Test drive iWork 08 now!

EFI

23 posts in this topic

If only the same could be said for iLife....but Apple made iWork 08 ready for a 30 day trial spin:

Ready to try iWork ’08?

First let’s see if it’s already on you hard drive.

To find out, look in the Applications folder on your Mac. If you don’t find an iWork ’08 folder there or if you find an earlier version of iWork, don’t worry. You can download iWork ‘08 right now—for free. Just click Get iWork ‘08, and it will quickly download into the Applications folder on your Mac.

And yes, that is indeed a typo ("...folder on you Mac...") on Apple's site.

The trial includes the new Pages, Keynote, as well as Numbers. The servers are getting slammed today just after Jobs' keynote, as demonstrated by extremely slow download speeds, however and hour later, they were back up to decent rates (300Kb/s).

Download iWork 08 trial (469MB)

You can reset the trial (after 30 days) by deleteing /Library/Preferences/com.apple.iWork08.plist .

EDIT: As far as I know, bypassing an ineffective copy protection (which this basically is) is not illegal under copyright laws.

EDIT: This file doesn't show up until you start up an iWork app for the first time and start the trial period.

oh balls, I just ordered iWork today, lol! Oh well, downloading now, lets see if what I'm getting is a viable MS Office replacement

-Ed

Eh, I ordered it too. I ain't messing with stealing a cheap piece of heavily used software.

As far as Office for Mac, it runs circles around it. Office for Windows? Not even close yet. (Why does FileMaker have to suck so much?)

You can reset the trial (after 30 days) by deleteing /Library/Preferences/com.apple.iWork08.plist .

EDIT: As far as I know, bypassing an ineffective copy protection (which this basically is) is not illegal under copyright laws.

Hmmm.. I just installed the trial and I can't find com.apple.iWork08.plist anywhere in my system. Could it be that this was changed from 06 to 08?

i installed using pacifist on 10.4.9 with no problem

Did you install all of the packages in the metapackage (iLifeMediaBrowser.pkg and those two frameworks) or just the main iWork package?

I must say, I am throroughly impressed by Numbers. Now I can say good bye to Microsoft Office for good. I've used Office 07 for Windows....and Numbers still blows away excel. The only way in excel looks better now is in serious macro variable operating functions....which...err....98% of the users don't know how to use, because its so advanced. For the basic, as well as high end spreedsheet work (which includes working with formulas)...I think Excel for Mac just met its killer.

From what I'm hearing, the trial is the same; that is, fully-featured, as what you'd get if you bought the full version.

Which, if true, represents quite a feat, given that iWork '08 is only in the realm of ~680MBs when installed - a far cry from the ~1.5GBs iWork '06 took up. Kudos to Apple for the shrinking of the suite, how ever it's done.

Shux... doesn't work on my 10.4.8 Hackintosh. Requires 10.4.10 at least to install. ;)

work, because it works here in my crappy sse2/10.4.8/unQECI installation and should works fine for you too.

but you have to do something before start install and using.

check here how install in 10.4.8 or 10.4.9:

link

imagem1qy2.th.png

Pages is also awesome...and I'm now planning to completely uninstall Office 04 for Mac. Keynote blows away Powerpoint by a mile. Again, when you are presenting, individuals will be looking at how the presentation looks...not how many macros you have set to automate the presentation...and in this case, Keynote totally is better than Powerpoint. The new keynote has a few new themes, and slide transitions, but I think the star of the new iWork is definately Numbers.

I am also impressed that the entire full version suite is less than 500MB. Like Aeden said...iWork 06 was 1.5Gb, which means iWork 08's filesize is 70% smaller than iWork 06...at the same time offering increased features. Kudos to Apple on that one.

Yeah Excel, and the rest of Office for that matter, is crazy deep on the ability to program in it. I personally have, though not lately. But pegging it at 2% of users that come anywhere close to using the depth of that ability, even indirectly by using something that someone else that does for them, is likely generous. I've been out of it long enough that the bits that I do do I just use the Record feature and then hack those bit togeter from there.

There is something to be said for putting together decent spreadsheets, documents, and slideshows using software that you've got a hope in hell of getting you head entirely around. KISS. In some ways it seems Microsoft has gone the route of bulk to try justify selling upgrades at the price they are charging. $80 + KISS = hitting the thick part of the market. It'll do well, especially if iWork is able to exchange data easily with that %2 or so of folks that actually use all of Office.

I know iWork and iLife are in part tempters to bring people to the Mac platform but Apple deserve congratulations for keeping the price of these suites within the realms of sanity and reason. Part of the Apple 'thing' is about coolness, coolness and function. How cool is someone who uses pirate copies at this price level. Not very! That's got to be a {censored} feeling. Hopefully some of Apple's rivals will be feeling a little embarrassed about the price of some of their products. Rare to see common sense in the paid-for software industry. And is there anything sexier than Apple's packaging? Well, sure there is, but... There is hope for the productivity software industry yet! Nice one Steve and co. Big thumbs up. ;)

Now, about the questionable styling of the new iMacs...