[Development]-Broadcom 4311 Fix

Achilleus

348 posts in this topic

Since we have found a solution, I am modifying this first post to describe how to fix your BRCM4311 problem.

This post has a fixed IOPCIFamily.kext for both Tiger and Leopard. This kext has been met with mixed sucess, but generally it will fix your wifi and ethernet problems. Just replace the kext you have with the new kext and see if it works. If not, make a post on that thread and hopefully they can solve your problem.

i have Hp NX7300 with broadcom wireless 4311 and if work very well.

4060b43a727a99d6a36add19354a87a4.th.jpg

28ebd7b6b8bcae547968eb5d30fb5cf0.th.jpg

only fix that i need is in Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

<key>BSD Name</key>
[b]<string>en1</string>[/b]
<key>IOBuiltin</key>
<false/>
<key>IOInterfaceType</key>
<integer>6</integer>
<key>IOInterfaceUnit</key>
[b]<integer>1</integer>[/b]
<key>IOLocation</key>
<string></string>
<key>IOMACAddress</key>
<data>

instalation is Jas 10.4.8 + Jas 10.4.9 SS3 Intel Update

Just to keep you guys posted I have a HP dv2000 core 2 duo with a 4311

My switch works fine as far as making the led turn orange and also when i turn the switch to off my bluetooth icon on the top right on the mac gets crossed out.

I know the bluetooth works so I dont have a switch problem since the switch turns the bluetooth on and off along with the blue/orage LED.

So far I have tried editing Info.plist and networkinterfaces.plist neither helped

Hope this gets worked out

I have an acer 5570z with Uphuck 1.4i r3. I swapped the original atheros AR5007EG with a broadcom 4311 (mini pci-e).

On boot up using the -v option, it displays an unable to resolve dependencies with the broadcom kext, therefore not able to load it. Manually loading the kext with kextload displays the same message. The card shows up ok with ioreg -l |grep pci14e4.

My conclusion is it may be a kernel related problem. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Same system and wireless card replacement as twobunnyrabbit and same behaviour...kernel won't load...acer 5570z

To add to the topic...

When installing OS X 10.4.9 v1.3 uphuck with 4311 mini pci-e pin 30 tapped in the laptop won't load after first reboot and kernel panics.

Soon as remove the card out of lappie system boots smoothie and able to setup. If card is inserted after this it won't get recognized so I do the network.plist trick

which goes back to kernel panic. :D

It has to be something about sharing hardware resources since the Texas Instruments card bus controller is not detected either properly and think it shares same pci-e interface - something similar as in windows IRQ sharing...thing is phoenix BIOS is very limited for such changes on this laptop...

So I am not sure what needs to be done maybe a more accurate hardware allocation table ? Is this in the kernel ?

I just got a 4311 PCIe off of ebay to hopefully get my dv5220us to be free of wires... too bad I'm an idiot who didn't read that the PCIe versions don't work. Damn... The thread I took advice from must have been talking about a regular mini pci version.

Let me/us know if there is anything any of us with these PCIe cards can do to try and develop some support for these cards. I'm no coder, but I'd love to help in order to see some progress. Thanks!

We really need gurus, were getting desprit (can't spell that word) and still we haven't seen anybody with enough expertise (no offence) to tell us what the f is going on and how to fix it. What do we have to do to get gurus around here?It also is unclear what the exact problem is, is it the mini pci-e port not being recognized or the mini pci-e port not getting power?

It didn't work out. I had more luck attempting to port ndiswrapper but that is too tied into the linux kernel to do much with. If somebody with better coding skills then me would kindly try to port either that would be nice. Sorry about that guys.I would like to add that I have gotten my mini pci express port using info from another post. Its listed and everything but the card refuses to work. Im downloading boot camp right now so I can dual boot with Ubuntu and then get my wireless card working there and seeing if getting power to it and then rebooting helps. I doubt it will but I will let you guys know ASAP. Again sorry that I couldn't port those apps there were so many errors that I would have been better off writing the thing from scratch and I don't have enough experience to do that. :(To get the mini pci-e port recognised I used PCIFamily.kext from 10.4.3 and I kept the 80211Family.kext from my Uphuck 1.3 install disc which I heard somewhere that it was from 10.4.5

I just found something that may help. :D When I typed in "sudo kextload IO80211Family.kext" it came back with a response of "kextload: IO80211Family.kext loaded successfully". Then I rebooted (crossing my fingers that my wireless would work). And I typed the same command in again and it returned the same response. Then I thought it was wierd and then I did the same thing with another kext and the first time it came back with a response of "kextload: BlahBlahBlah.kext already loaded". This brings me to the conclusion that OS X is not loading the IO80211Family.kext at bootup. That means that if we some how get IO80211Family.kext loaded at bootup, the wireless card should work. Its just a question of how we would go about doing this.I think I might be on to something. When I read some stuff about IO80211Family.kext after loading it manually via the terminal it said some stuff about it couldnt find a valid version of IONetworkingFamily.kext. Which I believe is because they are from two different verisons of OS X. I am going to try to use IO80211Family.kext from 10.4.3 and IONetworkingFamily.kext from 10.4.3 and see what happens.

Just to add to the annoyance - I've got an Acer 5582 with an Intel 3945 - which obviously doesn't work. So I got hold of a Ralink 257 mini pci-e, which I couldn't seem to find drivers for.

So I got a Broadcom 4311 (14e4,4311) and no joy, got another Broadcom 4311 (14e4,4311) and again, same story.

I don't mind buying another mini pci-e card, that's no issue, but I just want to know if it will even work. Currently I'm using JaS 10.4.7, but I'm grabbing 10.4.8 + .9 Patch for good measure.

Now I remember why I stopped trying to install OSX a few years back.

Im not sure, but it probably would work if you bought another. But I think I am onto something with the Broadcom 4311 mini pci-e so if you want to save some money, you could wait until we get this card working or if you want to get a new one that should work (Don't take my word for it) I think you could use a Broadcom 4306 card and then follow this tutorial: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=23684blessani, I forgot but there IS a driver for the intel 3945. Go here:http://code.google.com/p/iwidarwin/downloads/list

I just found something that may help. ;) When I typed in "sudo kextload IO80211Family.kext" it came back with a response of "kextload: IO80211Family.kext loaded successfully". Then I rebooted (crossing my fingers that my wireless would work). And I typed the same command in again and it returned the same response. Then I thought it was wierd and then I did the same thing with another kext and the first time it came back with a response of "kextload: BlahBlahBlah.kext already loaded". This brings me to the conclusion that OS X is not loading the IO80211Family.kext at bootup. That means that if we some how get IO80211Family.kext loaded at bootup, the wireless card should work. Its just a question of how we would go about doing this.I think I might be on to something. When I read some stuff about IO80211Family.kext after loading it manually via the terminal it said some stuff about it couldnt find a valid version of IONetworkingFamily.kext. Which I believe is because they are from two different verisons of OS X. I am going to try to use IO80211Family.kext from 10.4.3 and IONetworkingFamily.kext from 10.4.3 and see what happens.

I think you might just be on to something, but I don't know if it would help our specific problem or not =\ I don't see why it would load it up on other computers, but not our computers?