41 members have voted

1. 1. GNOME or KDE

• GNOME
    • KDE
  2. 2. Ubuntu or Kubuntu

• Ubuntu
    • Kubuntu

29 posts in this topic

I know almost nothing about Linux but I've heard a lot about Ubuntu and how popular it is. Some of my relatives even use Ubuntu so i've been thinking of giving it a shot. The thing is I don't know whether to go for Ubuntu or Kubuntu. I think they use different Window Managers (?) or something like that.

So what would you guys recommend in general GNOME or KDE and more specifically for my situation Ubuntu or Kubuntu?

Kubuntu does look a little more attractive as an interface but that may just be a theme that's making me think that. Also I've read it's possible to switch from GNOME to KDE even after you've installed Ubuntu and vice-versa. Does this tend to mess up your system or is it safe? And newbie proof?

KDE & Kubuntu

In all reality, it's all Ubuntu. KDE and GNOME are just packages (really big ones) that are installed on top of the base Ubuntu system. So pick one, and if you don't like it you can switch.

To install KDE: sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

To install GNOME: sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

And for kicks, to install XFCE: sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

Whenever you do this, it installs the environment and a whole bunch of programs that go with it. For example, when you install kubuntu-desktop you get KDE and a whole bunch of programs starting with K. (Konsole, Kaffeine, Konqueror, etc etc etc.)

And you're not bound to one or the other. As long as you have the HDD space (about a gig or so for each environment), you can have as many as you want. You pick and choose from the login screen, under the Sessions option.

ErBiC

A huge about of great info for someone who's starting like me so thanks. I just want to make sure I'm understand everything.

And for kicks, to install XFCE: sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
Firstly do you type it in Terminal in Linux? And also what does this XGCE do, another environment?

you can have as many as you want.
When you say as many as you want it sounds like you can have several environments installed at the same time and possibly running too (which is odd). I assumed you can only install and use one at a time.

AllOutMacsToday

Isn't that Kubuntu?

kde with ubuntu

Ditto. AmaroK is nice.

Yes, type them into terminal. All your OSX terminal skills will apply in the Linux world as well.

XFCE is a "lightweight desktop enviroment" . Looks like it runs on OSX as well.I've never used it before.

ErBiC

A huge about of great info for someone who's starting like me so thanks. I just want to make sure I'm understand everything.

Firstly do you type it in Terminal in Linux? And also what does this XGCE do, another environment?

Yes, it goes in the Terminal (or Konsole, or whatever the one you're using is called). XFCE is another desktop environment; it's based on GNOME but is more lightweight so it can run faster on lesser hardware. I kinda like it, actually.

When you say as many as you want it sounds like you can have several environments installed at the same time and possibly running too (which is odd). I assumed you can only install and use one at a time.

You can have several environments installed at the same time, but you only use/run one at a time. You can pick which one at the login screen.

AllOutMacsToday

Isn't that Kubuntu?

[hijack] Probably, but it could be Ubuntu with the kubuntu-desktop package installed. Muahahaha. :D [/hijack]

EDIT: Blah, patato beat me to some of that. Oh, well.

Almost every Terminal command you've used in OS X can be used unaltered in Linux. And in BSD. And in just about every other UNIX-based OS out there. :)

I went for KDE and Kubuntu,

As for the reasons why, it's actually pretty simple for me... I just can not stand the GNOME desktop manager, it gets on my nerves, plus I feel KDE is a more fully featured desktop manager package.

As for why Kubuntu, it's a variation of Ubuntu, but with the KDE desktop manager as default - which makes it easier for Linux newbies to use if they're not competent with terminal commands. Plus of course, you can use any of the Ubuntu packages, as they are built on the same frameworks as such.

~mac.nub

It all depends on you. KDE is a bit more similar to the Windows way than Gnome is. It is also easier to get a menu bar like the Mac's on KDE. I very much enjoy KDE as a system, though it does have a few flaws. I'm not a fan of Konqueror as a file browser. Actually, that's my biggest problem. I just don't like the way Konqueror draws the desktop. I prefer Nautilus (which comes with Gnome) a lot more. But that's just my personal preference. Gnome is a bit simpler, as KDE has a lot more options up front. I'd say, download Ubuntu, see what it's like, figure what you like, and what you don't like about it, then open your terminal, and type sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop. This will install the Kubuntu applications and whatnot, then when you restart, you can choose to boot into Gnome or KDE.

WOULD EVERYONE STOP WITH BASING EVERYTHING ON UBUNTU!?!?!?!

I know that when you say "everyone" you mean me. Well, I have explained everywhere why I believe that Ubuntu is sh#t, but if necessary I'll do it again.

As to KDE they keep improving it seriously all the time. Can you tell me what meaningful improvements Gnome has had from one version to the next?

Hell, Debian default DE is Gnome, and yet they spend more time for KDE, also because every new Gnome release is buggy as hell and it needs quite some time before it becomes reliable.

no when i say everyone i mean all the thing only for ubuntu. compiz fusion for an example (dont know if its for other distros yet) also i think debian or SUSE would be a good first distro. debian is not very hard and SUSE is nice. i havnt really tried it because it likes to slug on my hardware but the GRUB and bootscreen is nice :wacko:

no when i say everyone i mean all the thing only for ubuntu. compiz fusion for an example (dont know if its for other distros yet) also i think debian or SUSE would be a good first distro. debian is not very hard and SUSE is nice. i havnt really tried it because it likes to slug on my hardware but the GRUB and bootscreen is nice ;)

OK :censored2:. You are right, SUSE needs a pretty powerful computer. Certain things, especially package management, should improve with 10.3. Package management has been a bit of a mess with 10.1 and 10.2, but I mainly use smart.

Indeed Debian is very rewarding, if you are willing to learn a bit more (not a lot)

When I have more time I want to write a couple of how-tos, making SUSE and Debian easier to new users.

If I had to choose between those two I would preffer KDE. Was running KDE and larswm on my local PC and Gnome on my Laptop (both on Ubuntu). However, I recently switched to Enlightment (e17) on both the Computers. That's way the coolest wm I ever saw.

I recomend those pages:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Ebuntu (e17 on ubuntu)

http://www.elivecd.org/ (debian live cd with e17)

Can someone clarify something for me please. I assumed

Ubuntu + KDE = Kubuntu (exactly) or

Kubuntu + GNOME = Ubuntu

Excluding the fact you have both desktop environments installed and can move back an forth.

What I'm trying to work out is Ubuntu + KDE any different from Kubuntu? If so how?

Yes, they are the same bases, we will call it *buntu.

the package kubuntu-desktop will install KDE

the package ubuntu-desktop will install GNOME

Ubuntu + KDE will leave you with GDM

Kubuntu + GNOME will leave you with KDM

I am a newbie to this but I have just tried both Ubuntu and Kubunto but after installing Kubunto I have choosen to stay with that. Again as many people have said they are both the same base but different desktops.

I prefered Kubuntu desktop (KDE) but still like features from Ubuntu (Gnome) so just installed Gnome on Kubuntu.

Its just a personal preference.