Should we bomb North Korea?

101 posts in this topic

As far as I know, the DPRK and the United States have no treaties... not even peace treaties... and if the DPRK is violating UN resolutions, let the UN do something. There is an armistice, but again, as far as I know, it does not preclude the development of nuclear weapons, only aggression towards south korea, japan and the US.

Maybe you argue that something should be done... that's debatable. But the United States has no legal authority to invade or attack the DPRK because they have nuclear weapons.

Idealy, a peace-loving nation goes to war when cause has been established. Cause being either a declaration of war against the aforementioned peace-loving country or it's allies. In the absense of a declaration of war, an act of aggression would give just cause. The DPRK hasn't made aggressive nuclear moves against any nation. I reiterate again, no one would be allowed to launch nuclear weapons against a nuclear power. Anyone who does so would be obliterated. The DPRK want trade sanctions limited and access to resources. Launching nuclear weapons or selling them to a terrorist is a sure path to a destroyed nation.

Specifically, I was referring to the agreement signed between North Korea and the United States (under Clinton) in 1994, where North Korea agreed to freeze and eventually dismantle its Nuclear Weapons program in exchange for international aid (United States led) towards constructing two power-producing nuclear reactors. American Taxpayers have paid a total of 800 million dollars to date towards aid that was re-directed by North Korea. Instead of freezing their nuclear weapons program, they in fact enhanced it, and all because they broke an agreement with the United States that Clinton didn't have the backbone to do anything about.

As for the causes of actual military action against a nation, I believe that North Korea's adamant continuation of nuclear missile testing is certainly an act of aggression. Furthermore, their blatant missile launch (1998) over Japan into the Pacific Ocean, showing that they can strike any part of Japan's Territory, is certainly an act of aggression, and to a United States ally no less. Seriously now, acts of aggression have been committed multiple times. Although we shouldn't just send in 150,000 men to invade North Korea, waiting until a weapon is launched with malicious intent at the United States or one of their allies is sort of stupid.

What I mean is that we shouldn't go to war without justification - just look where iRaq got us!

I've got to question you on this. Because nobody, and I mean nobody, could sanely attempt to compare the negative effects of World War II and the Iraq War. Seriously now, that's just ludicrous. Plus, the WMD's were a justification, if they had actually existed. I still (and call me ignorant if you want), am adamant in the belief that it was simply incorrect intelligence that led to this war. To believe otherwise is to blatantly state that three of the world's superpowers corroborated and falsified intelligence for the war in Iraq. I'm sorry, but that just didn't happen.

Absolutely agreed. It is very easy to justify aggression to "disarm" potential threats. This is exactly what Hitler did.

The United States should have a powerful military... to protect us. Our nation should never engage in "preventative" wars of aggression. Ever.

The error in our foreign policy is exactly what the founders warned against. Propping up dictators, occupying foreign nations, raping countries for their resources. Trade, not domination.

Instead of flippantly saying "they hate us for our freedom", we should say "they hate us because we constantly interfere in their way of life".

It's also very easy to appease real threats. That's exactly what Neville Chamberlain did...

Agreed, preventative wars are to be avoided, but so should waiting for inevitable casualties to arise. We have to find a better balance of things. In an era of Nuclear Weapons, that can singlehandedly wipe out millions of people, reactionary foreign policy is no longer a sure bet. In an earlier period of time, where more obvious warning signs were apparent, and where no military force could singlehandedly destroy a city in a moment's time, then reactionary foreign policy was a success. Again, I'm not supporting all out war against a nation for "preventative measures", but I don't see why a very small preventative strike force wouldn't be beneficial.

Our founding fathers wanted isolationism. In today's post World War II world, we are de-isolated. With all of the modern technology around us, communicating with others across the world is easier and easier. We cannot simply crawl into a hole and disappear, refusing to enter in any foreign-policy measures.

if we're going to do anything to canada, it should be annexation

are you really SERIOUS???

do you know that everybody outside USA hates your country???

sorry, no offense, your government's fault, that's right you've the powerfull army on world, but nothing gives you the right

to behave like world's police.

the social and familiar values in USA are a pity.

the american society is stinky and corrupted.

i know, most americans do not want war against pseudo-terrorist countries (to steal their oil).

common sense says that. you have the power to choose a good and smart goverment, please next time do it in elections.

sorry my english... i'm an american too, but not from USA.

Oddly enough, even with the corruption in the US government, it's still nowhere near as corrupt as most places.

Hate is a strong emotion. Why waste it on something people can't change.

are you really SERIOUS???

sorry, no offense, your government's fault, that's right you've the powerfull army on world, but nothing gives you the right

i know, most americans do not want war against pseudo-terrorist countries (to steal their oil).

common sense says that. you have the power to choose a good and smart goverment, please next time do it in elections.

And thats why we need Ron Paul in office. You just said everything he has.

Oddly enough, even with the corruption in the US government, it's still nowhere near as corrupt as most places.

Hate is a strong emotion. Why waste it on something people can't change.

