147 posts in this topic

hi there members

back from holidays,i have just got my asus p5e mb ,i removed the hdd [raptor dr]from the asrock osx machine and placed it in the new x38 asus machine restarted loaded the audio patch bingo all working 100% xbench was 205,waiting on the highpoint sata raid card will try raiding the 4 tb wd drives.

regards

dongiorgio1959

Marcaen,

Just wanted to post an update and a thank you! Got my Maximus Formula yesterday. Kalyway installed beautifully in AHCI mode with GPT/EFI/Vanilla, everything! Have Leo on one disk (SATA), Vista x64 on another (SATA), and Ubuntu on an IDE. Now to figure out a tri-boot method other than the BIOS.

Thanks again for helping with my questions.

:(

-Shrapnel

Was able to get into Leopard on my Asus Maximus, but still have a few issues I'm hoping someone can help with:

1. Doesn't seem to want to boot directly off my hard drive (EFI/MBR), I can only get into Leopard if I leave my DVD drive as the first in the boot sequence and the hard drive second? I didn't try to setup any sort of dual boot yet - was relying on the BIOS.
  2. My finder windows have a strange orange background? Think I have something setup wrong, other than simply a color preference.
  3. The only display resolution option I have is 1024 x 768? I'm running with a XFX 8800GTS, and did not choose any video drivers when 'customizing' my install.
  4. When I select shutdown, the menus/icons disappear, but I'm left with the screen background, where seems to hang forever.

On the plus side, audio and network connectivity work fine.

Any help would be appreciated, I'm hoping they're nothing more than newbie issues.

Thanks!

Was able to get into Leopard on my Asus Maximus, but still have a few issues I'm hoping someone can help with:
  1. Doesn't seem to want to boot directly off my hard drive (EFI/MBR), I can only get into Leopard if I leave my DVD drive as the first in the boot sequence and the hard drive second? I didn't try to setup any sort of dual boot yet - was relying on the BIOS.
  2. My finder windows have a strange orange background? Think I have something setup wrong, other than simply a color preference.
  3. The only display resolution option I have is 1024 x 768? I'm running with a XFX 8800GTS, and did not choose any video drivers when 'customizing' my install.
  4. When I select shutdown, the menus/icons disappear, but I'm left with the screen background, where seems to hang forever.

Any help would be appreciated, I'm hoping they're nothing more than newbie issues.

Thanks!

1 - I'm assuming you tried to change the boot order in your BIOS to have the HDD that you installed 10.5 on to be the 1st boot device? If yes, there are some other BIOS settings you need to change, can't remember which exactly - ACPI? CPU ID? EIST? - need some help here . . .

2 - Orange background in Finder windows in normal for Kalyway, you can change it under Finder's preferences.

3 - You need to download the 10.5.2 kexts from somewhere on this site & I thinks you need to edit those kexts too - please search. From what I've seen, people here have been able to get full res. with their 8800's along with QE/CI.

4 - Shutdown problem? I have this sporadically too - not sure if there is a fix besides the Sleep Kernel. My system shuts down about 50% of the time from the "Shutdown" Menu, otherwise I have to hold the power button on my case for about 4 seconds (not much of a biggie).

Sorry, not much help today, but this should get you started.

4 -

Thanks!

Which 8800GTS card do you have? How much RAM will tell me which revision. If its 320MB or 640MB you can use the standard NVinject drivers. Found here: http://nvinject.free.fr/downloads.php If you have an 8800GTS card with 256MB or 512MB, you will need to use the 10.5.2 method found in another thread: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=83931

Which 8800GTS card do you have? How much RAM will tell me which revision. If its 320MB or 640MB you can use the standard NVinject drivers. Found here: http://nvinject.free.fr/downloads.php If you have an 8800GTS card with 256MB or 512MB, you will need to use the 10.5.2 method found in another thread: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=83931

Looks like my boot problem was due to spaces in the partition volume name, ugh. Anyway, I'm writing this from Safari on Leopard. Thanks everyone!

