Apples worst idea - drop the Mac Mini

86 posts in this topic

Well this, TO ME at least, confirms this. A mid sized puppy is what is needed.

I don't know what the size of the old cube was, but the new one is said to be very similar the mini. I guess Apple noticed how many people bought the mini based on size :tomato:

I don't know the jump in prices from $699 to $1099

It's basically just like what they're doing now with the mini, a stripped down entry version (with a smaller processor) and a higher end loaded version. From what I understand a person will be able to buy either version, and then add options to it (just like with the Mac Pro) or upgrade it later in time. If this is true then Apple has hit a bullseye :hysterical:

Next month is WWDC. Perhaps then, an upgradeable Intel Cube Apple will release in it's place. :thumbsup_anim:

I'd snag that in a second. I love the G4 Cube.

Look what I found! :) On August 4, 2006 Apple filed for a patent having to do with a new cubed style computer and a new technology. It was awarded to Apple on May 24, 2007 (just a few days ago). I also learned that not only is the mini going away, but also probably the low end iMac. A new headless model in two flavors will take their place (both upgradable). Price points are said to be around 699 and 1099 accordingly. This all makes perfect sense when you think about it. Apple has incredibly stong laptop sales, but all of their desktops are relatively weak. This would fix that in a strong way! Apples goal is said to be "to offer a system balanced between the size of the Mac mini and flexibility of the Mac Pro." The new units would also have a case that would have two removable panels, allowing for access to the inside for things like hard drives, memory, fan and multiple expansion cards. Now before anyone gets too excited let me say that until Apple actually releases this it is still technically speculation. However, the fact that Apple already filed for the patents, and that the patent fixes all of the old cubes flaws, plus all the rumors about the mini/imac going bye-bye certainly points towards a very strong possibility that this will become a reality soon. Could this be a reason why Leopard was held back? Imagine Apple releasing the new Leopard, the new iPhone and this new cube all at the same time. Now that sounds like something that Apple would do. While I still love the mini (and always will) I must say that I'm very excited about the strong possibility of a new cube design coming soon. I think I'll start saving up for my new Mac now :)

Long live the Cube!

Incidentally, Microsoft is also releasing a cube design of their own:

Borg_Cube_002.jpg

Incidentally, Microsoft is also releasing a cube design of their own

...ahhh it's all starting to come together and make sense now...

Steve Jobs always ahead of the curve - plus he's in love with the cubed shape - Borg mothership is also a cubed shape - coincidence? I think not :)

They should start with the windows fanboys. Less gray matter between the ears :blink::D

You just don't get it do you? The windows fanboys are the ones already assimilated. It is just a matter of time before the rest of us are assimilated into the hive and become windows fanboys.

Vista is the best....Vista is original...wow...Vista is the best....all hail Ballmer the leader of the hive ^_^

• 4 weeks later...

At first I didn't want to believe that they were going to get rid of the Mac Mini, but I do believe it now. The straw that broke the camels back for me is that every Apple retailer now has the Mac Mini on sale. I just sold our Mac Mini last week, and hopefully Apple will replace it with something equally cool in October :whistle: