The Asus P5LD2-VM How-To Guide

DiaboliK

243 posts in this topic

Although i am not sure what you mean NX in bios, i am using the Latest Jas image right now, with many apps installed for testing.

Also installed all software updates succesfully.

I have some observations though and i need some help here.

Last night i was testing Photoshop CS3, and Garageband.

They work ok, but:

1) In CS3, the redraw of some test files i have, (made them in CS2 in XP) is slower than on the XP, also if i grab the picture with the hand tool and move the picture quickly (left-right-up-down) in both CS3 in my 2 machines (osx86 and XP), in XP the redraw is snappy, but not as snappy in OsX.

In XP i use an 965 Intel board using the onboard X3000, and in OsX the onboard GMA950 of the P5LD2-VM.

I am not so happy with that, as i believe a real iMac will do much better.

2) In garageband, which works ok, if i start dragging loops in timeline, i get sluggish, instant pauses.

And in case i have some loops playing (in loop mode), and try to listen some other loops in realtime, system gets sluggish, and as i drag new loops in timeline, the more sluggish it comes.

Is this happening in real macs too?

BTW, my audio is working via AppleHDA 0.4b installer

My machines are allmost the same.

Anyone has same symptoms?

Regards

My machine is just ready and have been trying few apps. My machine is kind of sluggish yet and a lot more of optimization to be done. One of my components - (the main one) the Graphics Card, has still not be ordered. Can you please let me know which one would you suggest.... i just want a card which can help in running FCP without any glitches :hysterical: .... I am facing a small "AppleIntel915.kext" error... Did u get this as well... if yes, how did u sort it out? :hysterical:

Me

My machine is just ready and have been trying few apps. My machine is kind of sluggish yet and a lot more of optimization to be done. One of my components - (the main one) the Graphics Card, has still not be ordered. Can you please let me know which one would you suggest.... i just want a card which can help in running FCP without any glitches :thumbsup_anim: .... I am facing a small "AppleIntel915.kext" error... Did u get this as well... if yes, how did u sort it out? :whistle:

Me

I don't have any issue with AppleIntel915.kext".

I never had anything like that.

As for the Graphics, i changed the onboard with a Gainward Bliss7600GS passive and i saw more smooth reaction on everything.

But on FCP i didn't see any big difference (maybe a small).

The glitched you mention.... can you describe the problem in more details?

Comparing the FCP on Osx and PremierePro2 on XP on the same machine (on different Hard Drives but identical type), the feeling of scrubbing the timeline on Premiere is Real Time, but on FCP is not, i get a Delay moving around the timeline. (same Pal DV AVI clip).

All in all, i can say that something is missing in my setup too, although i have 2G memory.

What are you comparing your machine with?

What sluggish symptoms you have?

Do you have QE/CI fully working?

What HDD you use?

HDD makes a lot of difference.

Regards

Hi very nice How-tos. Anyone able to get the wake up to work? When I push sleep on the keyboard it goes to sleep but then i cant get it to wake up -- have to hit the power button on the case then it just restarts. :o

If you put your 640 CPU in the asus board, and use paulicat's speedstep kernel and extensions you should get sleep. It's a bit of a lottery with sleep.

Hi!,

Finally I have my computer running with the topic's mobo and a e6400...

I installed the 10.4.8 dvd like diabolik says in the first post and everything is OK... but since there is

a new kernel someone could write a mini-howto update from .8 to .9 (with the best kernel for our mobo)

I tried installing the Jas' last 10.4.9 update but it messed up all... :thumbsup_anim:

Thank you!!!

Edit: In "About This Mac" it shows 1GB 0 MHz SDRAM, is this normal? I have a 667 mhz ddr2 stick...

Edit 2: I have the S3 sleep mode in BIOS, when I put to sleep the system shuts down, and when I move the mouse it starts from the POST... Is this the way supposed to be? (I never played with this feature)

THanks Again!! ;P

I don't have any issue with AppleIntel915.kext".

I never had anything like that.

As for the Graphics, i changed the onboard with a Gainward Bliss7600GS passive and i saw more smooth reaction on everything.

But on FCP i didn't see any big difference (maybe a small).

The glitched you mention.... can you describe the problem in more details?

Comparing the FCP on Osx and PremierePro2 on XP on the same machine (on different Hard Drives but identical type), the feeling of scrubbing the timeline on Premiere is Real Time, but on FCP is not, i get a Delay moving around the timeline. (same Pal DV AVI clip).

All in all, i can say that something is missing in my setup too, although i have 2G memory.

What are you comparing your machine with?

What sluggish symptoms you have?

