Official Dell Inspiron 1501 Guide

aross6

227 posts in this topic

I have searched this forum forwards and backwards. However, this "still waiting for root device" is persistent whether I'm booting in vmware or natively. Cannot get it figured out. Any ideas? BTW: Kernel flags don't make a bit of difference. And yes, I'm already replaced the proper kext (and repaired permissions).

I have searched this forum forwards and backwards. However, this "still waiting for root device" is persistent whether I'm booting in vmware or natively. Cannot get it figured out. Any ideas? BTW: Kernel flags don't make a bit of difference. And yes, I'm already replaced the proper kext (and repaired permissions).
Are you installing on an Inspiron or a different type of device?What is the device id of your HDD?
i have a ubuntu linux disk but i don't know where it's at lol...i am seriously thinking about wiping the vista partition completely and installing os x... and keeping xp on the small 10GB partition.
You have to dump Vista... it is incompatible with the installation process of OSX. Read the installation guide to a T and read the response posts as well... there is a lot of valuable information regarding the install process there. If you're still finding you can't do it and do decide to run linux, I would go w/ freespire (based on the latest ubuntu linux but includes proprietary drives which makes it much less of a pain in the A$$).Cheers!

Are you installing on an Inspiron or a different type of device?What is the device id of your HDD?

Yes I'm installing on an Inspiron 1501 and I haven't even bothered checking the device ID of my HDD. Using Uphuck I have managed to boot to the "Forbidden Sign". Nothing I've tried has worked for me so far. I have followed the guide to a T.

Booting with -v it's showing that it's "still waiting for root device".

after messing around with vista more... i made up my mind. Vista is going it is the worst OS i have ever used.

they have several unhappy customers due to the BS genuine windows vista thing.

i have an idea that could possible work :) i'll repost my results.

damn damn damn damn :(

I dolwnloaded the wrong iso. the one i have only works on INTEL ... so now im downloading a 4.37GB image that works for AMD

this sucks.

;)

I had used the JaS image and it worked just not in anything but safe mode... so maybe this will do better.

thanks for the guide and all the help you have given

Can someone please tell me what string is used in the modified IOATAFamily.kext? Also, has anyone else suffered from the "Forbidden Sign"? I'd like to make good use of this notebook (even without QE/CI enabled) and Windows Vista just ain't cutting it. Thanks.

UPDATE: Ok.. For anyone getting the "waiting for root device" message please do the following. Copy emzo's IOATAFamily.kext to your Mac drive (while still in vmware) and then edit its contents and enter your device id. Just because you purchased a Dell Inspiron 1501 doesn't mean it's got the same hard drive the publisher of this guide has. For example, the device id for my drive is 0x24CBC6AB. What you're looking for is AppleVIAATA.kext. You don't need to delete the other entries, just append the file.

Off to get sound working!

Wish someone could figure out QE/CI for our cards..

I tried installing OSX on my Inspiron using the uphuck 10.4.9 v1.4a (can't find 1.3u anywhere), and I keep getting the forbidden sign after it booted up right once. Is there something I need to do specifically to my install that isn't mentioned in the guide here to get 1.4a working, or do I need to get a different version? I followed the guide as closely as I could.

Just because you purchased a Dell Inspiron 1501 doesn't mean it's got the same hard drive the publisher of this guide has.

Lifeforce... you make a great point! I purchased my Inspiron 1501 a while ago so the newer ones may contain updated components with different device id's. Glad to hear you got OSX installed and hopefully you are up and running w/ sound now too!

I tried installing OSX on my Inspiron using the uphuck 10.4.9 v1.4a (can't find 1.3u anywhere), and I keep getting the forbidden sign after it booted up right once. Is there something I need to do specifically to my install that isn't mentioned in the guide here to get 1.4a working, or do I need to get a different version? I followed the guide as closely as I could.

I found 1.3u (1.3 universal) in emule, just do a search in kad network for "uphuck" and you should be able to find it.

