The Asus P5LD2-VM How-To Guide

DiaboliK

243 posts in this topic

Hi all, this is a follow up to my post of April 20, located top of page 8 in this thread.

Got a fully working modern computer with the help of and thanks to: DiaboliK, JaS, Semthex, Bofors and Rammjet. My experience might help others, particularly if they are coming to this project from the Mac side, with little experience in Windows.

First of all, to set up Bios without Windows, you will need a floppy drive to use the ASUS EZ Flash utility to update your Bios. As I am using a newer processor ( e4400), my Bios needed updating. I have a biege G3 with a floppy drive and used this to make a PC formated floppy disk, under OS 9, to transfer the Bios to update the ASUS motherboard. I read the ASUS user guide carefully, printed DiaboliK's instructions and set up the bios much as he did, using motherboard video, however.

I used Bofors' tip from his first tutorial to burn the JaS 10.4.8 AMD/intel DVD. To do this you need to burn your DVD in Disk Utility on your Mac using the Convert function to burn a DVD/CD master. Confusingly, this produces a .cdr image, but it works fine.

This next tip, from Rammjet in another thread, might help Antic with the blinking cursor/blank screen problem. In setting up the hard drive, it must be initialized as a Fat32 partition first. You can do this with the Disk Utility on the JaS DVD by choosing MS-DOS, which makes it a Fat32 partition. Then it can be initialized as a Mac OS Extended (Journaled) partition. The install will be recognized as a bootable drive.

Will be overclocking this machine using Wallstreet's instructions, see link on DiaboliK's first post, but will be posting results on that thread.

Oh, and tomnhanni, thanks for your reply to my first post, I didn't follow your suggestions, but I appreciate the input.

Regards.

"First of all, to set up Bios without Windows, you will need a floppy drive to use the ASUS EZ Flash utility to update your Bios. As I am using a newer processor ( e4400), my Bios needed updating. I have a biege G3 with a floppy drive and used this to make a PC formated floppy disk, under OS 9, to transfer the Bios to update the ASUS motherboard. I read the ASUS user guide carefully, printed DiaboliK's instructions and set up the bios much as he did, using motherboard video, however."

If you don't have a floppy drive you can also burn the bios files to a CD and that will work fine as well. Info is in your ASUS user guide.

Hello!

I've bought a sata 2 seagate hard disk (was using an Maxtor ATA), and looking in system profiler appears this:

Shouldn't appear Intel AHCI and that stuff in Serial-ATA section?

Thank you!

Edit: I think the p5ld2-vm doesn't have any raid or ahci capabilities so...

Anyway, it's correct the information shown?

Thanks again.

mac.tiff

Thanks Schwinn555, I had tried the CD bios method with a Toast hybrid CD, but that didn't work. However, for the next bios update I'll use the CD/DVD master conversion to see if that works.

As I said before, everything works, including sleep, which surprised me, as others seemed to have difficulty with this.

Because I mentioned this in my first post, I'll include it here. I used the auto overclock function in Bios to overclock this machine 10%, from 2GB @ 800 MHz to 2.2 GB @ 880 MHz. Above this, the machine would not boot, so further progress needs Wallstreet's instructions I guess.

Regards.

Thanks Schwinn555, I had tried the CD bios method with a Toast hybrid CD, but that didn't work. However, for the next bios update I'll use the CD/DVD master conversion to see if that works.

As I said before, everything works, including sleep, which surprised me, as others seemed to have difficulty with this.

Because I mentioned this in my first post, I'll include it here. I used the auto overclock function in Bios to overclock this machine 10%, from 2GB @ 800 MHz to 2.2 GB @ 880 MHz. Above this, the machine would not boot, so further progress needs Wallstreet's instructions I guess.

Regards.

MacAndStuff, sleep works to me, but when I wake, have to replug the usb devices as bluetooth or usb mouse, but the USB 2.0 ports, like tdt and cinema display hub works well after wake, any solution?

