Official Dell Inspiron 1501 Guide

aross6

227 posts in this topic

Thanks to the forum I have installed Leo4All v2 on my inspiron 1501 .Booted from dvd it recog my sata controller and installed normally .I have everything working except sound where stuttering is there .I have used the Sigmatel9200 found in the guide with the instructions. I eve tried others ,I might be doing something wrong or has someonebeen able to install with a diff one . if someone could help me here .

dose anyone have a fairly practical Leopard 1501 dell?

im lookin to fine tune my start options to boot quicker

and be a little more stable once in osx.

so far i can get to my desktop my going thru -s

and exiting out of there , and after a few stalls (takes about 10mins)

and me either hitting enter of moving the mouse it eventualy loads to the desktop

so far ive patched my sound (working but glichy)

setup the calisto kexts

and installed the powermanagment but thats not workin

(it worked in prior installs so im a little baffled by this)

im turning to the boad to bail me out here ;-)

btw got the dual boot with vista working smoothly

• 2 weeks later...
thanks alot robertandri

i will try to compare this configuration with callisto and hopely i will make it work B)

i could use some help thought :-s

You welcome but the fact is my laptop is still at dell service and do not have the way to test anything right now ...hope this week to come form the service and resolve the problem if not I'l sale'it and buy another one this video card is not for osx86 .... regards

To everyone having glitches with audio, I've tried using idlehalt=0 on the startup options and it solves the problem.

fn=2 seems to do the trick to, I think they do the same.

I think it has something to do with the processor being idle and sound processing.

I'm trying to get 16:9 resolution on mi Inspiron 1521 (AMD, ATI Radeon x1270, Sigmatel 9205), so if anyone can help me with that....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Better try not to install any of the translation packs. For me, the Chinese, Japanese and French translation packs seemed to make the system unstable and prevented the wireless and DVD from working properly. Eventually, they failed me in upgrading to 10.4.10. According to the guide, after installing MacOSXUpd10.4.10AMD.mpkg, I need to reboot with the 10.4.9 DVD and select AppleACPIPlatform.kext "only" to patch the file. Here was the problem: I couldn't select the one file only. Those translation packs could not be removed, resulting a failure in the following process.

• 3 weeks later...

@robertandri

@Claw

Any luck? My device ID for my ATI is also 5975 (Vostro 1000) and I am having the same issue you guys are having with Callisto B3.

I can live without QE but I really, really would appreciate native resolution 1024x768 looks horrible on this screen.

Does anyone know of anyone working on QE for this card? I would like to help - I am a experienced Mac OS X C++ programmer but I don't even know where to start...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the late replay ...but the vido testing was a pain and i sopt the proces ... I needet to restart after evry random configuration start with no result restart to safe mode and change the configuration and start agein and so on so on ... the solution used calisto with a program that changes the geometry and the refresh settings of the driver ...but with linux is easy after evry try i use contr+alt+backspace and see the results but with osx rebooting evrytime andrebooting agein ...so giveup and buy another laptop... i sugest you try dell inspiron 1525 is olmost perfect .... i have a lenovo now

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
I need some help with installing.

Im stuck after Darwin Boot, there is a screenshot in the attachment!!

ERRORS: Segmentation fault and cylinder unallocated

can some help me please??

What hardware configuration you used in VMWare Workstation?

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone...

This week i've been trying to install and boot up OS X Leopard on my Dell Inspiron 1501 Laptop. The result: 50% success. Well the problem would be (i think) with the kext modules, because the OS installs fine, but when i try to boot it, it keeps reebooting, i tried many boot options, -v -f -x -legacy -cpus=1, -s, but the problem persist :D I'm at the point to give the whole thing up and keep on using Windows and Linux... I installed the the newest iATKOS v7 release. My specs are the following:

- proc: AMD Turion x2 64 TL-56 1.8 GHz

- 2 Gb DDR-2 dual-channell

- HDD Fujitsu-Myh 120 GB SATA

- Dell Wireless 1390 mini-card

- Ethernet: Broadcom 440x

- video: ATI Radeon Xpress 1150

- audio Sigmatel Stac 92xx

I'd be very happy if some of you (who has already succeded in installing it) could provide a step-by-step installation guide onhow to install it on Dell Inspiron 1501 laptops. In the setup i tried to select just the right drivers for my latop, leaving the rest unchecked, but the problem still exist. I've already reinstalled the sytem several times, trying different driver-combinations but notjing has changed.

I'm open to try other releases as well, i know there are a few out there not only iATKOS, but i don't know which one fits best on my laptop. Thanks in advance, hope you could help. I've been searching on google, yet i haven't found any usable information... Many of us have this Dell laptop, and we'd like to install Hackintosh on it!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I have problem after castello installation, reboot, new resolutions are active in control panel, but when i click on 1280x800px image freezes in strange patterns, and just deleting castelloHAL and castello kext in single user mode repair the problem. Can you please help me?

• 2 months later...

Thanks so much for the guide! I have a question. My dvd drive doesn't work. You said the sony works out of the box, but mine doesn't. Whenever I put in a disc it doesn't recognize it by the OS. I used iDeneb v1.3. Running 10.5.6. Thanks in advance!

• 5 months later...

My GF just gave me her old 1501, with a built in sempron. I used a combination of your guide and Easy Install Guide For A Dell Inspiron 1501, Easy Install Guide For A Dell Inspiron 1501 (just as i said :( to install Leo4all into a VM. The leo4all dvd would not boot because of the sata problem.

My only question is now is, how do i get it to boot natively instead of in a VM when i turn the pc on? Or even how do i get a choice between windows and osx86. At the moment i just get windows boot up every time.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

this is my first post on this forum.

Really interesting, and lot of things to read....probably too much.

I have an Inspiron 1501 and managed to install Ideneb 1.5.8 (i saw this on a forum, but don't remember where). (Inspiron 1501, Sempron 3500+, ATI 1150, Wifi broadcom 4311)

The installation is ok, but i have no wifi.

I see everywhere that the Dell 1390 is working out of the box, my mine doesn't...

I don't know what to do, and i'm asking some questions :

- is it possible that 2 drivers exist on the system, a good one, and a bad one. The bad one "takes control" but doesn't really fails, and disallows the good one to work? ! How can i see which drivers are loaded in the system ?

- is it possible to unload dynamically a driver to try another one ?

- there's a led in windows to switch on/off the wifi. I alwasy start windows first to have this led turned on. Is it needed ? Or will the Wifi work even if the led is off ?

- if the led is needed, is ther a way, inside of leopard, to switch it on ?

.....thanks if you can help (thanks for the advices even if it doesn't make it work ;-) )

Pascal

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...