Do you have QE/CI fully working?

What HDD you use?

HDD makes a lot of difference.

Regards

The AppleIntel915.kext error occurs on startup. I use a Western Digital 250 GB Sata and my QE/CI are not working. I am not aware of what this is and couple of pals told me that it is related to the Graphics Card which i still dont Own. I am looking forward to buy one. As of now, i've installed FCP, Toast & Shake which refuses to login.

My machine is sluggish in the sense, it is got slight nagging issues. I still have few other components which have to be bought

1. Monitor - Have to change - Any suggestions :)

2. Graphics Card - Need to buy one - Any suggestions :P

3. 1 more GB RAM.... :lol:

Please let me know whether there are any forums which can help me in removing the AppleIntel915.Kext error as well..

Thanks in advance

Thanks DiaboliK, for the guide! I finally got my Rev 2 board in (had a hard time finding this board in stock anywhere), and have my Hackintosh working, with a couple of issues:

tterminal: I'm getting the AppleIntel915.kext error popping up after every boot as mentioned in the previous reply. You might try what they mention here. I haven't tried it yet, but I will let you know how it goes.

I've got the internal graphics adaptor working at 1600x1200, but show no QE/CI in System Profiler. Related to the 915 kext error, maybe?

The biggest issue for me now is to get my graphics card (PNY Nvidia Quadro NVS 280 PCI - Device ID: 032A) working. I installed with JaS 10.4.8 Intel / AMD iso, with my card removed. Now, if I insert the card, the machine freezes on the grey apple boot screen. Booting with -v appears to show Natit firing up and recognizing the card (it prints out the correct name of the card), then loginwindow.app starts, and that's as far as it gets.

I'm not sure what I should do at this point. I want to end up with the internal adaptor (preferably with QE/CI) *and* the Quadro active at the same time. Any thoughts?

Thanks DiaboliK, for the guide! I finally got my Rev 2 board in (had a hard time finding this board in stock anywhere), and have my Hackintosh working, with a couple of issues:

tterminal: I'm getting the AppleIntel915.kext error popping up after every boot as mentioned in the previous reply. You might try what they mention here. I haven't tried it yet, but I will let you know how it goes.

I've got the internal graphics adaptor working at 1600x1200, but show no QE/CI in System Profiler. Related to the 915 kext error, maybe?

The biggest issue for me now is to get my graphics card (PNY Nvidia Quadro NVS 280 PCI - Device ID: 032A) working. I installed with JaS 10.4.8 Intel / AMD iso, with my card removed. Now, if I insert the card, the machine freezes on the grey apple boot screen. Booting with -v appears to show Natit firing up and recognizing the card (it prints out the correct name of the card), then loginwindow.app starts, and that's as far as it gets.

I'm not sure what I should do at this point. I want to end up with the internal adaptor (preferably with QE/CI) *and* the Quadro active at the same time. Any thoughts?

Thanks RubySolo :wacko: ... I ll wait for your trial and let me know the process :rolleyes: . I got the GMA950 :thumbsup_anim: to work and also got it QE/CI enabled... I only need to get the 915 Kext issue sorted out.

All the best to you... Let me know how it goes :2cents:

I don't know if there's anyway to have a 945 bios init, both the PCI slot and the integrated graphics -let alone a hacked os X. If natit/titan/nvidiEFI kexts can't fire it up you might need to sell it and get a nice PCIE card.

tterminal: Okay, I got rid of the AppleIntel915 error message. It looks like even though I selected GMA950 during the installation, the Installer installed the 915 instead. Here's how I fixed it...

hackintosh:/System/Library/Extensions me$ mkdir ~/deleted_kexts       
hackintosh:/System/Library/Extensions me$ ls | grep 915
AppleIntel915.kext
AppleIntel915GA.plugin
AppleIntel915GLDriver.bundle
hackintosh:/System/Library/Extensions me$ sudo mv AppleIntel915* ~/deleted_kexts/
Password:
hackintosh:/System/Library/Extensions me$ ls | grep 950
hackintosh:/System/Library/Extensions me$ 

I suspect that's all you'll need to do, if you already have QE/CI support.

At this point, since I had no 950 support, I dropped in the installer DVD (JaS 10.4.8 AMD/Intel SSE2/SSE3), navigated to "System/Installation/Packages" and installed "JaS.10.4.8.GMA.950.Support.pkg". After installation completed, I had 950 support:

hackintosh:/System/Library/Extensions me$ ls | grep 950
AppleIntelGMA950.kext
AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin
AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver.bundle
AppleIntelGMA950VADriver.bundle

After a reboot, System Profiler shows QE/CI support on the internal adaptor. Screen saver looks better now -- it looked like I was getting about 3 fps before, now it's smooth. I see a few artifacts, but it's acceptible. :thumbsup_anim:

Now for the second graphics card...

