New Gigabyte P35 DS4 Boards are out!

28 posts in this topic

I haven't built my system yet, still have a chance to order a brand new P35 before I tear open the DS3 REV3.3 box this week. Who thinks an OS X install would work with the current 10.4.8/10.4.9 release from JaS?

I'm sure Apple will release something using an ICH9 southbridge in the not too distant future...

Even if they don't, everything important ought to work already; SATA should, at least in AHCI mode, and EHCI USB should do too. Not sure about the Audio, but I'm sure it'll just be a bit of device ID alteration for the new UAA controller. That said, I can't really see the benefit of a DDR2-equipped P35 board over 965 unless it performs much better (and somebody who has P35 boards at the moment, but is under NDA has told me it's not significantly different, not sure whether that means better or worse :happymac:)

As for the others, DDR3 will suck for a year or so yet, while the speed advantage overtakes the latency increase, not to mention the fact that DDR2 already saturates the system bus of an Intel CPU in dual channel mode, so why bother?

Why's he under NDA when they're selling the boards now? Cbit (I think that's the place) has em for sale at 269.99 free shipping.

Yeah, i don't think DDR3 will be worth it for quite some time, and even when it becomes worth it there won't be much reason to shed 4gigs of DDR2-1000 over DDR3.

The Mobo is worth it to me because of it's massive on-board cooling for one, and second, the guarantee of a future with Penryn Yorkfield. I WILL be upgrading as soon as the Native Quads come out, and will be sending my Q6600 to a miniATX setup.

I'm wonderin' if I should go ahead and send back both the SLI DS4 and DS3REV3.3 and just acquire the P35.

BBy the way, sorry, I meant DQ6 -- I'm hooked on DS4 for some reason.

Yeah, he's posted parts of the review now; I think the NDA ended a couple of days ago. AFAIK, the changes made to the BadAxe2 that Intel were running the Penryn demos on were entirely in the VRM, so unless a board promised future CPU support, I can't see why a P35 board is any more likely to support 'em than than anything else at this stage. I would imagine the 945-975 will support retail CPUs fine given the right board (even if they do require different VRM circuitry, companies like ASRock have a habit of creating budget boards based on older chipsets which support new CPUs; look at their current 1333 FSB-rated i945 board and their earlier Core 2 supporting 865 board [which probably annoyed Intel immensely because it did a good job of demonstrating the futility of DDR2])

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys I can confirm that 10.4.9 (using uphuck 1.2) works on a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 :thumbsup_anim: Install went without any problems, only thing not recognized was the onboard sound (Azalia chipset, ALC889A). I will install today using version 1.3 of uphuck's image and let you know ;)

Aqua-Mac confirmed the DQ6 but without sound as well.

CAn someone do a Gigbayte Xbench so I know what the disk activity looks like? Lookin' kinda slow on the Asus board. O_O;

Still, this is great news. Looks like I can upgrade whenever I'm ready.

is there any performances losses in AHCI ? How come it isn't recognized as full 500gb ?

I don't know, I suppose it's because I don't have the ICH9R drivers.

so... as you see I can't compare IDE and AHCI, but in windows has no difference

Change Device ID's, then? I mean, that's basically all you do to get the internet working right in the first place?

Too late, I ordered anyway so all that's left to do is spend a week trying.

Change Device ID's, then? I mean, that's basically all you do to get the internet working right in the first place?

Too late, I ordered anyway so all that's left to do is spend a week trying.

Change the ID device to get work the NIC or the IHC9?.