[Development]-Broadcom 4311 Fix

Achilleus

348 posts in this topic

just fyi...

my 1490 gave a whitelist error in my dv5220 so I turned the laptop back off.

I removed the card, left the bottom plastic cover open, turned the machine back on, waited for the BIOS to past the POST, quickly stuck the card in before OSX had started to load (risky I know), and unfortunately it didn't unlock any mysteries for me.

in short, the 14 card acts the same way that my previous 13 card does.

Maybe I'll try the trick again after I update to 10.5.2 on my lappy. This hot plug trick wouldn't be a good option for everyday use of course, but maybe it will allow some other solution to come to the surface.

I love my desktop machine with leopard... The missing piece for the lappy is wireless!

Unanimous coward, your card is a Mini PCI. And therefore your problem does not apply her. Your card does work in OS X it just requires following the Simple Broadcom Wireless Tutorial (I don't remeber the link, just search the forums). And a note to everybody who is new to this thread, check to make sure that your card is a BCM94311 and is about the width of 2 keyboard keys and about the length of three keyboard keys.

Today is a good day. I finished downloading iAtkos v1.0ir2. I decided to open system profiler. I then clicked on the Network tab and to my suprise, the card was detected and called an Airport. When I am done installing, I will see if it still shows up.

any updates champ? is it working now? ur surfing the interweb super highway? cuz i have this dvd and haven't burnt it cuz i dont want to waste a disk. so any updates?

Well, it doesn't work. And it also doesn't appear in the Network Interfaces. But, it appears in System Profiler and it appears in Network Configuration. It appears as off in Network Configuration and if you click the button to turn it on, it doesn't do anything. Also, in the AirPort icon's menu on the menu bar, it says that their is no AirPort card installed. So, I will have the 10.5.2 update and I will try it out (thank god for EFI emulation), and if this gives me no results I will buy a Dell Wireless 1390 off of eBay and see how far I can get with that.

well bios hacking is really risky ive been doing a ton of reaing on it its not nearly as easy as the hp d6000 hack where u just need to change 1 thing and your done we are tlaking full lines of hex edditing to get it to work a saffer aproach may be to find out what cards are whitelisted for your laptop and going form there im going to do some reaserch in to what hp/compaq mini pci express cards work and post that up here.and if you still want to hack your bios this is one of the best guids I found out there check it outhttp://www.richud.com/HP-Pavilion-104-Bios-Fix/

boogersniffer, I have Mini PCIe, and yes, I checked, and yes, I read the rest of the postings. Thanks for your suggestions, but I'm having the exact SAME problem you are, and I was asking for work-arounds, not solutions.Thanks anyways, does someone else (who knows what they're talking about) have any ideas (perhaps someone who assumes I know what I'm talking about)

And a note to everybody who is new to this thread, check to make sure that your card is a BCM94311 and is about the width of 2 keyboard keys and about the length of three keyboard keys.
I really don't think you're in the right place, boogersniffer. Try and be helpful. Just because I havn't posted doesnt mean I'm new; it just means I've been able to find solutions by reading until now. Grow up, and don't be so judgemental and rude.

Unanimous Coward, I believe I know what I am talking about, where do you think I got all that information about this card ( the power information )? Do you think I just guessed? First of all, I really don't think I was being judgemental or rude. But what is your problem, I have been helping with this project for quite some time now. And you have no right to jump in and tell me that I have no clue what I am doing here. The only reason I was unsure of what kind of slot you had was because I looked up your general model and it appeared that it had a Mini PCI slot and not a Mini PCI Express card slot. And due to the large amount of people who have misunderstood who this problem applies to, I thought you had made a mistake too. But I was wrong and instead of giving me a whole line of {censored} you COULD have just told me that I was wrong and that you infact have a Mini PCI Express card slot. And what do you mean by "try and be helpful"? What do you think I have been doing? I also never intended that you were new. I think you are the one who needs to grow up and stop overreacting to a slight mistake I made.

You guys feel better now that you've got it all out? :rolleyes:

I've found a theoretical "flaw" in my suggestion to modify the dev ID... In order to modify the ID of a Dell card, one would first need access to a Dell laptop with a Mini Pci-e slot. The reason being, if you were to insert it in your own laptop it would be whitelisted and the laptop wouldn't boot....unless the "hot plug" method could get past this without damaging anything and still allow a linux live cd to detect it. Any thoughts...?

before you start going all teenager, get a clue. Do you thing I'd have posted and asked a stupid question without reading the rest of the forum? If I've been a member for 5 months and only posted twice, It is probably because I havn't needed help until now, since everyone else here is fairly informative. Stop being such a child. I WOULD appreciate some help, but I'm not expecting any from you (since you obviously don't care about anyone except yourself, which is fairly clear from the way you've been whining about a $40 wireless card).

before you start going all teenager, get a clue. Do you thing I'd have posted and asked a stupid question without reading the rest of the forum? If I've been a member for 5 months and only posted twice, It is probably because I havn't needed help until now, since everyone else here is fairly informative. Stop being such a child. I WOULD appreciate some help, but I'm not expecting any from you (since you obviously don't care about anyone except yourself, which is fairly clear from the way you've been whining about a $40 wireless card).

What do you mean by "going all teenager"? Don't give me your stereotypical line of {censored}. Just because I am a teenager doesn't make me a complaining idiot. Once again, I never intended that you were new or anything like that. You don't expect any help from me because I don't care about anybody but myself? Well if this was true, don't you think I would have worked on it by myself and not posted results or anything like that? How do I seem self-centered? Whining about my $40 wireless card? I never whined about my wireless card. If you want to start a flame war, go somewhere else because you are wasting my time by making me reply to your stupid and unneccessary comments. And if you do make another comment, you will get reported.

