Easy Install Guide For A Dell Inspiron 1501

MacBoy101

25 posts in this topic

Hello--this is a guide on how to install Mac OS X on a Dell Inspiron 1501.

What you need is :

1. A Dell Inspiron 1501

2. 1 DVD-R (not RW) (burn leo4allv2 onto this with nero rom burner)

3. 1 DVD-RW

4. A working Windows XP install disk (you can install vista later in boot camp but you do need XP for this)

5. A leo4allv2 disk (you may use any torrent iso but this is the only one I got to work)

6. Vmware workstation install (save it to your desktop)

7. Vmware player (if you didn't buy vmware workstation)

(Note: before installing windows turn your BIOS setting in the Advanced tab to

Disabled, Enabled, Enabled, Enabled, Enabled, and the rest Disabled or Mac OS X WILL NOT work.)

1. Install Windows XP with a big partition for Mac OS X and a 20 to 25 Gb Windows partition

2. Install network drivers

3. Download, SAVE, and install vmware workstation

4. Make a vm with the settings of other, other with as much ram as possible--use physical drive and individual partitions (the one without windows), and name the vm anything you like.

5. Uninstall vmware workstation and download, SAVE, and install vmware player

6. Turn off your computer

7. Turn it on and boot from cd

8. When prompted press F8 for advanced startup options and type -f

9. Installer should boot

10. Choose English

11. Choose utilities and disk utility.

12. Choose your Mac OS X partition, click the tab, and name it anything you want and format it as hfs plus (AKA Mac OS X (Journeled)) and click format.

13. Quit disk utility

14. Hit continue and I agree

15. Click on the only partition shown and click continue

16. Click on customize

17. Use all defaults except check off AMD system fix and Time Machine fix

18. Click ok and start the installer (Note: you can not leave this alone, you must be near your machine because it will idle halt, which means it will stall and not continue installing until there is user input). Once it is done restart by pressing restart (it will prompt you)

19. Put in your XP setup cd and let it load. When it asks you to press ente r, r or something to exit, press r to enter recovery console. Type bootcfg /REBUILD and type Media Center 2005 for both.

20. After that type quit it will restart

21. Take your XP cd out of your drive

22. When prompted press F8 for advanced startup options, pick windows ntfs and hit enter. Pick the option media center 2005 and XP will boot from there. Open vmware player and open the vm you made earlier. Wait for the count down—Mac OS X will start to boot

23. Once Mac OS X is done booting setup your Mac (Note: DO NOT send the registration)

24. After that minimize your vm and download emozs made for Inspiron 1501 kext from here http://rs177.rapidshare.com/files/49615374...Family.kext.zip . Burn it on the DVD-RW (I forgot to mention that you could use a cd for this too )

25. We burnt it to a disk so you could retrieve it on the OS X side, so open up the cd or dvd in OS X (if it is not there restart your vm). Drag the IOATAFamialy.zip.kext to the desktop.

26. Click on it, and Mac OS X will unzip it for you

27. Go to /system/library/extensions. Drag the IOATAFamialy.kext into the folder. A window will pop up -- hit authenticate. A window will pop up asking you for your password-- type it in

28. Once it has finished, try to repair disk permissions if it’s taking too long and not moving (remember the idlehault?) Just hold the power button and boot in to Mac OS X natively (you just need to type -f ). It will not be slow like it did in the vm--it goes blazing fast. (and I don’t even have a full GB of ram)

Enhancements (recommended)

Now for better resolution, use castello. Download the kexts here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=24814 and in applications use kext b7 helper (or something like that) and it will install the kexts for you (just not IOATAFamily.kext). You just drag and drop, type your administrator password on the bottom of the window, and click easy install.

Now to get rid of the annoying idlehalt (YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY)

Open (click on your hard drive icon) library/preferences/systemconfiguration . Click com.apple.boot.plist and below kernal flags (hit enter to make a new line), copy and paste this: <string>idlehalt=0</string> . It will stop the annoying idlehalt and in a moment when I tell you how to install audio your sound won't be choppy because you did this (it also gives you the apple boot screen).

