Official Dell Inspiron 1501 Guide

aross6

227 posts in this topic

sorry, my bad, should have spent another 15 minutes before posting.

In case someone makes same mistake -- when transferring kext files to Mac OS X partition, DO NOT UNPACK ZIP files onto the FAT32 partition and then cp -r from there. Copy/Move ZIP file to the Mac OS X partition, unpack it there and copy/move kexts to /System/Library/Extenstions from Mac OS X partition.

aross6 -- thank you for your write-up and prompt attention to my post. it could be removed now.

1. When specifying rd=disk0s5 in the kernel flags it still doesn't boot Mac OS X by default (and yes, I've ran mount from terminal and it said that the disk was mounted as /dev/disk0s5)

I'm getting the exact same problem, I hope there's a solution.

2. Can't get the bootloader to run in the native 1280x800x32@60 resolution -- I've tried specifying it as key/string in the plist, as the kernel flag in the plist and manually at the boot-time (I read this: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=40925), still looks like it boots in 1024x768 and then flickers to 1280x800 after the wallpaper is loaded.

I have the same problem too, but I don't really mind it. When you boot in Windows, the boot screen also appears stretched until it's fully loaded.

Oh, unrelated question -- the airport does not automatically connect to my preferred network on boot (the WPA key is remembered in the keychain and all) -- any idea how do I fix that? Same functionality works just fine on the macbook...

That used to happen to me in 10.4.9, but it was somehow fixed in 10.4.10.

I am having trouble copying the IOATAFamily.kext in OSX. Can i get some help? Do i download it in OSX or can i copy it from Windows? And if I have to download it from OSX how do i find my wireless network?

You are supposed to use OS X to put that file in the Extensions directory. That file has nothing to do with the wireless network, it helps you boot native on your Inspiron. You can find your wireless network by clicking the baseball field icon in the menubar and choosing a network from the list.

You are supposed to use OS X to put that file in the Extensions directory. That file has nothing to do with the wireless network, it helps you boot native on your Inspiron. You can find your wireless network by clicking the baseball field icon in the menubar and choosing a network from the list.

I am aware that wireless works out of the box. I cant seem to get it working though. The problem i am having is i can not find my wireless settings it will let me go into telephone modem but not wireless. And i do have the 1390 wireless. I need this so i can get the .kext i need to extract into extensions. so i can boot natively. Has anyone else had this problem. and if so how was the problem fixed????????

Please help. I am anxious to use Mac on my Laptop

I am aware that wireless works out of the box. I cant seem to get it working though. The problem i am having is i can not find my wireless settings it will let me go into telephone modem but not wireless. And i do have the 1390 wireless. I need this so i can get the .kext i need to extract into extensions. so i can boot natively. Has anyone else had this problem. and if so how was the problem fixed????????

Please help. I am anxious to use Mac on my Laptop

I haven't had this problem, but I think this guide here might help you...

I am having trouble copying the IOATAFamily.kext in OSX. Can i get some help? Do i download it in OSX or can i copy it from Windows? And if I have to download it from OSX how do i find my wireless network?
Ok, maybe I wasn't so clear in this area... first of all, note that wireless will not work in VMWare. So what you have to do is download the IOATAFamily.kext.zip file in WinXP and put it in the root of your C: drive. Then reboot your pc; once it's booted, fire up Mac OSX in VMWare and access your WinXP paritition. From here, you can copy the IOATAFamily.kext.zip file to your Mac OSX desktop, extract it, and copy the IOATAFamily.kext to /System/Library/Extensions/. Then delete AppleVIAATA.kext in /System/Library/Extensions/, edit the boot.plist file to add the -f string (just put "-f " in front of "-legacy", without quotations of course), open Disk Utility and Repair the Disk Permissions on the Mac OSX partition, shutdown WinXP and boot Mac OSX natively!
When specifying rd=disk0s5 in the kernel flags it still doesn't boot Mac OS X by default (and yes, I've ran mount from terminal and it said that the disk was mounted as /dev/disk0s5)
This is strange because my Mac OSX partition boots by default and I didn't modify any kernel flags or anything else... it just does it on it's own ;)
Can't get the bootloader to run in the native 1280x800x32@60 resolution
This really isn't a big deal is it? Your OS runs in 1280x800 so that's all you really need to be concerned with.
the airport does not automatically connect to my preferred network on boot (the WPA key is remembered in the keychain and all) -- any idea how do I fix that? Same functionality works just fine on the macbook...
Try upgrading to 10.4.10... or using a WEP key perhaps.

