[Development]-Broadcom 4311 Fix

Achilleus

348 posts in this topic

I didn't get it to work. AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext complained about that it wasnt a bundle file and that it couldn't find its requirements. I fixed the requirements thing by switching come files with the kext file from 10.4.5 but I couldn't seem to get the bundle file error fixed. Although, I did find something interesting. When I was installing os x, I opened up the Network program and along with my ethernet being listed like it always is, there were also two entries called Item 2 and Item 3. I was thinking that one was the wireless and one was the modem. But after installation, those two entries never show up again. Weird.I just had an idea. In order to verify if power is or is not getting to the card, I could test the port with a multi meter in both windows and os x. Does anybody know which pins I would use to test this?I just found more info on the topic. When I was waiting for my install dvd to boot, I saw this in a line on the screen [s0 S3 S4 S5] (S3). These are power states of the pci port. The power states in brackets are the sleeping states that can happen and the sleeping state in parentheses is the current sleeping state. I found this document when searching on google: http://www.intel.com/technology/pciexpress...chPowerMgmt.pdf This document describes the power states and what they mean. S0- Working state, S3- Microsoft OS Standby, S4- Microsoft OS Hibernate, and S5- Microsoft OS Soft off. So it appears that the reason that this card is not working is because it is in a standby state. Now we know that there is absolutly no doubt that it is a problem with the card slot and not the card (Although this was known before, we have solid proof).Even more information (man I'm on a roll), this was collected from windows device manager:S0->D0S1->UnspecifiedS2->UnspecifiedS3->D3S4->D3S5->D3This means that since the card is always in a constant S3 sleeping state, that the card is always off. It seems that to get this card to work, we need to somehow get the sleeping state to change to S0 this way the card will power on and we will have wifi.

if someone is feeling gutsy they can delete some powermanagement stuff. i finally have my lappy working how i want, so im not feeling too adventurous, wifi is the last thing left. i hope this gets figured out before i slap down cash for a pcmcia card,(since i already "wasted" money on a 1490)

is there some sort of boot flag to disable apic, like in ubuntu there is noapic or apic=off

also how can u distinguish those states (s0 s3 etc) is for processor or pci

Maybe that stuff can be disabled through the CMOS? It would be pretty dangerous work though, I'd rather not risk doing something like that. It'd be easier and safer to make a driver that would utilize the power management. Maybe in the power management files there is a way to force the pcie bus to stay on?

I was thinking of making an application that interfaced with the AirPort driver instead of making a new one although that might not work and a driver might have to be written but then you get into the whole firmware issue. Then again, that might not work. I wouldn't risk working with the CMOS.

hey guys, that's really interesting and im willing to help you experiment (although i couldnt wait and just ordered the original apple airport card, i really hope this apple card would work).

anyway, i have 2 mac installations, identical so i could experiment on one till im sure it's working then apply the changes to the main one.

in fact, i just finished getting dual displays on my hp with go 7400 (i never faced the black screen issue like vaio laptops), but i mean that im ready to experiment what you want.

so what's ur suggestions for tests..let's get it started.

Possibly, this would give us some head start at least. By the way guys, if you want information on this stuff, its a really good idea to read the guides at http://developer.apple.com/documentationThe only problem is that the only source for that driver is for linux. So thats a problem.

Although this idea probably will not work I figure I will give it a try as if it works it will save us a ton of work. Ok my idea is I found an application in Vista that turns the wireless on and off. My thought is that I could run it n Darwine and see if it does anything again I doubt it will work but it is definitively worth a shot.

i doubt itll work, i once tried on parallels to install drivers but of course didnt work, the VM couldnt see that specific hardware, it takes all from parallels, so i guess will be the same with darwine..gd luck still

hey

good progress guys

i have a compaq c504us with the same issue you guys have, have you noticed that if you boot into windows first and restart and boot into osx the led on the wifi button on the laptop is powered up (blue color light is on). where as if you boot directly into os x the led on the wifi button is not powered up, i know someone already proved that that is not a power issue on the card (taping off certain parts of the wifi card) but i am curios why the blue led is only light when it goes into windows and then into osx , i am guessing its a problem of the pci express not being powered up. Anyway , even when it boots into osx with the blue led on wifi doesnt work, although i dont know if its any different than when booting with no blue led on

haha, well what im concerned about is how am i different than the rest on this topic, my card is not in any manner seen by the OS, but you guys are sayin like it is detected but somehow u cannot connect or access the card and that the wireless switch seems turned off... is this what ur having folks?

Yeah its detected but only detected through ioreg (which is short for IORegistry) in the command line or the XCode program IORegistry. But you can't see it in the System Profiler. I still haven't tried my wireless switch program theory yet because I haven't had the time ( I have been working on building a go cart ). I will either do it later today or tommarrow.

I figured id jump in ive got a acer 5570 (forgot exact model) and i have a intel 3945 and a brodcom 4311. unfortunately neither work, although progress has been made on the intel card, i dont care what cad i have to use i just want internet so anything i can do to help id like to do.

if someone is feeling gutsy they can delete some powermanagement stuff. i finally have my lappy working how i want, so im not feeling too adventurous, wifi is the last thing left. i hope this gets figured out before i slap down cash for a pcmcia card,(since i already "wasted" money on a 1490)

is there some sort of boot flag to disable apic, like in ubuntu there is noapic or apic=off

also how can u distinguish those states (s0 s3 etc) is for processor or pci

how do you get to work PS/2 controller (notebook?)