Official Dell Inspiron 1501 Guide

aross6

227 posts in this topic

I have some questions for you!

1) is there any way to increase battery life under OSx86? Under XP i've got more than 3 hours working with my laptop but under OSX86 got less than 2 hours

2) anybody got QE/CI working with Ati X1150 video card?

Thanks!

My configuration(see the photo): TUBGirl 10.4.10 / WinXP on Dell Inspiron 1501 TL-58

post-162415-1200607452_thumb.jpg

1) is there any way to increase battery life under OSx86? Under XP i've got more than 3 hours working with my laptop but under OSX86 got less than 2 hours
You can try adjusting the Energy Saver options under System Preferences but most generally, the answer to your questions in no... it's just a necessary evil.

2) anybody got QE/CI working with Ati X1150 video card?
QE/CI doesn't work at all on our systems and there is no development on it, to my knowledge, at all to get it working.

Cheers!

Aross6, thanks for the answer! I believe i can work without QE/CI on my laptop....

I push my luck for another question: anyone had installed Osx86 Leopard on his Inspiron 1501? Can provide us a guide, a link, an advice! That will be nice...

Thanks in advance and sorry for being off topic :D

helo i have tried to install mac several times on two platforms. i have ended on two errors :D

First try:

Installed XP, vmware, installed on a partition on my laptop jas 10.4.8 for amd and intel. After the long process of installing it, i was asked to restart my machine. I took out the cd, as the tutorial for my pc said, and rebooted the virtual pc. VMware gave me an error. I cannot remember it but is said somthing like it cannot start the machine because something changed on the data table. I the restarted the hole process of installing mac in vmware but i did not took the dvd out. It booted the system and i got the gray background with a apple on it where it got stuck. I rebooted again after a looooooooong wait to see if i receive any reaction. I ended up with the same error.

Second try:

Installed Vista, vmware, booted tub 10.4.10 for amd. When i got to the point where to use disk utility to make the MAC OS EXTENDED JOURNLED partition i discovered that it did not want to apply the settings because vmware couldn`t access the partition and offered me some solutions as if i was connecting remotely to that hdd drive.

Now i do not know what else to do... if you have any idea about my problemes please do not hesitate to reply.

Thank you in advance!

Without QE/CI i am facing few problems.

Video playback using Quiccktime is very sluggish.

VLC player wouldn't play the video ( flack frame with sound ) maybe it didn't find any hardware accelerator.

I know getting QE/CI on ATI 1150 is very bleak.

But, if anyone can help running hte VLC Player normally, it will be very helpful.

Thanks

Hi there... hope if any one can helpme with my prob

Ok...i am usin mac 10.4.10 since abt 6 monhs and it was working fine...

i have 3 partations on on sigular hardisk... one for windows,next an empty one (trg to install Leo) and thrid Tiger.

the prob is that after i formated my 2 hd, the darwin bootloader does not show up and it striaght bots into windows. I have tried using the livecd of GPARTED and flaged my Tiger as a bootble one. I cant flag 2 hardisk partiatin at one time. So after flaging tiger partation i rebooted. It loaded up to a blank screen with a cursor blinking. I tred booting from the uphuck dvd, it boots nomaly and when the message comes to press the any blah blah blh.... i leave it for it to time out....and then my tger boots up and everyting is normal.... Now the problem has become that I have each time first use GPART to first make WINDOWS or MAC paratin bootable to use the one i wont, and if i want to use mac and need to boot it with the uphuck dvd....

Is there anyway of getting the darwin boot loader... i have even tried wingrub but it just lets me edit in the menu as OSX at hd0,6 and when i restart and chose it gives an error that there is no such partation... i am getting really frustrated with swtiching cds and dvd just to swtih from one OS to the other....if an oe could please help me out with this...it would be of gr8 help...

thanks

my config is

1st partation windows (hd0,0)

2nd partation empty

3rd partation Tiger (hd0,5)

cheers.. :D

helo i have tried to install mac several times on two platforms. i have ended on two errors ;)

Now i do not know what else to do... if you have any idea about my problemes please do not hesitate to reply.

Thank you in advance!

The type of the partiton you try to install Osx must be set "primary" not logical, or else. Try this setting with Partition Manager or Acronis disk Director. i use to have the same problem untill i do that setting.

