147 posts in this topic

Anyone tried the 10.5.2 kalyway install?

After completed install, im left with no audio or networking support. All the fore mentioned files here are non existant on this disk im seeing. The sound isnt that big of a deal because i have a usb adapter that works fine but with networking, i've tried the marvel drivers as well as the yukon2 ones. Neither have worked.

I also get panics once i hit shut down but not with restart. :D

Jae-V: why would you disable acpi?

Anyone tried the 10.5.2 kalyway install? After completed install, im left with no audio or networking support. All the fore mentioned files here are non existant on this disk im seeing. The sound isnt that big of a deal because i have a usb adapter that works fine but with networking, i've tried the marvel drivers as well as the yukon2 ones. Neither have worked. I also get panics once i hit shut down but not with restart. ;)
I also have the asus maximus, my install went fine, my audio is working, at least the 3.5 port, I havent checked stereo or optical. when you say your network isnt working, are you referring to connecting to the internet, or setting up a local network? my internet connection works fine. I just followed team scream's bios settings and the options he discusses in this thread the only problems I am having is the system profiler isnt showing the correct info on my ram and processor specs, and i have the sleep/shutdown issue.

Thought I'd add in a little tidbit on the Gigabyte GA-EX38-DS4... I have it, I love it, I've OC'd a Q9300 (2.5 stock) to 3.0, everything is pretty stable and works except audio input (so far), and it's smokin' fast - geekbench @ 6583. Did the install with Leo4AllV3, there should be a complete list of my setup in my sig.

-K

ASUS MAXIMUS x38 ON KALYWAY 10.5.2 QUICK GUIDE

What you will need/what i used:

SATA DVD Drive

Install disk of course

IDE/SATA Hard drive...i'd recommend sata.

First adjust your bios settings:

SATA Configuration: to AHCI from IDE

Cpu Configuration: disable intel speedstep

Then simply enable ACPI in the bios, i forget exactly where it is.

*not sure which of these is absolutely necessary, just what i used*

Boot off the disk, partition your drive GUID/Journalized.

Customize your install and these are the options i selected.

Chose to ignore the first two check boxes to speed up the install and went vanilla with the kernel:

0305081541km0.jpg

Selected proper video drivers for my 8800 of course *your options may vary*:

0305081542vo0.jpg

For audio, i left what was selected, selected. I dont know which one out of this 3 it was but hey it works. Output only:

0305081543yw4.jpg

Network adapter i selected the marvel yukon and my necessary wireless options that i needed, optional for you on wireless:

0305081544hv2.jpg

Now install, and restart and your all set! No panics so far and system is snappy will post geekbench later. Good luck, i highly recommend this board. And if you didnt see an option in the pics, that means i didnt select to install it :o

Geekbench was 5388, i think i can get it better if i send my processor to 3ghz...

• 3 weeks later...

ASUS MAXIMUS x38 ON KALYWAY 10.5.2 QUICK GUIDE

What you will need/what i used:

SATA DVD Drive

Install disk of course

IDE/SATA Hard drive...i'd recommend sata.

First adjust your bios settings:

SATA Configuration: to AHCI from IDE

Cpu Configuration: disable intel speedstep

Then simply enable ACPI in the bios, i forget exactly where it is.

*not sure which of these is absolutely necessary, just what i used*

Boot off the disk, partition your drive GUID/Journalized.

Customize your install and these are the options i selected.

Chose to ignore the first two check boxes to speed up the install and went vanilla with the kernel:

0305081541km0.jpg

Selected proper video drivers for my 8800 of course *your options may vary*:

0305081542vo0.jpg

For audio, i left what was selected, selected. I dont know which one out of this 3 it was but hey it works. Output only:

0305081543yw4.jpg

Network adapter i selected the marvel yukon and my necessary wireless options that i needed, optional for you on wireless:

0305081544hv2.jpg

Now install, and restart and your all set! No panics so far and system is snappy will post geekbench later. Good luck, i highly recommend this board. And if you didnt see an option in the pics, that means i didnt select to install it :D

Geekbench was 5388, i think i can get it better if i send my processor to 3ghz...

