[Development]-Broadcom 4311 Fix

Achilleus

348 posts in this topic

Well, technically, we are trying to force it into D0 as a result of the forcing the S0 mode. And I am guessing that we would just need ( I am not trying to make it sound easy, because it wont be ) software that can interface with the AppleBrcm4311 driver.

So im new too this whole OSx86 thing but I am very intrested in it I curently have a presario c500 and from what I read i will have a problem with my wirless card So I was doign some reading and ran in to this post.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...p;p=100609&

It talks about actually pulling out the card taping up a few pins and running it that way so it is forced to be on all the time I hope this helps.

Iamcanadian, I don't think that would be the easier way. As linux drivers are all highly tied into the linux kernel. And the only way anybody would have any chance at porting a linux driver is by finding one with a configuration script and not most drivers have them. Plus, the only driver avaliable for this card is bcm43xx (or b43 whatever you want to call it), and it requires a feature built into the kernel (maybe there is a place to find this, I will look for one and see if I can work with that).

Im going to ahem "purchase" Leopard 10.5.1 off the internet ( if you get my drift ), I will see what I can do with that. I also noticed when I compared a normal Mac's ioreg -l output with mine, I found that there is a seperate entry for the wireless card under PXS3 (which is the mini pci-e port ). Anyways, I will see what I can do with Leopard, be pacient though, my internet has a download limit of 200 MB so I can only go about 150 MB every 24 hours. But I will let you know when I finish getting it. Then I will see what I can do with Leopard.

just wondering, did anyone here try running it tiger/leopard thru vmware?

i've read that the windows/linux already initializes the slot so mac would have no issue with it. ive never used vmware before and dont have time to learn it right now.

tiger works on vmware, not great though, and leo doesn't work at all. I have tried the windows trick for the power on the wireless card, to no avail. IS there any godly way to make this work?

hey guys, i just received apple upgrade kit for "N" support, and although i was waiting it to be an atheros, it is a broadcom 4328 ID although the chip itself says BCM94321. anyway, it was detected right away, just had to swap en0 to en1 and im posting from a wireless connection.

so at least for me, it's not a pci-e port problem, it was a CARD problem... gd luck everyone.

i just have to figure out something coz it does not connect to my home network by default, i have to write the password many times and click retry until i get connected...i dont understand yet, but ill figure it out sooner or later.

EDIT:

ok, i noticed it connects automatically when i just go to network preferences ....but that has to be done on each boot.

so i popped in the cd that came with the card and installed a package called AIRPORT, which installs some sirport utility softwares and "N" enabler and now it's just fine, connects directly on each boot no problem.

BTW, i have read in many places that this package would not install coz it is made for MAC PRO upgrade kit and it detects that the hardware does not match, but that was not my situation, it just installed perfectly without the need to use pacifist to install the N enabler

PEACE OUT

well i find it does, coz you guys told me there's no problem with that hp compaq card, so i just wanna tell u that it is definately a CARD issue, whether it's a firmware specific for the card powering up or any other matter.... a fine card would get detected.

I dont know if you guys have got that issue, but you would definately know it for sure by trying out an original apple card and if it's not detected then it's a pci-e port issue.

good luck

Well youngi, it appears that your card is not a mini pci express card. As I found out here: http://www.getpartsonline.com/407674-004.html therefore, your problem does not apply to us. By the way, if your card looks like the one in the link, then you have a mini pci card and not a mini pci express so if you are having a problem and your card looks like that, you are in the wrong thread.Also, I believe that Apple uses a specialized card port to prevent using their cards in other computers and vis-versa.

my card is not like the picture in the link, im dead sure it's a mini pci express, i had intel 3945 which is only mini pci-e, and my 4311 was a mini pci-e and the apple card is mini pci-e....i have an hp laptop, i did the bios unlocking hack from a thread on this forum to be able to use the apple card in my laptop, but there was no other problem preventing the apple card from working on a non apple hardware...even the installation CD and N enabler installed without a problem.

All im sayin folks, if you realy want wireless with a built in wifi card, go get that upgrade kit from apple, for $49, and if by any bad luck it doesnt work for you, you will stop trying other cards and you will know for sure that it's another port problem(although i doubt it) instead of just guessing, and worst case you guys can sell the card back somewhere on ebay or something.

i took the risk, maybe you guys should do that too, it's your decision, and i think it's worth it.

Well youngi, it appears that your card is not a mini pci express card. As I found out here: http://www.getpartsonline.com/407674-004.html therefore, your problem does not apply to us. By the way, if your card looks like the one in the link, then you have a mini pci card and not a mini pci express so if you are having a problem and your card looks like that, you are in the wrong thread.Also, I believe that Apple uses a specialized card port to prevent using their cards in other computers and vis-versa.

The card shown in the link doesn't match the listed models. I have a NC2400 and the link provided, obviously, shows a mini-pci card, not the mini pci-e card that is actually used in the laptop.. I can't vouch for the dv6000 model though...

Edit: the model number of the card for youngi's laptop is 407674-001 which is a mini pci-e card, however, I was under the impression that the hp bios hack was already known to be a working solution on the dv series laptop.

I'll second that, got my new bcm PCIE card (after mikespug informed me about this issue) and sure enough it is not recognised at all by leopard on my NC 2400... wireless switch seems to work and still switches the bluetooth on and off but thats about it!

Okay so I have been doing a ton of reading on both this forum and other forums and it is obvious that no one has solved the wifi problem but here is my question form the looks of it the power on dousent happend becuase of the motherboard but becuase of the actual card itself so why not just order a new card like the Dell card that you can order form ebay for about 15 dollers and I know is confermed working for wirless. At that point the only problem would be hacking the BIOS becuase of the whitelist issue that happends on all Compaqs and HP's.

I'm not certain that every user is "experienced" enough to perform a bios hack. I've found many articles on hacking the bios in the dv series laptops but found that the process to be too different on my own laptop to follow. If you have found any new resources please post a link.

I already had this idea. Go ahead and try it, it would probably help, to find out how to do it just go farther back in this thread and you will see a link to the tutorial. It doesn't involve BIOS hacking either.10.5.2 is out. So, once Leopard is done (it should be done before the end of the week), I will download the update and work on that.

Here's another idea... I don't have the card to test it but...

bcm43xx-sprom

A tool for the modification of the Broadcom Sonics Silicon Backplane SPROM (e.g. you can permanently change the MAC address or the PCI IDs of your wireless card – useful on some (e.g. Compaq/HP) laptops where the BIOS checks these at boot. It's now part of b43-tools:

git clone http://git.bu3sch.de/git/b43-tools.git

The Dell 1490? mini pci-e card seems to be the card of choice for most hp/compaq laptops performing the BIOS hack. Theoretically you should be able to purchase one of these cards (since it's based off of the 4311 chipset), boot into your favorite linux distro (via livecd if you don't want to format) and change the ID's of the card to circumvent any BIOS whitelist without performing a BIOS hack on our laptops. Am I way off here? My thinking is that since this card is being used...successfully...in other laptops that it doesn't require the firmware to be loaded at boot like ours. If the ID's are changed to match what is compatible with your machine it should load and work fine. If I can convince my wife to let me spend the $10 (don't laugh) to order one I'll see what I can do.

Yep I had that same idea earlier so you are right on. I will order my card when I get the money ( I am 15 and have no job so I don't have the money right now ). But before I order the card I am going to try the 10.5.2 update and see if that works and that would be great because then I save some extra work and money and time.