Should we bomb North Korea?

101 posts in this topic

I've never actually met anyone who doesn't like Canada, but what I've noticed about Canadians is that many of them are unreasonably arrogant and ignorant. Which I suppose holds true for every nation. I remember one conversation with a canadian that included the following gem: "The United States is safe only because the Canadian army protects it. If we wanted to, we could conquer your country in a month". LOL.

That was a stupid Canadian. :-)

Anyways, many Americans still hold dear their precious "Manifest Destiny" Wikipedia Entry. :-/ Strange.

That was a stupid Canadian. :-)

Anyways, many Americans still hold dear their precious "Manifest Destiny" Wikipedia Entry. :-/ Strange.

At least we don't have to pay taxes on blank CDs. :hysterical:

I really can't see why the USA and Canada don't get on...

There are loads of reasons for Canada to hate the US, but the other way round.... :hysterical:

To put it simply, every American I know is either stupid, racist, evangelist, sexist, horny all the time or just plain rude and arrogant (and yes, I know quite a few Amercians from various places across the country)

As for Canadians... Well, they seem better educated for a start!

Canada seems like a much more free, liberal and tolerant country.

Sorry if I have offended anyone, but I have only put forward what I have witnessed.

As for Britain, we are far superior.

We have Tesco, Little Chefs, rain, understatement, Nectar Points, CCTV, whiskey, Haggis, Oatcakes, eccentricity, Argos, no bins, the Pound, a lack of GM crops, not enough nuclear power plants, too much water, not enough water, lots of cloud, the Irish, Chelsea Tractors, pot holes, traffic lights, roundabouts, the Welsh, Gaelic and Jonothan Ive.

England also has (to add to your almost completely mis-understandable list) bad breath and bad teeth, many, many ugly people, fairly crappy food overall, completely arrogant people, a sickeningly bloody history full of ignorance and murder, a loosing streak in WWII and Tony Blair. Oh yeah, Margret Thatcher.... eeewwwwwww... and as for the superiority, lol, your country has lost almost everything since you've had it all. You even lost America because you were so bloody ignorant.

We have Tesco, Little Chefs, rain, understatement, Nectar Points, CCTV, whiskey, Haggis, Oatcakes, eccentricity, Argos, no bins, the Pound, a lack of GM crops, not enough nuclear power plants, too much water, not enough water, lots of cloud, the Irish, Chelsea Tractors, pot holes, traffic lights, roundabouts, the Welsh, Gaelic and Jonothan Ive.

:(

Seriously though, I love Britain. If you have lived in Britain for 15 years, you either love it or hate it (or both).

What I did hate (next time I'll tell you what I loved):

The arrogance of the Southerners.

The weather in the North.

Tony Blair (in the last few years of his government).

Rip-off Britain.

Hidden Agendas, I really hate this one.

Specifically, I was referring to the agreement signed between North Korea and the United States (under Clinton) in 1994, where North Korea agreed to freeze and eventually dismantle its Nuclear Weapons program in exchange for international aid (United States led) towards constructing two power-producing nuclear reactors. American Taxpayers have paid a total of 800 million dollars to date towards aid that was re-directed by North Korea. Instead of freezing their nuclear weapons program, they in fact enhanced it, and all because they broke an agreement with the United States that Clinton didn't have the backbone to do anything about.

As for the causes of actual military action against a nation, I believe that North Korea's adamant continuation of nuclear missile testing is certainly an act of aggression. Furthermore, their blatant missile launch (1998) over Japan into the Pacific Ocean, showing that they can strike any part of Japan's Territory, is certainly an act of aggression, and to a United States ally no less. Seriously now, acts of aggression have been committed multiple times. Although we shouldn't just send in 150,000 men to invade North Korea, waiting until a weapon is launched with malicious intent at the United States or one of their allies is sort of stupid.

