Official Dell Inspiron 1501 Guide

aross6

227 posts in this topic

After erase my Mac OSX partition,I still can't see any disk in the installing program

and about:"15) Edit the boot.plist file to add the -f string",would anybody tell me more details?

my windows XP is becoming really slow after erase the partition in MAC,what shall I do

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having slight trouble here. I have an Inspiron 1501 TL-56 Turion with 512mb and a 60 gb SATA.

I have one 5gb partition for WINXP and another 55gb for OSX. The problem that I am having is when I go to erase the Mac partition it acts like it erases it but it really doesn't. Normally it would change the volume name to whatever I specify in the NAME field while erasing but it won't and therefore when I go to install it, the volume doesn't show up as a valid place to install to. It just stays as DiskOs5 and won't erase.

The only remedy I have figured out for this is to choose "USE PARTITIONS" and then select only my mac partition when creating my virtual machine under the hard disk option instead of "USE ENTIRE DISK" and then it says something about the partition table being changed when I shut down and try to reopen my virtual machine back into OSX.

HELPPPPP!!

Okay I think I figured it out for those of you who are experiencing problems with the partition deleting itself when you restart vmware. What I had to do was click on the drive itself then go to the "partition" tab and then choose the partition you wish to install OSX to and partition the disk in the OSX install. That makes the drive available for install and no longer saves the data to a virtual file but may wipe your windows drive clean but you can always go back and reinstall windows on your smaller partition then go back and make the OSX partition active in Disk Manager within windows. Then it will boot straight into Darwin.

As an aside I did have to partition in the OSX installer in vmware. Then it wiped out my windows install and I had to reinstall windows then once I did that I could use the erase function in the OSX installer to clear a previously incomplete install off my OSX partition. Then it installed flawlessly. Now I just have to put in the right kexts and I should be all good to boot native off SATA. Now if only I can find a way to make the xpress 1150 video card support QE/CI. From what I understand it's basically a x300 core (which supports qe/ci) but instead of dedicated memory it uses system memory. Is there a way to perhaps modify the driver for the x300 to access the system memory that's been set aside for it instead of the memory that it would normally have onboard? Who do I have to pay to get that to work and how much would it cost?

After 5 days I've finally gotten it to work. Thanks to all who came before with experience that helped me. Thanks to insanelymac.com and osx86project. Now I can run logic 8! :-D

Has anyone successfully installed Leopard on an Inspiron 1501 (or similar)?

I got the 9a527 build to work on my inspiron 1501 but i removed it to try to get the GM to work. Havent had luck with that yet. But when the uphuck iATKOS comes out with AMD support it will be the same as installing this. If u want more info the two places you should look are www.osx86scene.com and www.uphuck.com there is a forum on the uphuck site on iATKOS and there is a forum for patching for AMD processors on osx86scene. When i get LEO working on my inspiron, if nobody else already has, I will do up a guide here to install it.

PeAcE

Yeoyo

:D:P:D

Hi ButcherGEIN,

I recently tried Installing Tubgirl 10.4.10 Test 1 on my Dell Inspiron 1501 and got the following result:

- Sound - worked after applying the Apple HDA Patcher ( only internal speaker works )

- WirelessLan - Works ( but haven't tested yet )

- Lan - don't seem to work

- Graphics - Used Callisto_b003fixed kexts ( can set resolution but no CI/QE )

My Primary requirement is to get QE/CI working.

And at the end of your post, you seems to have mentioned that you got it working.

I shall be higly grateful for your help if you could assist me in getting it to work.

I have the same Graphics controller as yours ( ATI 1150 )

Below is the Info of my Graphics:

Name	ATI Radeon Xpress 1150
PNP Device ID	PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5975&SUBSYS_01F51028&REV_00\4&3B383830&0&2808
Adapter Type	ATI Radeon Xpress Series (0x5975), ATI Technologies Inc. compatible
Adapter Description	ATI Radeon Xpress 1150
Adapter RAM	256.00 MB (268,435,456 bytes)
Installed Drivers	ati2dvag.dll
Driver Version	6.14.10.6631
INF File	oem10.inf (ati2mtag_RS482M section)
Color Planes	1
Color Table Entries	4294967296
Resolution	1280 x 800 x 60 hertz
Bits/Pixel	32
Memory Address	0xC8000000-0xCFFFFFFF
I/O Port	0x00009000-0x00009FFF
Memory Address	0xC0100000-0xC01FFFFF
IRQ Channel	IRQ 17
I/O Port	0x000003B0-0x000003BB
I/O Port	0x000003C0-0x000003DF
Memory Address	0xA0000-0xBFFFF
Driver	c:\windows\system32\drivers\ati2mtag.sys (6.14.10.6631, 1.60 MB (1,681,920 bytes), 8/4/2007 6:53 PM)

I shall be highly grateful if someone in the community could help me to get QE/CI Working.

