What don't you like in Leopard?

Jvpiter

21 posts in this topic

-Transparent Menu Bar: Whats the point? How does that Aid in computing?? At least the Aero Task bar looks really smooth and clean because its blured and colored.

-New Folders: I dont mind them, but I dont really like the black dots all over them

-Lack of advanced resolution independence.

-Why isnt Calibri the main font??! It looks great in Vista and Office 07, Apple should liscense it somehow.

-Gray Finder skin: =S The metal looked kind of cool, maybe something more oringinal and glossy would have been cool.

A question: Since the Menubar, Dock and icons have changed, can the OS X GUI still be called aqua??

1) The fact that there is no 'Top Secret' features.

2) The transparent menu bar.

3) The new gray skin just suck.

i'm thinking the "top secret" feature was the new Finder w/ Cover Flow and quickview, but that didn't really surprise anybody. Most people anticipated a new Finder anyway, and Quickview has been known for a while from the previous alpha builds.

I am mostly disappointed with the GUI. I thought that Apple would come off with something completely new/innovative (like in the past), with 3D features (not like the Cover Flow file display option within windows) and not only some minor changes. I hope at least that they let users decide whether they want to have the transparent menu bar or the so-called "3D-Dock" (come on, does the fact that the left and right borders are not rectangular mean it is three-dimensional? It would be, if the angle of the borders changed when hovering over the Dock or adding/removing icons to it, thus changing its size).

Spaces. What is so revolutionary about Spaces what existing third-party utilities can't already do and even go beyond waht we have seen at WWDC (3D-animated effects when changing the Virtual Desktop)?

I think many users would want to stick with a "flat" Dock and the menu bar as we know it now (if you want you can make it transparent now - so not really an innovation, either).

I am also disappointed that Leopard will apparently not have full NTFS read/write support and that ZFS seems not to be coming (though I never thought it would replace HFS+ as the standard file system).

In short terms, I thought Leopard would be more of a revolution than an upgrade of Tiger. Maybe the revolution will come with 10.6 (I wonder if they will go all the way through until OS 11 - which would be released like in 2012 if the release intervals stay the same).

I don't want to bash Leopard before it has been released, I still hope that we'll see some surprises (since Steve presented us only ten out of 300 new features).

3D GUI? Hell no! We get enought "OSX IS TEH VISTA NOW!!!1" complains because of a traslucent menu bar, I don't even dare to think what kind of whining we'd hear if Apple came out with a GUI with 3D translucent Windows that collaps when minimized.

I am also disappointed that Leopard will apparently not have full NTFS read/write support and that ZFS seems not to be coming (though I never thought it would replace HFS+ as the standard file system).

I'm sure it won't be there but I don't think Apple stated it won't be supported.

ZFS as non-boot volume is coming anyway, even if read-only (if I'm not mistaken).

- menu bar looks like ass with that wallpaper so I bet it looks like ass with most photo backgrounds

- grey is too dark, looks retro, and not a good retro

- folders look like some amateur crapjob from those free icon sites and clash with the superb quality of the other icons for programs.

- there appears to be a faint and odd blue dot under a program to show its open in the dock

Im thinking apple fired their design team. There hasnt been a single design update to any computer in years and the things that are new in OS X mostly look like {censored}.

- there appears to be a faint and odd blue dot under a program to show its open in the dock

I think thats a welcome change. Stardocks Object Dock for Windows can either do the orb/whatever to signify an active program, or they can display taskbar items to the left like on the Mac. The only disadvantage of the orb is that you loose live previews, other than that I like it better.

i am surprised at the number of people who don't like the new finder.... i think it will be of great use to many people. i can see it being really quite intuitive and useful!

i can't say i love the new folders, but i dont hate them.... surely someone will find a way to change them soon enough.

the grey isn't amazing, i think the metal was probably a nicer look, but again it isn't horrible imo.

and yah while i dont know that you can call the transparent bar and the funky dock revolutionary, things have to progress, even if its wut people call not as good. hopefully they will keep the flat dock and the white menu bar as an option (maybe with the old folders as well.....) but again it doesn't look anything as hideous as xp or some parts of vista.

i think the most important thing of all is that leopard is still leopard. it is still mac os x, it is still way better than windoze... ane besides with the functionality updates i think os x will still remain to be the best commercial os is the world.

i am surprised at the number of people who don't like the new finder.... i think it will be of great use to many people. i can see it being really quite intuitive and useful!

I haven't tried it yet but so far it looks nice to me, surely better than the old one.

i can't say i love the new folders, but i dont hate them.... surely someone will find a way to change them soon enough.

You can be sure that CandyBar and similar software will support Leopard as it retails.

Yeah.. the folders really look like {censored}. They need to fix that. I like the dock, and transparent bar on top. I think that stuff adds a nice touch. I just finished installing.. so thats what I have so far. But yeah.. the folders are really bad. They need to change that.

I find it strange that some icons are glossy like glass, and some are dull like unpolished, un-glazed low-grade ceramic (the folder icons).

Now that Leopard unified their window theme, why not unify the icon theme too?

And then, as for the transparency, I would like to rant that people keep saying that Leopard copied Vista, whereas when Vista came out, they said that Windows Aero was copying Mac OS X Panther. well, if Apple is copying something that was copied from their own software, ultimately they are copying themselves, in the process known as "improving". I actually quite like the transparent menu bar, contrary to popular opinion.

As for the dock, I love it but I don't see how that is going to reserve the edge of the screen.