[Development]-Broadcom 4311 Fix

Achilleus

348 posts in this topic

my pcie 4311 off a compaq on my hp is not detected by system profiler, just dpcimanager only...i tried everything, kexts from 10.4.5 and 10.4.7 and tried a clean install of 10.4.8 so as 10.5.1 iAtkos and it is not detected at all...some people say it's detected but cannot search for networks but that's not my case.

so how would we do the firmware trial to see if it's related to it or even affects it?

oh and another thing, im on hp pavilion dv6395ea as my sig says, and the card is off a compaq 6720s, so since ObsidianX got his card working then i dont think i have a pci-e problem, i dont think it's even a pci-e problem on compaqs too, it might be the hp versions of this broadcom card.

could you give us more detail on ur card ObsidianX? full details please coz i really think it's a rev version or something that is the cause!

Well, I broke down and am trying to learn how to write a kext extension. It seems pretty easy, and it has a lot of similarities to C which I know some. Although I don't know how to write a driver, I could learn and will attempt to learn. I also have all this week to do this because I have all this week off because of regents exams and I don't have any.

well ill tell u something new on my hp and that compaq.

i put the card back on the compaq, the card is not detected on 10.4.8 Jas, but when installing iAtkos, the system profiler before i select the packages to install shows airport on en1 in NETWORK, but in AIRPORT says no card is detected. I also couldnt boot that leopard installation on compaq coz of kernal panic on apple boot screen and i couldnt fix that! probably the card would have been detected...WHO KNOWS!!

so i grabbed the card back on my hp, put in the iAtkos dvd and system profiler detected the card exactly as on the compaq, but right now im on that installation and there is no proof that card is in the laptop except dpcimanager!

guys, im really disappointed, i dont know what to do, i really need wifi on mac, i love mac and dont want to go back to windows!! i dont want a usb card either, and i dont know if it's a pcie port problem or just that card!

hi all!

i av a acer as5310, with the same wireless card in pcie version, and the same problem.

i readed all topics in this subject, with no succes :P

but when i installed the osx, the adapter was worked very well for me for only the first time!

at the end of installation the system asked me about networks, then it listed my router in the options

so i chosed it, and updated the itunes|quicktime|java succesfully!

tried in safari, and everything was okay! only the airport icon on the tray was blank (i mean didnt show any signal)

BUT! - and here comes that f*cking problem - after i restarted the system never worked again.

the system see the card, but its not powered on as the system profiler says.

so i think there must be some solution to fix it, because it worked once!

maybe just have to trick the system with something other driver?

i hope you can understand my very good english :blink:

br.corelx

hey man, im sure that is too bad ...but i read other people who faced same thing as you, but isnt that weird that it was almost fully recognized? there must be a solution to that...well i cant get it to be detected at all and i have no clue, but did u try the pin 20 cover thing?

corelx, unlike us, there is a very simple solution to your problem. I forgot what the fix was but I believe all you have to do is issue the following commands:

cd /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo kextload io80211family.kext
kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions
sudo reboot

and that should be it

youngi: didnt tried to cover the pins, i think there must be software solution

booger: i will try it, thanks!

edit: not working :( says the kext is already loaded.

when the osx is booting the led of the wifi is lighting. but when loaded theres no connection or light

Now its working!

I followed THIS tutorial,

and now its working fully!

The led and the button still dont works, but who care :(

my device id is: (0x14E4, 0x422)

so it can work for you guys! this is pciexpress card too, i checked it yesterday.

happy that it worked for you corelx, but we're facing a different problem...the card cannot be seen by the OS, at all!

it cant be seen in system profiler or anywhere else, but you do get the shutdown kernel panics on 10.4.8 before i upgrade to 10.4.9

im searchin for tips anywhere but no success, im tryin to understand how the pci-e gets recognized and what kexts have effect!

any help would be great.

Yeah there still isn't a fix. ;) But, I now know that the firmware does in fact contain power managment information and is most likely the reason why the card is not powering up. Therefore, the firmware is required or reverse engineering is required. I have email broadcom 3 days ago asking for firmware and they still haven't responded, (this doesn't suprise me). I have no clue how I could go about writing this driver without the firmware source. So, unless they for some reason decide to just hand the firmware over, I can't really do anything. It would really help if someone who knew their stuff about drivers and os x could help us out. Its getting pretty desperate.

Well, I posted a new topic here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=83193 just to see if we could get some more attention on the subject. I figured it could only help us out as I am having no success with writing a kext file. I will continue posting on this topic but I created another just to see if we could get some help from developers.

Is there a mini pic-express card that does work in os x? If so, what ones? Because if there is one then we could use this hack http://forum.insanelymac.com/lofiversion/i...php/t75242.html to allow the use of an os x supported card. Because I don't see this card working in the near future. So if we can use this as a solution, I would do it.EDIT: The Dell Wireless 1390 True Mobile Mini PCI-Express card looks like a good pick. So if you want wireless in os x, buy one of these cards off of ebay for about $10-$15 and use this link: http://forum.insanelymac.com/lofiversion/i...php/t75242.html

Is there a mini pic-express card that does work in os x? If so, what ones? Because if there is one then we could use this hack http://forum.insanelymac.com/lofiversion/i...php/t75242.html to allow the use of an os x supported card. Because I don't see this card working in the near future. So if we can use this as a solution, I would do it.EDIT: The Dell Wireless 1390 True Mobile Mini PCI-Express card looks like a good pick. So if you want wireless in os x, buy one of these cards off of ebay for about $10-$15 and use this link: http://forum.insanelymac.com/lofiversion/i...php/t75242.html

sorry, but i just want to know which one of us is being dense. because im sure it can't be the firmware since the 4311 works for tons of people otb, and where u say "is there a mini pci-express that does work in os x?" the 4311 already works in osx thats why the kext is called AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext, and if u did any reseach the dell 1390 uses the 4311. those are 3 reasons right there why i beleive it isn't the 4311 firmware that is the problem and actually the slot being powered. which also explain why the ethernet in many acer laptops don't work, wheras others with the same chipsets do. i forget which laptop (i think it was the fugitsu something) somebody that knew much more about testing was able to notice in some laptops the slots don't get powered for some reason. i say this not to be a douche, but so u stop wasting ur time trying to get a firmware from a company that won't give it, and even getting it will do nothing.

