Official Dell Inspiron 1501 Guide

aross6

227 posts in this topic

I am using 10.4.9 1.3u uphuck/tubgirl. I follow it exactly. I add the kext required to ad and delete the kext required to delete and then i add -f to -legacy in the boot.plist and repair disk permissions in disk utilities. After that i can not boot natively or in VMWare.

Yeoyo, I have followed the guide a few times know and was able to get the system to boot fine. However I ran into the same thing that you are getting a few times in my travels. I back tracked it to doing the apple updates ( not the update to the kernel ). Are are you folowing the guide excatlly? what I mean by that is are you trying to install it with a different version of the mac software?

I am using 10.4.9 1.3u uphuck/tubgirl. I follow it exactly. I add the kext required to ad and delete the kext required to delete and then i add -f to -legacy in the boot.plist and repair disk permissions in disk utilities. After that i can not boot natively or in VMWare.

YeoYo here is the contents of my com.apple.boot.plist. See if it matchs yours.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-legacy</string>

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Quiet Boot</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

<string>-f</string>

</dict>

</plist>

No. But this will probably solve my problem. I added the "-f" in front of the "-legacy" so it says "-f-legacy". This was the intentions i was under due to a previous reply to this forum. So do i add a new sting and put "-f" in it? I have left an example. Might not be exactly accurate as i can not get into OSX via VMWare or Natively. I just copied and pasted yours and added in where i put the "-f".

Example:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-f-legacy</string>

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Quiet Boot</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

\</dict>

</plist>

Jacksont123, I downloaded your kexts for Callisto, but I'm not sure what I have to do to get my resolution to 1200x800. I put them into /System/Library/Extensions/Callisto, but no luck.What do I have to do with them to make it work?Thanks.
Nevermind this post, I got it all sorted out.I finally got OS X installed, booting natively, 1200x800 resolution, working WiFi, and working sound. Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread!If anyone has any questions, I'll try to help to the best of my ability as I know it can be a pain in the ass to get this the way you want it.
No. But this will probably solve my problem. I added the "-f" in front of the "-legacy" so it says "-f-legacy". This was the intentions i was under due to a previous reply to this forum. So do i add a new sting and put "-f" in it? I have left an example. Might not be exactly accurate as i can not get into OSX via VMWare or Natively. I just copied and pasted yours and added in where i put the "-f".Example:Yes, it should look like this (and what you said, I just copied what you had, so it might not be 100% corre<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd"><plist version="1.0"><dict><key>Kernel</key><string>mach_kernel</string><key>Kernel Flags</key><string>-f-legacy</string><key>Boot Graphics</key><string>Yes</string><key>Quiet Boot</key><string>No</string><key>Timeout</key><string>5</string>\</dict></plist>

Yes, it should look like this (and what you said, I just copied what you had, so it might not be 100% correct)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict><
key>Kernel</key>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>[i]
<string>-legacy</string>[/i]
<key>Boot Graphics</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Quiet Boot</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string> [b]
<string>-f</string>[/b]
</dict>
</plist> 

Thank you to everyone who helped me out with this. I FINALLY got OSX on my dell. I just gotta get the ATI and sound to work. But i am happy just to finally boot natively.

Special Thanx to Woody. I had so much trouble with the -f part. I was trying to add it with plist editor and the sudo command worked like a charm.

Yeoyo

Thank you to everyone who helped me out with this. I FINALLY got OSX on my dell. I just gotta get the ATI and sound to work. But i am happy just to finally boot natively.

Special Thanx to Woody. I had so much trouble with the -f part. I was trying to add it with plist editor and the sudo command worked like a charm.

Yeoyo

Yeoyo, I'm glad to see you finnally got it up and running. This is my first hands on experience with mac since the late 80's and I can say with out a doubt that mac is the way to go. I don't even boot into windows anymore on my laptop. The only thing left to figure out on the 1501 is how to get qe/ci working. A special thanks to everyone on this thread who made it possible to load osx on this laptop.

OK so hopefully this is the last time Ill pester you all. I got the 10.4.10 update installed. But still cant get the ATI installed. I downloaded the already edited Callisto and added it to my extensions. What do i do other than that? Can anyone help?

This is the message I keep getting upon logon. Does anyone know whats going wrong? I tried doing it myself and i tried the pre-edited ones. Can anyone help me?

The system extension “/System/Library/Extensions/CallistoHAL.kext“ was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product’s vendor for an update.

Brendon

Vista absolutely 100% will not work because of bitlocker. What i did is installed xp on 4Gb and installed it that way then if you want to remove xp afterwards and have it double booted with vista then that would work.

HERE IS A SCREENSHOT OF MY SYSTEM

post-130627-1190630670_thumb.png

What i did was made 2 partitions installed vista, and then shrank vista 4gb. Installed xp on that 4gb. Installed vmware on xp. Then installed osx with vmware. then deleted the xp partition and extended my vista those 4 gb.:censored2: Has anyone heard about Leopard OSX86 yet?????? ;)

everyone has gotten farther than me.

I downloaded JaS 10.4.8, and i have 2 partitons, one 5GB FAT32 that i installed WinXP onto,and a 55GB partition with no formating (where os x will go)

So, I put the JaS .iso image onto an external HDD and boot from that in VMware, i dotn even get the OS installer, I get a black screen and white text in VMware that ends with something like "loading /sbin/launchd failed, errno 8"

Id love some help!

Could you guys please help me out -- I've installed hackintosh onto two 1501s now, but for some weird reason, Toast 8.0 fails to start on them. Have you tried it?

Also, I figured I'll put together a wish-list, maybe aross6 can add it to his initial post, so that people would not what to NOT expect:

What's not working yet:

* Sleep mode isn't working (be sure to disable it in the Power Management)

* Speakers are still working when headphones are plugged in

* DVD Player isn't working (haven't tried FrontRow, is it the same QE/CI issue?)

* Ricoh's SD-card reader isn't working

* [Minor] Graphic boot uses 1024x768 resolution, not native 1280x800 resolution

* [Minor] diskarb failure to load slows down boot-up process (for 30 seconds for me, jacksont123 has reported one minute slow-down)

PS. Ezmo, aross6 -- thanks alot you guys for your efforts and for sharing what you found out.

I have JaS 10.4.8, downloaded the 10.4.10 update.. OSX was broken, so i just installed the base system from 10.4.8, and it was fixed, but now my version says "10.4.7" ??? WTF< and my "About This Mac" is very strange, it logs me out when i click it.

So, will this not work with 10.4.8?

Hey, I'm thinking of buying an Inspiron 1501 with the 2600+ Sempron CPU after my G4 1ghz stopped working.

Would garage band work well on this setup? what's the performance of OSX like on the Inspiron, better or worse than my old G4 1ghz?

Cheers.

rabbit_: I would stay away from the Sempron, on the Dual-Core 64bit Turion (which I've got for about $550 shipping and taxes included from the Dell Refurbished page) the system is pretty snappy. Not as fast as the Core 2 Duo 2.2Ghz, but roughly as fast as the old Core Duo 2.0Ghz.

Hopefully fully-64bit Leopard will run even faster than Tiger if you opt for a dual-core 64bit AMD CPU.

Sorry, can't tell you about the GarageBand and the like, haven't tried it.

Cool, thanks for that.

I'm curious about battery times aswell, what type of time should I expect from the different number of battery cells?

as I said earlier, I've come straight from an ibook and I'd be able to get around 5 hours if I was just word processing.