Hi there... hope if any one can helpme with my prob

cheers.. :)

Try install in windows Acronis Os Selector. If yor Osx Installation is still intact you should be able to choose with Acronis between your Win and your Mac.

UPDATE: Ok.. For anyone getting the "waiting for root device" message please do the following. Copy emzo's IOATAFamily.kext to your Mac drive (while still in vmware) and then edit its contents and enter your device id. Just because you purchased a Dell Inspiron 1501 doesn't mean it's got the same hard drive the publisher of this guide has. For example, the device id for my drive is 0x24CBC6AB. What you're looking for is AppleVIAATA.kext. You don't need to delete the other entries, just append the file.

Where I can find my HD id? I have tried using Disk Utility, System Profiler under OSX without finding anything similar to id format (0x12345678). Could it be that my HD don't have id or I just can't find it?

From what I've read that's the way the speakers work. There is no solution yet for the audio, full graphics (QE/CI), card slot reader and ethernet.

The ethernet work fine after replacing IONetworkingFamily.kext found in forum. Unfortunately I can't remember in what topic I have found it, and if i had altered anything in this .kex. My kex is available in attachment.

Edited:

Here is the oryginal kex: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...amp;#entry73600

IONetworkingFamily.kext.zip

Hi,

I managed to get uphuck 10.4.9 1.4a working on my inspiron booting from external HDD. The wireless is working but it cannot connect to my WEP protected network. I am able to connect to my network if i remove the WEP from my home wireless network. I have a dell 1490 WLAN card.

Can someone help?

TIA,

I can only offer some information about transferring OsX from one HDD to another HDD. Download program called Carbon Copy Cloner - it's a great back-up software (and free). I have used it myself to transfer Tiger installation from extended HDD to internal one after partitioning it with Partition magic under XP and formating for mac in Disk Utility. I haven't tried accessing WEP protected network yet, so I don't know if it's a common error or not...

Good luck

Thanks Temporary99,

I might even try that to get my WEP network to work.... :D ...btw does the partition to which i intend to transfer should have the same size as my original one? Also my ethernet is working with the kext you posted in your previous reply..... :D:thumbsup_anim:

The partition can be smaller or bigger than original one, but it must be big enough to fit all data from original partition plus 2-3GB free space for comfortable work (you know that system like to borrow up to 2GB of memory as virtual memory if you don't have enough RAM for applications running like for e.g. PS).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

yo im prolly being qute the n00b but im having some trouble

at first i tried vista, seemed to work if i selected parttion instead of ENTIRE DISK

i could view the partitions however if i tried to delete one OSX would simply hang

however after read posts here i realized vista might have been a bad idea

based one that i installed XP

turns out i end up with the same problem regardless of XP or Vista

im using JaS 10.4.8 with PPF 1 & 2, mounted using daemon tools. what could be cuasing this? it simply wont write or earase the partition

just hangs and i have to reboot the VM

on a hunch i tried to use the vmware trick byt burning OSX to a DVD

evrything went fine but it didnt detect my partitions, just the whole HD

i figured i could fix that by restarting vmware.

it then came up with an error message stating something to the effect of "fatal exception 0x0078" [im just using 0x0078 as an example, its not the accual number from the message

when restarting and reinstalling vmware failed to do anything bout the message, i thought it might be an internal error in windows, one of those things u gotta fix by restarting [windows xp is running well at this point]

i restarted, but the worse thing happened, my bios hangs it reads:

632K System Ram Passed

382M Extended Ram passes

512 KB l2 Cache

ATAPI CD-ROM: TSSTcorp DVD+/-RW TS-L632D

Fixed Disk: Hitachi HTS54... [so on]

the accual problem doesnt seem to be th problem, it just hangs while the reading HD light is on

and if i remove the HD everything runs smoothly booting a CD

anyone got anything on this? it seems like my HD is shot

Just finished loading Zemproths 10.5.2 on my 1501! Dual boot with Vista(pain in the a** but got it working) Runs really fast! Still no QE but CI. Had to use Callisto fro video(Slice almost has a fix for x200) Hda patcher for sound,Powermanagement bundle to fix sleep and battery meter. So close to perfect!!!!

post-175956-1204906396_thumb.png

post-175956-1204906417_thumb.png

Just finished loading Zemproths 10.5.2 on my 1501! Dual boot with Vista(pain in the a** but got it working) Runs really fast! Still no QE but CI. Had to use Callisto fro video(Slice almost has a fix for x200) Hda patcher for sound,Powermanagement bundle to fix sleep and battery meter. So close to perfect!!!!

you had problems with the installation?, I have not been able to complete the installation.