Download the AppleHDA Patcher 1.20 from here: http://www.mediafire.com/?xpijo2m4pxm

Download the TXT sound dump from here: http://www.mediafire.com/?jint7yhzgzh

Drag and drop the txt onto the AppleHDA Patcher 1.20 icon. DO NOT OPEN THE PATCHER. It will prompt for password--type it in. Reboot.

Just remember, boot with –f.

You now have a perfect hackintosh!!!!

EDIT

lord badar gets credit too for revising my crappy spelling and gets 50% credit for this so bravo lord badr bravo

post-234484-1216854092_thumb.png

post-234484-1216854106_thumb.png

post-234484-1216854119_thumb.png

post-234484-1216933738_thumb.png

Hello this is a guide on how to install Mac OS X on a dell inspiron 1501.

Jesus :o Christ.

This has to be the BEST guide I have seen. If the guide is not enough, contact MacBoy, who will gladly take you step by step and actually teach you why it has to be that way, in the end you learn and you have your hackintosh running on your dell 1501.

Two thumbs up!!

Macboy;

The guide is well written like I said before. I think my dell is such a piece of {censored} or that maybe i lack the patience...

This is what I did:

1. I re-installed Windows XP + VMware workstation v6.

2. my drive has a MacOSX journaled partition of 57gb.

3. I made the changes in the bios, thanks to the help you sent me earlier.

4. I created the VM with the indications you gave.

5. I rebooted the machine and when thre darwin loader came out I pressed F8 and -f

6 I get the Cannot find Root Device

7. Re-did step 5. Used -v, got step 6. Did it again, this time I didnt give any parameters, and again got Step 6.

When I didnt do anything of this I got the B0error. I just dont know how to make it work, and if the rest of the community participated I could make it work, or if my dell were better...

I dunno.

So what you want to try now?

Badr

PS. When can we work on my wife's PC?

Macboy;

The guide is well written like I said before. I think my dell is such a piece of {censored} or that maybe i lack the patience...

This is what I did:

1. I re-installed Windows XP + VMware workstation v6.

2. my drive has a MacOSX journaled partition of 57gb.

3. I made the changes in the bios, thanks to the help you sent me earlier.

4. I created the VM with the indications you gave.

5. I rebooted the machine and when thre darwin loader came out I pressed F8 and -f

6 I get the Cannot find Root Device

7. Re-did step 5. Used -v, got step 6. Did it again, this time I didnt give any parameters, and again got Step 6.

When I didnt do anything of this I got the B0error. I just dont know how to make it work, and if the rest of the community participated I could make it work, or if my dell were better...

I dunno.

So what you want to try now?

Badr

PS. When can we work on my wife's PC?

ok so to replace ioatafamialy.kext u must go to system/library/and drag the ioatafamialy.kext to it

it will say something but hit authenticate and then it will say this file already exists, click replace and let it do that then repair disk permissions and turn the vm off shut off your computer and boot with -f !!!!!!!!!

hi,

on booting from kalyway 10.5.2, i get most of the way through the installer then it freezes at around 17 minutes remaining.

with leo4all v2 on boot from cd, it comes up with "still waiting for root device" and refuses to go any further.

any ideas?

hi,

on booting from kalyway 10.5.2, i get most of the way through the installer then it freezes at around 17 minutes remaining.

with leo4all v2 on boot from cd, it comes up with "still waiting for root device" and refuses to go any further.

any ideas?

Ok...I have been running Leo4all V3 on my 1501..for a while now...except QE/CI ;) ....everything else is working...i do the install native and not using vmware......So it can be done...other than that this guide is well written....but just to let you know the install can be done direct....and i am dual booting with Vista......

I had the same "still waiting for root device" in V2 of leo4all but eddie resoved it in V3...so i would suggest move on to V3 for direct install....or try the newest Ideneb 10.5.4 distro....

I could install that but just the wireless card was not identified..if you have dell1390 it might work OOTB... :( ...

by..

Ok...I have been running Leo4all V3 on my 1501..for a while now...except QE/CI ;) ....everything else is working...i do the install native and not using vmware......So it can be done...other than that this guide is well written....but just to let you know the install can be done direct....and i am dual booting with Vista......