This might seem trivial but did you check to see if your wifi is enabled? One thing I found out on this laptop is that if you turn off the wifi (Fn+F2) it wont turn back on. The only way I was abe to get it back was to turn it on under Windows and boot back to Mac. Also my thanks goes out to aross6 and Jackson123 for all the information in this guide it worked perfectly. Hopefully will be able to get QE/CI enabled on this laptop in the near future, one last thing does anyone know if the dvd player works on this laptop? I seem to get an error that says no valid video support device could be found for playback?

This might seem trivial but did you check to see if your wifi is enabled? One thing I found out on this laptop is that if you turn off the wifi (Fn+F2) it wont turn back on. The only way I was abe to get it back was to turn it on under Windows and boot back to Mac. Also my thanks goes out to aross6 and Jackson123 for all the information in this guide it worked perfectly. Hopefully will be able to get QE/CI enabled on this laptop in the near future, one last thing does anyone know if the dvd player works on this laptop? I seem to get an error that says no valid video support device could be found for playback?
I've got that same wifi problem, but I haven't touched it after installing 10.4.10. I'm going to try out the the dvd player and the wifi button now when I boot into Mac.

This is the message I'm getting for DVD Player:

picture1yz8.png

I turned off wifi and noticed that it didn't turn back on, until I booted into windows to enable it. This is most likely because when you press that button it turns the radio/hardware off for the wifi device--not airport. That's probably why it won't work when you try to turn it back on.

is there a specific reason why our sigmatel 9205 audio driver aren't working when most other sigmatel audio card seem to be working? i am dying to get audio to work. i am willing to invest my own time to write a compatible driver for our 9205. where do i start? lol

Yes, I've had the WiFi enabled. Anyways, I've had to reinstall Mac OS X, since it wouldn't boot into Mac OS X automatically whatever I've tried, so...

I have installed uphuck's 1.3u and right on top of it installed the 10.4.10 update as in the first post. I then fixed the AppleACPI kext and IOFamily kext and repaired permissions on disk and booted in native no problem.

1. WiFi works fine now -- automatically connects to my AP when OSX is loaded.

2. I also have the issue with the DVD player (as Jacksont123 does), althought it doesn't bother me as much -- this Dell will be used by my mom for office work.

3. It boots into the Darwin bootloader right away and into the correct partition.

I believe I've had a problem with #3 before, because I have partitioned the disk from the XP installer (including partition later formatted for Mac OS X) and I believe something in the partition record was not what the Darwin bootloader would expect to boot from there automatically. Now that I have only created the first small partition for XP within the XP installer and then "repartitioned" the drive from the Mac OS X installer I don't have this problem. Haven't tried to boot into XP from the Darwin bootloader tho, maybe I've lost an ability to do so.

For my needs, it works fine as it is (loads right into Mac OS X and WiFi, Audio, Video-card + Office Apps all work) so I'm going to leave it be. My only gripe is the sleep mode, I'll keep an eye on this thread for a possible solution in the future.

Jacksont123, thats the same exact error that I get dont know if it's due to the video card or dvd drive any ideas?
It's most likely the video card because my dvd drive works fine, when it comes to reading and writing.
2. I also have the issue with the DVD player (as Jacksont123 does), althought it doesn't bother me as much -- this Dell will be used by my mom for office work.3. It boots into the Darwin bootloader right away and into the correct partition.I believe I've had a problem with #3 before, because I have partitioned the disk from the XP installer (including partition later formatted for Mac OS X) and I believe something in the partition record was not what the Darwin bootloader would expect to boot from there automatically. Now that I have only created the first small partition for XP within the XP installer and then "repartitioned" the drive from the Mac OS X installer I don't have this problem. Haven't tried to boot into XP from the Darwin bootloader tho, maybe I've lost an ability to do so.
I don't mind the DVD player problem either, I can just boot into Windows to do the stuff that Mac is unable to do. ;)From what I read in #3, you basically set the Mac partition active and it boots into mac after the countdown? I could do that, but I'm also afraid it might not boot into XP... Could you check if it boots into XP for you?