Okay, so here we go. I FINALLY got JaS 10.4.8 installed on an External Drive. I got the Resolution working, BUT it broke my wifi. The lift was off (when I first got it installed it was a dim red-ish color).So, I heard that if I boot into windows and back into OS X the wifi should work; but it didnt. The light for the wifi was on, bright green (as in windows) but no connection. System Profiler told me that AirPort was off.How to fix??
well... mine did the same exact thing. i don't know how to fix that i can't get the uphuck image that this guide uses. :(oh jmc1... that install disk is intel only.. i tried the same thing it says it when you open the installer... it sucksthe Jas 10.4.8 works but when u fix thie graphics card it breaks the wireless... odd

well... mine did the same exact thing. i don't know how to fix that i can't get the uphuck image that this guide uses. :(oh jmc1... that install disk is intel only.. i tried the same thing it says it when you open the installer... it sucksthe Jas 10.4.8 works but when u fix thie graphics card it breaks the wireless... odd

There's actually an AMD and Intel version... but I found the right version on Bittorrent with trackers that work. Friggin' CRIA, killing Demonoid...

Got everything working (as per the guide) except for the ability to change my resolution. I edited the CallistoHAL.kext and put in my device id "0x10025975" and still I cannot change resolution. What am I missing?

It should be 0x59751002... i also had to update the kernel to the mach_sleep, YMMV

Boot up in Verbose mode and tell us what it says....

To Jacksont123

hey...this is my first post on this site... i am getting the same problem like YeoYo, that i cant get passed the grey apple screen after installing. It said to natively boot mac. It just gets stuck on the apple grey screen with a circle with a line in it (on top of the apple sign)

I did the verbose mode and it get stuck on still waiting for root device.

Please do help.

Computer config,

AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile

Technology TL-52

1.60 GHz, 768 MB of RAM

Windows XP

ATI RADEON XPRESS SERIES WITH ID 5975

Thanks alot... :(

To Jacksont123

hey...this is my first post on this site... i am getting the same problem like YeoYo, that i cant get passed the grey apple screen after installing. It said to natively boot mac. It just gets stuck on the apple grey screen with a circle with a line in it (on top of the apple sign)

Please do help.

Computer config,

AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile

Technology TL-52

1.60 GHz, 768 MB of RAM

Windows XP

ATI RADEON XPRESS SERIES WITH ID 5975

Thanks alot... :)

Leave this note.... i got it to install after several re installation of mac...and now i am sending u this post from my mac 10.4.10... i have just one questions, how to fix the audio prob as both the internal speaker and headphones work when i plug in my head phones, any idea pls to let me knwo thanks a lot..

appreciate the effort giving to make this guide and these hacks...thanks a million to all u had their share of effort involved in the making of this..

:D

UPDATE: Ok.. For anyone getting the "waiting for root device" message please do the following. Copy emzo's IOATAFamily.kext to your Mac drive (while still in vmware) and then edit its contents and enter your device id. Just because you purchased a Dell Inspiron 1501 doesn't mean it's got the same hard drive the publisher of this guide has. For example, the device id for my drive is 0x24CBC6AB. What you're looking for is AppleVIAATA.kext. You don't need to delete the other entries, just append the file.

i have just one questions, how to fix the audio prob as both the internal speaker and headphones work when i plug in my head phones, any idea pls to let me knwo thanks a lot..

From what I've read that's the way the speakers work. There is no solution yet for the audio, full graphics (QE/CI), card slot reader and ethernet.

These are just some of the shortcomings we face. I can handle everything except the lack of QE/CI :P

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everybody,

First I have to thank you all for your incredible work. All the information here has helped me get an OS X 4.10 system almost fully operational in my dell 1501 sempron. The only two things I have not been able to manage are the QE which is a general problem, and beeing able to get it installed in my local HD. I have it running great in an external HD. But wish to have the mobility of my laptop without having to carry around this external HD with all its cables.

How would I be able to transfer this working system to my local HD??? Does anybody know how to do that?

The other thing i need to know is if I am going to be able to run iWorks and iLife, mainly iDVD, iPhoto and iMovie. Since QE is'nt available, will I ever be able to run it? If this is true, than having OS X in my Dell is of no use.

One observation I have though, mi ATI 1150 is recognized and running as 1280x800 perfectly, but it only has 16mb assigned to it. have no clue why. Is that normal because of the QE?

