Asus Maximus Formula based Madhouse

29 posts in this topic

Built a system based on the Asus Maximus Formula motherboard, an Intel QX9650 Extreme Quad Processor, Asus 8800 GTX (768MB) video card and Asus SATA DVD drive.

4 GB (2x2 GB) PC8500 RAM, and 4 hard drives.

The boot drive and the XP drive are Western Digital Raptor-X (150GB) units.

The CPU, GPU, North Bridge and South Bridge are water cooled.

All of this in an Antec P-180B system chassis with a PC P&C Silencer 750W power supply.

Current Overclocked speed is 4.05 GHz which is 450 x 9 with the memory running at 1:1 FSB ratio (400Mhz).

Great geekbench scores and this system is fast and stable running efi-V8 and GUID on Kalyway 10.5.1 with the 10.5.2 Apple Update and Apple Graphics update, netkas AppleSMBIOS.kext and nvInject 0.2.1 ;)

maximus.jpg

Can you tell me your install method and if you had to do anything else to get it working? I have a similar system, but can't get it to boot after the install. Thanks

Asus Maximus Formula

Q6600

4x1GB Transcend DDR2-1200

2x500GB Seagate SATA HD

ATI Radeon 3870

Lite-On SATA DVD Burner

Can you tell me your install method and if you had to do anything else to get it working? I have a similar system, but can't get it to boot after the install. Thanks

Asus Maximus Formula

Q6600

4x1GB Transcend DDR2-1200

2x500GB Seagate SATA HD

ATI Radeon 3870

Lite-On SATA DVD Burner

Sure,

All I did was boot using the Kalyway 10.5.1 dvd,

Then before installing anything I opened up disk utility and formatted the drive using GUID partition scheme and ONE partition.

After closing disk utility, I chose "customize" from the installation screen when it presented itself.

I checked both check boxes next to the Vanilla Kernel section, I selected nvInject desktop, and the Azalia checkbox for Audio.

Then I made sure that the bootloader segment was checked GUID and not MBR.

That was it, thats all I had to do.

Mine booted fine the first time after installation and everything worked out of the box.

I then proceeded to update nvInject and AppleSMBIOS.kexts and then updated to 10.5.2, then the graphics update and that was it.

It is wise to try and install Leopard with just one hard drive installed in the machine sometimes, that way you eliminate boot order conflicts and such.

It also makes it a lot easier to be certain that your new Leopard install is the only drive the system is looking at so you dont have to do the F8 at startup thing.

Did you install WIndows on the system first to make sure that all of your hardware works and will pass a Prime95 test?

that is the first thing I do now before trying to install Leopard, it is too hard chasing down problems otherwise.

I would say use one of your drives and install XP to it to get it all squared away, then once you have done that, pull the XP drive out and use your 2nd hard drive to install Leopard.

Also, I have tried other distros and Kalyway is by far the easiest for me, everything always works when I use Kalyway.

Thanks a lot, I'll give that a shot. I'm typing from the computer in windows right now, but I haven't tried disconnecting my windows drive. When I boot into the kalyway dvd it looks like I'm missing a lot of options. I don't get the option to choose which bootloader or kernel to install. Other things are missing too. I'll boot into that now and let you know what options I do have.

By the way, I have installed leo successfully before from the flat image in windows, but I would rather have the kaly version.

Did you have to change bios settings at all? I restored mine to default and I can't boot off the DVD in IDE mode, but ACHI works. Does it really matter, as long as I can boot and install? I was also wondering what your bios version is. Thanks again!

Ok, it boots into the installer when I've got it set to AHCI. If I leave it on IDE I get a "still waiting for root device" error repeatedly when I boot. The problem is that after I click customize installation I only have 4 items in the list. They are:

Essential System Software (checked by default and I can't uncheck it)

Additional Fonts

Language Translations

X11

Those are my only options. I'm, wondering if maybe I have a bad DVD, but how do I check? I don't want to waste time downloading a new one if its just me overlooking something.

Ok, it boots into the installer when I've got it set to AHCI. If I leave it on IDE I get a "still waiting for root device" error repeatedly when I boot. The problem is that after I click customize installation I only have 4 items in the list. They are:

Essential System Software (checked by default and I can't uncheck it)

Additional Fonts

Language Translations

X11

Those are my only options. I'm, wondering if maybe I have a bad DVD, but how do I check? I don't want to waste time downloading a new one if its just me overlooking something.

Ahhhhh that explains a lot of what you are seeing I think.

Firstly, I read THIS POST When when I was fist getting ready for my X-38 build, there are a few guys in that thread that have been really helpful to me. Mainly I think your 2 problems are (1) you need a SATA DVD drive and (2) it sounds like your Kalyway DVD is bad?

When you boot into your Kalyway DVD do you see the hip hop dancer dude in black and white?

