Apples worst idea - drop the Mac Mini

86 posts in this topic

I ment to according to this:

Well this isn't a surprise for me. I mean the Mac Mini is nice, but always seems to be falling behind somewhere. From the 256 meg models, to the next Powerpc models with to few usb ports and no audio input. Then onto Intel, you have he Solo and the Duo, then two different duos and STILL no ram upgrade. *shakes head* I had a 1.25 G4 with 512 ram, but it is a model that is so good in some areas, but lacking in others. I don't hate the Mac Mini at all, but if Apple ade it a model that was up to date, then it would not be on the chopping block (hypothetically till official).

A small tower like in the image is needed with 2 things:

* Upgradable Ram

* PCI Ex Slot

Then you could have a nice Apple that is upgradable and can grow, but not kill your pocket. I hope that IF the Mini is gone and small tower comes.

Why buying a small Apple Tower with maybe reduced upgrade options when a hackintosh is much cheaper and more expandable. If you want to have an Apple-like design, look at mine or buy an empty G5-case on ebay, there sometimes to find on ebay. Who needs a small size, there're maybe some working Mini-ITX-boards out there. But upgrading is then problematic too. The cube isn't everyones thing, I don't like it. Was Apple continiung to cube style? No. They won't also release a desktop computer in these times anymore. Today's standards are Tower, Laptop or small (desktop-style) HTPCs for the living room.

For all who want to have a nice Apple Logo for their towers, click here. Best print on matte transparent self-adhesive foil with a laser printer or in a copy-shop. So you'll get a little color adaption to your original tower case color. Important: The document is made for DIN A4 (European format), if you print on US letter or others make sure the page isn't fit on this format size.

MayMac8myPC: In context please.

Who needs a small size, there're maybe some working Mini-ITX-boards out there.

Who needs a small size can create an hackintosh in a small case too. Cubed size is fine, it's your option. But Apple's reacting to the option of the most people, and they want towers.

The Mac Mini was a way to integrate a customer model which has a different look from other customer computers (=towers). But it wasn't maybe working so good as they had expected, so they stopped the project. AppleTV is only a neat looking Set Top-Box like a satellite or cable receiver, but if it will really sell so good, only to have access to the iTunes store and so? Mac-owners could use their computer for this and people who didn't had a Mac before... I'm not sure if they're starting with this. Commodore tried to introduce a new computer design in the 1990's with the Commodore CDTV: An A500-based multimedia computer with CD-ROM and infrared controller in a normal black HiFi-format case. But the people didn't know what to do with it. A computer with CD? In the living room? For what should this be good? Also the Amiga 3000, a great designed computer, flat case, deeper than wide, fully expandable to 4 cards, CPU and video slot, onboard SCSI controller, flickerfixer... for the most Amiga users the most beautiful Amiga ever. But shortly after it Commodore had to introduce the tower version and the A4000 was in a normal-height desktop case again cause a 5,25 slot for the CD-ROM was needed. The Tower version of the Amiga 4000 was better, but the A3000 Tower was a monstrous thing, VERY big and HEAVY... if anyone had to transport such a thing once knows from what I'm talking!

Introducting new computer designs never was easy. Cubes were a lot, Apple's Cube, the NeXT Cube, Draco Cube, i think Sun also had some cubes... The Mac Mini was something new, but for the benefit of the small size you had to give away the expandability. To compare: The CDTV had to the normal external standard connectors (keyboard, mouse, floppy, Audio, MIDI an expansion slot (for SCSI and more) and an Video slot, it was even a genlock available. Internally was another expansion slot and enough space for harddisks and so on. The cases which were accepted were in the 80s and 90s home computer cases with keyboard and maybe floppy cases integrated (C64, Amiga 500, Atari ST etc..) for the consumer people and desktop cases for the business people. During the millenium change the tower case format established for all computers. The small HTPC-format and barebone systems were accepted only maybe about two years ago since the people wanted to have multimedia everywhere in the house.

But nevertheless: I like the Mac Mini and his look. But I would never buy one if I could buy for the same money a full-featured Hackintosh. And it's a great case to build a C64 DTV hack out of it :censored2:

Who needs a small size can create an hackintosh in a small case too.