In the first reboot, I see a blinking line reading guides to solve the problem, not achieving the partition boot.

Sorry for my terrible English

Hey Fast1,

Even i have finished installing the 10.5.2 on my 1501. I have Windows Xp x64 loaded on my 1st partition and 2nd partion leo.

THe problem i am facing is that i the leo hard disk is made active (bootable) i get an error saying "HFS+ partition error", but if i boot from the leo dvd, that is lloading the leo dvd and then pressing F8, and then typing rd=disk0s2 -v, it will then laod the leo. This is very annoying.

At the moment i have get my XP activitve and from bios i made CD ROM as the first thign to boot from, so whenever i need to go to leo i need jsut put the dvd and boot form it. IT is very frustrating.

Can you please guide me how to get this working wiht the Darwin boot loader or any other boot loader, i am gettign really annoyed pal.

ANother problem is that, though everythign works in Leo (except the QE thing ), there is no sound. I tried patching my 1501 with all the possible codec dump there for sigmatel 9200. If you could please tell which one you patched with and which HDA patcher, and if possibler could you link it up so i can download it and get that thing solved.

oh yeha one more thing, if you could tell what to do for the video as well will be great pal

it would be of great help if you solve my probs, i am really gettign frustrated with the boot and no sound.

thanks in advance pal

:)

Question about the install... did you have to use the VMWare method as I have detailed or were you able to go through the install process natively (i.e. - pop in the DVD and start installing)? Also, were any extra kexts required?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

hey.. i`m not able to use callisto , i installed but when i select the resolution (1280 x 800) my screen freezes and it`s goin white...

i replaced the pci id(btw mine is 5974) , and folowed the the indications exactly like it was in guide , tried even with the already modified kext , it does not work.

does anyone have any ideea why ? :)

thanks in advande and srry for my bad english.

Hi Fast1,

Could you post a quick install guide....Also please include any kexts which you had to replace...my system is similar to yours...would be easier for me...

I also need to dual boot with Vista....so any help for that is also appreciated...

TIA.

Here's my way of installing Mac Os X on my dell laptop (instruction mostly based on work of aross6( big thanks to you), and authors of many useful posts)

You can call it a refreshed/altered instruction :D

I installed my OSx86 system using Uphuck 10.4.9 v1.3u and additional HD in external case.

Steps:

1) Create 2 partitions, 1 for WinXP (5Gb minimum, FAT32 format for painless access from Mac Os or NTFS if you want to use windows as something more than emergency system) and 1 for Mac OSX on your internal disk.

2) Install WinXP

3) Put your Uphuck 10.4.9 v1.3u disc in the DVD-ROM and reboot computer. If installation doesn't start, reset again and enter booting menu by pressing F12 during bios start-up and select CD/DVD drive.

4) Installation now starts!

5) Run Disk Utility and ERASE your Mac OSX partition on external HD or whole disk; once you exit Disk Utility, that partition will be available to install your OS on.

6) Now it's time to specify what packages to install... this is the important part! Select: 10.4.9 AMD, Universal Kernel-3, IOATAFamily.kext, AppleACPIPlatform, VIA SATA/ATA, ATI ATA, and finally any 3rd party software you want. Then click Install!

7) When the installation finishes it will reboot the system. Remove install DVD from DVD-ROM.

8) GREAT... now you have Mac OSX installed, but it won't work...

9) Under Windows download Emzo's made-for-Inspiron-1501 IOATAFamily.kext, extract, & copy the kext to /System/Library/Extensions/ on your mac partition/disk using for e.g. TransMac.

10) Delete AppleVIAATA.kext in /System/Library/Extensions/

11) Edit the boot.plist file to add the -f string. You may use Property List Editor for that. If you have a problem with saving... click here.

12) Open Disk Utility and Repair the Disk Permissions on the Mac OSX partition

13) Shutdown WinXP and boot Mac OSX natively!!!

14) The SONY CRX880A ATA CD-RW/DVD-Rom and Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card work out-of-box so nothing needs done to get these to work.

15) OSX doesn't initially offer Widescreen Resolutions for ATI Radeon Xpress 1150 so you need to download and install (guide is included, follow the walkthrough exactly) Callisto Build 003(fixed), May 27 2006 (Build 008, June 13 2006 will not work so don't even try!). There is prepared kext in this post for ATI Radeon Xpress Mobile x1150 with dev_id 5975 (sempron/turion id).

16) Sound doesn't work initially either (Sigmatel 9200 Hi-Def) so you need to download AppleHDA Patcher and use this Sigmatel9200.txt codec dump file (save it to your desktop and then drag it onto the AppleHDA Patcher Icon)

17) Your ethernet card won't work out of the box too, but with correct IONetworkingFamily.kext from here your Broadcom 440 will work.

18) Reboot, set your display resolution to the correct settings (I used 1280x800) in System Preferences, and your Mac OSX system is good to go!

19) Of course you want your new OS working from internal HD. Before you can transfer your system, boot from external HD (again, at start-up press F12). Now format your partition on internal HD for MacOs using Disk Utility (~/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility). Then you need to download back-up program called Carbon Copy Cloner from e.g. here. It's a simple program to transfer and create bootable copies of whole disk. Using it simple as I've written so there shouldn't be any problem at this point. Just copy everything from external to internal HD with "bootable" box checked.

20)To get rid of diskarb error and 30-60 second delay at startup you should read this.

PS

There is no way to get rid of diskarb error with fallowing method if you have NFST partition with windows-xp

After the Command-S startup (-s on boot for us), type the following on the command prompts, allowing time for each to do its thing:

/sbin/fsck -y <return>

/sbin/mount -uw <return>

/sbin/autodiskmount -va <return>

/usr/sbin/diskutil repairPermissions <return>

And, when one is sure it's all done, type:

reboot<return>

• 4 weeks later...
hey.. i`m not able to use callisto , i installed but when i select the resolution (1280 x 800) my screen freezes and it`s goin white...

i replaced the pci id(btw mine is 5974) , and folowed the the indications exactly like it was in guide , tried even with the already modified kext , it does not work.

does anyone have any ideea why ? :(

thanks in advande and srry for my bad english.

Sorry for the long time to answere... I have a bad english but I hope you understand... your problem is the same of mine and I discovered that is the video card that is x200 an not x200m like evrybodielse so I try to instal osx and I had a bad time trying diferent configurations ... discovered that the screen was reciveing the image but at orisontal and vertical sync that are unsuportable for eny monitor I had an old NEC that don't have protection for unsuported resolutions and it displays an image just like in high refresh rate... so I instaled linux...and guess what?! the same problem evrybodielse had inspiron worcking on linux this one dose not and I started to edit with trial and error the configurationfile from linux in the and I manage to ge some kind of image but bad so I edited and after a day of trial and error I manage to pull a configuration file that is worcking so I have the specs for the vido card to get an right output s that the monitor wont go strypes black to white... I'm sendic this laptop back to dell for some reason hase more problems then the videocad so ...I wil post here the configuration file thet work and I'l try to extract for calisto configuration file the data but I don't know if it will work but only after I recive back the laptop...here is the xorg.config file from linux that works with this laptop:

# /.../

# SaX generated X11 config file

# Created on: 2008-04-22T10:08:01+0300.

#

# Version: 8.1

# Contact: Marcus Schaefer <sax@suse.de>, 2005

# Contact: SaX-User list <https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/sax-users>

#

# Automatically generated by [iSaX] (8.1)

# PLEASE DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE!

#

Section "ServerLayout"

Identifier "Layout[all]"

Screen 0 "aticonfig-Screen[0]" 0 0

InputDevice "Keyboard[0]" "CoreKeyboard"

InputDevice "Mouse[1]" "CorePointer"

InputDevice "Mouse[3]" "SendCoreEvents"

Option "Clone" "off"

Option "Xinerama" "off"

EndSection

Section "Files"