Marvell Support Effort

mortis

223 posts in this topic

Trying to get the kext working, but kextload throws an error stating that permissions/owner is incorrect. This is after chown and chmod to root:wheel and 777, respectively. Yes, I am running both with their recursive flags and as root. Any ideas?

Did you use -R with chown/chmod? kext are really directories

You could use disk utility to repair the permissions on the disk. Kind of like hitting a fly with a cannon, but likely to work.

Yes.

Its ethernet is only Marvell or is Marvell some thing?

Well you are right, well some.

Marvell do a different products, from Storage trough Switching, Wireless, etc.

here are the page of their products: http://www.marvell.com/products/pcconn/index.jsp

But curiously all the connectivity are Yukon, so If I have a LAN card/onboard chip it is a Yukon, even the kext is named AppleYukon. Here are their GigaBit products: http://www.marvell.com/products/pcconn/yukon/index.jsp

The model of my onboard chip is 88E8053.

Stop using a translator
Is a better way?

EDIT:

Even the Forum board can't handle your username in the QUOTE code.

I would like to specify that there are two generations of Yukon cards. In linux the old driver sk98link was deprecated for the skge driver and now there's a new driver for the second generation Yucon's sky2.

As stated from the linux kernel:

SKGE config comments:

It does not support the link failover and network management

features that "portable" vendor supplied sk98lin driver does.

+ This driver supports adapters based on the original Yukon chipset:

+ Marvell 88E8001, Belkin F5D5005, CNet GigaCard, DLink DGE-530T,

+ Linksys EG1032/EG1064, 3Com 3C940/3C940B, SysKonnect SK-9871/9872.

+

+ It does not support the newer Yukon2 chipset: a separate driver,

+ sky2, is provided for Yukon2-based adapters.

SKY2 config comments:

This driver support the Marvell Yukon 2 Gigabit Ethernet adapter.

+ This driver supports Gigabit Ethernet adapters based on the the

+ Marvell Yukon 2 chipset:

+ Marvell 88E8021/88E8022/88E8035/88E8036/88E8038/88E8050/88E8052/

+ 88E8053/88E8055/88E8061/88E8062, SysKonnect SK-9E21D/SK-9S21

+

+ This driver does not support the original Yukon chipset: a seperate

+ driver, skge, is provided for Yukon-based adapters.

SK98LIN config comments:

Say Y here if you have a Marvell Yukon or SysKonnect SK-98xx/SK-95xx

- compliant Gigabit Ethernet Adapter. The following adapters are supported

- by this driver:

+ compliant Gigabit Ethernet Adapter.

+

+ This driver supports the original Yukon chipset. A cleaner driver is

+ also available (skge) which seems to work better than this one.

+

+ This driver does not support the newer Yukon2 chipset. A seperate

+ driver, sky2, is provided to support Yukon2-based adapters.

+

+ The following adapters are supported by this driver:

- 3Com 3C940 Gigabit LOM Ethernet Adapter

- 3Com 3C941 Gigabit LOM Ethernet Adapter

- Allied Telesyn AT-2970LX Gigabit Ethernet Adapter

I belive that these drivers could be a fine code base to start converting. As I don't follow the BSD world, I'd like to know if there are BSD ports of these drivers. Good luck to all the night coders :)

• 2 weeks later...

i am very interesed in to seen good and working marlvell driver of osx

my yukon (88E8053) *works* with AppleYukon.kext but work like {censored} !

i will help in all mean to anyone serioz here want devloper yukon driver for osx

ok ppl, I've just coded a preliminary driver for marvell 88e8001, ripping of a linux driver (skge).

I'm currently writing from MAC OSX (and just found out that safari sucks), downloaded several gigabytes of data (from a 10mbs fibre broadband linkup I get a stable 980kbytes/sec which is very good) and it's still working without panics. I'm surprised as I'm not a C/C++ programmer (I'm not even a programmer, just an hobbist), it's my first driver and I've never coded under *nix or similars.

By preliminary I mean that some stuff such as jumbo frames, promiscuous mode and multicast are not implemented yet.

If you ppl are still interested, then I need 3/4 beta testers with a marvell 88e8001 (VendorID:0x11ab DeviceID:0x4320)

here are the rules

1- don't bother me

2- don't bother me

3- don't bother me (I don't have time)

4- beta testers need to have a marvell 88e8001 (NO OTHER CHIPS!)

5- beta testers need to be active osx86 forumers (ideally moderators) that know how to install a kext and will not ask stupid questions

6- I WILL NOT answer to PM or stupid questions (see points 1,2 and 3)

7- I will release complete sources after this early tests, but if you want CHIP XYZ whatever supported you'll have to code it yourself (see points 1,2 and 3)

now I'm off to bed. tomorrow I'll send the kext to the selected beta testers.

g'night

ps: thanks to planetbeing and tuxx for releasing their stuff - it was very helpful!!

Hi musashi and welcome to the forum! We need more people like you! hopefully you can also be helpful to _np making a better driver for 8053 too.

I have a 88e8001 waiting for your kext, proud to test it out :)

- I will not bother.

- I know how to mess around with kexts.

- I will perform all the tests you need me to.

Im glad someone has a go at this. You see... I really hate my crappy realtek pcmcia hanging on one side of my laptop :D

Mmm... maybe spoke too soon.

I lost contact with my router and had to reboot. Network's back online, I will try to reproduce it again. How can I log the error if I already have the kext loaded?

PD: I was websurfing + downloading torrent using tomato intel client.

PD2: Yep, I can reprocuce it doing just the same thing again. It looses contact with my cable router. Network diagnostic says net config is fine and iternet provider is failing.

Mmm... maybe spoke too soon.

I lost contact with my router and had to reboot. Network's back online, I will try to reproduce it again. How can I log the error if I already have the kext loaded?

PD: I was websurfing + downloading torrent using tomato intel client.

PD2: Yep, I can reprocuce it doing just the same thing again. It looses contact with my cable router. Network diagnostic says net config is fine and iternet provider is failing.

please, after failure

run dmesg from terminal

copy and send me the "skgeosx:" messages

thanks

EDIT: trying to replicate but can't - currrently downloading 2 torrents with tomato, 1 torrent with transmission and 3 files with safari ... and posting here - I need the log

I also have an 8001 that i could use to test. Interestingly enough, i also have been working on writing this driver. I have gone as far as mapping the registers and creating the structs i would need, but Im currently looking over other OSX network drivers to figure out exactly how OSX does ethernet cards. Anyway, I would love to beta test, but I also am anxiously awaiting the source to help me in my own endeavors. Ultimatly, i would like to compleltly port the skge linux driver so that it works for all yukon chipsets. I have heard of many people having problems with AppleYukon, even for those that have a supported chipset. So, let me know if i can help in anyway, wether it be beta-testing or whatever.

-SaberX