I've got to question you on this. Because nobody, and I mean nobody, could sanely attempt to compare the negative effects of World War II and the Iraq War. Seriously now, that's just ludicrous. Plus, the WMD's were a justification, if they had actually existed. I still (and call me ignorant if you want), am adamant in the belief that it was simply incorrect intelligence that led to this war. To believe otherwise is to blatantly state that three of the world's superpowers corroborated and falsified intelligence for the war in Iraq. I'm sorry, but that just didn't happen.

It's also very easy to appease real threats. That's exactly what Neville Chamberlain did...

Agreed, preventative wars are to be avoided, but so should waiting for inevitable casualties to arise. We have to find a better balance of things. In an era of Nuclear Weapons, that can singlehandedly wipe out millions of people, reactionary foreign policy is no longer a sure bet. In an earlier period of time, where more obvious warning signs were apparent, and where no military force could singlehandedly destroy a city in a moment's time, then reactionary foreign policy was a success. Again, I'm not supporting all out war against a nation for "preventative measures", but I don't see why a very small preventative strike force wouldn't be beneficial.

Our founding fathers wanted isolationism. In today's post World War II world, we are de-isolated. With all of the modern technology around us, communicating with others across the world is easier and easier. We cannot simply crawl into a hole and disappear, refusing to enter in any foreign-policy measures.

exactly - Norst Korea has broken treaties - also it is still techincally in a state of war with south korea

are you really SERIOUS???

do you know that everybody outside USA hates your country???

sorry, no offense, your government's fault, that's right you've the powerfull army on world, but nothing gives you the right

to behave like world's police.

the social and familiar values in USA are a pity.

the american society is stinky and corrupted.

i know, most americans do not want war against pseudo-terrorist countries (to steal their oil).

common sense says that. you have the power to choose a good and smart goverment, please next time do it in elections.

sorry my english... i'm an american too, but not from USA.

somebody obviously doesn't get around... America may not be popular in Europe, in Asia we're fairly liked however (mainly because we're the major market for chinese and japanese exports) and actually i've met Americans in Europe for jobs, etc who go to Iran for vacation. Iran. Why? Because amoung the youth generation in Iran, America is extremely popular. Also, you may find this hard to believe but many people in Iraq suport the American involvement. And also that war isn't for oil you retarted nitwit. If you looked at a map you would see something. The two contries the US invaded in recent years, Iraq and Afganistan, have one country in between them, Iran. America has planed a revolt in Iran for many years, by having these two fottholds in the area they can ensure success.

I really can't see why the USA and Canada don't get on...

There are loads of reasons for Canada to hate the US, but the other way round.... :(

To put it simply, every American I know is either stupid, racist, evangelist, sexist, horny all the time or just plain rude and arrogant (and yes, I know quite a few Amercians from various places across the country)

As for Canadians... Well, they seem better educated for a start!

Canada seems like a much more free, liberal and tolerant country.

Sorry if I have offended anyone, but I have only put forward what I have witnessed.

And all the Canadians i've met are self-centered {censored}s. and that really says something because 1/4 of my family is Canadian and i know many many many Canadians. and general political offiliation doesnt make a country good.

and as for Brittain, most infirior of all. You are the state America never had and you know it. And stop thinking you own the Irish. If any country has been impirialistic in its history it is Brittain. the cause of the famine in Ireland. All i have to say is FREE NORTH IRELAND!

P.S. - i am personally unworried about a missile strike from North Korea. The US has a many layered defense on the matter, with Agis, THAAD and patriot systems the USA as well as Japan, and i am unsure of what other coutries we have the systems stationed in, are safe.

Japan doesnt have a military - and if your thinking Germany WWII style where they went against the treaty and got a military... well it wont go there A) because its actually in there constitution, B ) the world is more globalized and it would be noticed, and C) they wouldnt go for America because of major trade relations, they have tryed to opt for a pre-emptive strike in North Korea though- which i think they have the right to do because of obvious agression against them. Nobody can doubt this. Not only have missles been fired at them but people have been kidnaped by the North Korean government.

Japan doesnt have a military - and if your thinking Germany WWII style where they went against the treaty and got a military... well it wont go there A) because its actually in there constitution, B ) the world is more globalized and it would be noticed, and C) they wouldnt go for America because of major trade relations, they have tryed to opt for a pre-emptive strike in North Korea though- which i think they have the right to do because of obvious agression against them. Nobody can doubt this. Not only have missles been fired at them but people have been kidnaped by the North Korean government.

Exactly, and not only that, the United States was incredibly smart when negotiating Japan's surrender. In obeying the age old Machiavellian view, the United States had two real options when dealing with Japan. They could've utilized absolutely crippling surrender terms, effectively destroying what was then known as Japan, or they could've been incredibly nice with the treaty terms (which they did), and established a trusted trading partner and political ally. At that point in time, everybody realized the mistake after dealing with Germany (and not crippling them or placating them), and just went with one extreme (the only smart thing to do).

Oh, and North Korea has been way aggressive with Japan. As time goes on, that aggressiveness has increased almost to a point where they're testing the waters to see when the International Community will actually respond. Seriously now, you don't launch a missile over a country and still not call it an act of aggression. I can guarantee you if they had the balls to pull that on us, we would have bombed their ass to the ground before that missile made it over the US and into the Atlantic on the other side. Nobody should have to deal with that kind of threat, especially an ally like Japan.

i agree with wildcat - if missiles were shot over your country, whether you live in the US or not, doesn't matter, guarentied your country would be at war with North Korea. Japan however does not have that option and therefor it is up to the United States to protect her as it is a former US territory and current ally without military options.

i agree with wildcat - if missiles were shot over your country, whether you live in the US or not, doesn't matter, guarentied your country would be at war with North Korea. Japan however does not have that option and therefor it is up to the United States to protect her as it is a former US territory and current ally without military options.

Arrogance aside. Lets stop backwards a moment, and ask WHY would they fire missiles at us?

I would like someone to answer this as a measure of evaluation of the subject matter.

They wouldn't. It would provoke an overwhelming response.

Kim Jong Il may be crazy, and he may have a little button that fires the nukes, but I guarantee there is at least one person who would be in that room who cares enough about himself not to court vaporization.

It reminds me of the Cold War. The US was very afraid of Soviet nuclear attacks and the dubious sanity of their leaders... But the Soviet Union was hysterically terrified of what they perceived to be insane americans with ICBMs.

They wouldn't. It would provoke an overwhelming response.

Kim Jong Il may be crazy, and he may have a little button that fires the nukes, but I guarantee there is at least one person who would be in that room who cares enough about himself not to court vaporization.

It reminds me of the Cold War. The US was very afraid of Soviet nuclear attacks and the dubious sanity of their leaders... But the Soviet Union was hysterically terrified of what they perceived to be insane americans with ICBMs.

True. True. NK wouldn't be that hard to blow off the map. They know this. Like you said. During the cold war, America, and Russia were afraid that we would vaporize the planet to a cinder, and thats why both sides backed down.

Though I do fear, that the US's list of allies lately has grown thin.

As if on cue, major news outlets are reporting that North Korea test fired missiles into the sea of Japan today. Reportedly, they were a response to a recent launching of a new South Korean destroyer capable of destroying aircraft and missiles with greater ease. Regardless of the reason, that kind of blatant hostility should not be tolerated, period. If France, upset over the launching of a new aircraft carrier, launched a test missile into the North Atlantic as a response, I have no doubt that the United States would simply not tolerate it. In reality, nobody should.

Why then, do we stand by, and allow North Korea to engage in such obviously aggressive acts upon our allies?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
That's perfect - you've just summarised the typical American arrogance

What's arrogant about that question? Not knowing why North Korea "fire missiles at us" or admitting he doesn't know?

Is it not a given that eccentric dictators defy rational understanding? I've found myself scratching my head regarding much of the economic and political policies emanating from Pyongyang.

What's arrogant about that question? Not knowing why North Korea "fire missiles at us" or admitting he doesn't know?

Is it not a given that eccentric dictators defy rational understanding? I've found myself scratching my head regarding much of the economic and political policies emanating from Pyongyang.

Sorry, my bad - It was late :)

I'm not calling him arrogant, I'm saying that what he said was perfect