From what I read in #3, you basically set the Mac partition active and it boots into mac after the countdown? I could do that, but I'm also afraid it might not boot into XP... Could you check if it boots into XP for you?

No, it doesn't (I've checked). I think the XP partition got screwed up when I used the disk utility to create a partition for the Mac OS X installation. I could just reinstall XP into the first partition, but I'm confident it will mess my bootloader so I won't be able to boot into Mac OS X automatically, even with the use of chain0.

I believe Darwin bootloader needs a specific MBR (or guid or something) to be able to load Mac OS X automatically and I don't want to mess it up now by re-installing XP. If I knew exactly what it was it needed, I could probably use some 3rd party program to save and restore it, but I don't.

Back in the day when I first tried osx86 on my lappie, I've first booted into Mac OS X installation, created two partitions there, then booted the XP installation and installed XP onto first, then again into OS X installation to install OS X onto the second partition and then I was able to set ntldr/darwin bootloader to automatically load either OS. But considering Inspiron 1501 has a problem with the SATA controller in OS X installation this is not an option for us I'm afraid.

PS. The sound from the speakers also doesn't get muted when the headphones are plugged in, but I couldn't have checked if it worked in 10.4.9.

PPS. Can we not just replace the kext in the iso-image to make it load the right kext to see our hard-drives from the installation DVD?

No matter what I do it says that i am not authorized to write, even when i change the access. Did anyone else have this problem and if so how was it fixed?
To edit boot.plist, first copy the file to your Desktop. Then open boot.plist with TextEdit, add the -f line, and save the file. Now cut the boot.plist file from your Desktop and paste it in library/preferences/SystemConfiguration, effectively replacing the file there (you may be asked to authorize... if so, do it!). Then repair permissions!

Okay so im probably getting to be abit of an annoyence now but i really want to get this working. I do all the steps before boot natively (add kext delete kext, edit boot.plist, repair boot permission) and as soon as i try to boot natively i get the load screen and a circle with a diaginal line comes up (like the one on the no smoking signs. So i try to boot in VMWare again and i get the same thing. ANd I have to start all over again. Can anyone help me out. Please Please im getting so frustrated but i want to be able to do this sooo bad. :););)

:hysterical: hi guys, i downloaded x86 10.4.9 by uphuck and cant seem find out how to correctly create the partition and the correct kernels to install, i have a dell inspiron 6400, 512mb ram, intel 945 video card and its core duo 1.73 ghz, please help me someone, i have been trying this for three days now and have not got it right. can someone please give me step by step instructions for the partitioning and the correct kernels. thanks alot to who ever help me

Okay so im probably getting to be abit of an annoyence now but i really want to get this working. I do all the steps before boot natively (add kext delete kext, edit boot.plist, repair boot permission) and as soon as i try to boot natively i get the load screen and a circle with a diaginal line comes up (like the one on the no smoking signs. So i try to boot in VMWare again and i get the same thing. ANd I have to start all over again. Can anyone help me out. Please Please im getting so frustrated but i want to be able to do this sooo bad. :( :censored2: :censored2:

Yeoyo, I have followed the guide a few times know and was able to get the system to boot fine. However I ran into the same thing that you are getting a few times in my travels. I back tracked it to doing the apple updates ( not the update to the kernel ). Are are you folowing the guide excatlly? what I mean by that is are you trying to install it with a different version of the mac software?

I am using 10.4.9 v1.3 tubgirl/uphuck. And following the guide to the last note. It boots fine in WMWare until i add the familykext and delete the apple kext ,change the boot.plist to a -f to -legacy and repair disk permissions. After that it wont boot natively or in VMWare and i have to start all over. I even tried to repair it with the DVD but nothing.

Yeoyo, I have followed the guide a few times know and was able to get the system to boot fine. However I ran into the same thing that you are getting a few times in my travels. I back tracked it to doing the apple updates ( not the update to the kernel ). Are are you folowing the guide excatlly? what I mean by that is are you trying to install it with a different version of the mac software?