I had the same "still waiting for root device" in V2 of leo4all but eddie resoved it in V3...so i would suggest move on to V3 for direct install....or try the newest Ideneb 10.5.4 distro....

I could install that but just the wireless card was not identified..if you have dell1390 it might work OOTB... :censored2: ...

by..

gurukool, could you give a little guide to instal leo4all native? I'm downloadin leo4all v4. My laptop is Dell 1501, AMD 64 Athlon x2, 1GB RAM, 120 hdd.

Thanks!

Macboy101,

I have read your guide and tried to follow it as closes a possible but and soon as leo4allv3 boots to the mac os x installer i never finds my sata harddisk and only shows and option for the DVD Drive in the left pane of disk utility. i have been trying all day but to no avail, do you have any suggestion to make the sata harddisk show up, so it can be formatted by the disk utility.

P.S. My System Info is as follows

CPU: AMD Athlon x64 TK-53

RAM: 894 MB

Harddisk: 60GB Samsung HM060HI(Does not show up in Mac Os X installer disk utility)

External Harddisk: 500GB Western Digital My book Essential(When plugged in from boot this shows up in Mac Os X disk utility)

gurukool, could you give a little guide to instal leo4all native? I'm downloadin leo4all v4. My laptop is Dell 1501, AMD 64 Athlon x2, 1GB RAM, 120 hdd.

Thanks!

Hi..

...just format the drive to mac journalled..pop in the leo4allv3 DVD and at the prompt do an -v and install native...post you errors if any and we might be able to help you....

BTW....i am now running 10.5.4 with stageXNU kernel native....of course without QE/CI.

I downloaded leo4allv2 and used it instead of leo4allv3 it picked up my SATA drive and installed according to Macboy101's guide the only lingering problem is widescreen resolution that i cannot seem to fix

i need help from anyone i tried callisto's CallistoHAL.kext from b003fixed folder found on the website i have edited it to put in my DeviceID and then installed it using kext b7 helper reboot but no new screen resolutions are available.

Other than this simple problem i find leo4allv2 to run smooth and fast on my Dell inspiron 1501

I downloaded leo4allv2 and used it instead of leo4allv3 it picked up my SATA drive and installed according to Macboy101's guide the only lingering problem is widescreen resolution that i cannot seem to fix

i need help from anyone i tried callisto's CallistoHAL.kext from b003fixed folder found on the website i have edited it to put in my DeviceID and then installed it using kext b7 helper reboot but no new screen resolutions are available.

Other than this simple problem i find leo4allv2 to run smooth and fast on my Dell inspiron 1501

hi,

use the kexts attached. it already has the req device id....use the guide in the zip file from step 10 onwards.

post your results... :P

EDIT: updated with files.

CallistoKexts1150.zip

Archive.zip

• 3 months later...

Thank you all for your comments and replies.

I am very very honered that every one has done what they have done and how much you all liked my guide

I am here to also say I GITS A MACBOOK NOW TOO WOOT!

ANd also last night i found that you may actually use the VGA port on your dell.

But what you must do is set the res. to 1024 X 768 and the refresh rate higest allowed to that TV/moniter.

Also you must hold Fn and F8 down till so it sets it so that the externial display is working and the laptop display

is black also the display on the TV looks best at 85 hertz or elese it is all shaded green

Note: this is a very delicate process if your screen goes black and you see nothing on the TV too then just restart your hackintosh mobile

?

Thank you all for your comments and replies.

I am very very honered that every one has done what they have done and how much you all liked my guide

I am here to also say I GITS A MACBOOK NOW TOO WOOT!

ANd also last night i found that you may actually use the VGA port on your dell.

But what you must do is set the res. to 1024 X 768 and the refresh rate higest allowed to that TV/moniter.

Also you must hold Fn and F8 down till so it sets it so that the externial display is working and the laptop display

is black also the display on the TV looks best at 85 hertz or elese it is all shaded green

Note: this is a very delicate process if your screen goes black and you see nothing on the TV too then just restart your hackintosh mobile

This is good news....I just got a 22" monitor...probably will be able to use it as a external display..

Anyone has the method to install retail DVD using dfe132 method...since Voodoo kernel is out now...?

This is good news....I just got a 22" monitor...probably will be able to use it as a external display..