But Apple's reacting to the option of the most people, and they want towers.

That's just your opinion. Our attorney had to research this for a class action and they found that the majority of mini customers bought it for one of two reasons, price and/or size. Do you seriously think that all of those 'mom and pop' Apple customers are going to go through the hassel of building their own 'home brewed' mini? :thumbsup_anim: That's a totally different market than the mini was (is) aimed at.

Rather than being dropped, I think the Mini needs to be complimented with say, a mATX based box with a mid range Core 2 Duo and a removable PCI-e graphics card.

Going out on a limb here but seeing how iPHONE is due now late fall, maybe (since the mini had cr appy GPU anyway), maybe the new iPHONE will come with a small jack and you buy a $20 cable and hook it up to a monitor. That would be genious.

Still, I think they need, to really get some HUGE market share, a sub $599 unit that has DECENT GPU for current games. Then they will get a lot of marketshare. Maybe something brand new.

I say KEEP the MINI, update to dou core 2 and add some type of ATI Mobile graphics for GREAT GAMING!

they both have upgradable RAM and the PPCs had standard 256mb and the intels have 512MB

No, the later PPC were 512 standard, I know I bought one. Please look up stuff before trying to correct others! :P:(

Upgradeable? NO. To upgrade, you VOIDED your warranty and it wasn't easy to do. You COULD, but the Mini, with the iMac are made to NOT be upgradeable unless you crack them open and many might mess the machine up. Upgradeable is where the design is meant to be opened and upgrading is easy. :)

naquaada, hackintosh isn't the issue here my friend. REAL macs are great and if you was the real thing, a hackintosh isn't it. :D

Rather than being dropped, I think the Mini needs to be complimented with say, a mATX based box with a mid range Core 2 Duo and a removable PCI-e graphics card.

I'd say thats a good idea for the future of the mini.

I think apple ditching the mac mini is dumb, and this is why: The Mac mini is great for A) Consumers who already have displays :thumbsup_anim: But much more importantly, education! A ton of schools already have displays and keyboards/mice so paying 599$ for a mac mini is a good option for them.

People have mentioned replacing the mac mini with a mid range tower, I dont think thats I good idea. Yes, I hate how the iMac and Mac Mini are virtually unupgradeable, but a mid range tower would really hurt iMac sales and make Apple more like HP, Dell, Gateway etc.. All the big brands they try so hard to be different from.

To upgrade, you VOIDED your warranty

It sounds good on paper but people never really ran into this. I know plenty of people who added their own memory or added bluetooth,etc. Supposedly at that point they 'lost' their warranty, but if they ever had to bring their unit in to be worked on all they had to do was switch the memory back again, or remove the bluetooth and Apple was none the wiser.

hackintosh isn't the issue here my friend. REAL macs are great and if you was the real thing, a hackintosh isn't it.

Yep, couldn't agree more. A hackintosh will never be like a real Mac, anymore than a kit-car will be like a Corvette :thumbsup_anim:

Again erei33, the Mini is great but with them always behind in the specs of other macs, it hurts them. They are STILL 512 megs ram standard and that is pathetic. The mini is a great machine and if they are axed and I can find a core duo cheap, then I will get one. Would hold me over for a while. But still, whatever comes they need to keep all the macs up to the same standards in memory and chips.

Again erei33, the Mini is great but with them always behind in the specs of other macs, it hurts them. They are STILL 512 megs ram standard and that is pathetic.

Thats pathetic be it on a Mac, a Dell or any other new system. There really isnt much you can do with 512 MB RAM, as far as modern multitasking goes. I can see where your coming from, but if the Mini was upgraded to a 2.0 Ghz Core 2 duo and 1 GB RAM how would you feel?

I think a lot of people also use it to try out owning a mac. When I got my fist mac I didn't want to pay $1600 for something decent and then find out I didn't like OSX or something. I bought a mini because it was relatively cheap. I think that Apple would see a significant drop in switchers if they got rid of the mini.