Now I'm off to figure out how to increase my resolution on my 8800GT 512MB video card....

I'm also running the Maximus Formula with an 8600GT 256/NVInject drivers. Everything seems to work fine (video, sound, network) but the sleep function is a little finnicky... it seems that the hardware will go into sleep mode, with the hard drives, etc powering down, but it will not wake from sleep when I press a mouse button or a keyboard key. I'm wondering if there are certain BIOS settings I may need to change in order to get sleep to work. Has anyone else been working on this issue as well? Anyone know of a fix?

I'm also running the Maximus Formula with an 8600GT 256/NVInject drivers. Everything seems to work fine (video, sound, network) but the sleep function is a little finnicky... it seems that the hardware will go into sleep mode, with the hard drives, etc powering down, but it will not wake from sleep when I press a mouse button or a keyboard key. I'm wondering if there are certain BIOS settings I may need to change in order to get sleep to work. Has anyone else been working on this issue as well? Anyone know of a fix?

It might have to do with the 8x00 card. Been keeping up with a few threads, and it sounds like there's a mixed result when applying latest patch. However, the future of the final 10.5.2 build is hopefuly.

The P5Es' on the other hand have sleep function working supposedly. I have yet to try mine.

I did, went well. Had to use the netkas method. After reboot, replaced my ACPI, Azalia, and SMBios kexts. Then did the graphics update, followed by the 512MB card configuration option only (unchecked 10.5.2 beta drivers) from NVInstaller3.1

Great detailed response! ;) Nice job, and thanks for sharing with all of us.

You performed Graphics update via which patch/installer?

Did the Apple post 10.5.2 Graphics update. Then ran the NVInstaller3.1, but only chose the 512MB option and unchecked the top two options (drivers and 256MB default). I think the 512MB (or whatever size you choose) only adds more device ID's for OS X to recognize as supportable hardware by Apple's drivers. This way I am able to fully utilize my 8800 GTS (G92) while using true Apple released drivers. :P

BTW - My board is the ASUS Maximus Formula w/X38 chipset. EVGA video card.

Anyone give 10.5.2 a try on their x38 yet? If so, what approach did you use?

Used netkas simple instructions and all worked fine.

Used Software Update after grab the Graphics Update and all still working 100% using gfx EFI string.

(Only AppleIntelCPU kext removed and AppleSMBIOS replaced.)

Anyone give 10.5.2 a try on their x38 yet? If so, what approach did you use?

Total noob here. I used Kalyway 10.5.1 Intel SSE2 SSE3 without vanilla (P4 waiting for Yorkfield), without SSE2 and without any graphic driver. I used the NVInstallervV.32 after my initial install to get my card working.

I then used Kalyway's 10.5.2 updater and the 10.5.2 kernel update (again non vanilla).

The update went smoothly with the exception that the Realtek ethernet quit working but the Marvell Yukon connection showed up and it works. Also noticed my Firewire connection showed up.

Still working on the audio. I haven't even looked into the wireless. The USB, keyboard and mouse are working. The OS is very stable except at shut down I get a kernel panic. I think it may be related to some bios setting or maybe the graphic driver I installed. Overall it's working much better than I expected.

I'm just getting started with this and these forums are an awesome resource. The work everyone has done is just unbelievable.

Updated from post above: Did a fresh reinstall with the exception of using the AD1988b audio driver provided on the Kalyway disc and then installed the Kalyway 10.5.2 update and the updated 10.5.2 kernel. After that I installed the latest NVInstallerV.33 graphic driver.

Both ethernet connections are now working, audio is working, no kernel panics and the graphic card is properly recognized. I still haven't tried the wireless or any of the other audio connections. The sleep function doesn't wake up. Possibly related to the non-vanilla kernel?

I can add my confirmation that the ASUS P5E Workstation Professional (x38) succesfully "worked out of the box" (almost), all I need was ALC888 Audio patch, and 8x00 installer. Details and more info can be found in this dedicated thread: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=80885

I have yet to try sleep however, I will report back.