I use Vista by the way, I actually like it, but I've always been a mac fan and always used mac, but for money reasons, had to change to a dell.

Thx once again for all your help!

QE/CI working? And may I intstall 10.5.0 to Inpiron 1501?
QE/CI is not working (hence why, for example, the DVD Player application will not function) and there are not current projects in the works to get it running that I am aware of. A Leopard 10.5.x install will not be available at least until iAktos for AMDs is released.... the timeframe for that I cannot tell you because I am not the developer and do not know. iAktos for Intels was just released only a few days ago...
Since QE is'nt available, will I ever be able to run it? If this is true, than having OS X in my Dell is of no use.
See above regarding QE/CI.

QE/CI is not working (hence why, for example, the DVD Player application will not function) and there are not current projects in the works to get it running that I am aware of. A Leopard 10.5.x install will not be available at least until iAktos for AMDs is released.... the timeframe for that I cannot tell you because I am not the developer and do not know. iAktos for Intels was just released only a few days ago...

See above regarding QE/CI.

Thx for your answer acros6. So basically what you are saying is that there will not be any further development for Tiger, thus, we have to wait to see if Leaperd can come to our 1501 model with the QE/CI issue fixed. This is an issue specific to our model right? for the ATI 1150 card?

I might be in the near future concidering a computer update. A dell Vostro 1400 (might be, still not sure), or a very old macbook :-D, but still, would you have any recomendations as to any specific model (hopefully dell, i like dell) that can run pretty well OS X as to have a vista OS X dual boot?

Thx again for your help!!

All the best,

ARV.-

plzzz help me :D May I install mac os x how across6 wrote if win xp already install and file system is ntfs :-( Xp i don't want to erase because there are a lot of software already install on it and it's works great. I think I must to create new partition for Mac OS X but what software must i use and in what filesystem must i convert it?P.S And if there is a way to solve my problem, can you help me how to do multy boot after i install os x, because for my university lessons i must use {censored} MS Visual Studio :D P.S.S And how many soft doesn't work without QE/CI only native or many 3d-parties soft such as photoshop. And QE/CI influence to all system perfomance(i mean that system work slower)?Sory for my bad bad English :-)and what a {censored} I now know that i download uphuck 1.4 that's only for Intel and 1.3 i can't find on torrent site (isohunt, torrents.ru and etc) may you send me plzzzzzzz the link to private message or to the email wosquito at gmail dot com.

Is there any way to get to use the mac remote on our dell 1501 systems or any other remote which will work similarly ???

I downloaded the iPhoto update 7.1.1, on installation it says that i dont have the iPhoto in the application folder, when it is already present in it. Is this update only for the iLife 08 or can i still update my iPhoto (v 6) with the new update....???

please advice..

:D

Aditya: That is basically a Mac OS X question. Have you ever used iPhoto in that install you have? I mean, have you "agreed" to its licence as you do with iTunes when it's updated ot recently installed? If not, then the system does not have it as one of its working apps, and if iPhoto does not open because of the QE/CI problem, like me, than it will never give you the license agreement screen to "accept", thus it will never be recognized as a program of the OS.

Since this is what's happend to me too, I'm keeping my Vista, I'm glad with it, I can do everything I need to, and it is actully very snapy and efficient. I must be the only person on earth that likes Vista. jajajaj Of course I'd prefer OS X, but you can't have it all.

Aditya: That is basically a Mac OS X question. Have you ever used iPhoto in that install you have? I mean, have you "agreed" to its licence as you do with iTunes when it's updated ot recently installed? If not, then the system does not have it as one of its working apps, and if iPhoto does not open because of the QE/CI problem, like me, than it will never give you the license agreement screen to "accept", thus it will never be recognized as a program of the OS.

Since this is what's happend to me too, I'm keeping my Vista, I'm glad with it, I can do everything I need to, and it is actully very snapy and efficient. I must be the only person on earth that likes Vista. jajajaj Of course I'd prefer OS X, but you can't have it all.

I dont really remember that I got that licence thing when i first used iPhoto. Is there any way of checking it that I have agreed to it or not? If not, can i reinstall iPhoto v6 and then update it?

And is ther anyway of using the mac remote or any other similar device to controll the system like the mac remote does?

thanks..

:)