Thank you!

Hi zztopzz, I've been playing with USB since your post, but for me, all is well. Did some looking in the forums and Rammjet has some great advice in the Stickies section of the Tutorial's pages. See the info on USB in the Misc Solutions Sticky.

Good luck.

Hi Macandstuff, thanks for replying.

I've seen the Rammjet solution, but in the apples web, there isn't usbfamily.kext for the 10.4.10, the one my computer has, so I tried downloading the 10.4.9 package but no luck.

It's a bit annoying... if i plug the bluetooth stick to the cinema display rear hub, it wakes correctly, but if I plug it to the motherboard usb ports... it appears as: Not available.

Thank you anyway :)

The original JAS 10.4.8 install worked alright for me, but for some reason I reinstalled and have been having a world of problems. I think I'm going to go with the uphuck 10.4.9 Intel x86 install dvd v1.4i... I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing, but just in case, could someone let me know what settings I should use on install with the p5ld2-vm running a celeron d and a 7900gs?

Thanks all!

Hi!

Could I plug a pair of crucial ballistix pc-6400 800 MHz ram in the p5ld2-vm ??

In the specs it says only 533 and 667 memories.

THank you!

Will I realise an improvement in speed or stability?? (With my 2gb of kingston 667 ram, my system freezes sometimes)

Hi!

Could I plug a pair of crucial ballistix pc-6400 800 MHz ram in the p5ld2-vm ??

In the specs it says only 533 and 667 memories.

THank you!

Will I realise an improvement in speed or stability?? (With my 2gb of kingston 667 ram, my system freezes sometimes)

Well, DDR2-667 is the standard memory for this chipset and so this board. If you plug-in a DDR2-800, it will be automatically set to run at 667 MHz by the BIOS. You can however manually set the RAM speed to 800 MHz in BIOS. Just make sure you check that the RAM timings and voltage are set correctly (and possibly raise the PCIe frequency to 118MHz). Using pc2-6400 RAM will make the system and applications start faster, but you probably won't really feel it. If your system freezes (due to ram), then check the RAM voltage and timings.

Correct me if I'm wrong. :)

post-21972-1185459774_thumb.jpg

Well, DDR2-667 is the standard memory for this chipset and so this board. If you plug-in a DDR2-800, it will be automatically set to run at 667 MHz by the BIOS. You can however manually set the RAM speed to 800 MHz in BIOS. Just make sure you check that the RAM timings and voltage are set correctly (and possibly raise the PCIe frequency to 118MHz). Using pc2-6400 RAM will make the system and applications start faster, but you probably won't really feel it. If your system freezes (due to ram), then check the RAM voltage and timings.

Correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Hi!

I have set the SPD to configure automatically the memory setting, anyway, I'll try to put them manually following the manufacturer specs. If this solves the problem I won't buy another RAM.

Thank you, your info has been really interesting!

Edit: I know it's the RAM because if I let only one memory stick, i have no problems at all, but if I put both of them (dual channel), it freezes anytime instead, mostly when i download something, (transmission usually), and I've just changed the hard disk so...

Thanks again!

Hi!

I have set the SPD to configure automatically the memory setting, anyway, I'll try to put them manually following the manufacturer specs. If this solves the problem I won't buy another RAM.

Thank you, your info has been really interesting!

Edit: I know it's the RAM because if I let only one memory stick, i have no problems at all, but if I put both of them (dual channel), it freezes anytime instead, mostly when i download something, (transmission usually), and I've just changed the hard disk so...

Thanks again!

That's a tell tale sign of ram. I had similar problems, mainly everything I downloaded was corrupted and i finally changed my ram for newer kingston ram and the problem was gone.