Another thing, check to make sure these things are done in BIOS:

Enable ACPI 2.0 in the BIOS

Turn off Speedstep in the BIOS

My BIOS version is 1004 (I upgraded from 907)

I did make sure that I had those things done in BIOS (thanks Marcean) and my install went fine, it does however take a reaaaaaaaly long time to get to the install screen, it takes forever to get to the Apple Logo with the spinning wheel, and it takes a while to get from the Apple logo/spining wheel to the main installer screen so dont worry about that.

I dont use AHCI, for some reason it does not work well with my XP install so I avoid it and have no problems at all, my drives show up normally and everything works fine as far as drives are concerned.

Let me know how you get along.

I would love to help you get your system ironed out bro.

Nope, no hip hop guy, heh. I guess I'll start downloading a new disc. Is there any way to tell if I am downloading the correct one? I do have a SATA dvd drive, so hopefully this will all work out now. I'll upgrade my bios and change those settings too. Thanks again for helping me out!

Nope, no hip hop guy, heh. I guess I'll start downloading a new disc. Is there any way to tell if I am downloading the correct one? I do have a SATA dvd drive, so hopefully this will all work out now. I'll upgrade my bios and change those settings too. Thanks again for helping me out!

Not sure if there is a version out there with the checksum file that you can verify if it is the correct version.

I got lucky when I found mine, it was right the first time which was cool.

Newsgroups FTW.

I also have a Asus Maximus Formula. I have sata dvd drive (asus) my question is, can I install on a IDE Hard drive?

I'm using Kalyway 10.5.1 and it boots into install screen (black and white hip hop dancer) and i have reformat the drive many time but i don't see the hard drive when you choose where to install the OSX. Do I need a stat hard drive? or is a BISO problem or should i get a copy of kalyway 10.5.2

Good News! Finally got it working. I'm typing to you from it right now. Vanilla, guid, everything seems to work great.

Just one problem. I've been trying to patch the ps2 kext so I can use my keyboard. I've been searching around, but everything I try doesn't work. Did you happen to do the same thing. If you can share the method with me, I'd appreciate it.

Once again, thanks a lot for all your help! It would have taken me forever to figure it out myself with trial and error.

romancluber: I never tried installing on a IDE drive, but from my research it rarely seems to work. I think I heard somewhere that if you change your BIOS from SATA to AHCI you might have better luck. Hope it works out for you too man.

I have the same mobo, qx9650, geforce 8800gtx

everything is running default with the changes to ACPI as noted above. does acpi below 2.0 need to be disabled?

I have to hit a key to get past that error message and boot, one there I get the apple logo and the loading circle below it. Then I hear the hard drive power down after a few seconds and nothing ever happens after that. How long should it take?

Set to AHCI, WD Raptors only one plugged in for the installation. USB KB and Mouse.

Sata DVD drive, sony type

Got the DVD image off Newsgroups with Par's so i know it's a good dvd.

Any tips?

Oddly, turning off APCI entirely in both bios entries solved my problem, it booted and installed fine via vanilla. When I have time to finish up the rest I will post a howto somewhere. Although the process itself is a cake walk, once I get into customizing the kernel etc I should have more useful info.

Long time Gentoo/BSD user, so maybe I can bring something new to the scene ;)

Built a system based on the Asus Maximus Formula motherboard, an Intel QX9650 Extreme Quad Processor, Asus 8800 GTX (768MB) video card and Asus SATA DVD drive.

All of this in an Antec P-180B system chassis with a PC P&C Silencer 750W power supply.

Current Overclocked speed is 4.05 GHz which is 450 x 9 with the memory running at 1:1 FSB ratio (400Mhz).

Great geekbench scores and this system is fast and stable running efi-V8 and GUID on Kalyway 10.5.1 with the 10.5.2 Apple Update and Apple Graphics update, netkas AppleSMBIOS.kext and nvInject 0.2.1 ;)

maximus.jpg

Got my working fine ... THANKS TEAM SCREAM with a little issue regarding the sound. I have the SupremeFX card so I wanted to see if I can make the sound work. The install 10.5.1 have two options with regard to the sound, both Azalia -- so my question is -- which one should we choose and is there a way to make the Optical Out work?

Got my working fine ... THANKS TEAM SCREAM with a little issue regarding the sound. I have the SupremeFX card so I wanted to see if I can make the sound work. The install 10.5.1 have two options with regard to the sound, both Azalia -- so my question is -- which one should we choose and is there a way to make the Optical Out work?

I think it is called the Azalia AD1988B, my mobo also has the supreme fx sound daughter card as well and mine is working, however I have not tried the optical out yet.

I have a maximus formula getting shipped to me, and I am going to build my first hackintosh. This question is for team scream or anyone else qualified to answer: when you say you only have to Enable ACPI 2.0 in the BIOS, Turn off Speedstep in the BIOS, and update BIOS to 1004, is that the ONLY preliminary settings I should worry about prior to installing kalyway? I dont mean to sound dense or anything, I just don't know if you are assuming there are some other general steps/settings that most people who knew what they were doing would already know.