Maaaaan. You don't know the 1/2 of it.

http://www.stopthenorthamericanunion.com/

And thats why we need Ron Paul in office. You just said everything he has.

Maaaaan. You don't know the 1/2 of it.

http://www.stopthenorthamericanunion.com/

If you ask me there is way too much flag waving going on, a flag doesn't mean anything, it is colors on fabric. Listen...we are all people, all of us, we should cooperate as people, that is all I have to say.

If you ask me there is way too much flag waving going on, a flag doesn't mean anything, it is colors on fabric. Listen...we are all people, all of us, we should cooperate as people, that is all I have to say.

Its just a piece of paper.

bush_burns_constitution.jpg

Its just a piece of paper.

bush_burns_constitution.jpg

Actually it is just a piece of paper, but the ideas and feelings behind that piece of paper are very important...all I am trying to say is that waving a flag around is useless unless you know WHY you are doing it? Is what I am saying so unreasonable? If people today don't even really know what the constitution is, are you really that surprised that our rights are being taken away? People don't even know that they have them!

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Lack of education seems to be the root of most of our problems...

Actually it is just a piece of paper, but the ideas and feelings behind that piece of paper are very important...all I am trying to say is that waving a flag around is useless unless you know WHY you are doing it? Is what I am saying so unreasonable? If people today don't even really know what the constitution is, are you really that surprised that our rights are being taken away? People don't even know that they have them!

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Lack of education seems to be the root of most of our problems...

You made my point for me.

Your group of high school friends does not constitute the opinion of "everyone". If you think that everyone outside the US hates the US, you need to travel more. You are correct, we do not have the right to act as the worlds police. But I tell you what, if someone came into my house and beat up my kid and stole my stuff, I would have no problem going to their house to return the favor. Your broad generalizations of social and family values are greatly lacking in any real evidence. Back it up with something. Anything. Don't just say our values suck without being specific. The American people do not have the power to choose a good and smart government. We have the ability to select from a very limited pool of resources. The choice of which piece of {censored} smells less bad is hardly a perfect scenario. However, given what some countries have to put up with, I think we have it pretty damn good.

As for North Korea, we should not bomb them... Yet. They are an isolationist society, with little to no relations with any other coutries. Thier imports and exports are closely monitored, and it is very unlikely that a nuclear weapon has a snowballs chance in hell of making out of that country. There are far more threatening possibilities of a nuclear weapon getting out other countries for us to worry about North Korea right now.

The entire idea of a preventative war is just ridiculous. The very name is an oxymoron. Preventative war is still war. The idea that we went to war for oil still confuses me. If that was the case, why am I paying over $3 a gallon? I should have my pool filled with crude oil if that is the idea. Oil prices are still high, and gasoline production is still low. There were (and are) far better reasons for attacking Iraq. Even if oil was part of the agenda, it was low on the list.

And as for Canada, why shouldn't we bomb them? The just sit up there, in thier smug sense of self righteousness and worth, mispronunciating thier words and pretending that letters are actually words rather then sounds. They need a good bombing to put them in thier place. ;)

I don't know why so many Americans on this board have such a hostility toward Canada, it seems to be a popular thing to do these days. They haven't done anything significant to warrant our attitude toward them, so really why do people say things like "Canada needs a good bombing, etc."?

I don't know why so many Americans on this board have such a hostility toward Canada, it seems to be a popular thing to do these days. They haven't done anything significant to warrant our attitude toward them, so really why do people say things like "Canada needs a good bombing, etc."?

Relax man. I am just kidding around. I am just bitter because the Sabres lost to Ottawa on Saturday. I don't really think we should bomb them... Unless they disagree with the annexation :rolleyes:

Relax man. I am just kidding around. I am just bitter because the Sabres lost to Ottawa on Saturday. I don't really think we should bomb them... Unless they disagree with the annexation :rolleyes:

Hehe yeah I know you are kidding, but I dont know, A lot of people I've met don't really like Canada and I have always tried to figure out why.

Well, Canadians are not Americans for one... They aren't European... Or Asian... African... Middle Eastern... Australian... Mexican or Southern American... Or any of those cool island peoples... or Eskimos.... or underwater inhabitants... They're nothing. They're Canadians.

That is too funny!

:(

I think you all forgetting the North American Union, it won't be Canada for long if the NWO has their way.

Hehe yeah I know you are kidding, but I dont know, A lot of people I've met don't really like Canada and I have always tried to figure out why.

Whenever canada comes up in conversation, someone is always dissing on them. Ive been there twice (although I only remember the last time) and it was a really nice trip. I think alot of this has to do with freedom fries, becuase from my understanding, many canadians are of french descent.

I've never actually met anyone who doesn't like Canada, but what I've noticed about Canadians is that many of them are unreasonably arrogant and ignorant. Which I suppose holds true for every nation. I remember one conversation with a canadian that included the following gem: "The United States is safe only because the Canadian army protects it. If we wanted to, we could conquer your country in a month". LOL.