I've installed Kalyway 10.5.1 MBR/Vanilla on Maximus Formula/q6600 8gb ram with everything working nicely out of the box. I do get random occasional kernel panics, which are related either to my hard drives waking or my RME Fireface. Since there are no crash logs, I can't find out what's up.

I updated to 10.5.2 with Kalyway instructions, everything is the same. Basically it works perfectly with the afforementioned occasional kernel panics. Enabling/Disabling speed stepping made no difference at all.

*I am running in Sata mode, not AHCI. Does this make a difference? My drives show up nicely as internal drives, with the silver icons and everything. When I boot in AHCI mode, I get those ugly gold icons (external drive icons, it think?), which kind of scared me so I immediately rebooted. Perhaps this is the way it's supposed to work? Everyone says use AHCI mode.

*Does anyone know a way I can troubleshoot the kernel panics if there is no kernal panic log in /library/logs ??

I've installed Kalyway 10.5.1 MBR/Vanilla on Maximus Formula/q6600 8gb ram with everything working nicely out of the box. I do get random occasional kernel panics, which are related either to my hard drives waking or my RME Fireface. Since there are no crash logs, I can't find out what's up.

I updated to 10.5.2 with Kalyway instructions, everything is the same. Basically it works perfectly with the afforementioned occasional kernel panics. Enabling/Disabling speed stepping made no difference at all.

*I am running in Sata mode, not AHCI. Does this make a difference? My drives show up nicely as internal drives, with the silver icons and everything. When I boot in AHCI mode, I get those ugly gold icons (external drive icons, it think?), which kind of scared me so I immediately rebooted. Perhaps this is the way it's supposed to work? Everyone says use AHCI mode.

*Does anyone know a way I can troubleshoot the kernel panics if there is no kernal panic log in /library/logs ??

I've never tried SATA mode, so I have no recommendation. However, I do recommend turning off "turn off hard drives" in the power options. When I did this, OS X acts much better.

I've never tried SATA mode, so I have no recommendation. However, I do recommend turning off "turn off hard drives" in the power options. When I did this, OS X acts much better.

I just tried AHCI again and it was a mess. It got stuck at the white screen with the apple and spinny thing. So I rebooted into Vista to make sure nothing died and it would not boot into Vista without giving me guff. Had to use "last known good" to boot it.

I also unchecked "turn off hard drives" in the osx prefs, but I still got the kernel panic. It seems to do it when I'm accessing a drive. Not every time, but about 15-30 minutes in. I'll run some more tests to rule out my audio interface.

Has anyone else here really *pushed* their Maximus or p5e? Like with final cut or Logic with a couple browser windows open?

---------

I just tried AHCI again and it was a mess. It got stuck at the white screen with the apple and spinny thing. So I rebooted into Vista to make sure nothing died and it would not boot into Vista without giving me guff. Had to use "last known good" to boot it.

I also unchecked "turn off hard drives" in the osx prefs, but I still got the kernel panic. It seems to do it when I'm accessing a drive. Not every time, but about 15-30 minutes in. I'll run some more tests to rule out my audio interface.

Has anyone else here really *pushed* their Maximus or p5e? Like with final cut or Logic with a couple browser windows open?

Which "turn off hard drives" in System Preference are you referring to specifically? [reply with something like this: System Preferences > Energy Saver....or whatever you chose)

Which Kalyway 10.5.2 Instructions? (Link if necessary)

AHCI is basically:

"AHCI is just an option for how sata drives are communicated. Reason for changing it is that OSX has more support for AHCI then it does for Enhanced IDE and will reduce the amount of disk write errors you have. Plus this will also enable your HD sleep." - L EphIno

HARD DRIVE FIX:

To fix your hard drive appearance back to default (silver, w/ AHCI on): HARD DRIVE FIX KEXT

GEEKBENCH SCORE:

You have some great, comparable system specs, What is your geekbench score?