I have a maximus formula getting shipped to me, and I am going to build my first hackintosh. This question is for team scream or anyone else qualified to answer: when you say you only have to Enable ACPI 2.0 in the BIOS, Turn off Speedstep in the BIOS, and update BIOS to 1004, is that the ONLY preliminary settings I should worry about prior to installing kalyway? I dont mean to sound dense or anything, I just don't know if you are assuming there are some other general steps/settings that most people who knew what they were doing would already know.

Nope, you got it, I am saying that as far as BIOS is concerned what I have listed is all you *need* to do, I am overclocked so I obviously changed quite a few things but dont you worry about that yet.

Get a good stable windows install first on a seperate hard drive,,make sure the system works and is stable under windows, then install Kalyway on a different drive.

That way you know for certain that the components all play together nicely before you try to chase down issues under Hackintosh, which is much harder to do if you dont know what you are looking for.

• 2 weeks later...

Am planning my hackintosh build using the asus maximus formula mb as well with a 9450 chip. From what folks have said in this thread and others, everything works inc sound and networking, right?

Any issues at all?

thx

• 2 weeks later...
Nope, you got it, I am saying that as far as BIOS is concerned what I have listed is all you *need* to do, I am overclocked so I obviously changed quite a few things but dont you worry about that yet.

Get a good stable windows install first on a seperate hard drive,,make sure the system works and is stable under windows, then install Kalyway on a different drive.

That way you know for certain that the components all play together nicely before you try to chase down issues under Hackintosh, which is much harder to do if you dont know what you are looking for.

Team Scream, I have the same mobo, slightly different other stuff, but the mobo is the biggie. My question is, I have Vista 32 SP1 installed on one HD, and plan on installing kalyway 10.5.2 or 10.5.1 (feel free to recomend one or the other) on the first partition of another harddrive, and unplugging my windows HD during all this just to be safe.

my question is, assuming I get leopard working well, how do i set up a good multiboot between vista and leopard? Have you been able to do this? Help a brother out please :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all !!!

Guys i have a problem with my PC ? i guess

I installed Kalyway 10.5.2 with all the optins in BIOS like SATA-AHCI, JMicron SATA/PATA DISABLED, etc. SO the installation is Ok but when it prompts to REBOOT i have the Apple logo on the screen and the turning cursor, nothing else happened after 30min. waiting. Please Help Me !

My system SPECS:

MoBo - ASUS Maximus BIOS ver. 1102 but i`ll update it right now to last 1201 ( maybe it will help ????)

CPU - Intel Quad Core Q6600

Memory - DDR 2 800Mhz 8Gb 4x2

Audio - Creative XFi PCIe 1x

Video - ATI Radeon 3870x2 X2 Crossfire

HDD - 1Tb SEAGATE - VISTA 64bit WORKS SUPER COOLLL

- 500Gb SEAGATE - It will contain OSX

DVD -RW - SATA LG

Power Supply - ANTEC 850W

PS. When i`m in OS X Loading screen it appears like i don`t have the keyboard active ( i have an G15 Logitech with light) because my keys are not lighted !

Thank you guys and i apreciate your help.

Sincerely Radeon !!! :)

My machine cost about 1/4 what that did:

4ab71262.png

:)

Team Scream, I have the same mobo, slightly different other stuff, but the mobo is the biggie. My question is, I have Vista 32 SP1 installed on one HD, and plan on installing kalyway 10.5.2 or 10.5.1 (feel free to recomend one or the other) on the first partition of another harddrive, and unplugging my windows HD during all this just to be safe.

my question is, assuming I get leopard working well, how do i set up a good multiboot between vista and leopard? Have you been able to do this? Help a brother out please -_-

You know, I need to apologize for not being in here sooner, I have been so busy at work and with my house project that I have no time to surf...I am sorry.

Anyway, to answer your questions I have been dual booting since I built this system using the F8 key at post.

That allows me to select the drive with whatever OS I want to boot into.

I have NOT tried dual booting to different OS's on seperate partitions of the same drive.

I know there are people who do it successfully but I have never tried it.

My Maximus system is broken right now, and I think that my over clock broke the OS somehow so for now I am running Vista SP1 and going to try to get back to a stable over clock before I install 10.5.2 again.

It really started to get frustrating for me with this board, my boot times were excessive, sometimes it would take 3 or 4 minutes to get to the desktop in 10.5.2 and then finally it just quit booting into 10.5.2 so I decided to start from scratch.

Now even with Vista and stock speeds the system is still slow to boot to the desktop which tells me that there are underlying problems either with the board or something else which I am trying to chase down now.

Anyway, congrats to everyone else who is happy with the maximus. I hope to get back to OSX on this board asap.

• 1 month later...

maximus.jpg

hi

iam searching for audio and network kext for my macosx 10.5.2 iATKOS2.0 if you can help me ?

• 3 months later...

I have a maximus formula too and the Kalyway 10.5.2 method is very obsolete. I do recommend to use iDeneb 1.3 10.5.5, it has all the drivers that this board needs.

I used a sata dvd for installation and worked fine.

I used carbon copy to duplicate the install to disc to an ide hard disk and no problem at all.

I hope my idea will help all to have a correct Mac Os installed on their machines