Thanks.

I guess I spoke too soon. Apparently I get a still waiting for root device error. I'm going to reinstall windows then reinstall osx then boot into OSX and make sure my devide ID in emzos kext is correct because maybe we have a different hard drive manufacturer.

Sorry Sapam I'm afraid I didn't word that correctly. I didn't get QE/CI working. I thought I had osx working but I didn't. ;)

Hi ButcherGEIN,

I recently tried Installing Tubgirl 10.4.10 Test 1 on my Dell Inspiron 1501 and got the following result:

- Sound - worked after applying the Apple HDA Patcher ( only internal speaker works )

- WirelessLan - Works ( but haven't tested yet )

- Lan - don't seem to work

- Graphics - Used Callisto_b003fixed kexts ( can set resolution but no CI/QE )

My Primary requirement is to get QE/CI working.

And at the end of your post, you seems to have mentioned that you got it working.

I shall be higly grateful for your help if you could assist me in getting it to work.

I have the same Graphics controller as yours ( ATI 1150 )

Below is the Info of my Graphics:

Name	ATI Radeon Xpress 1150
PNP Device ID	PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5975&SUBSYS_01F51028&REV_00\4&3B383830&0&2808
Adapter Type	ATI Radeon Xpress Series (0x5975), ATI Technologies Inc. compatible
Adapter Description	ATI Radeon Xpress 1150
Adapter RAM	256.00 MB (268,435,456 bytes)
Installed Drivers	ati2dvag.dll
Driver Version	6.14.10.6631
INF File	oem10.inf (ati2mtag_RS482M section)
Color Planes	1
Color Table Entries	4294967296
Resolution	1280 x 800 x 60 hertz
Bits/Pixel	32
Memory Address	0xC8000000-0xCFFFFFFF
I/O Port	0x00009000-0x00009FFF
Memory Address	0xC0100000-0xC01FFFFF
IRQ Channel	IRQ 17
I/O Port	0x000003B0-0x000003BB
I/O Port	0x000003C0-0x000003DF
Memory Address	0xA0000-0xBFFFF
Driver	c:\windows\system32\drivers\ati2mtag.sys (6.14.10.6631, 1.60 MB (1,681,920 bytes), 8/4/2007 6:53 PM)

I shall be highly grateful if someone in the community could help me to get QE/CI Working.

Thanks.

QE/CI doesnt work with the Radeon 1150. I doubt it will ever work on Tiger. Most of all of the devolopers of OSX86 are moved onto Leopard. Hopefully we will get the QE/CI support when Leopard it all setup for us.

Works great on mine. Everything runs extremely well. I just wish we could get QE/CI working because then this laptop would be working 100%, but for my needs (audio apps) it works f'n better than windows. :P . Oh, and have you gotten sleep to work?

Hi, im a nooby, and i was just wonderng how you edit the boot.plist file? Thank you very much

i know this is old but thank you!!! i :| doing this now.it's not wanting to partition right with vista... i hate the partition managing stuff it came with.
Can't use Vista. The 5GB partition has to be XP because Vista utilizes BitLocker which will not allow OSX to install properly.Cheers!
Hi, im a nooby, and i was just wonderng how you edit the boot.plist file? Thank you very much
To edit boot.plist, first find the file in library/preferences/SystemConfiguration and copy it to your Desktop. Then open boot.plist with TextEdit, add the -f string, and save the file. Now cut the boot.plist file from your Desktop and paste it back in library/preferences/SystemConfiguration, effectively replacing the file there (you may be asked to authorize... if so, do it!). Then repair permissions!

Okay, so here we go. I FINALLY got JaS 10.4.8 installed on an External Drive. I got the Resolution working, BUT it broke my wifi. The lift was off (when I first got it installed it was a dim red-ish color).

So, I heard that if I boot into windows and back into OS X the wifi should work; but it didnt. The light for the wifi was on, bright green (as in windows) but no connection. System Profiler told me that AirPort was off.

How to fix??

Probably we might not have QE/CI for Tiger!!! :D

But can anyone suggest a way to run "QE/CI" based application without "QE/CI" support.

My Primary applications are:

- iWork8 ( none works as they require QE/CI )

- iPhoto8 ( works partially but editing, fullscreen don't work )

- iMovie8 ( refuses to open, requires QE )

If any one can help with a method or config that will allow QE/CI applications to run, i think i can wait for sometime until Leopard is developed to support 1150. I am using TubGirl 10.4.10 Test1 on Dell Inspiron 1501

well somehow i got it installed but on like 5GB lol... im just going to try to completely format the whole hard drive and install xp with about 60GB and the rest for os x... vista is just getting on my nerves. it's now saying my copy isn't genuine... when i know good and well it is because the produc t key is right under my computer.

hell if i can get everything to work i might try to only have os x...

as of now it only works in safe mode :D

better than this stupid vista though.