Anyone has the method to install retail DVD using dfe132 method...since Voodoo kernel is out now...?

Umm i dont think that is for our computer.

I find it a mericole that we can even get this on our macs, i mean dells to begin with.

If u and i want to set up another post to try, shure.

Hi MacBoy101,

First thanks for this guide. I'm following it and unfortunately I can't access the links posted. Links are not displayed correctly (having ellipsis in between to make the link short). Could you kindly repost the links? Thanks in advance.

Regards,

codejl

• 2 weeks later...
Hi MacBoy101,

First thanks for this guide. I'm following it and unfortunately I can't access the links posted. Links are not displayed correctly (having ellipsis in between to make the link short). Could you kindly repost the links? Thanks in advance.

Regards,

codejl

Shure

Castello :http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=33072

AppleHDAPATCHER: http://www.mediafire.com/?xpijo2m4pxm

http://www.mediafire.com/?jint7yhzgzh

http://rs177.rapidshare.com/files/49615374...Family.kext.zip

Links Still Not Working?

Try A different internet browser

Or if you PM your Email to me i will re-email the links to you

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

After I close the VM to boot native at the end, I get still waiting for root device. I followed your instructions exactly. I copied the IOATAFamily.kext. I did permissions. It won't even let me boot from the VM now. Can you help me?

EDIT: I got it working. Thanks for the wonderful guide. I do have one problem though. My ethernet doesn't work. Nor my wireless. Even when enabled from BIOS. I read that both were supported natively.

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

I was trying to get Mac working on my Dell Inspiron 1501, but after a few weeks of unsuccessful tryings, I decided to try installing it on a VMware virtual machine. However, after downloading a complete virtual machine preinstalled with Mac OS X Leopard, I realized that it doesn't work on my laptop. It freezes during the boot. After that I tried to install OS X from DVD image like iDeneb or iAtkos, but again, after install it didn't work. I guess I didn't select the right hardware patches, but i don't know for sure which ones are that, and realized that after installing too many patches conflicts may appear.

Can anyone give me some instructions or provide us a guide how to make Leopard work on a Virtual machine (I'm using VMware 7.0 on Win7)? I tried to follow guides found on the internet but couldn't make it work on my Dell Inspiron 1501.

Please tell me which edition to use and what settings to make for the virtual machine/virtual bios, and even what patches to install. Thanks a lot!!

Please help someone...!!!!

• 6 months later...

My GF just gave me her old 1501, with a built in sempron. I used a combination of your guide and This one to install Leo4all into a VM. The leo4all dvd would not boot because of the sata problem.

My only question is now is, how do i get it to boot natively instead of in a VM when i turn the pc on? Or even how do i get a choice between windows and osx86. At the moment i just get windows boot up every time.

My GF just gave me her old 1501, with a built in sempron. I used a combination of your guide and This one to install Leo4all into a VM. The leo4all dvd would not boot because of the sata problem.

My only question is now is, how do i get it to boot natively instead of in a VM when i turn the pc on? Or even how do i get a choice between windows and osx86. At the moment i just get windows boot up every time.

Fixed it using easyBCD...=D

Now the only problem is, it sees the wireless card. finds networks etc just wont connect to them even with the correct password.

• 5 months later...

Hi to all,

i have inpiron 1501

My Hardware:

CPU: Mobile DualCore AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-50 1.6 ghz

MotherBoard: Dell Inspiron 1501

Chipset: ATI Radeon Xpress 1150 (Bad thing with this dell machine)

3 gb of ram (i had aspire 5313 and upgraded the ram of that usin same)

Audio: SigmaTel STAC9200 @ ATI SB600

HD: samsung (500 GB, 5400 RPM, SATA)

i sm using iDeneb_v1.6_1058_Lite_Edition. though no sound because i have to patch yet, just installed and checked. good thing is it is clean install without vmware.

i have just stepped towards mac and using windows too that is dual boot. soon i will install ubuntu (inside the windows). so end would be windows 7 + ideneb (mac) + ubuntu (linux). using easyBCD for dual boot.

Today (1 dec 2010) i patched for sound and it is working now also the graphics working good.

(sorry for bad english).