Fios from Verizon...

29 posts in this topic

The whole Speed Test topic got me thinking....

I think I'm gonna switch to Fios tomorrow. If there is any reason I should not, please let me know. A freind of mine said it was really as fast as they say it is. You can see my speed test results below. Not terrible, not great either.

103071127.png

Is there a catch? Do they have any bandwidth limitations or anything? I've read some very good reviews in magazines...

Anybody got any pros or cons? (preferably from NY)

B) I saw them out there installing...

The 15 Mb down, and 2 Mb up is a great deal and value, if only they would put it in my area -even though like 2 blocks down they have it.

The upload speed is great for *cough* torrenting *cough* to improve your ratio. Although I heard Verizon blocks port 80 so you would need to make a port 80 webhop if you ever want to create your own webserver.

Verizon also gives you free usenet accounts (one for each email with a limit of 2 GB per account) -This is why I love roadrunner cable because they give my free unlimited uncensored usenet access.

So basically fiber is the way of the future, and everyone who I know has it is satisfied. You might also get a special deal if you go with Fios TV as well.

Wow, I'd like to be in the area were the 30mb/5mb package was $55/month were I live. That's one heck fo a deal in the US.

By the way, what do you have now (ISP, conection type)? If you have cable, then you also need to look at what you use your connection for to decide which would be the better option.

As fast as it is, i heard it has a high latency. :-/. So probably not that great for servers of any sort. Also, when you think about it, you can have the fastest internet in the world, but if the webserver cant meet your bandwidth, your downloads, realistically, will just be a little faster than cable, if not the same.

i live dead center in the middle of hickland (aka indiana), most people here havnt heard of windows xp, os x or dsl. i bet it will be a while before this is avalible for me

My dad basically chased the Verizon people off the lawn with a stick when they asked to install some underground fiber optics. It's especially weird because we've all been waiting for FiOS to come to our neighborhood. I guess he was just having a bad day and didn't need the aggravation.

I'd be happy with the 5mbs connection. Optimum Online sucks.

BTW: I saw a package deal for Verizon digital phone, FiOS TV, and FiOS internet all-in-one for about $100. Now I can't find it anywhere for some reason. Does anybody know where it is on the Verizon site?

Hopefully it will be hitting the midwest soon, all I have is overpriced Comcast.

My dad recently upgraded to FiOS from Verizon, and he says it's a lot faster than his old DSL service. I guess it depends on a few things here and there, but otherwise, he says it's pretty snappy.

As fast as it is, i heard it has a high latency. :-/. So probably not that great for servers of any sort. Also, when you think about it, you can have the fastest internet in the world, but if the webserver cant meet your bandwidth, your downloads, realistically, will just be a little faster than cable, if not the same.

I suppose if you're running a game server that could be a problem, but I have FiOS, and I run a webserver, and it works just fine, although there is a fairly small userbase, so I don't know how well a server would hold up to lots of people using it. But my friends who use it all get a fast connection. I can stream music and flv movies of fairly decent quality with no problems, as well as use it as a proxy.

I got a guy in one of my classes that just upgraded to FIOS for 39 bucks a month and he loves and brags so freakin much. I also know he is running a webserver from his house which was his main reason for switching early. Apparently it works great and like I said he brags so freakin much.

I'm mainly wanting to switch because of those upload speeds.

IF torrenting was important to me...(hypothetically) I might have to spend many nights using electricity seeding all night long.

I'm hoping (hypothetically) that with Fios crazy fast upload speeds (if I was interested in torrents) I could have seeding capabilities so fast that I wouldn't have to repeatedly leave my stuff on all night.

Does this make sense? Is it really as fast as they claim for uploading?

I've found that it is. I'm using the most basic package, and I pretty much always get the 5 megabits up and down promised. The main problem you'll encounter is that other sites or people can't handle your speed, although this shouldn't be a problem if you were (hypothetically) using torrents.

• 1 month later...

If your (hypothetically) using torrents, this (hypothetically) should scream. Your ratio would go through the roof. I'm just waiting for it to appear here (hottest place in us, Arizona), the basic plan is faster and cheaper than the cable service thats here now.

My neighbor got it and he doesnt have his wireless router protected :)

I've been using it on and off, but i find that my BellDSL is plenty fast and has a much lower latency then FiOS. When trying to play Cod2 on FiOS i can barely join any server cause my ping is around 250, while on bell dsl its about 50.

• 3 weeks later...

Then you're fios sucks.

I've had extremely low pings playing wow and CS:S, usually from practically 0 to 20ms. The worst it's been was over 500ms, but that was the servers fault.

Upload could be better, but for downloading, and torrenting, it's a dream. Gone are the days where my torrents hog up the download bandwidth.

i live dead center in the middle of hickland (aka indiana), most people here havnt heard of windows xp, os x or dsl. i bet it will be a while before this is avalible for me

wait... so then what do they use.... system II and windows 3.1?

---i totally want FIOS but my parents are technotards and wont get it over cable :thumbsdown_anim:

Very nice I'm gonna be switching over soon right now i have Optimum and its OK heres the speedtest:

145407389.png

I saw the guys set it up a while back and it looks awesome. Even though both services (Optimum and Fios) are fiber optic for some reason Fios is faster lol. I wonder how Optimum Boost would compete?

95 with dial up. (not kidding, people here where astonished using our internet)

wow 95 - that means that they could actually do the "tutorials for harmless hackers" thingy

95 with dial up. (not kidding, people here where astonished using our internet)

wow 95 - that means that they could actually do the "tutorials for harmless hackers" thingy