This is exactly how I feel. They might not have great margins on the mini itself, but are they considering that many people may start out with a mini as their first Mac because it's cheap, then move up to an iMac a year or two later? I think they would be making a huge mistake to drop it, especially if the other rumor is true about them dropping the 17" iMac. As others have mentioned, the mini is also great for a car-PC, and other projects. That's probably not a huge part of their sales, but I'm sure a lot of people who buy them have size as one of their reasons for choosing the mini.

Core 2 Duo and 1 gig? Kick ass! But again, Apple isn't doing it! :thumbsup_anim:

MyMac8MyPC that situation is ridiculous to me, and I am a computer scientist/system admin. When I upgrade I don't want to downgrade for maintenance. I know many did it, but again TRUE upgrade ability without being penalized is what is needed.

TRUE upgrade ability without being penalized is what is needed.

I'm not disagreeing with you per se, I'm just pointing out that Apple had no real way to enforce when people upgraded their minis so it was basically mute :P I think Apple chose to keep the mini non-upgradable because it was geared toward beginners, mom and pops, Mac newbees, etc. and they didn't want these type of people messing up their product and then blaming Apple for it down the line. Besides, making the mini upgradable would have added size, cost and weight, and their goal was to make it as inexpensive as possible and fit on a key-chain ;)

I think we need the mac mini to be upgradeable. if that was so, i would buy it any day. like 5-10 graphics cards to choose from. ATI/Nvidia. it would be perfect desktop for myself. Upgradable chipsets. Easy case opener. I have a huge suspion mac mini updates have not been done yet is cause thier is some crazy new thing like mac mini or huge update! Mac Mini Pro!

Mac Mini Pro!

From your post to Gods ears (or in this case Steve Jobs) ;)

What I don't understand is that since Apple needs to gain more market share you'd think they would come out with something like this. They must do at least some research. They must know that a lot of people would buy one. An upgradable Mac Mini Pro would be a real shot in Apples arm. They sold a ton of minis. Could you image how many more Mac Mini Pros they would sell? ...and yet they protect the iMac (which isn't even one of their best sellers). Go figure :P

Agreed. A nice, upgradeable mac would be great to push into Walmarts and then you would see macs take off. The mini wouldn't be good, because it is SO bare. I think a new model, completely not the mini, with memory card readers and such then it would appeal to everyday users and such. Plus they need to put the modem in it because the droves of pcs out there have modems standard.

Look what I found! :tomato: On August 4, 2006 Apple filed for a patent having to do with a new cubed style computer and a new technology. It was awarded to Apple on May 24, 2007 (just a few days ago). I also learned that not only is the mini going away, but also probably the low end iMac. A new headless model in two flavors will take their place (both upgradable). Price points are said to be around 699 and 1099 accordingly. This all makes perfect sense when you think about it. Apple has incredibly stong laptop sales, but all of their desktops are relatively weak. This would fix that in a strong way! Apples goal is said to be "to offer a system balanced between the size of the Mac mini and flexibility of the Mac Pro." The new units would also have a case that would have two removable panels, allowing for access to the inside for things like hard drives, memory, fan and multiple expansion cards. Now before anyone gets too excited let me say that until Apple actually releases this it is still technically speculation. However, the fact that Apple already filed for the patents, and that the patent fixes all of the old cubes flaws, plus all the rumors about the mini/imac going bye-bye certainly points towards a very strong possibility that this will become a reality soon. Could this be a reason why Leopard was held back? Imagine Apple releasing the new Leopard, the new iPhone and this new cube all at the same time. Now that sounds like something that Apple would do. While I still love the mini (and always will) I must say that I'm very excited about the strong possibility of a new cube design coming soon. I think I'll start saving up for my new Mac now :hysterical:

post-101311-1180464956_thumb.jpg

Holy hell. That is awesome, though on that site I can't see anything due to what we have to block here. Well this, TO ME at least, confirms this. A mid sized puppy is what is needed. I don't know the jump in prices from $699 to $1099 (where did you see this?) but I guess more ram and {censored}? I guess the lower model you have to add a nicer video card etc etc etc. Hmmm, would be nice to get one of those with nice ram and such and then add a video card.