Does anyone know whether this board is discontinued or not? It's out of stock everywhere, even my local computer shops here in Cairo. It used to be everywhere. Are they preparing a new revision?

my computer: mainboard:P5LD2-VM

ram:512MB

1 hard drive 80g

i have installed macosx86 10.4.8 but when i boot macos I get this message everytime I turn on my computer "Hold down the power button for several seconds or press the Restart button" . How can i fix it??

Does anyone know whether this board is discontinued or not? It's out of stock everywhere, even my local computer shops here in Cairo. It used to be everywhere. Are they preparing a new revision?

Have a look at The Asus P5LD2-VM DH r2.0. Its exactly the same board but also has SATA raid. I have it working 100% with Jas 10.4.9. Upgraded to Koolkal 10.4.10

make sure you get a revision r2.0 as this supports core 2 duo

Only need to patch sound with Taruga's ALC882 Sound Fix v0.4b

<br />bestfriend, press F8 before the white apple screen, type -v and tell us which errors appear...also give us more info about your computer...<br />
<br /><br /><br /> my cpu is intel pen 4 3.06Ghz

Select your Partiton you just made. click install, now on the next page click Customize.

"i cannot see these following packages:

10.4.4 Login Window, and GMA950 if you are using onboard Video". where can i choose it to install??

• 2 weeks later...

Hello.

Could anyone, with a 10.4.10 with 8.10.1 kernel working fine, upload his AppleACPIPlatform.kext and PM me with the link? Please???

I unfortunately deleted it and when I start, it freezes at "Started CPU01" ... :)

Thank you!

Only need to patch sound with Taruga's ALC882 Sound Fix v0.4b

That doesn't work for me.

I've found an automated 10.4.10 update on the green demon, and allthough all seem ok, i can't make the sound to work.

How did you do it?

Regards

That doesn't work for me.

I've found an automated 10.4.10 update on the green demon, and allthough all seem ok, i can't make the sound to work.

How did you do it?

Regards

This might sound odd but first I had to reload the Azalia.Audio.Pkg. Check to see if you have 2 channel sound working.

Reinstall Taruga's ALC882 Sound Fix v0.4b

Delete the Azalia kexts located in System/Library/Extensions

In Terminal type the following

sudo -s

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

reboot.

Then I got my full working audio back.

Hope this helps

If the solution given by antic does not work for you, kle500, try this:

Delete ALCInject.kext & AppleHDA.kext , then install the Taruga's 0.4 pkg, repair permissions, delete Extensions.kext and Extensions.cache (those two files, you know...) and restart, it should be OK.

Bye!

This might sound odd but first I had to reload the Azalia.Audio.Pkg. Check to see if you have 2 channel sound working.Reinstall Taruga's ALC882 Sound Fix v0.4bDelete the Azalia kexts located in System/Library/ExtensionsIn Terminal type the followingsudo -schown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensionschmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensionskextcache -k /System/Library/Extensionsreboot.Then I got my full working audio back.Hope this helps
Although i haven't found any Azalia kexts, i tried the above with no luck.I will try the "YoMus" way now, and i will post later
If the solution given by antic does not work for you, kle500, try this:Delete ALCInject.kext & AppleHDA.kext , then install the Taruga's 0.4 pkg, repair permissions, delete Extensions.kext and Extensions.cache (those two files, you know...) and restart, it should be OK.Bye!
LOL Also can't find any from the following: ALCInject.kext & AppleHDA.kext

Notice that i have allready installed 0.4 pkg, but no audio in any output (no devices in sounds)

kle500 Sorry to hear it didn't work for you. It is possible I might have missed something.

I can't help at the moment due to work commitments but tomorrow I will do a fresh install on a spare drive starting with Jas 10.4.8 then upgrade to 10.4.9 and to Koolkal 10.4.10 making a note of everything i do hopefully we can get to the bottom of this. I'll report back tomorrow evening

kle500, you have to delete both files (and if you installed 0.4.pkg you must have them) and then reinstall the package, delete cache files and restart. Try again, i think I did it a couple of times :P