On a lighter note, that is a good point mikespug. I never thought about that. I think that it should work to hot plug it. But I also wonder if since the Dev ID of this card is 14e4,4311 and if it was switched with a Dell wireless 1490 or 1390 which also has the same Dev ID if it would be white listed. That card would probably work if all the BIOS depended on to detect the kind of card is the Dev ID. But I don't know too much about it so I can't really say much there.

Kalyway 10.4.10 appears to be fine

kextload: extension IO80211Family.kext appears to be valid

kextload: IO80211Family.kext loaded successfully

new-host-6:/System/Library/Extensions root#

But OS X still doesn't properly see the broadcom 4311 though it is listed in the ioreg -l.

I came across this on another site, a blurb about HP and their BIOS locking out non-Intel cards? I don't understand, this card works fine on the C571NR under Vista. and a BIOS hack seems dangerous. Given that HP and Compaq are the same company could this be relevent? Has anyone tried this on their C300 or C500?

]http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=155&p=1581&hilit=4311#p1581

I'm havin the same issues on my Compaq C304NR

From what I can tell the whitelist in the bios reads more information then just the Dev ID. Both the Dev ID and the VEND codes I'd assume. If the SPROM tool allows you to change both, which from the sounds of it, it will, then it should make the difference. If the whitelist only read the Dev ID then I don't think we'd be in the situation that we are in and could swap out any card with a Dev ID that matched ours. Hit the read link that Sincore posted regarding the BIOS hack. It should give some more insight into the information that is actually used by the BIOS to "block" a foreign card from being used.

Edit: It looks as though the BIOS reads the subsystem ID as well

Editx2: Check this out....!

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=75242

Right under our noses....

Go ahead and report me.

I just thought I'd point out that your research led you to conclude

Well, it appears that normally the HP Pavilion laptops don't have the problem we do (which is EXTREMELY strange). Especially considering that it actually is a Mini PCI Express card. Sometime I will have to order an Apple AirPort card and see if it will work.

and also to conclude that

Unanimous coward, your card is a Mini PCI. And therefore your problem does not apply her. Your card does work in OS X it just requires following the Simple Broadcom Wireless Tutorial (I don't remeber the link, just search the forums). And a note to everybody who is new to this thread, check to make sure that your card is a BCM94311 and is about the width of 2 keyboard keys and about the length of three keyboard keys.

Damn man (boy, actually). Get your head on straight, meet some girls and grow up. We're all here either to help, or for help. I don't come here to listen to your emo-rants about how sad your life is. At least you'll get upset at me online, and let your anger out. Just don't shoot anyone at high school. You may not realise that in real life, you can't be a jerk and expect people to talk to you.

@Unanimous Coward: Quit... if you feel that you have been offended and need to exchange words with someone do it through private messaging. Others do not need to be involded in your quarrel.

@booger_sniffer5000: Same goes for you. There is no need to defend yourself to someone you have never met, and are ...in the end...trying to help. Take the good and the bad and move on.

It's very easy to read too much into someone else's words.

Many of us have been following (and contributing to) this thread for awhile and now that we are so close to finding a solution it would be a shame for things to fall apart. The exchange of cruel words isn't helpful in any way. I would ask that both of you accept your differences and move on.

From what I can tell the whitelist in the bios reads more information then just the Dev ID. Both the Dev ID and the VEND codes I'd assume. If the SPROM tool allows you to change both, which from the sounds of it, it will, then it should make the difference. If the whitelist only read the Dev ID then I don't think we'd be in the situation that we are in and could swap out any card with a Dev ID that matched ours. Hit the read link that Sincore posted regarding the BIOS hack. It should give some more insight into the information that is actually used by the BIOS to "block" a foreign card from being used.

Edit: It looks as though the BIOS reads the subsystem ID as well

Editx2: Check this out....!

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=75242

Right under our noses....

Half of what the guy said in that thread I don't even understand =\ I was under the impression that all we had to do is just change the power status on the card/bus? Seems to me that this would be easier to do then all that hacking, with this all we'd have to do is change a few lines of code in the driver. And it's pretty easy to undo changes to a driver, too.

@mikespug: WORD.

I am going to order a Dell wireless 1390 or 1490 (basically the same card) today and trybthat tutorial out when I get it.

I highley suggest you get somthing compatible with the hp whitelist I tried the tutoial and I have the card like I said its more then just one hex number your chaning its like rows upon rows im pretty sure the solution lies in getting a white list complatible card . But if you want to try it out go for it and if u succeed props to you.

bios hack tutorial I actually never head of the sporm hack im reading up on it now thnx for the refrence

@mikes

So I did some reading and the sporg hack seams like it amy work but my question is. Is it possible to dothis hack using the terminal in osx?

be careful with the bios hack, i tried it on my c500 to try the macbook pro wifi card that i got for ebay, i followed the guide but i ended up screwing up the bios (bricked the laptop), i tried to restore from the brick using the usb floppy drive technique but it didnt work, i had to send it back to compaq , luckily they repaired it for me

I agree...the worst case with the SPROM hack is that the card will no longer function but I seriously doubt that will happen. Theoretically even if an unrecognizable or unknown DEV/VEN ID is put on the card it should still function as normal as this is the only variable being altered. The "safest" way to do the hack is to find a friend with a laptop that has a Mini Pci-e slot and doesn't whitelist any cards...this way there is no chance of damaging hardware when "hot plugging" the card into your own.