Thank you for this post!!! I've been looking for a guide for the maxumus forever.

Can you shed some light on multibooting with an already existing Vista install?

anybody have any luck with getting all the audio in/out working on the asus maximus?

Get the 1988b Rev 4 installer from here. My sound is working perfectly on the Asus P5E, which I'm pretty sure has the same sound card (or similiar) sound card.

Anyone try the Abit x38 board?

Yes, I have it working. The only "problem" that I've had is that drives won't be detected on the IDE controlder (jMicron) or on the e-sata ports (again jMicron), UNLESS that particular controller is set to IDE mode. Other than that, works fantastic!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I just set-up my new computer on X38. The main OS is Windows 2k3.

01 Intel DX38BT (BIOS rev. 1782)

02 Intel Q9450

03 OCZ ReaperX 1333MHz

04 nVidia 8600GT by MSI 512MB

05 Adaptec SCSI Controllers 29320LPE & 2940AU

06 2x SCSI disks Fujitsu 74GB (for Windows)

07 SATA disk WD Raptor 74GB (for Mac)

08 IDE DVD-RWs Plextor 750A & Pioneer-Buffalo DVR-111L

09 USB ext. DVD-RW Plextor 608CU (should work under Mac)

10 SCSI CD-RW Yamaha CRW-F1 (should work under Mac)

11 Soundcard ESI Julia (should work under Mac)

Firewire, Infrared and on-board sound are disabled.

I'm new to Hackintosh and Mac OSX, but have good experience on FreeBSD.

Please, could you explain what exactly hackintosh image should I download by torrents or Usenet.

Is Kalyway 10.5.2 all right for beginning?

What drivers/kexts I need for on-board LAN?

BTW My SATA disk is bootable for Windows 2003 (C:\).

• 2 weeks later...
Did you use kaly? Did you check time machine fix during install =)

How did you get audio on the maximus formul =) need help, I can reinstall kalyway, which option is it?

I recommend using the driver done by Taruga at http://wiki.taruga.net, however, the website appears to be down at the moment. If you just need audio out, you can use the Azalia 1988b for sound.

Edit: Since Taruga's site is down, I've attached the Taruga_AD1988b_rev4_Installer.zip that I recommend using. It should enable most functionality except for the front ports.

Taruga_AD1988b_rev4_Installer.zip

• 4 weeks later...
Pretty much everything on my Maximus Formula works. I went with it over X48, because from my research, the X48 doesn't appear to offer all that much over the chipset. Asus, Gigabyte, Abit, etc have already updated their BIOS with support for 1600MHz Bus processors which seemed to be the big selling point for X48.

I have Kalyway installed. As long as I have Speedstep turned off in the BIOS, everything seems to be good.

I used the Azalia AD1988B for sound.

Marvell chipset is used on this board, and I just had to modify the Yukon2 kext to use the Device/Vendor ID for the 88E8056 chip. It only sees one port, the bottom one on the back of the board. Just had to swap the cable to get my network working.

I have 5 SATA drives installed, one 320GB on the 5th SATA port dedicated to Leopard. 6th SATA port is a Lite-On 20X SATA burner. Using EFI/GUID.

Edit: Just reinstalled and found out I never needed to edit the networking kext files. They appear to work out of the box to with Kalyway. Prior to figuring out the port selection problem, I had been editing kext files. So ignore my Yukon2 part of this post :)

How do you get update in Maximus Formula without crash system?

Thanks!

So you were able to use boot132! I want that too ^_^ Can you give me some pointers? I don't really understand that method yet, It hangs on the desctop screen with a beachball spinning to infinity ;) Had to change the IDE settings to AHCI to get the boot to desktop working for boot132. Stopped trying after the beachbal and reverted to Kalyway 10.5.2.

Also I don't understand the following. If I would be able to use boot132 and patch my videocard, then when I do the update it would not work anymore because that removes patches not?

Currently on 10.5.5 with update from mysticus. Unable to go to sleep mode or shutdown. Macpro SMbios. Vanilla resolver didn't work.

See signature for details.