Hey man, we're just trying to get this {censored} working lol. I have an acer laptop too and my ethernet doesn't work but it's not pci-e, it's that Marvell Yukon problem that still hasn't been fixed(as far as I know). I have a laptop that's just full of bad parts and {censored} chipset designs ;)

btw--I seem to have lost the link to that excellent DCPI manager. Can somebody give me the link again?

funnypanks, the firmware is what contains power information needed by the system to power the card up. The dell wireless card works out of the box because it has a different revision number and therefore, has different power information. Yes some of the 4311 chipsets may already work in os x but these are of a different design and will work. And it is a common misconception that the mini pci-express port is the complete problem. This however, is incorrect because the firmware provides power information to the system which in the case of os x, the firmware is incorrect. So there the power is not going to get the port unless the power information is correct. And since the power information is not correct in the firmware present in the AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext, power is not going to get to the card. To demostrait this, install linux and extract firmware from the firmware file in the kext and install it. It will not work. However, if you extract the firmware from the correct file for the card, it will work. And I also do not believe that os x doesnt power certain ports in different computers as I have tested this theory already. I replaced my card with another card from another computer after the bios started and power was brought to the card.Achilleus, your ethernet I believe has been fixed. I forgot the link but I am pretty sure it has a fix, search the forums.

funnypanks, the firmware is what contains power information needed by the system to power the card up. The dell wireless card works out of the box because it has a different revision number and therefore, has different power information. Yes some of the 4311 chipsets may already work in os x but these are of a different design and will work. And it is a common misconception that the mini pci-express port is the complete problem. This however, is incorrect because the firmware provides power information to the system which in the case of os x, the firmware is incorrect. So there the power is not going to get the port unless the power information is correct. And since the power information is not correct in the firmware present in the AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext, power is not going to get to the card. To demostrait this, install linux and extract firmware from the firmware file in the kext and install it. It will not work. However, if you extract the firmware from the correct file for the card, it will work. And I also do not believe that os x doesnt power certain ports in different computers as I have tested this theory already. I replaced my card with another card from another computer after the bios started and power was brought to the card.Achilleus, your ethernet I believe has been fixed. I forgot the link but I am pretty sure it has a fix, search the forums.

well you've had a card power up in osx on ur laptop? i have a dell 1490 which uses 4312 and it doesnt work either. there's no point arguing anymore since its obvious we both have our minds made up. but people with the 3680 5570 5580 series should know that right now the only port on the minipci-e bus that works is the pcmcia port. the other 2 (wifi and ethernet) don't get power. and in linux my computer(when i put the 1490 in) it does to the internet and get's the firmware on its own, and it gets the generic4311 firmware.

Funnypanks, I had misunderstodd you before, I do see how my theory could be incorrect. By the way, I forgot to mention that in the NetworkInterfaces.plist file it mentions an IORegistry location for the wifi card. And when I opened up IORegistry explorer (or whatever its called), the location doesn't exist. I did find the place where the card is in the IORegistry and replaced the location in the NetworkInterfaces.plist file with the location that I found and it didn't work. I restarted and it still didn't work. I am thinking that maybe comparing the mini pci-express 4311 Broadcom card and the Dell Wireless 1390 card could help find a solution since the Dell wireless card has the same pci id and it works out of the box. Luckily my friend has a laptop with this card hopefully I can get him to install os x on it so that I can see what the difference is.

Funnypanks, I had misunderstodd you before, I do see how my theory could be incorrect. By the way, I forgot to mention that in the NetworkInterfaces.plist file it mentions an IORegistry location for the wifi card. And when I opened up IORegistry explorer (or whatever its called), the location doesn't exist. I did find the place where the card is in the IORegistry and replaced the location in the NetworkInterfaces.plist file with the location that I found and it didn't work. I restarted and it still didn't work. I am thinking that maybe comparing the mini pci-express 4311 Broadcom card and the Dell Wireless 1390 card could help find a solution since the Dell wireless card has the same pci id and it works out of the box. Luckily my friend has a laptop with this card hopefully I can get him to install os x on it so that I can see what the difference is.

booger sniffer which laptop do u have btw? because the ones i mentioned in the acer line dont even work with a mini pci-e from a mac mini so i am 100% it couldn't have less to do with 4311.

my brotherin with the acer 3680/5570/5580 can use the kext located in http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry570010

and u will have a fully working pmcia slot. so grab a pcmcia card with broadcom or atheros and have a siesta, so u can forget about this issue. im still waiting to find a pcmcia card locally to test my slot.

Just to throw this out....

The ACTUAL 4311 card is onyl b/g, and is therefore different than the 94311 card, that does a/b/g, and I have in my Compaq V5204NR. This may be why this is such a strong debate, for some of us have a 94311, which currently doesn't work, and others have a 4311, which can currently work with heavy kext-ing. I may be wrong, or completely off, but it's worth pondering.

note to bugger sniffer, thanks for your dedication to the cause.

Well, after browsing through apple's update page i found a bunch of things relating to the AirPort Extreme (or Express, I can't remeber) and I downloaded them along with the 10.5.1 update and will look through them for kexts relating to wireless and work with those and I will post the results. Hopefully I can get this working.