Hi.

First post to the forms, although I've been an avid reader for some months now. Interested in this topic because I want a 100% working hack in a form, that like many here have noted, is not currently available in the Apple line-up. Now giving where I'm coming from, typing this on a beige G3 with a 900 MGz processor(at 933 MGz), a Mac Mini would be a big step up. But, upgrades to that mac are difficult and expensive and the thought of an almost endlessly upgradeable tower is very appealing. This is especially so with the 945 boards with on-board video, yet slots for upgrades if needed-something Mini's and iMac's don't have.

So I currently have the P5LD2-VM 2.0 board, a 160 Gb sata drive, a pioneer DVD burner and an Antec Sonata ll case with 450 watt power supply. Will get two 512 Mg modules of ram when I get a processor, which leads to some questions. Planning on an intel e4400 processor because of the 10 times multiplier, which would seem to be good for overclocking on these 945 motherboards that seem to be bus limited. Good choice? Now the stock 2 GHz processor speed is faster than any Mini, but faster still would be even better. This cpu is an Allendale, would a bios upgrade be necessary because it is not a Conroe? On overclocking, the Asus User Guide indicates Overclock Options in the Advanced menu where it states that up to a 30% overclock is possible with a preset value. Anyone take advantage of this feature?

Will detail progress of project as it proceeds.

Hi Macandstuff

As far as your choice on CPUs I would definately go with the E6 series like the E6400 2.13ghz. First it has the 1066mhz FSB big plus take advantage of the P5LD2s 1066 FSB. You will see more performance increase than if you overclock a E4400. As far as I can see it would only cost you up to 50$ more for the E6400. If your budget allows. If you want more MHZ than go with the E6600 at 2.4ghz. I'm not really a big Fan on OC'ing and especially not in OSX because of the monitoring issues. Maybe someone else has an oppinion on OC'ing.

If you go an put some CL4 667 Ram in there with an E6400 i dont think you need to overclock that baby.

My suggestions:

CPU E6400 2.13Ghz 1066 FSB 4MB cache---------------------------@ 200$

RAM 2x 1gb Corsair XMS2 (TWIN2X2048-5400c4) 667mhz CL4 --@ 100$

I've managed to get hold of one from misco.co.uk

However, i need a new DVD drive and am wondering if I will run into problems if I order a sata dvd drive with this motherboard. Does anyone know of any problems with using a sata dvd drive?

Thanks (again)

I've managed to get hold of one from misco.co.uk

However, i need a new DVD drive and am wondering if I will run into problems if I order a sata dvd drive with this motherboard. Does anyone know of any problems with using a sata dvd drive?

Thanks (again)

Yes, I have heard that sata DVD drives could cause problems. I would recommend a nice pioneer dvdrw for IDE (connected to the BLUE port on P5LD2-VM). I got one for less than $40 from newegg, probably ten dollars less now.

Anyways, I've had no problems with that setup with Ultra-ATA 100 channel, and most DVD drives won't exceed the ATA bus speeds. I think at about 16x DVD speeds it transfers about 20-30 MB per second tops.

Hi guys,

I've been trying to get audio on my P5LD2VM/C without much success.

Originally when I've installed OsX I had a SoundBlaster PCI128, on which I was able to play back music, but after like 40-50sec of playback the sound became garbled, only pause/play solved it. Then I removed the PCI card, and enabled the Intel HDA from BIOS. The sound card was not recognized immediately. I had to install an AppleHDA.kext from aprev ver. of OS X in order to make it work. Now I have playback, but I'm not able to use the volume control, there are only 2 possibilities: mute or full vol. nothing between.

I've tried all sorts of editing of kexts, as suggested on this forum. AppleAzalia doesn't work. Neither does Diabolik's ALC880 installer, modified for my dev ID.

To be noted that the mobo of mine has a Realtek ALC882 codec.

Any idea pleople?

Hello, i have the P5LD2-VM board.

I've used OSX86 for more than one year (10.4.5 - 10.4.9).

However, my harddisk performance is low, I guess since 10.4.8.

Sustainable reads are about 30-40 mb/s (S-ata). Before, the performance was almost 90.

People who have P5LD2-VM, what is your xbench harddisk performance?

ps. I installed paulicat fixes (SMBIOS/IOATA) but that does not change a thing.

btw. the board works very stable with OSX86.