machines works great and the only differences i find it's 1) only when i run more than 4 vmware machines at the same time it makes lower. and it's obvius cause my mac pro has 16gb ram vs 4gb...2) the thread of cpu's both works faster and smoother, the mac pro process better when i use it for server. 3) power consumtion: belive it or not, the hackintosh eats my wallet in electricity.

BOth machines in games, UI, Windows Vista, XP, And Linux works like hell.

so there's nothing bad with this workstation, i spent a lot of money in this mac pro only because i love macs, but if i wanted something logic, i wil buy a hackintosh, it's so much cheaper and there is no application for HOME users that need "THE BIGGEST AND FASTES MAC".

Dude if you want to make a Machine to run logic. first i tell you this,,

Search the MOST COMPATIBLE mobo for intel Core duo and quad, (it can be a badaxe or some gygabite mobo try noy a nforce chipset)

if you buy a core 2 duo or a quad it's the same for what you want to do. at least now.

buy 4 gb ram, to make it run dual channel.

For GFX buy one that work natively like 7300gt or a x1600 you don't need to spend a lot of money on this if you are not going to use it. adn with this card the UI will work great. i 've a x1600 and xbench results are above 230

If you can buy a 500gb AAKs many PEop told ya that this disk run faster.

and think on this, Buy a Digi Design M-Poweres CARd,use your brain and use PRO Tools, this program will not desapoint you,, you can download it in TPB.

if you want to record the most important thing is the Audio Card , then ram, cpu , disk.. you must think in this order.

if you buy a mac pro like someone says in this post, first you you'll have a GReat great machine, but with a ridiculus soundcard.

when you record stuff, the cpu of the SC it's what more thinks not the machine, if you got a faster machine you will have many opened programas but not more eficience recording.

think about it, sory for my english.

hope this help you.

PS:ya llevo 4 años estudiando edicion de audio profesional en computadora.

matt

Usually, occupying all 4 DIMM slots results in severe latency penalties with most chipsets...

Especially those which support 1T and are running at 1T with 2 DIMMs, because I don't know of any boards which support 1T with 4 DIMMs stably. THe more banks you have, the worse the situation, generally.

So you're the kind of f**kwit who RMAs hardware that you've burned out through your own fault. 'Nuff said in that case.

No, but are you the kind of f**kwit that just makes assumptions?

Hi, I have to ask about 2 things.

As reading this thred,

So there is no point trying a 771 mobo and cpu? No point using dual quad 771 xeon?

If I want to have 8Gig ram, I have to use 2 x 4 gig sims for not loose preformance? (what type/manyfactor of ram should I use?)

- - -

Lets say I have 2500€ budget, what do you recommend in pc hardware?

Lets not forget that ₤1000 GBP = $2100 USD.

At this price, one could buy a decent iMac. However, I'd rather build a Hackint0sh and spend the extra money on a professional audio interface.

Gigabyte p35 DS3L

4 gigs of ram

Core 2 Duo extreme

geForce 7600GT (Natit .02)

dvd burner, case, etc

This will come to about $700 usd.

Next comes a top-end audio interface (With OS X support):

Echo Layla 3G 8-Channel PCI Audio Interface $500

http://www.zzounds.com/item--ECHLAYLA3G

With the $800 left over, you could buy a nice dual monitor setup (which the 7600GT supports).